PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a measurement from a Tikka T3 hunter

JohnnyNitrous
03-11-2017, 04:19 PM
I am sending my scope out to have a turret installed and my rifle is at the gunsmith right now so I can't measure mine.
I need to know the exact measurement from the center of the bore to the top of the receiver/rail mount. Not sure if it matters but it is a .30-06

Thanks if anyone can help out

Haywire1
03-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Generally its bore center to scope center you need. Which would depend on ring height as well as what mounts, 20 moa rail, 10 moa rail, 0 moa rail, leuold, tally, weaver bases, factory tikka etc. Shouldnt affect turret installation at all, since after its installed you would be zeroing anyhow.

Maybe i am just not understanding why you need bore center to mount height.

JohnnyNitrous
03-11-2017, 10:18 PM
That is the measurement I am trying to come up with. I forgot to get it before I took the scope and rings off. I have the height of my mount from base to scope center. I just need to add the other measurement to that. Otherwise I will be waiting a few weeks before I can send it out. Just trying to save a bit of time is all.

Joshua13
03-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Can someone explain how I turret is added to a scope? Like don't don't hey just come with or without? Why would you just buy a new scope with one already there?

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

Buster
03-12-2017, 01:09 AM
Part of the ballistic solution requires knowing the height of the scope/line of sight to calculate the trajectory angle required for the bullet to rise and fall from the muzzle to the line of sight.

This will effect the entire solution for all ranges although an approximation is all that is necessary as the correction essentially inconsequential.

For example this .243win with 100gr federals with a scope height of 1.6" and zeroes at 100m calls for a correction of 10.77moa to counter a drop of 61.71" at 500m.

Change that scope height by a drastic value to 2.1" and the new numbers are 10.42moa and 59.71".

Less than 1/2 moa and precisely 1" poi shift at 500m.

Buster
03-12-2017, 01:16 AM
Can someone explain how I turret is added to a scope? Like don't don't hey just come with or without? Why would you just buy a new scope with one already there?

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk
Typically scopes come with either mill radian, inch per 100y or Minutes of angle graduations.
What this fellow is doing is having custom turrets with range calculations based on his rifle/cartridges trajectory calibrations calculated and the according yardage or meters used as a graduation on the turret caps. So rather than remembering 200m is 1.5moa, 300m is 4.5moa, 400m being 7.5 moa... Ect... The turret is already calibrated and marked for these ranges.

JohnnyNitrous
03-12-2017, 01:36 AM
Unfortunately for me I have to send my scope to be retrofitted for a turret but need this measurement before I can do so. I'm pretty sure it is around 1.6" but I want to be sure.

The rifle is out getting a brake installed as well as the action bedded so I want this thing as dialed in as possible.

Haywire1
03-12-2017, 01:57 AM
While i get what your looking for, until you get your rifle back, not much anyone can help with, since as i said earlier, you would need to find someone with your exact rail setup.

Just a note on the dialed in portion, as Buster said, the difference of a half inch above bore hieght works out to 1" difference at 500 yards(243). Fps variation and barrel heating up would affect it far more. I know a lot of guys who just mount a scope, zero it, and shoot out to 1000. I know one who stuck the scope on, zeroed on a rock in the berm, and shot out to 1000 with hits on every 100 increments without hieght over bore being measured.

Realistically out to what a cds on a scope will do accurately, an estimate is fine. Beyond that, your adjusting turrets for windage and elevation anyways. Your best bet will be to wait until you get your rifle back, although i know thats not the answer your looking for.

JohnnyNitrous
03-12-2017, 02:15 AM
Any rifle like mine would do. I only need the measurement from bore center to the top of the receiver aka the part where you would put a rail or mount. I have a DNZ game reaper mount and it is exactly 1.09" from the base of it to scope center.

Haywire1
03-12-2017, 02:38 AM
Ah ok, i didnt realize you had the mount measurement. I apologize. I know there is a few guys on here who have tikkas, jwirecom for one. If i have a chance to get out to a buddy's place I'll measure his for you.

Side note, calibre doesnt matter, the only difference in the t3 action in regards to caliber is the length of the bolt stop. Bore center will always be the same. :)

Buster
03-12-2017, 02:39 AM
Unfortunately for me I have to send my scope to be retrofitted for a turret but need this measurement before I can do so. I'm pretty sure it is around 1.6" but I want to be sure.

The rifle is out getting a brake installed as well as the action bedded so I want this thing as dialed in as possible

If you are off 1/10" you will only be off by 1/10 of a
Moa. At 500m we are talking 1/4". Not 1/4 moa but 1/4" at 500m. Absolutely inconsequential. While I understand you want to take all the variables out of the equation, this one in particular isn't one to lose sleep over. Pick a number and run with it. Due to all the bases and rings available you need to measure your rifle and you're rifle only.

That' said my .243 axis with a 40mm objective hunkered down close to the barrel is 1.6", and my .300wm with a 50mm is 1.8".

Just pick a number and go but 1.6" does sound quite likely.

This data is entry is the least of your concernes. .1moa means nothing for your purpose. It doesn't even factor in. It's a number that is rounded out in any calculation you would be making.

With your setup your week points are going to be elevation, temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure. Those elements will make those turret numbers little more than approximations and that .1moa is just as likely to help you as it is to hurt you.

Buster
03-12-2017, 02:50 AM
Douple post

JohnnyNitrous
03-12-2017, 08:07 AM
Great info, thanks guys.

JohnnyNitrous
03-12-2017, 08:08 AM
I'm going to go with 1.6 if I cant get a measurement in the next few days.

BrotherRockeye
03-12-2017, 10:00 AM
.5405 measured from the top of the receiver to the center of the firing pin with the bolt open on my T3 7RM

also 1.5" scope height is a standard on 3 different ballistics programs I have.

JohnnyNitrous
03-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Looks like I was pretty damn close on my 1.6 guess! Thanks alot!

Justice
03-13-2017, 10:09 AM
"...send my scope to be retrofitted for a turret..." Cost you a whole lot less to just buy a new scope with turrets. However, like Haywire1 says, the height above will be different with different rings and bases.
"...the new numbers are..." Mostly irrelevant. As they're likely the result of playing with a ballistics calculator. Your Federal 100 grain .243, sighted in at 200 yards, is going to drop based on the MV, ~ 41.4" at 500 yards.

Haywire1
03-13-2017, 11:26 AM
"...send my scope to be retrofitted for a turret..." Cost you a whole lot less to just buy a new scope with turrets. However, like Haywire1 says, the height above will be different with different rings and bases.
"...the new numbers are..." Mostly irrelevant. As they're likely the result of playing with a ballistics calculator. Your Federal 100 grain .243, sighted in at 200 yards, is going to drop based on the MV, ~ 41.4" at 500 yards.

Cost more for a retrofit? Assuming he has a leupold, retrofit cost is about $200 give or take, what scope are you suggesting, an nc star? And that has notbing to do with his question.

Aside from that, if you read the thread before spouting off, you would see his question was answered a while ago

BrotherRockeye
03-13-2017, 12:58 PM
:agree:

we need one of those la la la smileys with it's fingers in it's ears :)

JohnnyNitrous
03-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Haha I think I will keep my Zeiss thank you