PDA

View Full Version : Non-refurb numbers matching 51 Tula.

Zeegler
03-11-2017, 08:00 PM
I went to Canadian Tire today, mainly to grab some 303 British for my Lee Enfield. It's not my local store, so I spent some time looking at their nice assortment of guns and found a really nice 1951 Tula SKS. First thing I noticed after picking it up was that it's blued instead of BBQ painted. It's got very little if any noticeable wear, but the stock has a few bumps and bruises. I pull the dust cover off and check out the bolt, and turns out bolt, carrier, receiver and dust cover and stock all have the same stamped original serial number. There are no refurb markings anywhere on the gun that I can see. Since it was 8% Canadian Tire money day I grabbed it and brought it home. When I got home I spent a few hours cleaning out the cosmoline, and then grabbed my barrel light and had a good look at the bore. I'm no expert, but I swear this thing is unfired. The rifling is pristine. Unbelievable.

Here are my two. The 51 is the top one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/zeegler/IMG_20170311_200709_zps464oggbm.jpg

I'll get more detailed pics tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dewey Cox
03-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Nice find.
It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to know there are still nice ones floating around out there.

kennymo
03-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Have to swing by the local CT one of these days. The ones that carry guns are a bit of a drive. Last one I picked up there was a really nice white letter job.

Zeegler
03-12-2017, 06:47 AM
Maybe I just got really lucky, but this was the second one I looked at. The first was your typical laminated stock, BBQ painted 1954 with forced match serials. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't have needed to buy it. They were also more than willing to let me go out back and sort through their stock of 40 SKSs. That's right, they have 40 in stock!!! Who knows what gems are lurking back there?

Oh yeah, I should also mention, prices went up a couple of weeks ago. This store was selling all SKSs for $229 until a couple weeks ago. Then they bumped up the Russian ones to $269. The sports dept manager was very friendly and helpful, and he told me that they have another price increase on all SKSs coming in April. Time to stock up!

Steveo9mm
03-12-2017, 08:22 AM
i had the chance to pick and choose. mines a 54 tula with perfect rifling and all matching # as well.

kennymo
03-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Maybe I just got really lucky, but this was the second one I looked at. The first was your typical laminated stock, BBQ painted 1954 with forced match serials. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't have needed to buy it. They were also more than willing to let me go out back and sort through their stock of 40 SKSs. That's right, they have 40 in stock!!! Who knows what gems are lurking back there?

Oh yeah, I should also mention, prices went up a couple of weeks ago. This store was selling all SKSs for $229 until a couple weeks ago. Then they bumped up the Russian ones to $269. The sports dept manager was very friendly and helpful, and he told me that they have another price increase on all SKSs coming in April. Time to stock up!

If the right employee was working, one of the local CT's here would let you into the warehouse to sift through the surplus crates. Not sure if they still do. I've had the guys at WSS open up the crates as well, to dig me out a hex receiver 91/30.

Billythreefeathers
03-12-2017, 09:32 AM
If the right employee was working, one of the local CT's here would let you into the warehouse to sift through the surplus crates. Not sure if they still do. I've had the guys at WSS open up the crates as well, to dig me out a hex receiver 91/30.

yep Canadian Tire in Swift,, that's how I found my Mosin.

Likeaboss
03-12-2017, 12:06 PM

Just popped into my local CT gun shop. As expected the Russian SKS have indeed increased in price, $269 here as well.

Of course I couldn't resist grabbing a crate of corrosive Chinese 7.62 'while I was in there anyway'...

altitude604
03-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Nice find!

I'm awful tempted to pick up a second one myself.

Mountain Cat
03-18-2017, 10:48 PM
Hey Guys,

Just curious which CT it was in Calgary had the nice one you mentioned and will let a guy go back to sift through them??

Thanks,
Cat