PDA

View Full Version : clean and prepping a goose

Woodsman
09-12-2012, 02:47 AM
Ive herd alot of people only worry about the breast when cleaning and cooking geese? is it not worth cleaning the whole thing like a turkey? Or is there not enough meat to worry about other than whats there on the breast?

Westicle
09-12-2012, 04:30 AM
Usually I just pull the feathers right off the breast and use a fillet knife and take the breast right off the bone... takes about 5 minutes to do and frankly it is about the only good parts of the bird, usually end up with 2x breasts about the size of a boneless turkey breast, enough to serve one breast to one person.

soak it in a brine or marinate overnight and they are great.

i tried doing the whole bird with my first goose kill and frankly for me it was not worth it.

JustBen
09-12-2012, 07:34 AM
It depends on how many geese I get and what I'm planning to do with them. A whole roast goose is nice on occasion. But more often than not, I get more ducks than geese, and ducks are hardly worth doing anything more than breasting.

On the other hand, I pluck every upland bird. I enjoy roasting them more I guess.

I'm going to try making some duck/goose sausage this year if I get enough.

Woodsman
09-13-2012, 04:40 AM
Ya i want to make some pepperets or sausages. id like to try salami to i love venison salami or pepperets!

Otokiak
09-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Roasted goose is awesome! Most folks up here eat the whole thing like a turkey!

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA