PDA

View Full Version : Hunting hoist fabrication project. Need help improving

Anthony
09-12-2012, 01:46 PM
In my fabrication coarse im making a hunting hoist that attaches to a truck. I need help from serious hunters who use equiptment like this regularly. My model will be a almost exact copy of the one in the picture provided, if anyone is willing to spend a momment of there time criticizing/scaning the photo and could tell me what i can improve and/or change. (i am going to leave that gap from the truck to the hoist so the tailgate can be put down to hold tools/Firearms while you are skinning)

http://www.prohoists.com/Products/photos/632_1.jpg

JustBen
09-12-2012, 02:37 PM
I'd consider making the arm at the top longer. The reason being is so you can get to all sides of the animal and you don't risk warm cold flesh sticking to a frozen metal pole when you spin it around. A bit wider at the base might also give more stability if you get a particularly heavy deer. I'd personally put the arm at the top out to the one side and make the base quite a bit wider for stability. That way, when you are done skinning, you can lay it down quite easily in the bed of the truck and wrap in poly, or you can easily get the spreader bar started in the bed of the truck.

I usually use a chain hoist in the shop, or a front end loader if there is one available.

BMD
09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Definitely make that top arm longer. Like justben said there's a pretty good chance of the deer contacting the upright. The first thing that I thought of was that I like to spin the deer around as I'm skinning it and the hind legs would catch on the upright. Would probably end up annoying the hell out of me. I'd also make the base wider. I'd imagine the little bit of slop in the hitch will translate into allot of movement in the hoist.

blacksmithden
09-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Top arm longer....vertical post longer/higher....think moose size.

road kill
09-13-2012, 04:50 AM
The one i built is similar but comes out to the side of the end gate and piviots so you can swing game in to the truck.

hillbillyr
09-13-2012, 05:35 AM
Top arm longer....vertical post longer/higher....think moose size.

Looks like it telescopes up.

I don't think that is sturdy enough for a moose even with the short arm. The bottom brace is short, I vote for a longer 45 degree bottom brace if you make the top arm longer, as long as you can go with still giving clearance to to the tailgate. This will also suffer from torque issues if not perfectly plumb with larger game methinks.

For deer it looks fantastic

One more thing, it needs more cowbell

Anthony
09-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Hillbillyr is right its just for deer the brace will be improved and everyone else the arm will be extended and i might even make it swivel, Just ben im leaning more towards making the pully system a wire because you can get wires just as strong as a chain, and the chain is more of a saftey issue for two reasons, reason one you have to remeber a chain doesnt flow like wire when it has a heavy weight on it its clunky and when its being fed out what if one of the links is on its side and the weight makes it fall down, now that doesnt sound so bad i mean its only falling one link but what if the deers heavy so many things can go wrong, reason two its two big its easly twice as big as the wire and im trying to make every thing telescopic thanks for the feed back though guys

JustBen
09-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Anthony, you're right on the money with wire cable instead of a chain. I just use a chain hoist because it's already on the sliding rail in the shop.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your build!

BrotherRockeye
09-14-2012, 04:41 PM
where's it plug in..? ;)

hillbillyr
09-14-2012, 07:41 PM
where's it plug in..? ;)

That is a great question and idea. Mount a transportable winch across the back of the box in the same way a headache rack does. Then add a large guide wheel just above the tailgate with the whole post being removable above that point. The winch would hoist the game then remove the post and pull it into the box with the large wheel as a guide. :)

The winch could pull large game into the truck, I am getting a winch this year and mounting it on my headache rack

Rory McCanuck
09-15-2012, 05:45 AM
You can also get those hand crank winches with a 2" nylon strap like a seatbelt, rather than chain or cable.
Then your pullies could just be a piece of pipe, rather than wheels.
Not sure if it would be any better or not, but probably much cheaper.

Anthony
09-17-2012, 09:55 AM
its 14 bucks for a cable pully without cable, and 20 with cable. They sell them at canadian tire