PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Dovetail mounting options

Grizz Axxemann
04-15-2017, 03:56 AM
So with my excessive amount of down time I've slowly started working on a Cooey 64 for my 7 year old nephew.

So while I wait for Haywire to find the spare stock he has I've been looking into a glaring issue that this rifle has: No iron sights. Some yahoo decided to drift out the irons and did a pretty craptastic job of it. It wasn't me, and it wasn't the buddy I got it from (he gave it to me as a project gun to work on after a couple of failed attempts to sell it for super cheap and it sat in the back of my gun closet for a couple of years before I decided to see if it worked.) I had an extra set of scope rings and a 3-9x40 that was also collecting dust (Bushnell Sharpshooter... bottom of the barrel scope, I trust Tasco more than I trust the Sharpshooter line) and mounted it up. The gun shoots, but I don't much like the idea of starting the kid off with a scope, especially one with 100yd parallax that could crap the bed at any given time.

Then I remembered I have a red dot sitting in the closet that once lived on my ex-wife's .22. Dropped a fresh 2032 battery in it and it works. Adjustment turrets still work, brightness works about as well as can be expected from a Walmart special Tasco that I picked up on sale 12 years ago. I thought "PERFECT!" until I remembered it has an integrated weaver mount. Too wide to fit on a 3/8" rimfire tipoff cut. And, TBH, I think teaching the basics with a red dot will be easier for the kid. Irons will come later.

So that leaves me with a couple options:

Get a different red dot. This could prove expensive, and money is something I just don't have right now, and I still have to do one of the bottom options, unless I manage to find a red dot with a 1" tube, then I can reuse the rimfire rings I have. I have a red dot that uses 30mm rings, but finding 30mm rimfire rings is nearly impossible.

Find one of these somewhere. It's NC Star, so I know it's crap, but as long as it doesn't wobble along the dovetail cuts, I really don't care. It's a .22. Thing is, the few places I've found them online, I'm paying double the cost of the part in shipping. THAT is a piss-off. I'd rather pick one up in Edmonton.
https://www.ncstar.com/optics-acc/mounts/other-firearm-mounts/mad38ps-mnt38-to-pic-adp

Find one of these, and then ask around if someone can mill a few extra slots in it, because I know the slots are too far apart. I know Cabela's, Cambodian Tire and NoSale carry them.
http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases/bases/22_tipoff_adaptor/

So those are my limited options, unless this merry band of misfits can collectively come up with a better idea.

Westicle
04-15-2017, 04:23 AM
or just adjust the parallax on the cheap scope..... i did it to the leupold rifleman on my .22

http://www.mcarbo.com/store/pg/33-adjusting-parallax-on-non-ao-scope.aspx

Grizz Axxemann
04-15-2017, 08:43 AM
I don't want to mount a magnified optic on this gun at all. I think I made that point twice when I mentioned RED DOT.

gtr
04-15-2017, 10:03 AM
I think you have already got it figured out. Good luck to you.

lone-wolf
04-15-2017, 05:08 PM
If you go on the airgunner websites(like pyramydair.com), you'll find out which options are decent, apparently UTG are making good ones.

There doesn't seem to be any dovetail compatible red dots out there worth a dang, so the adapter seems like your best bet.

Grizz Axxemann
04-15-2017, 07:50 PM
I think you have already got it figured out. Good luck to you.

Sometimes it's good to ask a second opinion, see if I missed anything, or if there are other options I was unaware of, like below:

If you go on the airgunner websites(like pyramydair.com), you'll find out which options are decent, apparently UTG are making good ones.

There doesn't seem to be any dovetail compatible red dots out there worth a dang, so the adapter seems like your best bet.

Makes sense. From what I've learned, the recoil impulse on an airgun is a lot harder on optics than a .22. Something to do with physics stuff that I've forgotten in the 20 years since I left high school.

Kenwp
04-16-2017, 09:09 AM
There is also adapters for going from the tip off groove to the Weaver groove. Have a set sitting right here.

Grizz Axxemann
04-16-2017, 09:14 AM
The 2 piece bases? I've been looking at those too. I think a 1 piece is going to be the less expensive option, but all options are open right now.

Kenwp
04-17-2017, 05:19 AM
The two piece bases were made by Kwik-Site and were $17.

Specter Arms
04-17-2017, 07:00 AM
I think a dovetail to picatinny adaptor is your best bet. I sell those at gun shows for $15. I am sure you can source one for cheap.

Grizz Axxemann
04-17-2017, 09:51 PM
I think a dovetail to picatinny adaptor is your best bet. I sell those at gun shows for $15. I am sure you can source one for cheap.

As soon as I have $15 to spare, we'll talk.