PDA

View Full Version : First firearm recommendations?

LeMat
04-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm just getting started with shooting, having just passed my PAL and RPAL exams and currently in the waiting period. I'm mostly interested in target shooting --- I had a great time doing it in the army reserves ages ago and am excited to try my hand at pistols in addition to rifles.

The advice I've received so far is that even if I'm ultimately interested in a larger caliber, I should start off with a .22LR pistol and a .22 LR rifle. Cheap and interchangeable ammo, light frames, low recoil... learn the basics and develop good habits before blowing a hole in something. That seems to make sense, and since I'm interested in target shooting I'm in no rush to move up to bigger bores beyond the fact that it's fun to make loud noises. (And it is.)

I'm currently in Toronto, which means I'm going to have a really hard time finding a place that will both let me try out a firearm and sell it to me. I've probably got a maximum budget of about $1000 each, but I'd obviously prefer to keep costs down for something possibly more exciting later.

So just a few questions:

1) Do you agree with the advice about starting with the rimfire guns, or should I start with the calibers I'm interested in sticking with?

2) Do you know of anyplace in or around Toronto where someone can try out a range of firearms before buying them? Ideally someplace with a large selection?

3) Would you recommend choosing from the range of firearms available at whatever range is also a retailer, so that I can be sure it's something comfortable even if I don't find a "perfect fit"; or should I buy something I really like and is well-regarded and then get used to it?

4) If you agree that .22LR is a good starting point and that it might be a good idea to buy before trying, I was thinking about the Sig P226R and the Ruger 10/22. Thoughts? Alternatives?

Thanks!

lone-wolf
04-17-2017, 08:48 AM
I never had a .22 pistol, and went straight to a 45. I think you should get the pistol and calibre you want.
There's a million ruger 10/22s out there, it's a fine choice.

goosesniper
04-17-2017, 09:01 AM
Do your own personal comparisons on the following:
Looks, functionality, colour, caliber, weight, materials, price and of course recommendations.
Myself I like the marlin 22 over the Ruger 22. Rifle
The savage axis is a very accurate rifle. Not as smooth as the more expensive brands but way cheaper.
If money is no object. Buy what you want. If you're on a limited budget then go all out up front with the pistol. They are expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Justice
04-17-2017, 10:20 AM
"...let me try out a firearm..." Few shops, anywhere, will allow that because the firearm instantly becomes a used firearm and they can't sell it as 'new'. You can try a handgun on for size in most shops though. Mind you, most shops don't have a range either.
In any case, for restricted, you have to join a club anyway. By far most shooters tend to go out of their way to help a new shooter. That includes letting you try their firearms.
A Sig 226 isn't a target gun but if a member has one, it's not impolite to ask if you can look at it and that usually leads to an invitation to try it. That pistol has a few advantages though. Al Flaherty's(2066 Dufferin Street) will sell you a .22 conversion kit for $489. Only downside is the mags are friggin' expensive.
As daft as it sounds, in TO, it's easier to shoot a handgun regularly than it is a rifle. For rifles it's Guelph, Cambridge or Oshawa. Which one depends on where you are in TO.
"...maximum budget of about $1000 each..." That's entirely reasonable. You don't have to spend it all at once either.

LeMat
04-17-2017, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Very useful to know I'm not necessarily making a mistake in purchasing a firearm without shooting it first.

Where do you stand on the .22 issue? A natural place to start, or should I just go find the pistol I like the best?

DasMauser
04-17-2017, 07:51 PM
The .22 definitley is the practical first-choice, easy to learn on, and ammo is dirt cheap, just picked one up myself not too long ago.

That being said, my first handgun was a Beretta 92. Always wanted one and was in all the good action movies growing up. I would be tempted to say buy what you want first, and the .22 handgun will come in time, they're cheap enough to just buy whenever

shootemup604
04-17-2017, 07:55 PM
There is an endless array of .22 pistols - My first was the Ruger MkII - it is a classic, and very nice. Visit your gun owner friends, fondle their .22 pistols, go to the shops and fondle their pistols, and when you find one you like - buy it.

MissMeggie
04-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Ditto to pretty much all of the above. I've found that if you go into a store and just tell them you're new and ask some intelligent questions, they're extremely helpful. I'm in Durham Region, so I've been to Firearms Outlet Canada in Ajax, Williams Arms in Port Perry, Gagnon Sports in Oshawa, and Target Sports in Gormley. Everyone I've encountered was friendly and had some comments or tips about things I didn't think of. Stopped by BassPro in Vaughan, but they don't have any restricted firearms.

As for trying guns, I'm lucky: a friend has been shooting for years and has a pretty decent collection. Once I got my RPAL, we went to the range and tried out a few. The good news is that if you buy something you don't like, you can re-sell it and try something else so keep your eye on the websites for used.

Greglc
04-18-2017, 08:10 AM
I can say one thing against 22, it's hard to see holes at 25 yards, if you can't see all your holes, it's hard to learn to shoot well, just one thing to think about. My first was a 9mm, second was a 22, it rarely comes out of safe.

Mark-II
04-18-2017, 08:26 AM
If you're not the sort that needs a rush when you pull the trigger, .22 is perfect to begin with. Those of us who started young started with a .22

The complaints you hear the most are about how "boring" it is. The cure for that is a 12 gauge (channeling my childhood there)

For a pistol, personal experience suggests to buy one that was designed as a .22. I've had issues with conversion kits for pistol and rifle that go beyond accuracy.

For a target rifle, look into bolt guns. Dollar for dollar you're more likely to get a more accurate gun than you will with a semi auto, if you're buying quality.

The best way to try guns is to be a people person at the range. I personally enjoy letting new shooters try what I have if they express a curiosity.

deerbeargrouse
04-19-2017, 12:56 PM
Can't argue with the above, the 22lr will make a fine first rifle.

However, if I had to do it again I would choose the shotgun. No other firearm puts a smile on my face like the shotgun.

andrew640651
04-24-2017, 11:37 PM
target sports has guns you can try and buy. it's 20 mins or so from 404 and 401.

first determine where you will be shooting.
consider trying skeet in barrie and Uxbridge...
as deerbeargrouse said, shotguns 100 percent over 22lr....if u have a place to shoot them.

no comment on pistols...still a noob.

graz
04-25-2017, 08:31 AM
I have to agree with the .22 for starting off, especially for the rifle.

Just a couple of points: If you buy quality, you will have it and enjoy it for the rest of your life. If you buy used, you will be able to sell or trade it for around the same as you paid for it, as long as you don't buy a lemon (they are out there also). Before you buy, sniff around some of your gunny friends and ask for the opportunity to put a couple of rounds downrange; offer to cover the ammo costs.

For a pistol, .22 is a good choice. A good alternative is a .38/357 revolver, especially if you will one day reload. Before you go that direction, look at the price of ammo for 100 rounds of .22 versus 100 rounds of .38.

Eel
04-25-2017, 09:35 AM
Myself I like the marlin 22 over the Ruger 22. Rifle

Why do you prefer the Marlin over the Ruger? I'm thinking of getting a .22 and have shot Rugers many times, but never a Marlin.

wolver
04-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Everyone should own a .22LR pistol. If only for teaching newcomers to the sport how to shoot.

DasMauser
04-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Why do you prefer the Marlin over the Ruger? I'm thinking of getting a .22 and have shot Rugers many times, but never a Marlin.

I'm in the same boat as well, have a Marlin 795 and love it, for a couple reasons:
They're substantially cheaper than a ruger 10/22
You can get 25 round mags for them without having to worry about the rcmp's "prohibition limbo" that the ruger 25 round mags are currently in
Now these are rare, but I have seen them in canada, there are also 70 rd drum mags for the marlin, if you can find them

Marlin is just as accurate, if not more, than the Ruger. But the one flaw it has is the plastic trigger guard/mag mouth, eventually it will break. But, you can order a solid aluminum one out of the states for about $75 or so shipped to your door, and still be well under the cost of the Ruger, just did it myself a few months ago.

Eel
04-25-2017, 01:06 PM
I'm in the same boat as well, have a Marlin 795 and love it, for a couple reasons:
They're substantially cheaper than a ruger 10/22
You can get 25 round mags for them without having to worry about the rcmp's "prohibition limbo" that the ruger 25 round mags are currently in
Now these are rare, but I have seen them in canada, there are also 70 rd drum mags for the marlin, if you can find them

Well this is very interesting indeed. I am going to have to look into a Marlin I think. Besides, everyone and their dog has a 10/22, and I like different, that's part of the reason I got my T/C. Thanks for the tips!

goosesniper
04-25-2017, 01:09 PM

I have shot both as well. I like the barrel on the marlin. More like a bull barrel. Microgrove riffling. Better accuracy. I bought the birch stock with stainless finish. Shoots awesome and I wasn't interested in spending loads of doe on mods. So I went with the marlin sd60

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SIR VEYOR
04-25-2017, 04:05 PM
There are lots of good prices on 22s. And I recently saw some very good prices on 22 revolvers from a vendor here. So a revolver and a pistol might be an idea as well.

Revolver would let you try a few different methods of target shooting as well. Indulge your inner Lone Ranger.

Of course, being GTA, getting the range membership taken care of might be the bigger purchase to deal with first (time & $$). And depending on your mobility, a rifle might be best to wait on. Go with what will be most convenient to shoot. Treat it like a gym membership. Best one is the one that's easiest to get to/use. Let's you meet the most peopl and learn the most, fastest.

linung
05-15-2017, 04:38 PM
I'm thinking about getting one of these when my license gets here.
https://www.gotenda.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/H001-Large.jpg
https://www.gotenda.com/shop/firearms/rifles/henry-h001-lever-action-22-classic-rifle/

https://www.gotenda.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/pps-synthetic-stick-magazine-30cc-camo-wildcat-stock.jpg
https://www.gotenda.com/shop/firearms/rifles/pietta-pps50-carbine-wildcat-22lr/

mostly cause they're in stock... and not too expensive.

KB_TheDireWolf
05-15-2017, 05:06 PM
Lee Enfield is all I can say...

Sorry very bias towards them...

For a frist gun, buying used is a good idea. Cheaper pricing and the ability to wheel and deal.

However, I would say a SKS in a Tapco stock from the Firearms Outlet is a good buy.

labradort
05-15-2017, 06:08 PM
I think you can take all suggestions, but in the end, the choice will be about what you like, what drives you to take up shooting, what means something to you. For some people it is finding a firearm that is similar to the first one they used with their Dad. For some, it is about the blast of shooting. For others, it is about the technical discipline of competitive shooting. For others again, it is about collecting and enjoying the experience and intricacies of each firearm they own.

In my experience, if there is a toss up between two firearms, it isn't really a choice about which one you will buy, but which one you will buy first. Curiosity will pull you in, eventually.

Doug
09-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Hey guys. Man I missed this site. I finally got my PAL/RPAL and I think I have settled on a gun. I'm really looking at a Savage Mk 2 FV Heavy barrel. I've heard synthetic stocks have some issues and factory iron sights are of poorer quality. Could you guys let me know what to expect of this gun or if there is a more affordable and higher quality option? I'm only particular on .22LR, bolt action, and preferably Canadian made. Thanks guys.

CLW .45
09-07-2017, 12:57 PM
Start by determining what other competitors are using in the type of target shooting that interests you.

Turtlehead
09-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Mosin Nagant. If you don't already own one, you need to go out and buy one so that you can say you do. Now. Go. Get off the internet. Mosin. N-A-G-A-N-T.

cjmiller51
09-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Hi I started with a semi auto .22 used, bought from Epps in north Orillia and am buying a Browning 1911 .22 pistol, I have small hands, have no complaints from me by starting small.

Hi everyone,

I'm just getting started with shooting, having just passed my PAL and RPAL exams and currently in the waiting period. I'm mostly interested in target shooting --- I had a great time doing it in the army reserves ages ago and am excited to try my hand at pistols in addition to rifles.

The advice I've received so far is that even if I'm ultimately interested in a larger caliber, I should start off with a .22LR pistol and a .22 LR rifle. Cheap and interchangeable ammo, light frames, low recoil... learn the basics and develop good habits before blowing a hole in something. That seems to make sense, and since I'm interested in target shooting I'm in no rush to move up to bigger bores beyond the fact that it's fun to make loud noises. (And it is.)

I'm currently in Toronto, which means I'm going to have a really hard time finding a place that will both let me try out a firearm and sell it to me. I've probably got a maximum budget of about $1000 each, but I'd obviously prefer to keep costs down for something possibly more exciting later.

So just a few questions:

1) Do you agree with the advice about starting with the rimfire guns, or should I start with the calibers I'm interested in sticking with?

2) Do you know of anyplace in or around Toronto where someone can try out a range of firearms before buying them? Ideally someplace with a large selection?

3) Would you recommend choosing from the range of firearms available at whatever range is also a retailer, so that I can be sure it's something comfortable even if I don't find a "perfect fit"; or should I buy something I really like and is well-regarded and then get used to it?

4) If you agree that .22LR is a good starting point and that it might be a good idea to buy before trying, I was thinking about the Sig P226R and the Ruger 10/22. Thoughts? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Joshua13
09-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Buy one of the ones for sale on here and support these guys, they will be your biggest help whenever you need some.

A gun from on here will be in good condition and at a fair price.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

Doug
09-08-2017, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the opinion. I'm only looking at .22's right now and actually settled on a Savage Mk 2 G as the wood stock felt much more natural then the synthetic. The price was also better. In the future I'll look into the Mosin. A 7.62 is a few pennies more to shoot but it looks like a beautiful rifle.

Lanvok
09-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Purchased a GSG 1911 .22 in snow cammo from Canada Ammo for my wife and I have to tell you, lots of fun to shoot. Wife wanted it because it looks pretty. She now wants a 9mm because the .22 is fun to shoot but not much punch to it. If you are going to buy a pistol, you might want to go that route.

linung
09-09-2017, 04:43 PM
Purchased a GSG 1911 .22 in snow cammo from Canada Ammo for my wife and I have to tell you, lots of fun to shoot. Wife wanted it because it looks pretty. She now wants a 9mm because the .22 is fun to shoot but not much punch to it. If you are going to buy a pistol, you might want to go that route.

go for a 45ACP.... 9mm is more of a target practice round.

GTW
09-09-2017, 05:06 PM
go for a 45ACP.... 9mm is more of a target practice round.
Really? Wonder why it was the sidearm calibre chosen by the US Army recently? Guess they only do target practice.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2017/01/20/11-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-army-s-new-handgun/

What caliber handguns do you own and shoot?

linung
09-09-2017, 05:51 PM
What caliber handguns do you own and shoot?

Glock 17 9mm and Glock 21 45ACP!

:eek1:

17 for everyday target practice. 21 for fun!!

:canada:

GTW
09-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Glock 17 9mm and Glock 21 45ACP!

:eek1:

17 for everyday target practice. 21 for fun!!

:canada:

Nice irons. Or is it polymers? Either way still nice pieces.

Help me out here - your statement that 9mm is a practice round is based on your experience as a PAL RPAL owner/shooter for how long? May 2017?

linung
09-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Help me out here - your statement that 9mm is a practice round is based on your experience as a PAL RPAL owner/shooter for how long? May 2017?

Go shoot a few clips. If you feel differently, be free to leave your two cents for the new guy.

:shoot:

GTW
09-09-2017, 07:15 PM
I have. I own and shoot a few handguns in real life - not first person shooter games -
9 mm Luger, 40 S&W. 22lr, 380 ACP, and 45 ACP. I may have a tad more hands on experience than May 2017 (June 1978), and would not be so eager to make a nonsense blanket statement about a specific calibre being suited only for target practice, especially when the Beretta M9 in 9 mm Parabellum was the designated sidearm of the US Military for over 30 years, and was recently replaced by a modular sidearm in 3 caliber, non of which was 45 ACP.

So for my 2 cents, for the OP, 22 lr is a good starting point, see if you can handle some different guns that feel right for you, take everything here with a grain of salt, sift through some of the good advice others have posted above, and buy the one that fits and feels right. Start smaller, avoid developing a flinch by choosing too large a calibre at first and above all have fun experiences. Proper technique and regular practice outweighs caliber.

Going out to shoot a few magazines now. Don't own any "clips".

Turtlehead
09-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the opinion. I'm only looking at .22's right now and actually settled on a Savage Mk 2 G as the wood stock felt much more natural then the synthetic. The price was also better. In the future I'll look into the Mosin. A 7.62 is a few pennies more to shoot but it looks like a beautiful rifle.

the money you save on the rifle goes to surplus ammo! :D

Doug
09-10-2017, 12:19 AM
1911 .22, eh? I don't know much about rechambering but could you change that out to the original .45? A .22 1911 would be nice to start out with if I do buy a pistol.

4CE44
11-04-2017, 12:53 PM
There is "The Range" in Cambridge, ON..you can rent their guns and try various makes and models

Lanvok
11-18-2017, 06:12 AM
go for a 45ACP.... 9mm is more of a target practice round.Mine is a 1911 in .45. Love it

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

KB_TheDireWolf
12-19-2017, 10:20 PM
T/C Compass, 1moa firearm for $500: https://www.nasgunsandammo.com/product/thompson-center-compass-rifle/