PDA

View Full Version : how did you learn to shoot a compound bow?

andrew640651
04-18-2017, 09:43 PM
so basically, along with my 5000 other hobbies, I picked up a compound bow from canadian tire (made by diamond). apparently it's an OK beginner bow, but what now? so far I managed to install a peep myself and hit a 12x12 target at 20 yards consistently, but I have no idea if I'm doing the right motions, stance, etc.

...and youtube is full of conflicting information.

how did everyone else figure it out?

Deuce-deuce
04-18-2017, 10:29 PM
My father put me in archery lessons when I was a child. As an adult I picked up a compound bow... I just do what I did with the recurve. I have no idea if it's correct but it kills things just fine. No much help but it's all I got.

Rory McCanuck
04-18-2017, 11:49 PM
As a kid, I'd hop on the bus with my bow on Saturday mornings and go to Silver Heights Archery.
Take a lane, and practice, practice, practice. And watch the show-offs with their fancy bows.
Watch the guys stacking arrows in right on top of each other, and try to emulate what they were doing.
I never had a wrist strap to retain the bow, so I couldn't do the la-te-da let the bow fall out of my hand after the shot thing lke them, but I got better and better.

If you're hitting a 12x12 target regularily, make a smaller mark, and aim for that.
Smaller and smaller targets, until you start damaging your arrows from hitting each other.
If you're putting 5 arrows into a group the size of a shot glass, who cares what your for looks like, it's working for you.

BrotherRockeye
04-19-2017, 10:47 AM
I made my own bows and arrows as a kid. Baler twine and willow.

When I tried my first "real" bow shooting with a buddy and his parents, at a target, I was hitting bulls.

Had a recurve for years before buying a compound for hunting.

Do like RM said, but use a 5 bull target so you don't wreck arrows.

It's the first arrow that counts when hunting so practice for that arrow.

Ceska
04-20-2017, 10:25 AM
We made our first bows and arrows as kids, then I started with lessons as a lad on a recurve bow and graduated to a compound when I had enough muscles.
But as others have stated, work on the correct form and practise, practise, practise.

(https://imgur.com/jJ95L7F)https://imgur.com/jJ95L7F

Strewth
04-20-2017, 12:23 PM
We've got a fair-sized archery club at our range, they're happy to help people like me (the broad side of the barn is safe.)? Maybe there's a range near you?

tinbird
04-20-2017, 05:44 PM
I was fortunate enough to receive instruction on proper set-up and form from Chuck and Diane Land.

Deuce-deuce
04-20-2017, 09:57 PM
It's the first arrow that counts when hunting so practice for that arrow.

This is great advice...

Justice
04-22-2017, 11:23 AM
"...have no idea if..." Take some lessons. No idea where in your neighbourhood though. Most bow shops, that are not Crappy Tire or places that sell other stuff, will run courses. However, since you're able to "hit a 12x12 target at 20 yards consistently" you're doing fine.
Just remember that shooting a bow, of any type, uses muscles that are used for nothing else. You need to get some upper body toning exercise. Back and shoulders.
Start shooting by pushing the bow away from you and pulling the string back while raising the thing to eye level. Easier to do than describe, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. And no shooting a bow of a draw weight that's more than you're able to lift a box of the same weight.
You need matching arrows too. That'd be both length and draw weight.

BrotherRockeye
04-22-2017, 12:09 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

andrew640651
04-23-2017, 08:04 PM
just shot a bunch today...I realized that after so many arrows I start to go downhill....then I give up in frustration for the day.

thanks for the tips so far.

Forbes/Hutton
04-23-2017, 08:20 PM
You're not to far from these guys:

http://archersofcaledon.org/

kennymo
04-24-2017, 07:10 AM
just shot a bunch today...I realized that after so many arrows I start to go downhill....then I give up in frustration for the day.

thanks for the tips so far.

Happens. I start to slide hard somewhere between a half hour and hour of steady shooting, depending on how I'm feeling that day. Recognize that point, and either hang it up for the day or take a break. You won't do yourself any favours, muscles get tired, you'll just develop bad habits trying to compensate.
I never took lessons, just a few pointers from friends. A proper grip on the bow and a consistent anchor point (my thumb hits the corner of my mouth I think is mine?) will do wonders. Then just concentrate on your release, make up the rest.... I can put five arrows into a tea saucer at 60 yards most times now, good enough for me....