PDA

View Full Version : Get-togethers in MB gravel pits?

DasMauser
04-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Hey all, just wondering is there any shooting get togethers in the gravel pits or on crown land around Winnipeg? I would like to introduce a few newbies to the sport, but as I am a member at Selkirk G&F they only allow guests to visit, not shoot, and they don't do day passes. I know a couple general areas but don't know the exact roads to go down. And yes I have a truck big enough to get in there :P

Mark-II
04-20-2017, 07:47 AM
The last time that I was in such a place it was like a war zone. We couldn't leave until dusk, when *most* of the shooting all around us stopped.

Selkirk has some BS excuse to justify their guest policy, but I personally think they just prefer not to invest in growing the club.

Drop-ins are kosher for trap nights, though. I've seen more than a few first time shooters brought there.

Guest passes are $10 for Firing line, if you have a member to sponsor you (no full bore rifle or shotguns permitted).

gtr
04-20-2017, 07:56 AM
Sounds like your happy to live in eastern Manitoba.

DasMauser
04-20-2017, 08:25 AM
The last time that I was in such a place it was like a war zone. We couldn't leave until dusk, when *most* of the shooting all around us stopped.

Selkirk has some BS excuse to justify their guest policy, but I personally think they just prefer not to invest in growing the club.

Drop-ins are kosher for trap nights, though. I've seen more than a few first time shooters brought there.

Guest passes are $10 for Firing line, if you have a member to sponsor you (no full bore rifle or shotguns permitted).

Oh? I knew mars hill was like that, was hoping the pits were a better bet. Damn. I have a friend with property that we shoot at close to the pits but he doesnt have any end berms set up so i'd rather not take newbies there to shoot with a bunch old bikers their first time out. Lol

I hate to be negative about my club but i've notices that too, asked philip a couple times about day passes during the summer when the clubhouse is manned, not getting anywhere.

Took my firearms safety at firing line years ago, might have to look into it I know extreme shooting centre is an option too but i prefer to be outdoors anyhow, pricey there as well

Haywire1
04-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Sounds like your happy to live in eastern Manitoba.

Maybe he is, so what?

Mark-II
04-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Xtreme gets extra pricey if you dare to chip the paint on the armor plate that is there for the sole purpose of stopping stray bullets from going through the roof...

I'm happy to take folks to Firing Line and do my bit to supervise, BTW. Getting new people introduced to the sport is always fun.

It was the pits out near Richer where I was last. Mars Hills I wasn't comfortable with because of all of the random nature lovers in the area and the lack of good backstops

DasMauser
04-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Yep, that sounds like Xtreme, you speaking from personal experience? Lol

I will take you up on that Firing Line offer sometime in the coming months, are the backstops rated for 7.62x39 or are only rimfire rifles permitted?

I've heard all kinds of stories about Mars Hill, then there was an article in the paper a while back about all the trash and casings that get left behind by shooters, figured I wouldnt even bother going there.

I am going to take a drive out to Anola pits in a month or so and take a look, if its not too bad and people there arent being careless with shooting I may try and put something together for the summer. One of the electricians from work offered to show me which areas are not privately owned and safe to shoot in

Mark-II
04-20-2017, 06:58 PM
Personal, once removed. I was there with a friend who had a very short girl with him and unbeknownst to us the distance to the target and her high angle of fire (or her newbie flinch) had put something like 18 chips in the plating.

Pistol chamberings only at Firing Line, so pistol Calibre carbines only. They experimented with some rubber once but the ricochets were crazy, and without it the shots shred the swirl traps, apparently.

I used to love going to the anola pits. Not been there in a few years. I understand some local crank has been posting the land now and then, even though it's a hydro right of way going into it lol.

One thing I miss is busting clays on a berm. But difficult to do at Selkirk.

We can set something up for a quiet weeknight, or a weekend when there's no match on.

DasMauser
04-21-2017, 10:28 AM
Hmm, may have to invest in a kriss vector or something then. Lol. Have a couple pistols but rifles might be a better start for some. I love the reaction I get out of people when they find out I have handguns, "gasp, you can own those legally??"

Well hell, if you know the way would you mind leading the way in? Would save me from trying to line up with the electrician, hes busy this time of year so his schedule free time is few and far between should it rain or something. I also heard some cranky old man was posting signs and trying to kick people off the land on the other gun site, too funny

Anyone else interested in coming for a group shoot? I see lots of thread views but few replies. I'll bring a bbq? Lol

Mark-II
04-21-2017, 01:18 PM
I just have the google earth open. If I'm right it's at 49Deg 51' 48"N by 96Deg 28' 0"W

You get there off Dugald Rd, south on the 302 for about a KM then follow the hydro lines in, keeping to the left along the power lines - the driveway to the right going to the southern pits is posted and so far as I know genuinely private land.

After what a few hundred yards through what is probably by now a swampy trails, you bear right and you're in there.

I don't know if it's still open or not. Several years back someone moved enough earth to block off another pit in the area. Story I heard is the same old one - people being dangerous and messy.

I've a CX-4 that's proving to be more fun since upgrading the trigger group. I find I just can't hit anything with a rifle from the standing position any more, and being riddled with arthritis means it's either standing or bench, which is yet another reason why I've forgone pits for ranges :(

DasMauser
04-23-2017, 01:38 PM
I think I found where you're talking about, the property we shoot at sometimes is right at the end of the 302, so I'll just watch for the hydro lines then. Gonna drive out next weekend and walk in from the highway, just to get an idea of the state of the "road". Thanks for the directions Mark!

I've heard good things about the CX-4, used to have the CO2 powered pellet gun version in my teenage years. Lol.
I'm a ways off from arthritis (I hope) but I prefer bench rest shooting as well, wouldn't mind getting into long range shooting eventually.

That reminds me, Seven Sisters G&F is having their annual shoot May 13th, open to the public. Rifle, shotgun, blackpowder, and archery. $55 bucks for the day, using their guns and ammo only. Going to try and make it this year, girlfriend wants to try skeet shooting. And they have a 500m range, too bad its an hour from Winnipeg or I'd happily get a membership there instead of Selkirk.

craigdwh
04-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Hey guys, gonna jump in here. I'm new to the hobby and would love to join if you decide on something.

Craig

R&R Rancher
04-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Just remember anytime anyone wants to try clay birds, I'm willing to take newcomers to the Winnipeg Trap and Skeet club.

Mark-II
04-23-2017, 07:13 PM
What are you interested in, Craig?

Winnipeg Trap and Skeet has guest passes, rental guns, and some excellent coaches.

They're entirely to blame for me going from 0 shotguns a bit over a year ago to.... Well, probably too many.

They have Trap, Skeet, 5-stand, a wobble trap, and this bunker trap discipline that I am in no way ready to try.

Edit: lol - R&R is the one who got me hooked ;)
He's one of those excellent coaches I mentioned

craigdwh
04-26-2017, 06:17 AM
Hey I'm interested in anything, I'm new so I'll follow the lead. I'm going to orientation tomorrow evening at the Firing Line, I'm hoping they accept me as a member.

Mark-II
04-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Maybe I'll manage to drag my butt out there tomorrow. Going to depend on whether I end up putting in involuntary overtime or not

I'll be the big guy with the big grey SONY case of boom if so - stop by after and put a few rounds down.

Orientation pretty much is a tour of the building and Steve gassing on for an hour or so going over each item on the list of rules.

Get plenty of caffeine beforehand.

If you're licensed and your cheque doesn't bounce, you're in - we're not exclusive beyond that ;)

craigdwh
04-26-2017, 04:09 PM
Maybe I'll manage to drag my butt out there tomorrow. Going to depend on whether I end up putting in involuntary overtime or not

I'll be the big guy with the big grey SONY case of boom if so - stop by after and put a few rounds down.

Orientation pretty much is a tour of the building and Steve gassing on for an hour or so going over each item on the list of rules.

Get plenty of caffeine beforehand.

If you're licensed and your cheque doesn't bounce, you're in - we're not exclusive beyond that ;)

Is Steve the "Hills have eyes" guy? (sorry Steve I couldn't resist!)

Ok hopefully see you there tomorrow. I will be there.

Mark-II
04-26-2017, 05:42 PM
More of a crotchety old bugger, but he's all right ;)

Well, I need to test my trigger work on a .22, otherwise the case is full of possibilities.

Anything in particular you fancy? I've got something from most categories save for plastic fantastic.

Pistol, single and double action revolver, .22 to .45...

craigdwh
04-26-2017, 07:41 PM
More of a crotchety old bugger, but he's all right ;)

Well, I need to test my trigger work on a .22, otherwise the case is full of possibilities.

Anything in particular you fancy? I've got something from most categories save for plastic fantastic.

Pistol, single and double action revolver, .22 to .45...

OH wow, I'm open to anything but would love to try the double action revolver!

Mark-II
04-26-2017, 08:29 PM
I think I've got just the one... It's hard to go wrong with a 686

craigdwh
04-28-2017, 04:43 AM
Mark good meeting you last night and thank you!

Mark-II
04-28-2017, 12:21 PM
A pleasure! You've got some talent - most first timers are doing well to keep it on the paper, nevermind keeping the holes that close.

DasMauser
06-20-2017, 08:38 AM
Just an update, looking towards mid-end of August for those who want to join the gravel pit gathering. Hopefully it will be less sloppy by then and there won't be any ticks either, more details on this in July when I have some time to start planning.

Also to those on here that are members at SG&F, today is range clean-up day, providing it doesn't rain. Come out and help out, and bring some guns, can have a friendly "match afterwards! Range is closed for cleaning 5:00-7:30 pm

jarfries26
08-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Hey, I've been following this thread for a bit here and I live in Anola so I'm pretty interested in this if it happens.

I'm guessing the pits you're talking about are the Ostenfeld pits? I get mixed messages about if it is private land or not and unfortunately there isn't much information on the land ownership maps. I have them and it states that they are private but it may be Hydro entitled land and from what I recall, we can shoot there. I have also heard a story of people meeting some RCMP at these pits practicing... If that is true I would think it would be ok.

I have run into the guy claiming the land is "a friend's" land and he doesn't want people on it but I don't think he has any sort of affiliation with anyone and is just hoping to keep the space for himself for hunting.

Also, never actually hunt around that area. I went last year on the 2nd rifle weekend. I could see an orange vest about every 300m down any clearing for probably the whole square mile.

Mark-II
08-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Something coming up this Saturday. Copied from phizbook

Come joins Wolverine Supplies August 12th for the first annual Browning Demo Days at St Hubert's gun range just minutes north of Winnipeg, Manitoba!

You will be able to shoot the new Browning and Winchester lines of firearms from 10am till 4pm

You will also be able to try out the new line of ZEISS Hunting optics.
$5 gets you either 15 rounds of shot shells to shoot skeet or 5 standard rifle shots (.223 up to 30-06) or 3 magnum shots.
$2 per magazine full of .22 rounds

(ALL PROCEEDS COLLECTED FROM THE .22 SHOOTING WILL BE DONATED TO THE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL OF MANITOBA)

( you can shoot as many times as you like if you keep paying the $5) or $2 for the .22

BROWNING / WINCHESTER staff will be on hand to answer any questions as well as BROWNING / WINCHESTER authorized dealers.

St Hubert's range is located 3.5 miles east off Hwy 59 on road 85 N at the corner of road 85 N and road 35 E

This will be a fun event and All ages can participate !

kennymo
08-08-2017, 04:49 PM
I just might make it there....see how the wife is feeling.

Mark-II
08-08-2017, 08:13 PM
I've wanted to check that range out for awhile. Seems a good opportunity

GTW
08-09-2017, 09:10 AM
I've wanted to check that range out for awhile. Seems a good opportunity
Yup. Piqued my interest for sure.
I'll bring my better half and see if I can get her hooked on shooting again (she liked the Sault Ste. Marie Club a lot), and maybe, just maybe circumvent her ban on any more new guns in the house - as in "here honey, I bought this for you" :evil1:

Mark-II
08-12-2017, 02:28 PM
It was a good day, but a pretty quiet event.

I quite liked the SX4, so had to shoot the A5 just to remind myself that I already have guns that can crush clay :D

The 20 gauge SX3 and 725 Citori were fun, and Dan of Rat River Outdoors brought a 28 gauge BPS that was very sweet

Didn't shoot any rifles, since hunting rifles don't really thrill me, but what stood out was the straight pull / toggle lock Tbolt .22. I know there are such guns out there, just didn't know Browning made one.

Stopped off at Selkirk and the pistol pits are packed (ipsc match) Just went to get some cam pros from our local supplier (FTP).

GTW
08-12-2017, 03:02 PM
I was impressed by the people there as well as the club itself in terms of layout, organization and cleanliness. Am joining next week. There is a sporting clays fund raising event raising money for the Manitoba Wildlife Federation. 100 targets 16 stations, $75.00. Think I'll go and learn by participating if I'm in town.

Did you check out Dan Malo's (Rat River) shooting tables? Neat design, quick takedown/setup, very sturdy. Just the right height for me.

Mark-II
08-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Must admit I didn't look at the tables - I don't shoot anywhere I'd need one.

Looked like a nice club, though, and the equipment looked in good repair and modern.

R&R Rancher
08-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Wish I could have gone, had to go to the farm and check into things. When is the 100 bird Shoot?

kennymo
08-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Got tied up with life here too.... Went for a long overdue tour at Heights Archery and walked out with a new scope to ease my pain.....

R&R Rancher
08-12-2017, 08:39 PM
I made my trip worthwhile too. Brought back some reloading supplies from the farm and a big rock that SWMBO wants to put in the flower garden. Pics of the rock tomorrow

kennymo
08-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Ugh....I had to bring home a half ton full of hand selected rocks one day.....Dad was ecstatic that one of the rock piles was shrinking for a change.... A single, even layer of large rocks is about all a Chevy with an 8 foot bed can handle at highway speeds. Made railway crossings...interesting...too.

GTW
08-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Wish I could have gone, had to go to the farm and check into things. When is the 100 bird Shoot?
Sunday Aug 20 is the 100 bird fundraiser MWF fundraiser.

DasMauser
09-17-2017, 07:29 AM
Gun show at West St. Paul Sunova centre guys, 10am - 3pm today if anyone is interested, just leave me a couple Enfield barrel bands!

Mark-II
09-17-2017, 07:40 AM
Just getting ready to leave for it. Haven't got much of a war chest however, so it's going to be look, but don't touch for the most part