PDA

View Full Version : Rem 783 first impressions

road kill
04-22-2017, 03:29 PM
I picked up a Rem 783 in 22-250 and finally got it unboxed today. First impressions are that the stock has lots of sharp edges and ridges on the mold seams, a couple of spots around the front of the mag opening are very sharp and will likely get filed off. Lots of dried gunk on the bolt that I assume is some kind of lube but overall clean up was easy. The scope got pulled off and donated to #2 son for his Salvage that had it's scope crap out. The Vortex I got from fearless leader of the forum is now on this rifle.:cool1: Trigger pull was tested about 20 times and was as light as 45 oz. and as high as 50oz. overall I would call it 47-48 oz. I will adjust it after my first range trial which will likely be tomorrow. I would prefer a 24-26 in barrel on a 22-250 but for a rifle costing just over 400 bucks you can't be real fussy. It's a fairly light rifle so it will likely jump when bench shooting. Now to dig out my old reloading dies and see if my powder magazine has some H380 in it, I wore out several 788 barrels back in the 70's and 80's with that powder and 50-55 gr bullets. Looking forward to shooting this rifle as I have heard good things of them.

Well I finally got out early this morning with the 783 and some loads I wanted to try. I'm impressed so far, once I got it sighted in. First group was 38 grs H380 52 gr match bullets 3/4 in. went up to 40 grs H380 and it opened up to 1.2 in. Also tried IMR 4166 at 34 and 35 grs with 52 gr bullets, groups were just over an inch. I will be pursuing the H380 loads some more as I picked up an 8 lb jug at WSS on sale. I do find the trigger needs some work as it has a rough spot half way to firing. I think i'm going to like this cheap Remington salvage knockoff. Next time i'm taking another rifle out as this one heats up quicker, need to trade off between strings. Also got some real cheap targets, got new blinds in the kitchen and the old ones are the heavy plastic pull down type that never stay put. I can cut up a nice size and make whatever dot I want with black markers.

hawk-i
04-22-2017, 06:23 PM
I picked up a 783 in 308win a few years ago....I think you will be happy with the way it shoots! :)

murph83
04-22-2017, 07:12 PM
my 783 in 308 is great. last falls 4 point buck didn't complain that he got shot with a Remington.

road kill
04-22-2017, 09:09 PM
I got some brass prepped and ready to load tomorrow if the wind isn't howling, even had a new can of H380 waiting. That was always my go to powder.

hawk-i
04-23-2017, 08:43 AM
Both of my 22-250's (Savage VLP & Rem 788) like H380 and 53/55 V-max's.....the Savage will often put 5 rounds into less than 1/2 inch at 100 yards. :)

Bizzle
04-24-2017, 11:16 PM
Friend has one in .243. Nice accurate rifle.

deerbeargrouse
04-26-2017, 06:17 AM
I like good value guns with reliable quality.

Congratulations on your purchase!

road kill
04-26-2017, 06:23 AM
It would be nice if global warming kicked in so I could get out and ty this puppy out. The weather since sat. has been cold and snow and wind. Even though my range is well protected I don't like cold weather shooting, tis hard on my fingers. I should also say the shape of the knob on the bolt handle isn't as nice as a ball type knob, these have a flattened round shape. I'll see once I start shooting.

linung
06-06-2017, 07:57 PM
I just got my remington 783.

seems kind of strange if I put 4 rounds in the magazine the first round will not feed if the bolt is locked down in the forward position. I have to pull the bolt back, put the magazine in than push the bolt forward to feed the first round.

Is this the same for everyone else?

kennymo
06-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Rounds seated all the way to the back of the mag? I've had a couple guns that were quite finicky about how and where the round was placed in the magazine...

I was getting set to buy one of these after Christmas for varmint shooting. Would've too if that damned Savage Trophy hunter in 22-250 hadn't gone on sale with the Weaver scope.... It's lucky it's accurate as all hell or it would've gone straight to the marketplace to fund a Remington...

linung
06-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Rounds seated all the way to the back of the mag? I've had a couple guns that were quite finicky about how and where the round was placed in the magazine...

I was getting set to buy one of these after Christmas for varmint shooting. Would've too if that damned Savage Trophy hunter in 22-250 hadn't gone on sale with the Weaver scope.... It's lucky it's accurate as all hell or it would've gone straight to the marketplace to fund a Remington...

Yep. Tried it like five times. All the same. Even tried with 3 rounds. No issue. Only happens when it is 4 rounds.

road kill
06-07-2017, 06:17 AM
I'm still waiting to try mine out. Between the wind and work and cows I haven popped a primer for some time, even found a few gophers that need killing while I was tending to fences. I have 5 days off coming up and told my daughter that I'm not fixing or building any more frikken fence, or herding cows. I have a loading tray full of loads to try out and nobody better get in the way.

linung
06-07-2017, 03:56 PM
I'm still waiting to try mine out. Between the wind and work and cows I haven popped a primer for some time, even found a few gophers that need killing while I was tending to fences. I have 5 days off coming up and told my daughter that I'm not fixing or building any more frikken fence, or herding cows. I have a loading tray full of loads to try out and nobody better get in the way.
too bad you are so far away.
My Henry would be perfect the gophers.

RobSmith
06-07-2017, 05:48 PM
I have one in 30-06, other than how she bit me a couple of times I like it. Put a glass on it, next will be a stock and she shoots will be a looker. Accuracy wise she shoots better than I ever will ...

road kill
06-10-2017, 09:57 AM
My plans to do a bunch of shooting this weekend on my days off got really screwed over. Frikken knee went out again on my last night of work, and workers comp won't cover it. Takes me 10 min to walk the length of the house and no doc appointment till mon morning, They did nothing the last time though, "stay off your feet" is all I hear. I think this damn Rem 783 is jinxed, I have never had a rifle this long and not shot it.

linung
06-17-2017, 03:58 PM
I went out to the range today.

Shot 19 round through my Remington. 1 miss fire.

Not very good but still better than the Vanguard.

TheHydrant
07-24-2017, 02:35 PM
I'm glad to read mostly positive things about the 783 on here.
I just ordered one in 308win yesterday.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Allen
07-25-2017, 06:57 PM
I bought one in .223 for yotes a while back. Can be a tack driver once you find the right ammo.

road kill
07-26-2017, 07:20 AM
I'm very happy with mine so far, spent yesterday prepping some cases that will get loaded today. Lots of different bullets sitting on the shelf to try.

linung
07-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Mine doesn't like Hirtenberger ammo.

I'm thinking about pulling the bullet and lighten the load to see if it makes any difference.