PDA

View Full Version : Un-Googling the Riflechair Channel

Riflechair
04-23-2017, 01:02 PM
This hasn't been easy to do but enough is enough.
The Youtube / Google Juggernaut is committing a form of corporate suicide in my opinion.
That is their decision and this is my response.

https://www.patreon.com/Riflechair

https://vimeo.com/214323325

Doug_M
04-23-2017, 01:31 PM
The Youtube / Google Juggernaut is committing a form of corporate suicide in my opinion.

It is indeed. It will hurt a lot of smaller channels in the short/medium run. But ultimately it will turn YouTube into the next MySpace, if you know what I mean.

joe6167
04-23-2017, 04:36 PM
It is indeed. It will hurt a lot of smaller channels in the short/medium run. But ultimately it will turn YouTube into the next MySpace, if you know what I mean.

MyWhat? Never heard of it ;)

labradort
04-23-2017, 05:03 PM
Well, Riflechair isn't the only guy with a youtube channel and gun chat. I don't see 22plinkster and hickok45 putting up a video saying "there goes the farm...". So what is the real problem? The restricted rating? Is it really important to get the under 18 subscriber? I don't get it at all.

Malus
04-23-2017, 05:21 PM
Well, Riflechair isn't the only guy with a youtube channel and gun chat. I don't see 22plinkster and hickok45 putting up a video saying "there goes the farm...". So what is the real problem? The restricted rating? Is it really important to get the under 18 subscriber? I don't get it at all.

Its the loss of revenue that posters received from advertisers. For a lot of people, Boobtube became their income. Then wham! No more revenue. To some it was like being fired....

labradort
04-23-2017, 05:32 PM
22plinkster quit his job to do this, and again, I don't see any remarks there. Where is this "news" about the loss of revenue? I still don't get it. Why does restricted lead to loss of revenue? Are there that many 12 year olds creating hits on the videos?

RimfireFans
04-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Restricted video's may not be monetized according to YouTube, so all these gun channels are about to stop producing unless they have support elsewhere such as sponsors or something like Patreon.

Matt from DemolitionRanch spoke about the restricted issue two weeks ago, although at that point he was assuming it was a glitch.

You may not upload, post, or transmit (collectively, "submit") any video, image, text, audio recording, or other work (collectively, "content") that:
Depicts unlawful acts or extreme violence;

Shooting guns could be against Vimeo's rules since they are somewhat vague and do not define "extreme violence". And even if you got it in writing that shooting is OK, they could change the rules tomorrow and close your channel.

firemachine69
04-23-2017, 07:52 PM
I'm just wondering... Would this mean these youtube channels are now ad-free? :)

labradort
04-23-2017, 07:59 PM
I think this guy does a better job of explaining what has happened and why and how it impacts him...

https://youtu.be/YXOQ9BvT7iA

The loss of advertisers didn't start with a firearms channel related issue, but Youtube is taking a broad sweep to protect their reputation against any "objectionable" content that might conflict with the interests or image of those buying the ads. So basically, Youtube advertisers get a say in the content they want their ad to appear next to, like in the world of TV or movies and advertising. I'd say the move is a spiraling loss for Youtube. If we wanted TV, we would watch TV. The Internet is different - it is where we can drive to the content we want, and where we can create the content. I hope the alternatives work, or there is a different way these guys can get sponsors.

DasMauser
04-23-2017, 09:36 PM
TFB TV also posted a video last week about this issue

Doug_M
04-24-2017, 05:45 AM
I'd say the move is a spiraling loss for Youtube.

Exactly. In their zeal to appease the advertisers they will be losing out on "eyeballs" as people who watch the "restricted" category will continue to do so but YouTube will not gain revenue from it either and only incur a cost.

With people cutting the cord more and more online advertising is becoming more important to advertisers. I don't know if online advertising has surpassed "traditional" advertising but it will at some point. At that point I would think YouTube would be able to dictate to the advertisers and not the other way around.

Steveo9mm
04-24-2017, 09:53 AM
google screwed youtube from the second they bought it. and yes there are gun videos on vimeo.

Malus
04-24-2017, 10:17 AM
And if you look at the bigger picture, gun channels aren't the only ones being demonetized. Right wing/conservative/alternative news are getting the same treatment. Its the start of mass censorship. It goes hand in hand with these new speech laws Canada is trying to implement. Control what you see, what you say, what you do. We live in exciting times.....

DanN
04-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Too bad firearms and equipment manufacturers don't advertise on youtube.. but that would probably give Larry and Sergey nightmares. Imagine the difference if Google had been founded in Texas by Texans..

Strewth
04-24-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm just wondering... Would this mean these youtube channels are now ad-free? :)

Yes, but also content free:(.

http://greatgreatjoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/tv-snow.jpg

mtlgun
04-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Can't see it being that long till one of the big's like Brownells, Midway, GunBroker, drop dime and buy some server space. That or some smart person with a bit of cash who wants a juicy return.

Swampdonkey
04-24-2017, 08:00 PM
China Uncensored got hit.

LB303
04-24-2017, 11:50 PM
what are these ads you speak of? been using AdBlocker for years now, never see ads on utoob

awndray
04-25-2017, 05:45 AM
AdBlocker doesn't block everything.

RimfireFans
04-25-2017, 07:53 PM
AdBlocker Plus blocks every ad on YouTube, I haven't seen an ad in years.

Full30.com is an awesome source for most of the well known gun channels, and is a safe space for gun channels. It's not so well known as YouTube of course, but it's awesome.

Riflechair
04-26-2017, 12:46 AM
Well......
As you guys say, these are exciting times.
It's a test, a probing attack, an attempt to out flank
With patience and enough generations
they might win

labradort
05-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Earlier I had some confusion about what was coming down and I mentioned I didn't see a reaction from 22plinkster.

He has been busy, has some other channels, but now he has a video discussing this.

https://youtu.be/ZlFz9tpNU1g

In his case, he has some corporate sponsors, so the Youtube change isn't as bad for him. But he does say there won't be as many tests done (e.g. how many cans of silly string will a 22 go through).

LeeEnfield
08-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Restricted video's may not be monetized according to YouTube, so all these gun channels are about to stop producing unless they have support elsewhere such as sponsors or something like Patreon.

Matt from DemolitionRanch spoke about the restricted issue two weeks ago, although at that point he was assuming it was a glitch.

Shooting guns could be against Vimeo's rules since they are somewhat vague and do not define "extreme violence". And even if you got it in writing that shooting is OK, they could change the rules tomorrow and close your channel.

Look up "china uncensored" on "yootoobe"

"yootoobe" is actively censoring "undesirable" political critics and independent reporters.

Swampdonkey
08-11-2017, 09:49 AM
We need to break up Google and Youtube under US Antitrust regulations.

Weekend Gunslingers
08-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Our channel is still small in comparison, but where we used to get the odd $100 for ads every few months, we get zero. Everything from equipment, firearms and ammo comes out of our pocket to produce these videos. We only got our first T&E gun promised to us to test and review recently. Its an uphill battle for content creators with a normal persons budget.

Wishing Rifle Chair well in his ventures

Full30 is there for firearms channels but they are a bit elitist at the moment and only take the highest subscriber channels. So no chance for the little guy to grow there.

Weekend Gunslingers
08-11-2017, 10:07 AM
This is Google's latest move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6MZ5-KCT3g

Swingerguy
08-11-2017, 10:08 PM
This is Google's latest move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6MZ5-KCT3g

Wow! Censorship is alive and well.

Battle Beaver
08-12-2017, 12:46 AM
Wow! Censorship is alive and well.

Google is not a public agency, they are private sector. They can censor what they want on their platform. "Free speech" (at least in the USA) means that the gov't can't put any restrictions on speech on public property. Private companies can do what they want.

No, I don't agree with it, but what are the options? Get the gov't for FORCE them to allow content they are disallowing? I don't think we want that. We want gov't OUT of our lives, not intruding even more.

Swampdonkey
08-12-2017, 12:51 AM
Google is not a public agency, they are private sector. They can censor what they want on their platform.

No, I don't agree with it, but what are the options? Get the gov't for FORCE them to allow content they are disallowing? I don't think we want that. We want gov't OUT of our lives, not intruding even more.

Governments force corporations to serve people all the time. Try saying you don't allow women or indians in your establishment. Try refusing to bake a cake for a controversial wedding.

Quid pro quo.

Battle Beaver
08-12-2017, 12:57 AM
Governments force corporations to serve people all the time. Try saying you don't allow women or indians in your establishment. Try refusing to bake a cake for a controversial wedding.

Quid pro quo.

Not the same thing at all. We're talking about speech.

Doug_M
08-12-2017, 06:41 AM
Watched this last night. It discusses the issues of censorship as practised by the likes of YouTube and whether gov should step in. Personally I agree with Bill's position.

https://youtu.be/OvDBgR0NHkE