PDA

View Full Version : soft scope Rifle cases

speedloader
04-30-2017, 10:06 AM
anybody have experience with a soft shell case for your scope rifle?
does it stay zero'd?
want something easy to carry to the range that you can sling on your back
currently have a plastic hard shell plano cheapo that's too long
and is really annoying to carry anywhere I find but protects the rifle very well with double foam

Dewey Cox
04-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Just treat it as you would an uncased gun, and you won't lose zero.
Never been a problem for me.

JustBen
04-30-2017, 10:42 AM
I use gun socks quite a bit. No issues.

speedloader
04-30-2017, 11:20 AM
yes have used those to Ben , with no issues out in the bush
need something that can lock,I know the crappy zipper pad lock does nothing either on the soft case
but look pretty ,have to leave it in the truck alot & can't carry in the range with out a case due to policy
otherwise Id just sling it and go in but might scare all the lefties going to the market next door I think not
sure why that policy ,place is packed full of open displayed guns or could be a cfo thing maybe they have to follow

Justice
05-02-2017, 12:40 PM
They work just fine at protecting your rifle, but not as well as a hard case. Like your plastic, hard shell, Plano, cheapo. Mind you, if your scope is failing to stay sighted in, that's usually more about the scope than it'll ever be the case.

Juno
05-03-2017, 10:11 AM
I've got soft cases for my rifles...Works perfect. When I put them in the truck for hunting i just place them in last on top of everything. That way the heavy shit doesn't crush the cases/rifles

glockfan
05-03-2017, 10:41 AM
anybody have experience with a soft shell case for your scope rifle?
does it stay zero'd?
want something easy to carry to the range that you can sling on your back
currently have a plastic hard shell plano cheapo that's too long
and is really annoying to carry anywhere I find but protects the rifle very well with double foam

you might be ok with a soft case IF you take care of not putting it close to hard parts in the trunk or on the quad where it can bounce . but it not the best carry option especially if you have a cheap scope on your rifle. cheap optics are shock sensitive, much more than quality scopes. cheap rings or mount system are also guilty of being intolerant to minimal shocks. i prefer to carry my rifles in a hard case, i use the ones that you tie the rifle with velcro straps in a V shaped foam the scope up touching nothing. a little more expensive,but no re-zeroing because the optic bounced on something .

Wendell
05-04-2017, 08:59 AM
anybody have experience with a soft shell case for your scope rifle? does it stay zero'd? want something easy to carry to the range that you can sling on your back currently have a plastic hard shell plano cheapo that's too long and is really annoying to carry anywhere I find but protects the rifle very well with double foam

You want a 'drag bag'. Brownells has the Blackhawk drag bag in stock (http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/gun-storage/gun-cases/long-gun-drag-bag-prod32383.aspx).

If you aren't completely, 100% satisfied with any purchase you receive from Brownells, for any reason, at any time, return it for a full refund or exchange. No hassle, no problem.

<http://www.brownells.com/aspx/general/Forever_Guarantee.aspx>

speedloader
05-06-2017, 04:10 PM
got this one at Cabelas today its well made and does what I need
comes in 43, 48 and other colours as well if anybody wants one
also has a shoulder strap 36 in change...

Gunexpert007
05-06-2017, 07:21 PM
I use soft cases for all my long guns ; I tried the hard cases , but they were just to bulky , and the shotgun hard cases would not even fit in the trunk of the car . I continue to use hard cases for the restricted guns for security and regulation reasons .

linung
06-13-2017, 04:56 PM
This is mine
http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=2789&d=1496439403
Lots of nice side pockets for stuff.
Shoulder straps on one side.
Carry strap + Handle on the side.

This Sunday I went to the range with my Henry w/ Scope and my Vanguard with the Scope from my Remington.

The Henry shoots fine. It was my first time with the Vanguard. It shot like crap but not sure if I need to adjust the rail or if it is just the Scope is crap.

magnumsmith
06-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Never had a problem with the soft cases. If I use the quad I sling the rifle on my back and it works fine for me.

kennymo
06-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Hard cases take up too much room and it's too damn hard to get the rifle out quickly when you're in a 12' aluminum boat in the middle of some godforsaken swamp. I've used the cheap Cabela's cases for years without issue. Think I have about a half dozen of them for range trips. I'm getting one of the water resistant floating neoprene ones for next year's moose hunt though. Too many close calls ;).

Dewey Cox
06-14-2017, 09:05 PM
I tipped the canoe this year, and was glad to have a floating gun case. (And good friends to chase the rest of my stuff down the river)

kennymo
06-14-2017, 09:07 PM
Well, the canoe wasn't so much tipping as steadily filling up with water from waves that were just a wee bit too big, but I'm sure it's a similar feeling :)

Dewey Cox
06-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Well, the canoe wasn't so much tipping as steadily filling up with water from waves that were just a wee bit too big, but I'm sure it's a similar feeling :)

That's how it started.
I made it through the section of rapids upright, but the canoe was full, and once that water started sloshing back and forth, that was it.