PDA

View Full Version : For all you SKS whiners about accuracy

Lee Enfield
05-01-2017, 11:00 PM
First thanks to Den who is going to attach the picture on here, very much appreciated.

Went out to the mountains today with my son, took our 1951 SKS forced match to see how well it would do at a couple hundred yards. So tired of some people refering to the gun as POS, it is not a one MOA gun and was never meant to be so here it goes.

Bought a AR 500 set up from Drummond at the Kamloops gun show a couple weeks ago, always wanted one and its only money! Decided after reading all the whining by some of the gun being a POS to attempt to prove it is anything but.

The target is 12 X 20 inches and was 198 yards from the muzzle. Weather was overcast and cool, no wind to speak of. The shots were from prone with a backpack as the rest and my son was the shooter. Cold bore, not that it matters with a SKS but might be a minute factor. The first shot missed then he hit it 9 times in a row. We thought he missed one other but if you look closely there is a kiss on the shoulder of the target and the other 8 are very visible.

Now we used the new plate with the sticker still on it to prove this was a one time attempt and not trying several times to accomplish decent accuracy. The are good for what they were meant to be, throwing lead down range with decent accuracy for a semi auto of its era.

So do we have the only accurate SKS in the world, after all to some it is only a POS and unworthy of ownership. To me too many people really aren't as good a shot as they think they are and when it comes to a gun that takes a little more dedication they stink.

This gun has at least 5,000++ rounds of corrosive down the pipe and today we were using Czech surplus which obviously is OK overall.

We have hit clays at 300 yards and of course not nearly every shot however even my old eyes can get that bullet close enough to where it would easily have printed on the steel we used today.

So today's test cost us $1.70 for ammo, you can't beat that and sometimes it is fun not to have to put every bullet in the same hole.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/blacksmithden/Dons%20sks_zpsdxehlmsl.jpg

Smc
05-02-2017, 12:00 AM
\_(ツ)_/ my sks is about a 2-3 moa gun. Good enough for me.

Waterloomike
05-02-2017, 01:41 AM
I paid $189 at crappy tire. You will be very hard pressed to get more gun for the money.

MarkR
05-02-2017, 03:58 AM
Great thread, and glad to see you are using the rifle the way it was intended to be used. I still have not fired mine (my club is rebuilding their rifle range). These are old-school with iron sights. Today, many people want instant gratification; I get a great kick out of guys with $1,000.00+ invested in a .22 and almost that much in the scope... to shoot targets at 20 yards; often to be out-shot by old guys with old rifles with old iron sights.

Part of the joy and satisfaction of shooting is learning a new gun, then honing your skills; and almost always, I find, almost any rifle can shoot better than I can. Mine is a 1953 referb, only the magazine is force-matched; The rest of the rifle, including the bore, bolt, gastube and piston appear to be brand-new and in such good shape that I was tempted not to shoot it. I got it at Cabelas Black Friday sale and it was $189.00 shipping included.

These are the best value in a rifle, regardless of what others say. I am going to take the time to sight it in, and learn it, and shoot a lot of cheap ammo!

P-B.
05-02-2017, 07:18 AM
Agree with the above.
Even a 3 MOA rifle should keep it's shots on a 12" wide plate to nearly 400 yards....so why folks whine is beyond me!
Most with a big scope fitted on a fancy rifle still can't hit anything at that range... :-)

Lazagna
05-02-2017, 07:32 AM
What does "force - matched" mean?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

goosesniper
05-02-2017, 07:38 AM
As I've said in other threads. I love my SKS. Got a few mods. Nothing too drastic. I love taking it apart and cleaning it as well. I sometimes do it with my eyes closed pretending to be in the dark and having to strip it down for cleaning like I was in the war on the front line. Foolish, but if you like things with machined parts and them operating together. This is a neat little puzzle to disassemble and reassemble. I've taken my bolt apart as well and diamond stoned my sear. It has a really smooth trigger now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SIR VEYOR
05-02-2017, 07:58 AM

How the front wood is attached I'm guessing based on how changing stocks seem to be a little tricky...

And how could you get that accuracy? Did you do the mandatory stock upgrade? Or the bayonet deployment maneuver for increased accuracy by changing centre of mass?

Doug_M
05-02-2017, 08:03 AM

It refers to the serial numbers that are on the stock, receiver, barrel, magazine and other parts. As is often the case, SKS's we get were at one time sent to an arsenal somewhere in the Soviet Union to be refurbished. Perhaps the original magazine is toast so they put a different one in. Then they "force matched" it by electric pencil, engraving the receiver serial number on it. The magazine is the most common part force matched, next would be the stock. Having an SKS that is all original, nothing force matched, makes it more valuable to collectors.

Likeaboss
05-02-2017, 08:45 AM
It refers to the serial numbers that are on the stock, receiver, barrel, magazine and other parts. As is often the case, SKS's we get were at one time sent to an arsenal somewhere in the Soviet Union to be refurbished. Perhaps the original magazine is toast so they put a different one in. Then they "force matched" it by electric pencil, engraving the receiver serial number on it. The magazine is the most common part force matched, next would be the stock. Having an SKS that is all original, nothing force matched, makes it more valuable to collectors.
My understanding is that some parts are electric pencil marked because they weren't suitably sized/shaped for machine marking.

How can we tell the difference unless an original number is actually xx'd out?

Or did I understand incorrectly? (always possible, eheh)

kennymo
05-02-2017, 10:00 AM
I think it's a ten inch gong I was ringing offhand at 200 with my most accurate one and some $7 a box Barnaul.... Generally hitting 4 out of 5, some of the misses being attributed to me. It's definitely a 'good enough' gun, match grade she ain't, but good enough....

Eddmac
05-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Nice work OP
I enjoy my SKS and its a fun gun :)

Lee Enfield
05-03-2017, 08:03 AM
I think it's a ten inch gong I was ringing offhand at 200 with my most accurate one and some $7 a box Barnaul.... Generally hitting 4 out of 5, some of the misses being attributed to me. It's definitely a 'good enough' gun, match grade she ain't, but good enough....

That is very good shooting.

kennymo
05-03-2017, 08:14 AM
That is very good shooting.

It was an 'on' day..... I'm not going to say I can do that every time I go to the range, but I left happy that day ;).

Lee Enfield
05-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Somewhat disappointed the " official spokesperson" for he naysayers is nowhere to be found.

Sad.

LB303
05-03-2017, 10:43 AM
jeez, you guys are making it hard to resist buying one. Another caliber, oh boy

Mark-II
05-03-2017, 12:29 PM
I sold all of mine save one that I bought 4 years ago or so and never fired. It's put away for a rainy day or something.

I just find an AR more worry-free to clean, so I'm shooting x39 in that.

Not much on an AR that a bit of salt will attack.

Point is that an SKS is cheap enough that it and a case of ammo is one thing that every enthusiast ought to have, if for no other reason than to have it.

There's worse things you can blow $200 on

speedloader
05-03-2017, 04:53 PM
I like my 52 and have alot of fun with it
a fiew mods like a bigger butt pad and williams sites because my eyes are older
that rifle will long out last me I have no doubt, everyone should have one
if you like shooting you are really missing out not owning an sks

SIR VEYOR
05-03-2017, 06:17 PM
Somewhat disappointed the " official spokesperson" for he naysayers is nowhere to be found.

Sad.

The 4X4 might be stuck,
Or he's looking to purchase another to put head to head with his improved one while pursuing load development using corrosive powder from pulling apart a spam cans worth of bullets for full authenticity will attempting to give a rigorous fair chance to the SKS.

I hope he get raised by the wolves rather than eaten...

Skel
05-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Good shooting. My son and I have russian SKS`s and have been impressed with the accuracy as well. We can consistently get hits at 350 yards using iron sights. I have video to prove it, but haven`t found time to edit and post.

Suputin
05-04-2017, 04:24 PM
I'm a bit confused. The OP triumphantly proclaims that a 6 MOA rifle puts to rest all the naysayers who bash the SKS for being inaccurate? I'd say the OP's results perfectly back up the notion the SKS is an inaccurate POS.

Look, if you want a cheapo rifle that can more or less do the business out to 200 yds and are happy w your SKS, then thats totally cool, but any attempt to make like the SKS has any relation to accuracy is a fools errand. This entire thread demonstrates exactly that.

Even a cheap M305 is capable of way better accuracy.

infidel29
05-04-2017, 04:25 PM
In mother Russia, sks shoot you!

Lee Enfield
05-04-2017, 05:24 PM
I'm a bit confused. The OP triumphantly proclaims that a 6 MOA rifle puts to rest all the naysayers who bash the SKS for being inaccurate? I'd say the OP's results perfectly back up the notion the SKS is an inaccurate POS.

Look, if you want a cheapo rifle that can more or less do the business out to 200 yds and are happy w your SKS, then thats totally cool, but any attempt to make like the SKS has any relation to accuracy is a fools errand. This entire thread demonstrates exactly that.

With all due respect are you "obtuse"?

You call a 305 a "cheapo" yet they cost $650.00 plus tax and shipping and I bought the SKS for $200.00 tax in AND in my hand.

The ammo shot in the SKS cost 17 cents tax in a round and mediocre .308 is around 80 cents again plus tax and in some case shipping.

What the entire thread actually shows is many people, possibly you included would have difficulty hitting the broad side of a barn door with a scoop shovel full of rice. There is nothing wrong with the SKS, it does what it was intended to do, kill the enemy.

When it comes to shooting center fire at a very low cost show me something better than a SKS.

MarkR
05-04-2017, 07:53 PM

There is a difference between the terms accuracy and precision. A tape measure designated in 1/16 ths is accurate to 1/16 th; but is less precise than a $150,000.00 CMM.

If you can count on a SKS to hit what you shoot at consistently at 200 yards, then it is accurate to 200 yards. My wife's bow is accurate at 25 yards; I can hit my mouth with a beer from table height; I'm accurate enough for that .

Accuracy is a relative term.

infidel29
05-05-2017, 01:59 PM
People often confuse Western accuracy standards with Russian accuracy standards. The Russian mindset for accuracy is to be able to hit a chest sized target at 200-300 yards. All Russian guns, sks, mosin, etc will do that easily. The Western mindset is MOA accuracy, which is not applicable to Russian battlefield mindset and tactics. These are battle rifles, not target rifles. They are designed to be rugged as f@ck. Plus the 7.62 round isn't inherently accurate anyway. You want precision, get a Western bolt gun or Ar 15 and stop posting in this thread until you figure out your priorities and the intent behind Soviet hardware.

M39
05-06-2017, 06:28 AM
The problem is most people don't measure out their target and most forget to adjust their sights. I knowi always forget to. That's why I have trouble shooting past 75 m.

speedloader
05-06-2017, 08:14 AM
These are battle rifles, not target rifles. They are designed to be rugged as f@ck. Plus the 7.62 round isn't inherently accurate anyway.

This ^^^^they are still fun to plink with and almost cheaper than a brand name 22LR rifle
and have the bayonet zombie killing option you won't get that
from another rifle no matter how expensive

Suputin
05-07-2017, 11:50 AM
People often confuse Western accuracy standards with Russian accuracy standards. The Russian mindset for accuracy is to be able to hit a chest sized target at 200-300 yards. All Russian guns, sks, mosin, etc will do that easily. The Western mindset is MOA accuracy, which is not applicable to Russian battlefield mindset and tactics. These are battle rifles, not target rifles. They are designed to be rugged as f@ck. Plus the 7.62 round isn't inherently accurate anyway. You want precision, get a Western bolt gun or Ar 15 and stop posting in this thread until you figure out your priorities and the intent behind Soviet hardware.

Are we educated westerners or are we uneducated peasants?

So you think the AR is not capable of being dropped and continuing to function? Cause I suspect all the US military and its allies would disagree.

I am well versed in military priorities, having actually served in the military. Doesn't change that soviet hardware pales in comparison to what we use.

M1917 Enfield
05-07-2017, 02:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr1tV2nsGoM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBxJOCc-M48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j_53DO8EOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHlFfhrDn2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_2150208279&feature=iv&src_vid=ZHlFfhrDn2c&v=bDqPTrko6Qg

LB303
05-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Suputin, first of all, Thank you for your service!

I'm just glad our masters have allowed us ignorant peasants access to these sturdily built legacy items.
Looked at a laminate stocked one yesterday, I can feel my resistance weakening

Lee Enfield
05-07-2017, 04:39 PM

So you think the AR is not capable of being dropped and continuing to function? Cause I suspect all the US military and its allies would disagree.

I am well versed in military priorities, having actually served in the military. Doesn't change that soviet hardware pales in comparison to what we use.

Possibly you aren't as well versed in military priorities as you think you are, the Russians built countless firearms so even a few minutes of basic training allowed anyone to use them.

The SKS, AK were designed to be abused, cleaned occasionally with a oily shoe lace and abused again. My son did a holiday in Vietnam last year, shot a AK, a original AK not a AKM, completely worn out, barrel looked like a sewer pipe (washed out) and it functioned perfectly. Figured it had a 2lb trigger just from use and had never had any part rebuilt. The SKS is in the same category as the AK, within reason almost indestructible unless you are a complete imbecile.

As mentioned originally, the SKS in question has 5,000++ rounds down the pipe, still functions perfectly and guarantee can hit a man sized target at 300 yards 9 times out of 10 and that is EXACTLY what is was built to do.

This was started about the SKS being a decently accurate gun for what it was purposed for. You now say and I quote "Doesn't change that soviet hardware pales in comparison to what we use". Show me a semi-auto firearms that "we" designed and produced 60 or 70 years ago that is still capable of what the SKS is? I await!!!

The first AR's were a nightmare and there are countless dead soldiers to prove that beyond any doubt. Remember they NEVER needed to be cleaned, and eventually a forward assist and cleaning on a regular basis helped with issues.

I did a couple years in the reserves, attended one parade a year as it was mandatory to keep my status for free flights/lodging etc. as a DCRA shooter... unlike you I don't consider I know SFA about military priorities.

infidel29
05-07-2017, 04:42 PM

1) Dunno about you, but I'm a somewhat educated Westerner.

2) Never said the AR isn't rugged. Its rugged enough, obviously otherwise it would have been dropped pretty quickly from military use. Its just not as rugged as the SKS/AK. The tolerances are also tighter than the SKS, which is what you want for accuracy, but decreases reliability in some environmental conditions as you may have experienced if you've done tours. I haven't served, in case you ask, but I do talk to those who have served and done tours and got their impressions of the guns used hard in different real world conditions.

3) Never said the soviet hardware is more modern. Its just different, made for a different philosophy of use. I thought I made that clear in my post, but apparently not all think so.

Suputin
05-07-2017, 11:35 PM
I get that some people like the SKS. Its cheap and it goes BANG. If minute of pie plate makes you happy then thats great.

HOWEVER, the thread is titled "For all you SKS whiners about accuracy" and then goes on to claim 6 MOA performance as if that is some kind of proof that the SKS is accurate and not deserving of the abuse it gets for being an inaccurate turd. Its like saying sh!t isn't smelly and then describing how stinky it is. Makes no sense.

The words "SKS" and "accuracy" should never appear together unless the phrase "has no" sits in between them. Arguing that the SKS is accurate is just silly. If it does the job you expect out of it, thats totally cool but that doesn't alter the fact that its an inaccurate lump and no amount of 'splainin is gonna change that.

M1917 Enfield
05-08-2017, 12:02 AM
While your average out of the crate SKS was never designed for benchrest target accuracy a SKS's can be very accurate if you spend the time and effort to make them so.

The main areas that need attention to get decent accuracy is a tight chamber (most issue SKS's have loose ones), decent metal to wood bedding and stopping all that rearward and loose tolerance metal clanging about after each shot.

Better barrels and wood to metal fitting is relatively easy to fix but the only way to deal with the purposely made (for reliability in adverse wartime conditions) loose tolerances in the receiver action besides custom machining new bolt and carrier metal parts and receiver is to convert to bolt action operation.

This is a $500 total cost (including scope and SKS rifle) custom build, single shot SKS with a shortened used M1919 machine gun barrel that gets 1 MOA accuracy at 100 yards, the guy who made it wanted to show a SKS can be as accurate as any other bolt action rifle -

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_20140920_182615_492.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_20140920_182323_210.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_20131227_160637_775_zps8220009c.jpg

This 6 shot 1 MOA group was shot using only surplus issue ammo!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_20140920_183005_314.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_20140920_183019_494.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_20140920_182814_470.jpg

Lee Enfield
05-08-2017, 08:57 AM
I get that some people like the SKS. Its cheap and it goes BANG. If minute of pie plate makes you happy then thats great.

HOWEVER, the thread is titled "For all you SKS whiners about accuracy" and then goes on to claim 6 MOA performance as if that is some kind of proof that the SKS is accurate and not deserving of the abuse it gets for being an inaccurate turd. Its like saying sh!t isn't smelly and then describing how stinky it is. Makes no sense.

The words "SKS" and "accuracy" should never appear together unless the phrase "has no" sits in between them. Arguing that the SKS is accurate is just silly. If it does the job you expect out of it, thats totally cool but that doesn't alter the fact that its an inaccurate lump and no amount of 'splainin is gonna change that.

It is beyond obvious you have no clue what the OP was all about. Again with your self proclaimed knowledge of "military priorities" you have no comprehension of what the SKS was designed to do. It was designed to be able to "hit a opponent" out to 300 yards on a regular basis and it does that. It is very simple in design so even someone like you should be capable of understanding its operation and maintenance.

It's a battle rifle, exactly what it was meant to be and reliable even when abused and neglected.

Guess it's difficult for us plebs to get someone with your military experience to understand how simplicity can actually be a good thing.

Suputin
05-08-2017, 12:30 PM
It is beyond obvious you have no clue what the OP was all about. Again with your self proclaimed knowledge of "military priorities" you have no comprehension of what the SKS was designed to do. It was designed to be able to "hit a opponent" out to 300 yards on a regular basis and it does that. It is very simple in design so even someone like you should be capable of understanding its operation and maintenance.

It's a battle rifle, exactly what it was meant to be and reliable even when abused and neglected.

Guess it's difficult for us plebs to get someone with your military experience to understand how simplicity can actually be a good thing.

Yea, no I get it, you just can't seem to handle someone saying a $200 rifle designed for uneducated serfs is crap.

The M16 in its modern variations is just as reliable when abused and neglected and yet can easily best an SKS by several times in the accuracy department. There is no need for inaccurate crap to gain reliability. Even the M14 in all its variants is a very reliable rifle and can produce excellent accuracy. I owned an original M14 back in the day and used to shoot it out to 800 yds regularily. The M14 is so reliable and tough it is still issued to this day.

Suputin
05-08-2017, 12:33 PM
While your average out of the crate SKS was never designed for benchrest target accuracy a SKS's can be very accurate if you spend the time and effort to make them so.

The main areas that need attention to get decent accuracy is a tight chamber (most issue SKS's have loose ones), decent metal to wood bedding and stopping all that rearward and loose tolerance metal clanging about after each shot.

Better barrels and wood to metal fitting is relatively easy to fix but the only way to deal with the purposely made (for reliability in adverse wartime conditions) loose tolerances in the receiver action besides custom machining new bolt and carrier metal parts and receiver is to convert to bolt action operation.

This is a $500 total cost (including scope and SKS rifle) custom build, single shot SKS with a shortened used M1919 machine gun barrel that gets 1 MOA accuracy at 100 yards, the guy who made it wanted to show a SKS can be as accurate as any other bolt action rifle -

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_20140920_182615_492.jpg

This 6 shot 1 MOA group was shot using only surplus issue ammo!

Interesting. I had a couple of bolt action rifles in 762x39 and could never get any decent accuracy out of them, even with Lapua ammo. Never could figure out why and then lost interest in trying.

To be crude I guess this rifle proves it is possible to polish a turd. ;)

M1917 Enfield
05-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Interesting. I had a couple of bolt action rifles in 762x39 and could never get any decent accuracy out of them, even with Lapua ammo. Never could figure out why and then lost interest in trying.

To be crude I guess this rifle proves it is possible to polish a turd. ;)

I have a AIA enfield in 7.62x39mm and it is a very accurate rifle. I had a friend who owned a savage bolt action in 7.62x39mm and he often got sub moa groups from it with handloaded ammo, another had one of the Zastava bolt actions that was very accurate too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFLuxxMiONI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttfnm8Evgq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM77KAOHHL8

Suputin
05-08-2017, 01:35 PM
I had a custom built rifle as well as a Mini Mauser and never could get either of them to be that accurate. Maybe I just sucked?

M1917 Enfield
05-08-2017, 02:21 PM
I had a custom built rifle as well as a Mini Mauser and never could get either of them to be that accurate. Maybe I just sucked?

I have heard that a lot of factory rifles have excessive chamber dimensions in this calibre, and same deal with chamber reamers for this cartridge as the military rifles in this calibre have that and long throats designed as a plus for reliability when ammo is dirty and covered with muck, but that is not the best situation for accuracy.

Rifles with tight chambers and short throats shoot much better.

Lee Enfield
05-08-2017, 03:44 PM
Yea, no I get it, you just can't seem to handle someone saying a $200 rifle designed for uneducated serfs is crap.

The M16 in its modern variations is just as reliable when abused and neglected and yet can easily best an SKS by several times in the accuracy department. There is no need for inaccurate crap to gain reliability. Even the M14 in all its variants is a very reliable rifle and can produce excellent accuracy. I owned an original M14 back in the day and used to shoot it out to 800 yds regularily. The M14 is so reliable and tough it is still issued to this day.

No the SKS for 200.00 is not crap, and if you want to talk about a M16 or M14 why not start a new thread rather continually attempting to derail this thread on the SKS.

It is obvious understanding why the SKS was developed and what it was meant to do is above your pay grade.

Grizz Axxemann
05-10-2017, 04:45 AM
I still hate the SKS and think they're crap. You'll never change my mind of that. Yes, I've owned one. I'm glad I got rid of it even if I sold it for half what I paid.

I will continue to openly mock people who drop $400+ into tacticool kit for their SKS. If you're gonna pick up a $200 Tula and use it as is for what it is, good on ya, go hard, you won't hear much out of me other than my usual SKS are crap spiel. If you want an X39 gun capable of moderate accuracy, get a Vz. I'm pretty sure my 858 with some serious pitting in the bore (put it away dirty once and forgot about it... whoops) will still shoot better in the right hands.

Lee Enfield
05-10-2017, 09:28 AM
I still hate the SKS and think they're crap. You'll never change my mind of that. Yes, I've owned one. I'm glad I got rid of it even if I sold it for half what I paid.

I will continue to openly mock people who drop $400+ into tacticool kit for their SKS. If you're gonna pick up a $200 Tula and use it as is for what it is, good on ya, go hard, you won't hear much out of me other than my usual SKS are crap spiel. If you want an X39 gun capable of moderate accuracy, get a Vz. I'm pretty sure my 858 with some serious pitting in the bore (put it away dirty once and forgot about it... whoops) will still shoot better in the right hands.

Again you haters talk apples and oranges. The SKS for 200.00 is very capable of doing what it was designed to do. You think your 858 would shoot better, well it bloody well better at almost 5X the price. Here is a apples and oranges back to you, I will bring a Savage FCP-K in .308 that I guarantee will make your 858 look like it is a 12 gauge shooting buckshot...irrelevant..do you get it now?

Attempt to keep on track, we are not talking about anything other than the SKS.

Lazagna
05-10-2017, 09:52 AM
Let's talk practical uses of the SKS for a moment. I am new to shooting, only having acquired my rifles in late 2015 and my PAL in 2016. I have only started going to the range this year, in April, and have seen some good results with my Ruger 10/22 with a 3-9x32 scope at 100 yards.

My problem lies in getting accurate with my SKS. I purchased it from Cabela's last year and have lots of surplus ammo, but I have troubles getting in on a sheet of standard letter sized paper at 100 yards. I can get 2-3 inch groupings at 50 yards, but when I get to 100 yards, lining up the iron sights seems very difficult. The paper is so far away, i'm not sure exactly where I am aiming as the front post of the sight covers the entire page.

What does everyone recommend to do so that I can shoot better? Also, should I have started a separate thread or can I hijack this one nicely?

infidel29
05-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Focus on the front sight so the target is blurry. Other than that I'd suggest you start a new thread so others can offer you shooting tips.

Also just a general observation to posters in this thread. Please try to refrain from personal attacks and instead focus on debating the merits of our arguments. We don't want this forum to degrade into CGN territory.

Lazagna
05-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Will do

Lee Enfield
05-26-2017, 07:18 PM
Here's a BONE for all you Haters.

At the range today and a guy I know had a SKS that on occasion wouldn't cycle properly. Intermittent and not sure why, maybe dragging on the trigger group.

Now you Haters have something to chew on!:pot:

Petamocto
05-26-2017, 08:39 PM
Greatest gun ever made.

Lee Enfield
05-26-2017, 09:44 PM
Greatest gun ever made.

Good to see your time with the guy with the couch is paying off!

Haywire1
05-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Inaccurate. I dunno, daughter seems to do ok at 100 yards, open sights with one.

And the majority of the ones i have had will do right around the same

cameron1
05-26-2017, 10:15 PM
Inaccurate? Maybe.....fun to go out and shoot? Absoulutely!

SIR VEYOR
05-27-2017, 02:11 AM
Greatest gun ever made.

Good to see your time with the guy with the couch is paying off!

Maybe he's following his boss's public relations style instead?

Swingerguy
05-27-2017, 02:48 AM
Inaccurate. I dunno, daughter seems to do ok at 100 yards, open sights with one.

Wow!! That is pretty good shooting in my books. I can hardly see the paper at that distance with no optics. :shoot:

kennymo
05-27-2017, 11:29 AM
Here's a BONE for all you Haters.

At the range today and a guy I know had a SKS that on occasion wouldn't cycle properly. Intermittent and not sure why, maybe dragging on the trigger group.

Now you Haters have something to chew on!:pot:

I've seen a couple that would jam or feed intermittently. Both were issues with the way the importer pinned the magazines, the follower couldn't rotate properly. These were the ones they removed the factory rivet and used that point to attach the pin, a little Dremel and file work near where the pin and follower meet cleared it up.

Wow!! That is pretty good shooting in my books. I can hardly see the paper at that distance with no optics. :shoot:

You need to get some bigger paper ;D.

Lee Enfield
05-27-2017, 03:02 PM

Looks like your daughter is a much better shot than the whiners.:pot:

Joshua13
06-04-2017, 09:33 AM
I just put a cheap Amazon red dot on mine and the dot covers the whole paper at 200yds and I still hit the paper 3/4 of the shots. It was also the first time I had shot it past 100

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

ESnel
06-04-2017, 10:12 AM
I just put a cheap Amazon red dot on mine and the dot covers the whole paper at 200yds and I still hit the paper 3/4 of the shots. It was also the first time I had shot it past 100

A bigger piece of paper will solve that issue :p

MarkR
06-05-2017, 04:35 AM

A bigger piece of paper will solve that issue :p

LOL!

Doug The Slug
06-18-2017, 07:33 AM
They have MILSURP matches 3 times a year south east of Ottawa at the EOSC located near Cheney. Several times the SKS has finished in the top 3 in scoring(including 1st place), of course we are seeing more and more of them there as the ammo is so cheap you don't even have to reload(unless you want to).