PDA

View Full Version : Tip on cleaning a mosins' barrel?

cameron1
05-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Hey Guys!

I picked up a 1944 Tula PU Mosin this week at my local Canadian tire.....

....and have been cleaning the barrel out ever since! 100+ patches later and probably a worn out brass brush and it doesn't look any better then when I started!

I was wondering if any experienced surplus collector (or sucker for punishment like me) has any words of wisdom or a trick up there sleeve on how to knock the powder out of it.

The barrel looks to be in good shape, no evidence of rust on the patches, barrel looks shiny with no pit marks, at least as I can tell with my untrained eyes.

Thanks

Magmalis
05-21-2017, 05:44 PM
Go shoot it for a bit and then clean it again. I wouldn't worry too much if it's just powder residue, I would just continue shooting and cleaning it.

DILLIGAF
05-21-2017, 06:13 PM
JB Bore paste , JB Bore Bright

Mark-II
05-21-2017, 07:02 PM
I usually use a foaming cleaner a few times, letting it sit overnight.

The trick, though, is to let your solvent sit for a while and give it time to work.

Mind that copper solvent is also going to slowly dissolve your brush.

Get the thing functionally clean, and don't worry too much. The fouling is just filling in the pits anyway ;)

cameron1
05-21-2017, 09:38 PM
Haha thanks guys. Ill give it I try. I'm a bit of a neat freak when it comes to my guns!

Lee Enfield
05-21-2017, 10:23 PM
Wipe Out is what I use with good luck. Leave it in for a couple hours at least.

Strewth
05-21-2017, 11:10 PM
JB Bore paste , JB Bore Bright
This, if you want to knock off the layer of encrusted powder that is covering the layer of copper that is easiest to attack with this:

Wipe Out is what I use with good luck. Leave it in for a couple hours at least.
I use it overnight; great stuff.

Although as mentioned above, it's a Mosin; shoot the fouling out! I love my M44, but I gave up on getting a perfectly clean barrel:).

Rory McCanuck
05-22-2017, 12:54 AM
Boiling water.
Wipe-Out.
Then maybe Ed's Red.

linung
05-22-2017, 03:11 PM
I have this can of WD40 sitting around in my house. I started to wonder, if I can use it to clean my gun. So I google it and found someone saying they use it to restore firearms and let it sit over night to get out the hard to remove rust.
Not really sure how well it actually works but if all else fails, it's something to try.

cameron1
05-22-2017, 03:24 PM
I have this can of WD40 sitting around in my house. I started to wonder, if I can use it to clean my gun. So I google it and found someone saying they use it to restore firearms and let it sit over night to get out the hard to remove rust.
Not really sure how well it actually works but if all else fails, it's something to try.

When I bought my SKS from Cabelas (caked in Cosmoline) the guy there gave me similar advice. Pour a container of WD40 into a container and let the pieces soak for a while. So i bought one of those big canisters of the stuff to use on it. Turns out my SKS cleaned up easier then I thought it would. So the can is sitting in the garage unused and was thinking of soaking the mosin with it, but I wasn't 100% sure it would work for powder residue and copper fowling. That's part of the reason I asked on here.

Thanks for your response,

Billythreefeathers
05-23-2017, 12:51 PM
use what the Russians used,, gas from ZIS, oil from T-34

Mark-II
05-23-2017, 12:57 PM
For cosmolene, varsol or mineral spirits melts it. Probably cheaper than WD-40 and less volatile than gas

Justice
05-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Plug the muzzle, fill the barrel with regular solvent and leave it there for a couple hours. Then clean as per normal. Repeat as required. Gives the solvent time to work.
"...caked in Cosmoline..." Cosmoline is just a commercial brand name for thick petroleum jelly. Requires soaking in Varsol(or any degreasant. WD40 isn't one.) for 24 hours. Then just wipe it off with clean rags. Do not dispose of the rags in the regular garbage or dump the resulting sludge down any drain. It's toxic.

SteelCap
05-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Clean it the swiss way.

DasMauser
05-24-2017, 08:10 PM
As mentioned above, plug the barrel at muzzle end, and fill with pure ammonia and let it sit overnight, then clean as normal. gets rid of copper fouling and damn near anything else as well. Got that tidbit from my gunsmith a while ago