PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Project

cameron1
05-26-2017, 12:26 PM
Hey Guys.

So you may have seen a Mosin Nagant with an archangel stock floating around the swap page.

A friend of mine moved out of country a few years ago, He didn't want to take his firearms with him, so he left them with me to keep safe until he moved back home.... Well he isn't moving home permanently now, so he signed off on the two guns over to me. A beautiful Winchester 12 Gauge, and this Nosin' Mosin in the aftermarket stock. Took it out earlier this spring to see how it shot. Which wasn't anything special. But the Scope mount way way the hell out of whack! Useless! So I didn't want this thing cluttering up my cabinet so I figured get rid of the thing. well couldn't get anyone to sniff at it. So Then I thought, well what if I can restore this thing to look not bad.

Ive noticed Westrifle.com has Nagant stocks with the hardware available relatively cheap, as well as the trigger guard. What I haven't been able to track down Is a bolt body. So I might have to get creative with it.

I was thinking it be kind of cool to do a similar build to what this gentlemen has created: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lza_FE9OYd4

Anyway I figured Id share with you the restoration I plan on doing. It will probably span throughout the summer months, My goal is to have a finished product in the fall. Advice and tips is welcome. One thing I need to figure out first is what to to with those mounting holes in the receiver and how to plug them off.

Cheers!

Rory McCanuck
05-26-2017, 01:23 PM
Personally, as my eyes have gotten older and I can't use open sights very well anymore, I'd try to fix the scope mount.
However, not my gun.
So, to fix the holes, measure the thread and size of the screw holes.
Go to Princess Auto or your local hardware store, and buy setscrews or filler screws fo the holes.
Insert the screws with a dab of blue locktite, and in the case of setscrews, file off the top of them so they're flush.
A bit of work, but it would make the holes almost invisible.
Don't just cut off the original screws, keep them with the mount to sell as a package, or keep in 'the drawer' until your eyes start to go and you need a scope.

RobertMcC
05-26-2017, 02:11 PM
I personally like the bent bolts better.

cameron1
05-26-2017, 05:27 PM
Personally, as my eyes have gotten older and I can't use open sights very well anymore, I'd try to fix the scope mount.
However, not my gun.
So, to fix the holes, measure the thread and size of the screw holes.
Go to Princess Auto or your local hardware store, and buy setscrews or filler screws fo the holes.
Insert the screws with a dab of blue locktite, and in the case of setscrews, file off the top of them so they're flush.
A bit of work, but it would make the holes almost invisible.
Don't just cut off the original screws, keep them with the mount to sell as a package, or keep in 'the drawer' until your eyes start to go and you need a scope.

I haven't given fixing the scope mount a lot of thought. Maybe by filing one side of the mounting bracket Id be able to correct the windage. But the worst part of it is that the bracket is mount with too much of a slant for the scope to correct for. It be a little too much trouble for me to try to fix, This gun will only be a fun gun anyway, so accuracy and precision isn't much of a concern. But I have saved all the screws and am going to put the complete mount set on the swap page for sale.

I personally like the bent bolts better.

I agree with you there, If I cant track down a bolt body I will probably craft a new bolt handle and maybe put one of those tear drop bolt handles for it. Right now whats on it looks to be a bent 3/8s bolt, and when it didn't fit under the mount it was filed down until it would, and then it was threaded into the bolt body. So I will probably get a soft metal bolt to bend and thread into the existing hole.

Not the prettiest bolt handle.

Billythreefeathers
05-26-2017, 05:55 PM
Hay Cameron,, what part of Alberta you in? I did a DIY Mosen Nagant Sniper a couple of years ago,, if it's already drilled and taped maybe it can be saved and turned into a mean sniping machine

cameron1
05-26-2017, 06:04 PM
Hay Cameron,, what part of Alberta you in? I did a DIY Mosen Nagant Sniper a couple of years ago,, if it's already drilled and taped maybe it can be saved and turned into a mean sniping machine

I live in the Calgary area. It might have accuracy potential, looking down the barrel there still is distinct rifling, but nothing too pretty. But to the get the scope mount lined up better then it is will take someone more skilled then I am to pull off, Its a aftermarket side mount.

Billythreefeathers
05-27-2017, 07:19 AM
I did all the drilling and tapping on the rifle,, easy,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDl0X1NQd_I&t=401s

cameron1
06-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Thanks for posting that video Billy. Ive decided I wont be fixing the scope mount on the one I'm restoring, but the info in the video on how to sight in the scope will be helpful with my PU Mosin.

I got the Stock and trigger guard in the mail yesterday. Had to wipe off the heavy petroleum jelly, but it fits, trigger guard fits. and they both are Izzy which the receiver is as well. But the Bolts I had from the Archangel stock are an issue, the back bolt fits, but the front trigger guard bolt is too small, so Ill have to hunt that down, not sure if hardware stores would have that kind of bolt and thread?

Anyway, I fitted the stock on, and now looking at it I don't think I'm going to get too crazy repainting. actually I don't think Ill repaint at all, I might strip the shellac* and put on a nice reddish stain instead.

That is all that has been happening.

(That front barrel band was a pain to put on with out taking the front sight off, but I got it to work.)

Billythreefeathers
06-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Cameron,,, here's a line I found helpful

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSpec.htm

cameron1
06-16-2017, 05:30 PM
So over the past little while I worked on the Mosin more. I filled the scope holes and blued them, looks kinda sloppy up close but luckily the scope covers it up mostly.

Stripped and retained the Stock, gave it a nice antique golden color. All in all I think its very nice looking. Just waiting for the bolts to come in the mail. Sold the other stock with the bolts it had and so right now its only being held together by friction!

Also made a new bolt handle for it out of a bolt I had laying around. It looks okay too.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o587/Mallard23/20170616_1715161_zpsowbswfrm.jpg