PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336, safety popped out

lone-wolf
06-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Testing my uncles new marlin, went to put it on safe, and it slide right out of the rifle leaving a hole! lol
Got the safety, the ball detent, but lost the spring.

Oh well, apparently with a google search, I can remove the butt stock and there's a screw I can remove and pop things back together.
Got a bag of springs from princess auto.

Keep an eye on your safety new marlin owners!

Rory McCanuck
06-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Or, just leave it out.

If you do decide to fix it, the Marlin is wonderfully simple to take apart and reassemble.
You'll want proper gunsmith screwdrivers though, the screws are all a bit of an odd size.

Open the action just a bit, take out all the screws, and pull it apart.
When you pull the bolt out, you'll have to shake the ejector out.
Putting it back isn't tough, but does require a bit of finesse to slide it in the groove, and make sure the stud is poking into the hole throught the side of the receiver.
Make sure the screw underneath at the mag tube is gudentight or it will cause feeding issues.
Or it will with the big-bores, anyways.

lone-wolf
06-05-2017, 12:53 PM
For the safety rory, all you need to do is remove the butt stock(flat driver) and there's a small allen set screw on the left hand side, remove that.
Cock the hammer and slide the safety back in. Put ball and spring into the hole the set screw was in, and replace the screw.

I actually just did it inbetween posts here.

Unfortunately that set screw is a POS and literally fell apart while screwing it back in. Like cheap pot metal.
It's back together, a little too tight but it works.
Will do until a better set screw is found. Might be good forever.

linung
06-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Makes me glad that I didn't get a Marlin 336W as my main hunting rifle. At the time it was the price of ammo that made me reconsider.

lone-wolf
06-05-2017, 02:01 PM
From snooping on marlin safety delete stores, I can pick up a #8-32 3/16" set screw as a replacement.
Hello fastenal...

BrotherRockeye
06-05-2017, 04:28 PM
I think it was a sign...

Ida pitched it and built a fake screw looking jobby...

lone-wolf
06-05-2017, 04:35 PM
I think it was a sign...

Ida pitched it and built a fake screw looking jobby...

Uncle's rifle, rather not be changing things on him, even if half cock is all you need and having a cross bolt safety is gonna cause a click and no bang at some point in the future :p