PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Pizza Enhance

RangeBob
06-07-2017, 01:37 AM
http://www.rangebob.com/Assorted/PizzaInFryingPan.jpg

That's a Lodge 12" cast iron frying pan, with a "Premiere Traditional Crust Pepperoni" (red box with two pizzas, 2x416g) supermarket frozen pizza in it, with some extras added to it.

1) I preheated the oven to bake 400F (bottom element) with the empty frying pan in the oven.
2) I cut the frozen pizza in half with a large serrated knife. Saw through a bit, then snap it. Refreeze the rest.
3) on the half "Premiere Traditional Crust Pepperoni", I added
- 1 cup of Kraft Pizza Shredded Cheese (base layer)
- 1/4 cup of Real Bacon Bits (1/4 cup is just right, more or less tastes wrong)
- a bunch of fresh green pepper chopped up into 1/4" bits
- Italian Seasoning (spice)
- (usually I add sliced mushrooms, but I was out of mushrooms)
- and 1/3 cup of Kraft Pizza Shredded Cheese, as a glue layer on top.
It's a little tall at this point, but it will melt down.
4) After the oven has reached the 400F mark, and 5 minutes at that temperature to get the frying pan to the same temperature, I put the pizza on the frying pan, and put the frying pan with pizza into the oven. I switched the over to 450F broil (top element). I started checking the pizza at 10 minutes, and took it out at 12 minutes. I like the cheese a little brown after the initial boiling bubbles settle down a bit but are still present, with the crust a little brown underneath.

Photo is taken at this point (cooked, just out of the oven), before cutting and putting on the plate.

Tasty. Repeatable. Slightly firm crust a little browned on the bottom.
Cut into 3 triangles with pizza wheel cutter, and serve on a plate.

I've found the heated frying pan works better than a heated pizza stone for this.

greywolf67nt
06-07-2017, 08:19 AM
I have never had any luck adding things to a frozen pizza on a regular pizza pan something is always under or over cooked.
Gonna have to try the frying pan idea.

RangeBob
06-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Pictures of the ingredients
http://www.save.ca/community/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/3CheesePizza_3D.jpg
https://smartcityfoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Club-House-Italian-Seasoning.jpeg
http://assets.kraftfoods.com/ecomm/kraft-canada/product-image/400x400/00044700057377_a1c1.jpg
https://bigoven-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_300,w_300/green-bell-pepper.jpg
http://18ntu21bopm439dwudgtv4fi.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Premiere-Pizza-pepperoni-416g.jpg

wolver
06-07-2017, 09:02 AM
Looks good, but after adding extra ingredients and taking the extra time, I think I'll just order in and save the time and money.;)

greywolf67nt
06-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Looks good, but after adding extra ingredients and taking the extra time, I think I'll just order in and save the time and money.;)

Order in? Only in my dreams :tounge: Everything I eat is frozen.

RangeBob
06-07-2017, 02:07 PM

I often want food after the corresponding stores have closed. e.g. 3am.

But during normal hours, ..., Dominos Australia announced 10-minutes-or-its-free delivery last month. They have a machine that throws the toppings on, they upped the temperature of their oven so it cooks in 2 minutes flat, and they have motorcycles to deliver pizza to a single address that they expect drivers to weave in and out and between traffic with.

kennymo
06-07-2017, 02:47 PM

Two decent extra large pizzas just ran me $40. I buy the Costco ones (bigger) for around $10 each and throw some extra cheese, mushrooms and peppers on them. Takes about the same amount of time as waiting for delivery, costs around 2/3 of ordering in, plus you get more pizza....

RangeBob
06-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Also, making it myself means I never get a bad one.
Sometimes delivery, even pickup, are less than stellar.

firemachine69
06-07-2017, 07:40 PM
GAH! Delivery!

If I ever had a gripe about Calgary, was the utterly crappy, non-existent selection of pies for delivery after midnight on a Saturday. Hell, you better have a car for the McD DT, 'cuz there's nothing else open!!!

shortandlong
06-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Ok good one

RangeBob
06-07-2017, 09:48 PM
non-existent selection of pies for delivery after midnight on a Saturday.

Southern Ontario:

Pizza Pizza - close 2pm
Boston Pizza - close 1am
Pizzaville - close 1am
Dominos Pizza - close midnight
Pizza Hut - close 10pm
Mamma's Pizza - close 10pm

FALover
06-08-2017, 02:10 AM
We dress up frozen pizza all the time. Cost effective and always hot. As we are 12-15 minutes from any pizza place, dinner ordered in is usually cool by the time it gets here.

greywolf67nt
06-08-2017, 07:32 AM
Two decent extra large pizzas just ran me $40. I buy the Costco ones (bigger) for around $10 each and throw some extra cheese, mushrooms and peppers on them. Takes about the same amount of time as waiting for delivery, costs around 2/3 of ordering in, plus you get more pizza....

I need you to go to Costco and mail me some pizza. The last one I bought up here was a regular old McCain pepperoni and was $17:eek1:

kennymo
06-08-2017, 08:04 AM
I need you to go to Costco and mail me some pizza. The last one I bought up here was a regular old McCain pepperoni and was $17:eek1:

The $10-$12 fresh ones are real nice, and pretty big. They had 4 packs of the frozen Kirkland brand pepperoni pizzas on sale last time I was in, just tried one yesterday it was about as good as frozen pizza gets. Topped off their pepperoni with thick sliced fresh mushrooms, loads of shredded marble cheese, a Clubhouse Parmesan and garlic concoction and a little oregano.

greywolf67nt
06-08-2017, 08:26 AM
The $10-$12 fresh ones are real nice, and pretty big. They had 4 packs of the frozen Kirkland brand pepperoni pizzas on sale last time I was in, just tried one yesterday it was about as good as frozen pizza gets. Topped off their pepperoni with thick sliced fresh mushrooms, loads of shredded marble cheese, a Clubhouse Parmesan and garlic concoction and a little oregano.

Now you're just rubbing it in :mad1:

firemachine69
06-08-2017, 10:34 AM
Southern Ontario:

Pizza Pizza - close 2pm
Boston Pizza - close 1am
Pizzaville - close 1am
Dominos Pizza - close midnight
Pizza Hut - close 10pm
Mamma's Pizza - close 10pm

Notice I said Calgary? :)

They all close around 9-10pm. I think only Saskatoon was worse...