PDA

View Full Version : CPC MP's response to Levant's misleading "Scheer supports the carbon tax!" rant

soulchaser
06-08-2017, 04:20 PM
John Barlow, Alberta CPC MLA
There have been social media posts stating our decision to reaffirm our support for the Paris Accord somehow depicts a change in course for Conservatives and we now support the Liberal's disastrous carbon tax. This is categorically incorrect.

Since the Liberals were elected in 2015, I have worked extensively advocating for Alberta's energy sector and trying to change the Liberals' misperceptions of Alberta. I have ADAMANTLY opposed a carbon tax and I will proudly continue to do so. I have done so in the riding, in the House, and as vice-chair of the Standing Committee on Natural Resources.

One of the main reasons I support Andrew as leader is his commitment to champion our resource sector and to repeal the federal carbon tax. We both agree we can meet our environment goals without imposing a job-killing carbon tax.

I want to provide some clarification on the MOTION put forward by the Liberals. It is not a bill and has zero legislative power.

The vast majority of Canadians - including Conservatives - want us to be part of the Paris Agreement. That being said, the Paris Accord is a commitment for nations to set their own aspirational emissions targets. Those targets are NON-BINDING. Our only obligation under the agreement is periodic reporting on our emissions, which we do anyways. You can read the agreement here: http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2015/cop21/eng/l09.pdf

There is confusion regarding the non-binding Paris Accord and Kyoto. The Kyoto protocol would have required Canada to buy emissions credits from other countries. THAT agreement would have led to wealth-transfer without emissions reductions. As such, our party has always opposed it. Stephen Harper signed onto the Copenhagen agreement, while rejecting Kyoto.

Under Stephen Harper, greenhouse gas emissions went DOWN - without industry being undercut, and without new taxes. Going forward, our party has a choice - either argue about the science of climate change, or defend our record while focusing on the Liberal's carbon tax agenda. I prefer the latter.

Finally, we do much more damage to our energy industry by publicly opposing a non-binding agreement. We should be part of the agreement, while defending our industry, and our record. Pulling out would put a big target on the back of our industry, making it harder to gain market access.

As Conservatives, we need to stand up for Alberta's interests and we are - but we also need to show we have policies that appeal to a broad number of Canadians.

We made a decision to reaffirm our support for the Paris Accord, which we supported last year. In doing so it will help us win in 2019 so we can return to government, repeal the carbon tax, and get Alberta back on track.

I hope this helps, and please feel free to share this with anyone who is asking questions or claiming this vote somehow indicates Conservatives are now supporting the Liberal carbon tax.

Thank you for taking the time to write on this very important issue.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
John

soulchaser
06-08-2017, 04:22 PM
Maybe little Ezra should have, oh I don't know, actually talked to someone in the CPC before going on his rant?

But that really ain't his style is it?

TJSpeller
06-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Just for the record John Barlow is a very red tory.

soulchaser
06-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Just for the record John Barlow is a very red tory.

Maybe so, but everything he said makes sense, and everything Levant said is bull.

CLW .45
06-08-2017, 05:39 PM
What utter nonsense.

The Paris accord is not about pollution.

Pollution is something that poisons the air we breath and the water we drink.

The accord is about an entirely phoney crisis wherein CO2 causes the planet to warm at a rate that will make Saskatchewan and the Midwest of the USA beachfront property in our lifetimes. And the solution to that is carbon taxes and destruction of the economies of the industrial world.

Far from being a problem, CO2 is not just a good thing for plants - it is essential. And warm climates are not just my idea of a good place to live - they are essential to a healthy and buoyant economy.

I'd really like to know what kind of protection these CPC politicians wear to prevent unbearable chafing from constantly straddling the fence.