PDA

View Full Version : Greater Canadian job growth expected in May employment report

Billythreefeathers
06-09-2017, 06:44 AM
Greater Canadian job growth expected in May employment report

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-employment-lookahead-1.4151582

After a tepid April jobs report, economists are expecting to see stronger employment gains for May when the latest labour force survey results are released later this morning by Statistics Canada.

The consensus forecast is that employment rose by 11,300 in May and the unemployment rate ticked up to 6.6 per cent, as more people entered the job market.

CIBC Capital Markets is expecting job growth for last month to come in at 17,000, following April's small jobs gain of only 3,200.

Job growth flat in April but jobless rate ticks down to 6.5%
"Call it a modest bounce back after the prior month's lacklustre reading on employment growth," CIBC Capital Markets economist Nick Exharos said in a recent commentary.

"We're also looking for the composition of job growth to be of higher quality, with more full-time and paid work being registered," Exharos said.

CIBC expects the national jobless rate will hold steady at 6.5 per cent, thanks to an expected rise in the number of people in the labour force.

"That's still low on a historical basis, and even a modest slowdown in job growth ahead should keep Canada on track to close labour market slack sometime in the coming quarters," Exharos said.

Economist Benjamin Reitzes of BMO Capital Markets said they're looking for the May job report to show a "decent" increase of 15,000​ positions.

Higher unemployment

"After a rocking first quarter, it's tough to deny that the Canadian economy is looking much healthier," Reitzes said. Employment has been solid since last August, though momentum has slowed a bit over the past few months.

Canada's economy grew at 3.7% pace in first quarter of 2017
BMO expects that more people being drawn into the labour market will push the national unemployment rate to 6.6 per cent.

National Bank's forecast is more downbeat compared to the outlook of other economists.

Citing the fact that the Canadian economy has added roughly 250,000 jobs from the third quarter of 2016 through the first quarter of this year, which National said was the best three-quarter performance since 2010, the bank said "such gains are arguably unsustainable."

"Consequently, we're expecting employment to have increased only [5,000] in May, leaving the unemployment rate unchanged at 6.5 per cent." National said.

Billythreefeathers
06-09-2017, 06:44 AM
Oh,, look another Daycare and right beside the new Dollaramma

kennymo
06-09-2017, 06:54 AM
Construction gearing up for summer.... Plenty of guys were out of work this winter around here, we're desperately trying to find more experienced apprentices and journeymen right now. Looks like we'll go into the fall strong this year at least. Road construction has bumped up to full steam ahead over the past month as well.

RangeBob
06-09-2017, 06:57 AM
24,512,273 – Number of 2010 personal income tax returns.
Canada GDP $1552.80 billion in US dollars in 2015, or $2097 billion CAD.
That's $85,548 GDP per taxpayer. (2097 billion / 24,512,273)

justin spent $30 billion in deficit spending a year, not including interest payments on the additional debt. At $85,548 per taxpayer, that should be an increase of 350,680 jobs. ($30 billion / $85548)
Divided by 12 months, that's 29,223 full time jobs per month (gosh I hope for $85,548 per year that's full time employment).

The original post says "The consensus forecast is that employment rose by 11,300 in May"

Can you say "false economy" in either of its at least two definitions
a) temporary government spending to increase employment, knowing if you ever stop you'll lose the employment of a third of a million people
b) spending so much, to get less than half the anticipated jobs.

FlyingHigh
06-09-2017, 06:58 AM
I drove past no less than 5 "now hiring" signs on my way to work. We're doing 12 hour days and working weekends. We have too much work and cant find good people to hire. Its almost like 2013 is back....

blacksmithden
06-09-2017, 07:14 AM
I drove past no less than 5 "now hiring" signs on my way to work. We're doing 12 hour days and working weekends. We have too much work and cant find good people to hire. Its almost like 2013 is back....

You should have been here in 2006. I doubt Ill ever see that level of insanity again in my lifetime. Oh...you can show up every 3rd day....youre hired. You have no skills ? No problem. You have a drug problem ? Ok, just dont tell anyone. Youre going to jail on Thursday ? Ok, but can you work Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday ? AND THAT WAS ALL ON THE SAME PERSON !

kennymo
06-09-2017, 07:21 AM
You should have been here in 2006. I doubt Ill ever see that level of insanity again in my lifetime. Oh...you can show up every 3rd day....youre hired. You have no skills ? No problem. You have a drug problem ? Ok, just dont tell anyone. Youre going to jail on Thursday ? Ok, but can you work Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday ? AND THAT WAS ALL ON THE SAME PERSON !

Yeah....right around that same timeframe the outfit I was working for hired a heroin addict that was literally living under a bridge....to be a site foreman..... He lasted about four or five months until they found out he was living in the crawl space of the job they had him on.....

soulchaser
06-09-2017, 07:27 AM
Numbers are out.

55,000 net new jobs created.

Despite CBC's glowing analysis, I'll wait for an independent ecomomist to analyze.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-jobs-may-1.4153138

Canada's economy added a net 55,000 jobs in May, blowing past expectations with a surge in full-time work.

Statistics Canada reported Friday*the economy added 77,000 full-time jobs, but that was offset by a loss of just over 22,000 part-time positions.

Almost all the new jobs came in the private sector, while self-employment and the public sector were little changed.

soulchaser
06-09-2017, 07:31 AM
Sector and provincial breakdown

Despite the jobs surge, the unemployment rate ticked up to 6.6 per cent, as more than 78,000 people entered the job market looking for work during the month.

"Even the modest uptick in the unemployment rate is a welcome development as it reflected a labour market that drew Canadians back in," DePratto said, noting that the participation rate among the core working age population is now near record highs.

The manufacturing sector added 25,000 new jobs, while the finance, insurance and real estate sector lost 17,000.

Health care added about 15,000 jobs, while the information, culture and recreation sector lost about the same amount.

RangeBob
06-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Canada's economy added a net 55,000 jobs in May,
That seems good.

I wanted to check http://www.statcan.gc.ca/ for the annual stats,
but the website seems to be down right now.

soulchaser
06-09-2017, 07:43 AM
That seems good.

I wanted to check http://www.statcan.gc.ca/ for the annual stats,
but the website seems to be down right now.

On it's face, yeah.

20,000 manufacturing jobs added in Ontario. Are they skilled manufacturing or minimum wage manufacturing?

Wages only went up 1%. sounds good, but Canadians have less buying power than we did this time last year.

FlyingHigh
06-09-2017, 09:04 AM

I was still in high school. ;D