PDA

View Full Version : Removing paint from scope

Drache
06-30-2017, 08:20 AM
Has anyone ever tried removing paint from a scope?

Had an offer to buy a scope, a Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50. Brand new the scopes are just shy of $1000, so for $375 for the scope and a set of Vortex 30mm rings, I figured what the hell. The only issue with the scope was the previous owner painted it.

Do I just say screw it and paint over the tan with a standard black? Sandblasting is what I'll do to the rings but I'm not sure about the scope.

The paint is a Krylon Fusion from what it looks like.

Eel
06-30-2017, 08:26 AM
If it's krylon, you should be able to use mineral spirits and a rag to get it off. Take care to keep your lenses covered of course, and don't dip the scope in the spirits.

RobertMcC
06-30-2017, 08:33 AM
Goo Off Graffiti remover. Worked on ALL my painted guns. W/o damaging the finish below. I just sprayed and used a nylon brush under the tap. And kept on doing that till the paint was gone.

Rory McCanuck
06-30-2017, 12:33 PM
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/MAK-GRI-9069.jpg

kennymo
06-30-2017, 12:34 PM
^^ Just remember to go easy on the trigger.....

Drache
07-06-2017, 09:43 PM
Ok so I went with Acetone. It was fast and easy to wipe off the Krylon.

Also another thumbs up to Vortex. The Acetone wiped off the Krylon but didn't touch any of the markings on the Vortex scope. Their name, serial number, and even dial numbers were not effected by the Acetone.