PDA

View Full Version : Indigenous candidates likely to be overlooked in choice of next governor-general

Billythreefeathers
07-05-2017, 06:19 AM
John Ivison: Indigenous candidates likely to be overlooked in choice of next governor-general

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-indigenous-candidates-likely-to-be-overlooked-in-choice-of-next-governor-general/wcm/aab4a600-1595-45d5-afa8-1e46a8ea7d9b

David Johnston’s address to the crowd during the Canada Day noon show will likely be his last major national event.

After seven years pushing a message of inclusiveness and constant improvement, His Excellency will walk into history this fall as one of the country’s most able and beloved governors-general.

The identity of his successor remains a closely-guarded secret but it is understood the person has already been chosen and that their identity will be revealed later in July — weeks ahead of the original schedule. The matter is likely to be raised when the Prime Minister meets the Queen in Edinburgh next week, ahead of the G20 summit in Germany.

This time there was no vice-regal advisory committee like the non-partisan group that recommended Johnston to Stephen Harper. Justin Trudeau will take his own counsel on the appointment.

When asked about it last year, Trudeau raised expectations the monarch’s next representative might be indigenous.

“When it comes to a choice about who will fill (Johnston’s) big shoes, I can assure you I will take into account the nature of Canada and the desire of Canadians to see institutions and appointments across the government that reflect the diversity of Canada,” he told CBC.

Choosing an indigenous governor-general would be a sign the Liberals are committed to more than just gesture politics, advocates say — “an opportunity to make a powerful statement and keep the reconciliation process moving forward,” said Roberta Jamieson, CEO of Indspire, the indigenous education charity.

Jamieson would have been an ideal candidate — Canada’s first female indigenous lawyer, the first indigenous woman to be Ombudsman of Ontario and a recipient of the Order of Canada who holds 25 honourary degrees.

But sources suggest that the new governor-general will not be indigenous after all — because a candidate emerged who was “too spectacular to say no to.”

The convention has been to alternate anglophones and francophones. The belief however is the new governor-general need not be francophone this time, but must have flawless French.

When CBC asked last year for suggestions for a new governor-general, Chris Hadfield emerged as a popular choice. The retired astronaut and former commander of the International Space Station would tick a lot of boxes — he speaks good French, lives in Canada and is currently on a Canada 150 speaking tour aimed at inspiring youth to “individual betterment and action.” He could not be reached for comment this week.

The choice of an anglo, even one who speaks decent French, will provoke some grumbling in Quebec. But it is the decision to overlook indigenous candidates that may provoke most comment.

There is no shortage of qualified contenders. Murray Sinclair, former chair of the residential schools Truth and Reconciliation Commission, and Mary Simon, a former diplomat from Nunavik, Que., who has recently been a ministerial special representative on Arctic issues, are both eminently qualified.

Maybe, just maybe, reconciliation between Canadians at large and indigenous peoples can happen in our lifetime
Roberta Jamieson

As Jamieson said in a speech she gave on Canada’s sesquicentennial, the next 150 years don’t have to carry the burden of the country’s evolution — the division between the colonizers and the colonized. “Maybe, just maybe, reconciliation between Canadians at large and indigenous peoples can happen in our lifetime.”

She said her main fear is that reconciliation becomes a hollow word.

“We need an indigenous governor-general,” she said. “We need an indigenous Supreme Court justice and indigenous people in all kinds of real leadership roles. That’s very real institutional change.”

A brighter future becomes possible when young indigenous people realize they are part of a society that offers them a strong, affirming sense of their identity, she said.

The Liberal government is leaving itself open to the charge of rank hypocrisy: that it talks a good game on reconciliation but when key appointments are made – governors general, Supreme Court justices — other priorities take precedence.

The gradual progress of its broader mission — to deliver change such as new schools and cleaner water to indigenous communities through the existing delivery system of the Indigenous and Northern Affairs department — is not winning rave reviews from indigenous advocates or the media. Major structural changes appear to be imminent on the file.

That will require yet more promises of a better Canada to come for indigenous peoples. They can hardly be blamed if they are sceptical next time around, having had hopes dashed time and again.

Chris Hadfield may prove a “spectacular” choice but he does not reflect diversity or offer indigenous Canadians the same sense of validation that a Jamieson would have provided.

Whoever is chosen, they have a hard act to follow when it comes to native issues. Johnston has prided himself on creating an environment where reconciliation is possible by constantly urging Canadians to do better. He will be missed.

Billythreefeathers
07-05-2017, 06:19 AM
Wynne to step down as liberal leader in Ont to take the appointment

liberals win another provincial election

Doug_M
07-05-2017, 06:29 AM
“We need an indigenous governor-general,” she said. “We need an indigenous Supreme Court justice and indigenous people in all kinds of real leadership roles. That’s very real institutional change.”

A brighter future becomes possible when young indigenous people realize they are part of a society that offers them a strong, affirming sense of their identity, she said.

I actually agree with that. It's time. Positive role models are important, as is the belief that high goals are available to all. Hadfield is relatively young, he can wait a bit.

BgBlkDg
07-05-2017, 07:04 AM
Absolutely NOT, NEVER and ONLY Canadian-born English speaking members of our founding groups should be considered;chosen.,

NO MORE, stinking Lieberal stooges such as the revolting Adrienne Clarkson or that separatist-supporting Michelle Jean, not EVER!!!

soulchaser
07-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Absolutely NOT, NEVER and ONLY Canadian-born English speaking members of our founding groups should be considered;chosen.,

NO MORE, stinking Lieberal stooges such as the revolting Adrienne Clarkson or that separatist-supporting Michelle Jean, not EVER!!!

I didn't have a problem with Jean.

She was once criticized by PETA types for wearing a seal skin jacket.

Her response was to go north, actively participate in a traditional Innu seal hunt, watch it get butchered and eat a piece of it's heart raw.

soulchaser
07-05-2017, 07:48 AM
"Chris Hadfield may prove a “spectacular” choice but he does not reflect diversity or offer indigenous Canadians the same sense of validation that a Jamieson would have provided."

And what exactly is his knowledge level regarding the Constitution, given the GG can be called upon to deal with constitutional crises.

Harper appoints a Constitution scholar, and typical of the Liberals Trudeau looks for a celebrity.

Can you imagine Canada Day 2018? A torturous Sophie Trudea and Chris Hadfield duet on stage.

Billythreefeathers
07-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Can you imagine Canada Day 2018? A torturous Sophie Trudea and Chris Hadfield duet on stage.

singing Yoko Ono greatest hits

Rory McCanuck
07-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Does Peter Manscape speak French? He's looking for something to do.
Is Celine Dion's Vegas gig up yet? She'd tick all the boxes Turd needs; Famous, French, Fabulous, Female, F***ing clueless about how gov't works...

Zinilin
07-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Why do descendants of the third wave of Asian immigration to North America think they are special?

It is because of the fact that they waged war against the descendants of the second wave of Asian immigration to North America, killing most of them and pushing the rest South to Central America?

Like the Romans and their collaborators they ruled a vast area for a long time and like the Romans and their collaborators they were defeated and/or pacified by later military forces.

Losers.

Butters Stotch
07-06-2017, 08:13 AM

Calm down Fritz, you're gonna have a stroke.

wolver
07-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Ban the Monarchy!

sltoronto
07-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Republic of Canada!

presidential - with direct elections ..

total lustration of the public service before re-employment and of all politicians ever being elected before allowing to continue ..

one less level of the government .. way too many now for just 37 mils ...

BgBlkDg
07-06-2017, 10:09 AM
I will NOT go back on my Oath of Allegiance, which I have taken a few times for employment. Gentlemen, DO NOT break their word, it is just not done.

I also slightly prefer the Monarchy as it has been a bulwark against creeping "Yankeeism" and the hordes of immigrants from wherever. IF, we had a binding referendum on this issue, who knows, but , there is too much foreign influence in Canadian affairs-politics now as Trudeau 2's cabinet so disgustingly makes obvious.

What are your thoughts on how to do a referendum?

sltoronto
07-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Referendums are, generally, not a bad idea ... but with some underwater problems too ..
see what happens with our elections ... put dippers and libtards together ..
so many lefty-brainwashed people ... and that will be reflected in any referendum's results ..
So, questions' wording will have to be crafted very carefully ..

Zinilin
07-06-2017, 12:10 PM
In the USA they have the 2nd amendment that acts as a bulk-ward against government tyranny, something beyond the reach of the elected officials.

In the Canada we have the Monarchy that acts as a bulk-ward against tyranny, something beyond the reach of the elected officials.

If we lose the Monarchy and don't get our right to firearms constitutionally guaranteed then we will eventually have tyranny in Canada.
Real tyranny, no just a bunch of upset voters.

In Canada the Prime Minister is appointed, yes Appointed, by the Head of state, the Queen. The Queen can, at her pleasure, dissolve HER Canadian government. That is in the Constitution. If you want to remove that then you must add in the right to firearms.

It is the Crown that RULES Canada, Justin just Governs.

Forbes/Hutton
07-06-2017, 01:56 PM
I'd say Red Green, cuz he's got enough duct tape to cover the Prime Moron's big mouth

Or

Don Cherry, if you have to be told why GET OUT OF THE COUNTRY YOU FAKE CANADIAN

Or

Rex Murphy, but he would be muzzled with the job, but that might be the perfect reason for the PM to choose him

Or

Rick Mercer, because he's gay and "it's 2017"

awndray
07-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Absolutely NOT, NEVER and ONLY Canadian-born English speaking members of our founding groups should be considered;chosen.

Non.

joe6167
07-06-2017, 10:07 PM
"“too spectacular to say no to.”"

That can't bode well for the rest of us normal people...

Mark-II
07-06-2017, 10:15 PM
That can't bode well for the rest of us normal people...

Gay, ethnic minority, female, liberal crony.

Pick at least 2. Or, since it's Justin choosing, go for the whole diversity buffet.

joe6167
07-06-2017, 10:31 PM

Pick at least 2. Or, since it's Justin choosing, go for the whole diversity buffet.

Heh, I doubt we would see a "lesbian asian female conservative"... that last one voids the first three....

Coke
07-07-2017, 08:07 PM
I thought that's why Mansbridge was retiring. After having shilled for him to win the election, Little Potato now rewards him with a senator-ship to go with his CBC Platinum Pension... And his first job will be to pardon Khadr...

chrisc
07-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Maybe it's Khadr.....

Billythreefeathers
07-08-2017, 04:55 PM

I made my prediction in post #2

Cathleen Wynne,, she's 3 out of 4

Forbes/Hutton
07-08-2017, 05:22 PM
I made my prediction in post #2

Cathleen Wynne,, she's 3 out of 4

Either your math or your eyesight is way off. Gay -check, liberal crony -check. Ethnic -nope. Female -prove it.

Billythreefeathers
07-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Either your math or your eyesight is way off. Gay -check, liberal crony -check. Ethnic -nope. Female -prove it.

well colour me red,, I though she was Indian ;)

Doug_M
07-08-2017, 05:33 PM
well colour me red,, I though she was Indian ;)

You're thinking of Elizabeth Warren.