PDA

View Full Version : Omar Khadr

Pages : [1] 2

Canuck
07-03-2017, 10:44 PM
Khadr to get apology, millions in compensation: reports

CTV National News: Reports of apology for Khadr

https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.2364491.1431045758%21/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_150/image.jpg
Multiple media sources report that the federal government will give an apology and compensation package to Omar Khadr.

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Monday, July 3, 2017 11:56PM EDT

The federal government is set to offer Omar Khadr an apology and more than $10 million in compensation for abuses he suffered during his detainment in Guantanamo Bay, according to multiple reports.
An announcement of the deal is expected this week, the Globe and Mail and Toronto Star reported late Monday night.
Khadr was 15 years old when he was captured in Afghanistan in 2002, following a shootout with U.S. troops. He was accused of throwing a grenade that killed Sgt. Christopher Speer.

Photos

https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.2914559.1499140563%21/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_225/image.jpg (https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.2914559.1499140563%21/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg)

Omar Khadr, left, leaves court with his lawyer Nate Whitling, right, after a judge ruled to relax bail conditions in Edmonton on Sept. 18, 2015. (Amber Bracken / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

He spent most of the next 10 years in Guantanamo Bay, before accepting a plea deal that enabled him to return to Canada in 2012. He was freed on bail in May 2015 and moved into the care of his Canadian lawyer Dennis Edney.

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in 2010 that Canada violated Khadr’s rights when officials interrogated him at Guantanamo Bay.
"Interrogation of a youth, to elicit statements about the most serious criminal charges while detained in these conditions and without access to counsel, and while knowing that the fruits of the interrogations would be shared with the U.S. prosecutors, offends the most basic Canadian standards about the treatment of detained youth suspects," the court ruled.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/khadr-to-get-apology-millions-in-compensation-reports-1.3487675

FALover
07-03-2017, 11:45 PM
No apology from me thanks. I would be wondering how much of the cash will end up in his lawyers pocket? How do I go about demanding that absolutely none of my tax dollars goes to those scum sucking f***s?

BgBlkDg
07-04-2017, 12:51 AM
Khadr and his entire family are filth and should be deported. He should be flogged and then hanged.

I hope he dies soon!!!!

Westicle
07-04-2017, 02:02 AM
No apology from me thanks. I would be wondering how much of the cash will end up in his lawyers pocket? How do I go about demanding that absolutely none of my tax dollars goes to those scum sucking f***s?

I'm more worried how much of that money is going to be used for domestic terrorism or laundered and sent oversea's

Waterloomike
07-04-2017, 03:21 AM
I bet they wish they had shot him when they had the chance. Trudeau always takes the wrong side. He's aiding and abetting the enemy. Isn't that t_____n? The guy was Al Quaida ffs.

goosesniper
07-04-2017, 04:08 AM
Should the US sanction us now for contributing to terrorism?
As well, isn't it legal to have anal sex in Canada at the age of 14. Wasn't this A hole 15 when all this went down. It appears age only matters when your getting screwed by the feds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canada_Phil
07-04-2017, 05:09 AM
One of the most reprehensible acts by this Government to date.

Just when you think you have heard it all from Mick Jagger's Son, he continues to astonish. He should go all in and personally deliver the apology and Liberal lottery winnings cheque to his hero... and pose for a selfie.

Waterloomike
07-04-2017, 05:30 AM
This is money that Canadian veterans have no chance at all of getting. Wouldn't even be heard in a tribunal or court.

This son of castro is doing his best to turn this country inside out and upside down.

What's next?

This is actually nauseating to the point of vomiting.

Billythreefeathers
07-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Ottawa reportedly set to pay Omar Khadr $10.5M

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/khadr-settlement-1.4189146

Ottawa is going to apologize and give millions to former Guantanamo Bay prisoner Omar Khadr, according to multiple reports.

Khadr — who pleaded guilty to killing a U.S. soldier when he was 15, under interrogation that was later deemed "oppressive" — will receive $10.5 million, according to unnamed sources who spoke to The Associated Press, The Toronto Star and The Globe and Mail. The government and Khadr's lawyers negotiated the deal last month, according to AP.

Speaking to reporters in Ireland, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said only that a judicial process was underway, and that the process should be ending soon.

Ottawa drops court appeal seeking to overturn Khadr's bail
Khadr's criminal record in Canada shows 'absolute ignorance,' lawyer says
The Canadian-born Khadr was 15 when he was captured by U.S. troops following a firefight at a suspected al-Qaeda compound in Afghanistan that resulted in the death of an American special forces medic, Sgt. Christopher Speer. Khadr, who was suspected of throwing the grenade that killed Speer, was taken to Guantanamo and ultimately charged with war crimes by a military commission.

He pleaded guilty in 2010 to charges that included murder and was sentenced to eight years plus the time he had already spent in custody. He returned to Canada two years later to serve the remainder of his sentence and was released in May 2015 pending an appeal of his guilty plea, which he said was made under duress.

Omar Khadr spent 10 years in Guantanamo Bay. His case received international attention after some dubbed him a child soldier.

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in 2010 that Canadian intelligence officials obtained evidence from Khadr under "oppressive circumstances," such as sleep deprivation, during interrogations at Guantanamo Bay in 2003, and then shared that evidence with U.S. officials.

Khadr was the youngest and last Western detainee held at the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

His lawyers filed a $20 million US wrongful imprisonment lawsuit against the Canadian government, arguing the government violated international law by not protecting its own citizen and conspired with the U.S. in its abuse of Khadr.

The widow of Speer and another American soldier blinded by the grenade in Afghanistan filed a wrongful death and injury lawsuit against Khadr in 2014 fearing Khadr might get his hands on money from his wrongful imprisonment lawsuit. A U.S. judge granted $134.2 million US in damages in 2015, but the plaintiffs acknowledged then that there was little chance they would collect any of the money from Khadr because he lives in Canada.

Khadr's lawyers have long said he was pushed into war by his father, Ahmed Said Khadr, whose family stayed with Osama bin Laden briefly when Omar Khadr was a boy. Khadr's Egyptian-born father was killed in 2003 when a Pakistani military helicopter shelled the house where he was staying with senior al-Qaida operatives.

After his 2015 release from prison in Alberta, Omar Khadr apologized to the families of the victims. He said he rejects violent jihad and wants a fresh start to finish his education and work in health care. He currently resides in an apartment in Edmonton, Alberta.

Billythreefeathers
07-04-2017, 06:29 AM
​ disgraceful,,

Mark-II
07-04-2017, 06:49 AM
Can't wait to troll the turds kool-aide klub with this one...

Canada_Phil
07-04-2017, 06:56 AM
It will be interesting to see if this makes it to Trump's desk and if it results in a tweet.

As cringe worthy as some of Trump's tweets are, when you add the completely wide open arms attitude of our Government to the more recent acts of terror by those "Canadians" who have been "welcomed" here, it begins to back up the narrative that we are a haven to those that wish to do us harm (and by "us" I mean we and our allies).

Hopefully, the US Federal Government will never fall for that "Send them back to do their time in prison here" BS again! This should be a perfect example for the US to keep that Flint attacker in maximum security incarceration for like... EVER!!

glockfan
07-04-2017, 07:11 AM
WTF?? this is tax payers money,and now, we must pay 10millions and gives excuses to a terorrist? proof is now made that trudo is financing openly the terrorist ranks with our money.

when you thought trudo's insanity and cockyness toward canadians has hit a ceiling, this f****** a**$ole push the boundaries a little further . trudeau should be booked in a criminal court , it's easy to see this criminal hugger is a real threat to our country.

where is sheer and all the opposition when it,s time to demolish the ridiculousness of the present GVT? sheer is not going to mark any points among the electors with only its permanent reversed rictus he has on its face . he must attack trudo in the medias, everywhere on every fronts.

RangeBob
07-04-2017, 07:18 AM
Justice.
As I see it, this case was looked at by several judges, and with time and reflection it was decided that the manor of getting the confession was incompatable with fundimental justice regardless of the truth of the verdict. And thus for the sake of us all he had to be released, regardless of the crime. "Better that 10 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man go to prison." Even if it was terrorism and murder and spy and ...

After his 2015 release from prison in Alberta, Omar Khadr apologized to the families of the victims.

Injustice
Given that he confessed in 2015, while out of prison and out of undo influence, indeed while living in more comfort than the time he committed the act, it seems odd to give him money for being imprisoned for his crime.

Worse, the current government isn't fighting this. If it's not faught, a judge can not with time and reflection make a decision.

The widow of Speer and another American soldier blinded by the grenade in Afghanistan filed a wrongful death and injury lawsuit against Khadr in 2014 fearing Khadr might get his hands on money from his wrongful imprisonment lawsuit. A U.S. judge granted $134.2 million US in damages in 2015, but the plaintiffs acknowledged then that there was little chance they would collect any of the money from Khadr because he lives in Canada.
wants a fresh start to finish his education and work in health care

Justice
Perhaps, it would be justice for the Canadian Government(s) to
- let him out of prison (done), and
- pay him compensation for time in prison when his conviction was wrong due to technique (done), and
- extradite him to the USA so that all his assets can be captured, and ruin his assertions of becoming a health care professional

Waterloomike
07-04-2017, 07:29 AM
Where's the justice for Canadian vets that were used as landmine detectors, maimed, lost their limbs and killed?

RangeBob
07-04-2017, 07:36 AM
Where's the justice for Canadian vets that were used as landmine detectors, maimed, lost their limbs and killed?

I was thinking of that, and the justice for the American vets who were his victims, when I wrote

Worse, the current government isn't fighting this. If it's not faught, a judge can not with time and reflection make a decision.

Waterloomike
07-04-2017, 07:37 AM
I was thinking of that when I wrote

I always like your posts Bob.

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

killer kane
07-04-2017, 07:47 AM
We should have seen this coming. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some gala event when le royal douche presents the lil terrorist with his check and a photo op. Next up, a bunch of our freedoms in the name of safety. This pompous ass needs turfing next election.

Two For Sure
07-04-2017, 08:05 AM
- extradite him to the USA so that all his assets can be captured, and ruin his assertions of becoming a health care professional
Can't happen. The Extradition Act does not apply to civil cases only criminal ones.

RangeBob
07-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Can't happen. The Extradition Act does not apply to civil cases only criminal ones.

True.

I was speaking of exalted justice, not the legal system.

'Extradition' was the wrong word.
Perhaps some variation. Banishment perhaps.

How about the currently absolutely disused, ability to revoke citizenship of people who have committed terrorist acts, and return them to their previous country ?

IJ22
07-04-2017, 08:19 AM
If this turns out to be true, I've paid my last voluntary tax dollar to this country. I can't help my source deductions at work, but I will buy and work under the table every chance I get. Atlas is shrugging.

Two For Sure
07-04-2017, 08:37 AM
How about the currently absolutely disused, ability to revoke citizenship of people who have committed terrorist acts, and return them to their previous country ?
There is no "previous country." Omar Khadr was born in Toronto.

soulchaser
07-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Can the wife of the medic he killed sue for wrongful death for say, $10.5 million?

soulchaser
07-04-2017, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by RangeBob

No, what's worse is the current government has NEGOTIATED this....

ilikemoose
07-04-2017, 08:58 AM
What would Frank Castle do?

RobertMcC
07-04-2017, 09:01 AM
And I serve my country. Get medically released, lose my job. And get a whopping 26K lump sum pension.

Canada_Phil
07-04-2017, 09:04 AM

Hopefully, he will forever be on a Airline watch/No fly list??

I suppose that would not stop him from flying within Canada??... but hopefully some act of serendipity will put him seated in a plane which is forced to put down in some US juristuction one day (due to emergency or whatever?) where he could be apprehended and held for default on that civil case?? Unpaid parking tickets?... being Butt- F#%* ugly?... who cares!!

One can only hope for little miracles sometimes.

RangeBob
07-04-2017, 09:20 AM
5 years in Canada
10 years in Afghanistan
10 years in USA-ish
then 'repatriated' to Canada.

1986. Omar Khadr was born in Toronto in Sept 1986.
1992. He moved to Afghanistan, age 5
2002. Age 15, he threw a grenade during the firefight that resulted in the death of an American soldier. Transported to Guantanamo Bay 'United States of America' (more than Cuba, less than USA, mostly USA)
2006. Sgt. Layne Morris and Sgt. Speer's widow Tabitha, filed civil suit against Khadr. Since United States law does not allow civil lawsuits against "acts of war", Speer and Morris relied on the argument that Khadr's throwing the grenade was an act of terrorism, rather than war. They won.
2008. Supreme Court Canada ruled unanimously that the government had to disclose all records of interviews conducted by Canadian officials with him
2010. Pleaded guilty, got 8 year sentence
2010. Supreme Court Canada ruled unanimously that Canadian interrogations of Mr. Khadr, in the absence of counsel, after he had suffered three weeks of sleep deprivation while in U.S. custody, “offends the most basic Canadian standards about the treatment of detained youth suspects.”
2011. Despite charging him with throwing only the grenade that killed Sgt. Christopher Speer, allegations include he had killed two members of the Afghan militia force and thrown grenades wounding more. This information provided to Minister of Public Safety Toews.
2012. Repatriated to Canada, maximum security prison. Gets medical care for shoulder.
2014. Moved to medium security prison
2015. Reclassified as a minimum security person
2015. Released because he was a minor. Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin said it was a straightforward matter: A U.S. military commission sentenced Mr. Khadr to eight years in prison for the war crime of murder, and the mandatory adult penalty for murder in Canada is life. Therefore it had to be a juvenile penalty.

Sinbad
07-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Where's a sniper when you need one?

SeirX
07-04-2017, 09:57 AM
A couple things I don't quite understand:

If the US detained him, why did Canada do anything at all to get him released? He was here, then took off to his `homeland`, fought against our troops and our allies, got caught, then our courts go to town trying to get him out? And Now they want to pay him for his time-served?? We shouldn't owe this hominid a thing - if anyone, at all, should owe him anything, it's the U.S. .....and that's probably a few ounces of lead more than the Canadian Government would ever consider.

Our courts should have been shut out right off the bat, IMO - he's a POW being held for information and to serve time for his part in combat.
Canada doesn't often go half those lengths [from what I've seen] when ti comes to dealing with loyal citizens who're being held for ransom, or imprisoned outside of Canada, so why does this guy get special treatment?

He wants to be in health care???
We're supposed to be able to trust healthcare workers.... who would trust someone who has openly [and at an age, able to understand the repercussions of their actions and choices] used violence against Canada and their allies?

Maybe I'm just too simple to understand the nuances of a bleeding-heart[for anyone but natural-born citizens] government, but I believe they should have left him in Guantanamo.

glockfan
07-04-2017, 10:07 AM
so because he's been interviewed '''illegaly ''' in gtb by canadian officials when he was under 18 we have to stretch him a little fortune and flat excuses ?

he pleaded guilty and served a 8 years sentence at the hotel , he even confessed the 3 murders !!

the UN social engineering is driving the world in total chaos and terrorism for decades to comes, and people are cheering their own slayers !!

soulchaser
07-04-2017, 12:51 PM
Well, at least there's one Liberal commentator who thinks Kadhr shouldn't be getting any money or an apology:

ht tp://warrenkinsella.com/2017/07/omar-khadr-and-christopher-speer/

"... Speer had kids; Khadr was a kid. *Speer knew he was on a dangerous mission in which he could die; Khadr said he knew that, too. *What happened to Speer was a tragedy, and a lot of what happened to Khadr was, too.

All that said, I don’t think it is right that Omar Khadr should receive in excess of $10 million from Canada. *I don’t think he should get an apology, either.

He’s alive and free and happy, and the young guy who saved lives isn’t. *I think that should have ended the matter, but apparently others felt otherwise."

Billythreefeathers
07-04-2017, 01:24 PM
Well, at least there's one Liberal commentator who thinks Kadhr shouldn't be getting any money or an apology:

ht tp://warrenkinsella.com/2017/07/omar-khadr-and-christopher-speer/

"... Speer had kids; Khadr was a kid. *Speer knew he was on a dangerous mission in which he could die; Khadr said he knew that, too. *What happened to Speer was a tragedy, and a lot of what happened to Khadr was, too.

All that said, I don’t think it is right that Omar Khadr should receive in excess of $10 million from Canada. *I don’t think he should get an apology, either.

He’s alive and free and happy, and the young guy who saved lives isn’t. *I think that should have ended the matter, but apparently others felt otherwise."

well,that's sure the get WK banned from the Liberal party

shredder
07-04-2017, 01:54 PM
I sincerely hope that Tabitha Speer gets the 10 million (about 7 million in USD). IIRC a civil judgment made in the US is enforceable in Canada - the plaintiff has to go through the provincial court system in the province of residence (in this case Alberta).

RangeBob
07-04-2017, 02:12 PM
I sincerely hope that Tabitha Speer gets the 10 million (about 7 million in USD). IIRC a civil judgment made in the US is enforceable in Canada - the plaintiff has to go through the provincial court system in the province of residence (in this case Alberta).

What are the odds that the Province Of Ontario will pick up the lawyers fees for Khadr's civil defence, arguing that Khadr should keep it all.

firemachine69
07-04-2017, 02:13 PM
What are the odds that the Province Of Ontario will pick up the lawyers fees for Khadr's civil defence, arguing that Khadr should keep it all.

Unlikely, that typically applies only to Family Court, Human Rights zoo, and Criminal court.

SeirX
07-04-2017, 02:33 PM
Unlikely, that typically applies only to Family Court, Human Rights zoo, and Criminal court.

...isn't that part of what this is about? This enemy combatant's `human rights` were violated during some BS `interview`?

TheHydrant
07-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Is it a coincidence that this announced on July 4th?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Doug_M
07-04-2017, 05:26 PM
I sent the article to Breitbart's "tips" line. Hopefully they'll pick up the story, Trump will read it and then send Trudeau a nasty tweet! If he does I'm taking credit!

Forbes/Hutton
07-04-2017, 05:28 PM
10 million for a medic...

what's the Prime Moron worth?

tdod101
07-04-2017, 06:04 PM
US/Canadian relations are deteriorating at a rapid pace. With a hard lefty gen X'er (millennial?) like Trudeau and a hard right post war baby boomer Trump, we have 2 different visions brought to you by two different ideologies from 2 different generations. While both bring something to the table, neither will agree on anything. Hold on to your ass people.

shortandlong
07-04-2017, 06:12 PM
10 million for a medic...

what's the Prime Moron worth?

About a 30 billion plus deficit

RangeBob
07-04-2017, 06:45 PM
from Veterans for the CPC:

1. He was not a child soldier. The international standard that Canada and dozens of nations adhered to at the time clearly defined a child soldier as a person Under the age of 15. Khadr was 15 plus when captured. The age standard was amended in 2002 to under 18 but was not backdated.
2. His confession to killing Sgt Speer and severely wounding another US was not obtained under duress or torture, it came in a deposition taken by his defense lawyer. He stated that he refused to surrender when the offer came and instead after the other women and children left, fired his AK-47 until it was hit by a bullet and damaged. He reported that he was wounded and didn't hear any of the other brothers firing, so he believed he was the only one left alive but because of his wounds he would soon die. He had two grenades left and threw one which didn't work. He threw the second one and it exploded. He said he then passed out and when he awoke he was at a US military facility/hanger and was zap strapped to a stretcher.
3. After watching a fellow SF medic get killed and another get wounded the USSF soldiers still provided him with lifesaving medical aid according to the Geneva convention.
4. As noted above the US Military provided time for non-combatants to surrender, Khadr chose to fight.
5. The RCMP questioning began with a Happy Meal. It was hardly oppressive.
6. Khadr was never exposed to enhanced interrogation.
7. Khadr had a lawyer throughout his legal process and pled guilty by his own choice.
Canada owes this traitorous family nothing. While veterans are in court attempting to get issues resolved, while they are homeless and struggling with PTSD, while they wait months for their pensions, this terrorist cleans up and becomes a millionaire. Chretien was the PM when this began and Trudeau is now completing the payoff.

https://www.facebook.com/vetsfortheCPC/posts/1884100208580279

Petamocto
07-04-2017, 07:08 PM
Speaking as a current serving member who has had several friends killed, I don't even honestly mind that this guy killed an allied soldier.

When you fight you try to kill the other side, period. My grandfather was a WW2 British Royal Marine Commando, and he raised me in stories that as much as he was trying to kill Germans, he at least respected them as foes who fought for what they believed in. He did not have the same respect for Italians and the Dutch, who he viewed as switching allegiances based on who was winning.

So I don't mind that this teenager tried to kill people on my team, and did kill one. Soldiers kill people on the other side, period.

Sometimes we die, and sometimes the other side captures us. However:

THIS DECISION AND COMPENSATION F***ING INFURIATES ME.

We don't owe this guy SFA. Say what you will about being a lawful combatant or not, he got detained after he was captured, full stop. We were involved in combat operations in that area, and he took up arms against us.

What the hell is next? Are we going to send cheques to the family members of every Nazi POW who was captured and detained in WW2?

That's what bothers me, the fact that he is entitled to nothing. I don't hate the guy, and sure set him free at some point once the hostilities are over like any other POW, but we don't owe him a f***ing penny after that.

shortandlong
07-04-2017, 07:26 PM
What it dude you might be viewed as hateful if your still in

Doug_M
07-04-2017, 07:40 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/khadr-compensation-speer-morris-1.4190468

Widow, injured soldier's court filing seeks money federal government is expected to give Khadr

Lawyer says they anticipated Khadr would get compensation for his 'wrongful internment Guantanamo'

A lawyer working on behalf of U.S. sergeant Layne Morris, retired, pictured here, and the widow of special forces medic, U.S. Sgt. First Class Christopher Speer, said he will fight to ensure that any compensation given to Omar Khadr by the Canadian government goes to Morris and Speer's family.

The lawyer for the widow of a U.S. soldier killed in Afghanistan said Tuesday they have filed an application so that any money paid by the Canadian government to the former Guantanamo Bay prisoner will go toward the widow and another U.S. soldier injured.

Lawyer Don Winder made the comments as a decision by the Canadian government to apologize and give millions of dollars to Omar Khadr came under mounting criticism.

An official familiar with the deal said Khadr will receive $10.5 million. The official was not authorized to discuss the deal publicly before the announcement and spoke on condition of anonymity. The government and Khadr's lawyers negotiated the deal last month.

Ottawa to pay $10.5M to Omar Khadr, government source says
Why will Khadr receive $10.5M? Because his rights were violated
Khadr lawsuit settlement riles some conservatives in Alberta
The Canadian-born Khadr was 15 when he was captured by U.S. troops following a firefight at a suspected al-Qaida compound in Afghanistan that resulted in the death of a U.S. special forces medic, Sgt. First Class Christopher Speer and the injury of Sgt. Layne Morris, who lost an eye.

Khadr, who was suspected of throwing the grenade that killed Speer, was taken to Guantanamo and ultimately charged with war crimes by a military commission.

He pleaded guilty in 2010 to charges that included murder and was sentenced to eight years plus the time he had already spent in custody. He returned to Canada two years later to serve the remainder of his sentence and was released in May 2015 pending an appeal of his guilty plea, which he said was made under duress.

The widow of Speer and Morris filed a wrongful death and injury lawsuit against Khadr in 2014 fearing he might get his hands on money from his $20 million wrongful imprisonment lawsuit. A U.S. judge granted $134.2 million in damages in 2015.

'Oppressive circumstances'

Winder, a Salt Lake City-based attorney for Speer and Morris, said they filed an application a few weeks ago in Canada to make that judgement enforceable in Canada. It has yet to be heard.

"We will be proceeding with that application and trying to make sure that if he gets money it goes to the widow of Sgt. Speer and Layne Morris for the loss of an eye," Winder told The Associated Press.

Winder said they thought it was likely there might be some payment "for his wrongful internment in Guantanamo."

Khadr's lawyers filed a $20 million wrongful imprisonment lawsuit against the Canadian government, arguing the government violated international law by not protecting its own citizen and conspired with the U.S. in its abuse of Khadr. Khadr spent 10 years in Guantanamo Bay. His case received international attention after some dubbed him a child soldier.

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in 2010 that Canadian intelligence officials obtained evidence from Khadr under "oppressive circumstances," such as sleep deprivation, during interrogations at Guantanamo Bay in 2003, and then shared that evidence with U.S officials.

Opposing views on compensation

Khadr was the youngest and last Western detainee held at the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The news of the government giving millions to someone who pleaded guilty to killing a U.S. soldier has not gone over well among conservatives in Canada.

"Odious. Confessed terrorist who assembled & planted the same kind of IEDs (improvised explosive devices) that killed 97 Canadians to be given $10-million," former Conservative cabinet minister Jason Kenney tweeted adding that Khadr should be in prison paying for his crimes, not profiting from them at the expense of Canadian taxpayers.

Conservative MP Tony Clement urged Khadr to give any settlement money to the widow and children of the U.S. soldier he was accused of killing in Afghanistan. The Canadian Taxpayers Federation started an online petition aimed at Trudeau, deploring the deal.

But former Liberal MP Bob Rae tweeted that compensation was "long overdue."

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau declined to confirm the apology and money when asked about in Ireland on Tuesday but didn't deny it. "There is a judicial process underway that has been underway for a number of years now and we are anticipating, like I think a number of people are, that that judicial process is coming to its conclusion," Trudeau said.

Scott Bardsley, a spokesman for Canada's public safety minister, also confirmed there is an ongoing court process in the case.

"Settlement processes are always strictly confidential by nature. Accordingly, the government is not in a position to provide any comment one way or another," Bardsley said in an email.

Khadr's lawyers have long said he was pushed into war by his father, Ahmed Said Khadr, whose family stayed with Osama bin Laden briefly when Omar Khadr was a boy. Khadr's Egyptian-born father was killed in 2003 when a Pakistani military helicopter shelled the house where he was staying with senior al-Qaida operatives.

After his 2015 release from prison in Alberta, Omar Khadr apologized to the families of the victims. He said he rejects violent jihad and wants a fresh start to finish his education and work in health care. He currently resides in an apartment in Edmonton, Alberta.

BgBlkDg
07-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Speaking as a current serving member who has had several friends killed, I don't even honestly mind that this guy killed an allied soldier.

When you fight you try to kill the other side, period. My grandfather was a WW2 British Royal Marine Commando, and he raised me in stories that as much as he was trying to kill Germans, he at least respected them as foes who fought for what they believed in. He did not have the same respect for Italians and the Dutch, who he viewed as switching allegiances based on who was winning.

So I don't mind that this teenager tried to kill people on my team, and did kill one. Soldiers kill people on the other side, period.

Sometimes we die, and sometimes the other side captures us. However:

THIS DECISION AND COMPENSATION F***ING INFURIATES ME.

We don't owe this guy SFA. Say what you will about being a lawful combatant or not, he got detained after he was captured, full stop. We were involved in combat operations in that area, and he took up arms against us.

What the hell is next? Are we going to send cheques to the family members of every Nazi POW who was captured and detained in WW2?

That's what bothers me, the fact that he is entitled to nothing. I don't hate the guy, and sure set him free at some point once the hostilities are over like any other POW, but we don't owe him a f***ing penny after that.

When WW2 broke out, two of my mother's brothers volunteered, the third was only 7.

My dad was too old, until the standards were changed, his two youngest brothers volunteered and he and his next brother volunteered for "Active Overseas Service" forthwith. although they supported families and were past 40.

After, the war, we had many German neighbours and friends, some German vets, many Italian neighbours and friends, some vets and a number of Dutch veterans, who fought very bravely with the Brits and Yanks and we all got along just fine.

I have NEVER heard of any Dutch persons changing sides, in fact, I knew many Canadian vets, very close friends and inlaws, who fought in The Netherlands, and had great respect for the Dutch.

So, while I know the facts concerning the Italians, in both wars, I would be very interested in facts about the Dutch. I have known some VERY tough Dutchmen, working in the BC bush, "tie hacking" and splitting posts by hand and this is MAN'S work as anyone who has ever done it will attest.

That said, the best infantry in WW2 were the Canadians and the German Luftwaffe paras. The Kiwis, were right up there and the Aussies and Waffen-SS guys were VERY tough. This, is based on decades of discussions with vets of all of these forces.

awndray
07-04-2017, 08:49 PM
My phone is giving me a hard time. I can't copy the text of this article. The widow successfully sued for $134M but it was never enforced. This is laefely because he had no assets. Now that he's going to get his own settlement, she can go after it.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/widow-of-medic-could-go-after-omar-khadrs-10-5-settlement-harper-legal-advisor

RangeBob
07-04-2017, 08:52 PM
CPC Omar Khadr Petition Link
Meet Canada’s newest multi-millionaire – Omar Khadr
Tell Justin Trudeau - no multi-million dollar payouts to terrorists!
Sign here:
http://www.conservative.ca/cpc/meet-canadas-newest-multi-millionaire-omar-khadr/

RangeBob
07-04-2017, 08:55 PM
from elsewhere

WOW just WOW...
Boggles my mind what the left will do for murderers...That's one way to look at it, another would be to say the compensation rates for left wing and islamist murderers, killers and assassins are much more lucrative than those for their right wing and Christian counterparts.

lone-wolf
07-04-2017, 09:15 PM
I don't know what to think. It's hard to know the full truth. And a 15 year old is still years away from making a rational decision.
I feel that he should just be content with still being alive at this point.

I'm curious how tossing a grenade is a war crime.

Lee Enfield
07-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Do you think Moonbeam thought of announcing this on July 4th by himself or did one of his ilk dream this up?

Forbes/Hutton
07-04-2017, 09:41 PM
I don't know what to think. It's hard to know the full truth. And a 15 year old is still years away from making a rational decision.

Unarmed medics are protected by international laws and conventions.

M1917 Enfield
07-04-2017, 09:51 PM

Especially those who are in the process of treating battlefield wounded, including the enemy injured!

According to the Geneva Convention and International Criminal Court Statute, knowingly firing at or attacking a red cross wearing medic is a war crime. In modern times, most combat medics carry a personal weapon, to be used to protect themselves and the wounded or sick in their care. When and if they use their arms offensively, they then sacrifice their protection under the Geneva Conventions.

soulchaser
07-04-2017, 10:21 PM

Don't medics carry a pistol for defence of themselves and those in their care?

EDIT: Should have kept reading.

Swingerguy
07-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Makes my stomach ache. This is just wrong.

RangeBob
07-04-2017, 10:50 PM
https://s15.postimg.org/8fu48s8h7/IMG_6468.jpg

Doug_M
07-05-2017, 04:55 AM

And it was after the battle was over.

soulchaser
07-05-2017, 08:10 AM

Targeting medics is a war crime.

lone-wolf
07-05-2017, 08:30 AM
You got to see the sad hypocrisy of the death of a single medic being a war crime, while both the US and Russia have bombed hospitals.

Westicle
07-05-2017, 08:55 AM

he already is a "health care professional" , the alberta college of paramedics issued him an emr license in 2016..... it disgusts me that he is associated with my former occupation.

kennymo
07-05-2017, 09:46 AM
You got to see the sad hypocrisy of the death of a single medic being a war crime, while both the US and Russia have bombed hospitals.

I can agree with this.... But I still think after leaving the country to take up arms against us or our allies, you shouldn't be allowed back in. Never mind being given 10 mill for it....

hawk-i
07-05-2017, 09:59 AM
If you take up arms against ones own government, is that not treason?

lone-wolf
07-05-2017, 10:02 AM
I can agree with this.... But I still think after leaving the country to take up arms against us or our allies, you shouldn't be allowed back in. Never mind being given 10 mill for it....

Yea, don't confuse my seeing the hypocrisy with any kind of sympathy. Whoever detained him without just putting a bullet in him, is a better man than I.

Petamocto
07-05-2017, 10:20 AM
...I have NEVER heard of any Dutch persons changing sides, in fact, I knew many Canadian vets, very close friends and inlaws, who fought in The Netherlands, and had great respect for the Dutch.

The nature of my grandfather's stories about the Dutch had to do with his perception that they were not as put out as they would have you believe. Yes they were occupied, but not to the point where they were made to live like slaves, and according to him, women were more than willing to get with the "occupying" Germans.

He would get the most upset about this when the annual Dutch liberation parades would happen, and everyone would act so happy that Canada freed them from the Germans, because he said the narrative had completely changed over time.

All of this is second hand, of course, and he has been dead for 20 years.

Magi
07-05-2017, 01:01 PM
If there is any justice maybe he will not see the money:

Widow goes after US$8m that Canada will give ex-Guantanamo prisoner who killed her husband.

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/2101342/widow-goes-after-us8m-canada-will-give-ex-guantanamo

RobertMcC
07-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Also here is something. All we get when we get released is a certificate from the CDS. No prime minister thanks us for our service.

awndray
07-05-2017, 02:16 PM
https://scontent.fymy1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19642675_10155440791373904_3119996267841084390_n.j pg?oh=2706f0593dc0feac0f533bc2b037173f&oe=59C9A6BC

https://scontent.fymy1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19702157_10209663494810161_5335980869901043623_n.j pg?oh=d197d20e583c0429e4b8e9e826d36c89&oe=5A024134

Lee Enfield
07-05-2017, 02:58 PM
If you take up arms against ones own government, is that not treason?

Not in the eyes of a LIEberal!

Plinker 777
07-05-2017, 03:04 PM
The nature of my grandfather's stories about the Dutch had to do with his perception that they were not as put out as they would have you believe. Yes they were occupied, but not to the point where they were made to live like slaves, and according to him, women were more than willing to get with the "occupying" Germans.

He would get the most upset about this when the annual Dutch liberation parades would happen, and everyone would act so happy that Canada freed them from the Germans, because he said the narrative had completely changed over time.

All of this is second hand, of course, and he has been dead for 20 years.

Not as second hand as you would think. Dutch and French collaboration during German occupation is well documented. Another interesting dynamic is Jews who survived the camps have been quoted as stating that they hold zero animosity toward those who "turned them in" to the German authority given the circumstances of the time. Some have actually taken the position that if the shoe were on the other foot, they couldn't honestly say they wouldn't have done the same.
When the allies cleared the Netherlands then finally France of the German occupying forces, those who were known collaborators either left with the German retreat, or risked the common public beatings (and looting of property )on the street that often occurred.

Warning...educational nudity...

https://youtu.be/tbmIaRb29gs These are French, but Dutch collaborators were treated same and similar.

Plinker 777
07-05-2017, 03:21 PM
https://scontent.fymy1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19642675_10155440791373904_3119996267841084390_n.j pg?oh=2706f0593dc0feac0f533bc2b037173f&oe=59C9A6BC

https://scontent.fymy1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19702157_10209663494810161_5335980869901043623_n.j pg?oh=d197d20e583c0429e4b8e9e826d36c89&oe=5A024134

No, no, no...I can appreciate that the cartoon seems accurate but nothing is actually further from the truth. Your blame lies on George Bush's shoulders.

When the U.S.A. veered away from the rule of law (Geneva Convention) and by Bush's fiat, imprisoned all non-Afghan combatants and imprisoned them at Guantanamo bay, not as prisoners of war (see Convention), but as criminals; it was the U.S. who broke the law (So saith their own Courts).
When Canada became aware that (like it or not) one of it's citizens are being detained under these circumstances and did little to nothing (Thanks Steveo), Canada then broke the law as well through its condonation.

Know that Khadr had a $20,000,000 law suit against Canada and settled on the precedent of $10,000,000.

The sick part of all this is, what is the return on investment for breaking our own laws? Did the intelligence community gain all the 'ah ha moments' when engaging in torture? I haven't heard if they did?(read: I doubt it) And any 'confession' can't be used against them due to the extraction method...read: thrown out of court...they can't try them militarily either because they weren't considered POW's...so, what we're left with is a metric tonne of dumb. And an open door for civil suits replete with precedent! So, double dumb.
Thanks George, thanks Stevo, great job! (idiots).
In the event Trudeau and Trump are listening...take a note from the mistakes of your predecessors and don't duplicate them. We are a society with the rule of law. Follow the law always, for it is the least painful of ways for all concerned.

Swingerguy
07-05-2017, 03:39 PM
In the event Trudeau and Trump are listening...take a note from the mistakes of your predecessors and don't duplicate them. We are a society with the rule of law. Follow the law always, for it is the least painful of ways for all concerned.

Yes! Take note... Finish the job in the field.

firemachine69
07-05-2017, 03:59 PM
No, no, no...I can appreciate that the cartoon seems accurate but nothing is actually further from the truth. Your blame lies on George Bush's shoulders.

When the U.S.A. veered away from the rule of law (Geneva Convention) and by Bush's fiat, imprisoned all non-Afghan combatants and imprisoned them at Guantanamo bay, not as prisoners of war (see Convention), but as criminals; it was the U.S. who broke the law (So saith their own Courts).
When Canada became aware that (like it or not) one of it's citizens are being detained under these circumstances and did little to nothing (Thanks Steveo), Canada then broke the law as well through its condonation.

Know that Khadr had a $20,000,000 law suit against Canada and settled on the precedent of $10,000,000.

The sick part of all this is, what is the return on investment for breaking our own laws? Did the intelligence community gain all the 'ah ha moments' when engaging in torture? I haven't heard if they did?(read: I doubt it) And any 'confession' can't be used against them due to the extraction method...read: thrown out of court...they can't try them militarily either because they weren't considered POW's...so, what we're left with is a metric tonne of dumb. And an open door for civil suits replete with precedent! So, double dumb.
Thanks George, thanks Stevo, great job! (idiots).

So thank you for confirming the solution is to glass those countries.

lone-wolf
07-05-2017, 04:00 PM
It seems Khadr was in Guantanamo while Chretien, Martin, and Harper were prime minister.
And when the supreme court said canada acted 'illegally' it was back when Chretien/Martin were in power.

For a counterpoint — and for a hint that a settlement was perhaps inevitable — one can turn to the Supreme Court's unanimous ruling on Jan. 29, 2010, that found Khadr's human rights were being violated at Guantanamo Bay.

In that case, the court dealt with the visit of CSIS and Foreign Affairs officials to the prison in 2003 and 2004, under the previous Liberal government.

awndray
07-05-2017, 04:02 PM
When Canada became aware that (like it or not) one of it's citizens are being detained under these circumstances and did little to nothing, Canada then broke the law as well through its condonation.

So, Canada is on the hook for something the US did? Tell me. If I go to the US, break the law and am sent to jail, how is it that Canada should get me out of there?

Waterloomike
07-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Doesn't Canada have laws against taking up arms against allies?

I know there are laws against aiding and abetting armed enemies.

edit:

Now they're stopping and arresting people trying to travel to join terrorist gangs from Canada. So unless that's new legislation, khadr was most likely breaking laws.

IIRC his wife was among that pond scum.

Waterloomike
07-05-2017, 04:11 PM

If they would have shot him in the field, it wouldn't even be a blip.

With the exception that a Canadian had taken up arms against the US in aiding and abetting a terrorist with a small army and a terrorist supporting nation.

soulchaser
07-05-2017, 05:19 PM
It seems Khadr was in Guantanamo while Chretien, Martin, and Harper were prime minister.
And when the supreme court said canada acted 'illegally' it was back when Chretien/Martin were in power.

Correct.

Chretien was PM when he was sent to Gitmo

Martin was PM when he was allegedly "tortured" and his rights were allegedly "violated"

Harper tried to keep him from coming back and make him serve his entire sentence at Gitmo.

tigrr
07-05-2017, 05:50 PM
You guys aren't seeing the whole picture. Turdo phoned him the night before and said will give you this much and you slip me 3 million back OK. Done deal.

ilikemoose
07-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Ghetto Lottery on a national scale.

Plinker 777
07-05-2017, 08:59 PM

There's always that. I concede the point.

Plinker 777
07-05-2017, 09:13 PM
So, Canada is on the hook for something the US did? Tell me. If I go to the US, break the law and am sent to jail, how is it that Canada should get me out of there?

When the United States refused to acknowledge 'prisoners of war' and all of the protections that go with that category, they broke the law...our law. When the Canadian Government (I'll concede it may have been Chretien) knew a Canadian citizen is not having his Human Rights recognized, completely ignoring the precepts of habeas corpus, and is likely being tortured (psychologically or otherwise), the country is obligated to advocate for and secure your release.

Carguy2550
07-05-2017, 10:37 PM
The only person who did better today was Conor McDavid, 8 year/100 million contract with the Oilers.

Plinker 777
07-05-2017, 10:42 PM
The only person who did better today was Conor McDavid, 8 year/100 million contract with the Oilers.

Probably just as innocent of killing Delta Team members. ;D

awndray
07-06-2017, 03:55 AM
Not really. He has to work for it.

firemachine69
07-06-2017, 03:57 AM
When the United States refused to acknowledge 'prisoners of war' and all of the protections that go with that category, they broke the law...our law. When the Canadian Government (I'll concede it may have been Chretien) knew a Canadian citizen is not having his Human Rights recognized, completely ignoring the precepts of habeas corpus, and is likely being tortured (psychologically or otherwise), the country is obligated to advocate for and secure your release.

Prisoners of war require uniformed soldiers. No uniform = same as good old spies = legit to shoot on sight. That's where they went wrong.

3MTA3
07-06-2017, 06:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvlxpdwojnQ..,

Billythreefeathers
07-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Khadr lawyer upset by settlement reports

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/khadr-lawyer-upset-by-settlement-reports-1.3490230

OTTAWA -- A lawyer for Omar Khadr says he's upset and disappointed somebody went public with the details of their mediation with the federal government.
John Phillips wouldn't confirm any of the details of the mediation talks or the details of the reported $10.5 million settlement offer, but said it wasn't anyone from Khadr's team who spoke to the media about it.
"I'm upset," he said in a brief interview with CTV's Kevin Gallagher.

"It's inappropriate that the information was leaked to the press."

Khadr is suing the federal government for $20 million following his nearly 10-year detention in Guantanamo Bay. He first launched the suit in 2004. Publicly available records show Khadr's team and federal government lawyers met in Ottawa a few weeks ago for mediation.
"I'm disappointed that any discussions about the mediation process regarding Mr. Khadr have been discussed outside of a confidential setting," Phillips said.

Khadr was convicted of several terror offences in an American military court after pleading guilty to throwing a grenade that killed Sgt. Christopher Speer during a firefight in Afghanistan. He was 15 at the time.

Advocates say Khadr was a child soldier and should have been treated as one.
The military court sentenced him to eight years plus time served. He was eventually transferred into Canadian custody and is out on bail pending an appeal of his guilty verdict. Khadr says his confession was made under duress.

The Supreme Court of Canada found Canadian government officials complicit in Khadr's mistreatment in Guantanamo.

Speer's widow won a U.S. court ruling against Khadr, awarding her US $134.2 million in 2015.
She's since filed an application for an injunction so any money awarded to Khadr will go to her and Sgt. Layne Morris, who was blinded by the same grenade. She's also asking the court to make the U.S. court's award enforceable in Canada.

Phillips wouldn't comment on the application for an injunction.
Don Winder, a lawyer for Tabitha Speer, declined to comment on the application or the reported settlement.

Billythreefeathers
07-06-2017, 09:04 AM
liberals prefer brown paper bags,, scum

wanted to keep it secret so Mrs Speers wound not find out about the payment until after the fact and have no chance to file a court action

hawk-i
07-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Canadians should make a point to spread the word to boycott John Phillips.

Reeferman
07-06-2017, 09:18 AM
I want to puke everytime I hear that piece of crap lawyer speak. It's inappropriate that information leaked he said but he had no issue with things being leaked that was and not true about poor little Omar when he was in custody.

Mark-II
07-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Tough titty, quoth the kitty.

"open and transparent" was a promise. Pity that whistleblowers have to keep it for the government.

Drache
07-06-2017, 09:50 AM
I hear the the soldier's widow wants to sue Khadr over the death of her husband.

Lee Enfield
07-06-2017, 10:12 AM
I hear the the soldier's widow wants to sue Khadr over the death of her husband.

She already won 134 million US in her suit and hopefully now gets to take this POS to court and take all this money. For sure this will tie up the money for some time as her US lawyers are filing to stop him from getting it. Hope they win and hope everyone who help him get this money go broke.

Weekend Gunslingers
07-06-2017, 10:22 AM
He will be more upset when he finds out about this petition on Cheryl Gallant's web page:

http://cherylgallant.com/omar/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Omar%20Khadr&utm_co ntent=Omar%20Khadr+CID_1f353b1810598b11783b3cba7c3 cce34&utm_source=MP%20Host%20Email%20marketing%20s oftware&utm_term=STOP%20PAYMENT%20HERE

Lt Survival
07-06-2017, 10:24 AM
If it can be found in the archive of radio canada their is a clip where we see is. Mom tired of hearing the younger brother saying that He was looking forward to his 72 virgins. Unfortunately for the younger bro he had lost his leg in Afghanistan. All that on nationnal TV and no one pick on that. What a great addition to our nationnal treasure. Now those 10.5 m$ are going to serve what? Bribe so we don't get blown up here in Canada. Pathtique

sltoronto
07-06-2017, 10:24 AM
She already won 134 million US in her suit and hopefully now gets to take this POS to court and take all this money. For sure this will tie up the money for some time as her US lawyers are filing to stop him from getting it. Hope they win and hope everyone who help him get this money go broke.

I wish them to succeed in the enforcement of that ruling in Canada .. and to press out of that SOB every single cent he will ever be able to get his hands on ...

3MTA3
07-06-2017, 10:42 AM
He will be more upset when he finds out about this petition on Cheryl Gallant's web page:

http://cherylgallant.com/omar/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Omar%20Khadr&utm_co ntent=Omar%20Khadr+CID_1f353b1810598b11783b3cba7c3 cce34&utm_source=MP%20Host%20Email%20marketing%20s oftware&utm_term=STOP%20PAYMENT%20HERE

Is that a petition or emailing campaign?

Weekend Gunslingers
07-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Is that a petition or emailing campaign?

You're right it looks more like an email campaign.

awndray
07-06-2017, 10:57 AM
She already won 134 million US...

Not quite. She won a judgement for $134M, but it's not enforced. Khadr had/has no assets. With this $10M settlement however, there is hope that the judgement can be enforced so that Speers can some of that settlement.

awndray
07-06-2017, 10:59 AM
As to the upset lawyer, cry me a river! Public funds are paying for this. The world has every right to know every detail.

sltoronto
07-06-2017, 11:04 AM
. Now those 10.5 m$ are going to serve what? Bribe so we don't get blown up here in Canada.

What if they go the opposite way - to finance more Islamists?

I guess it's much more probable ...

awndray
07-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Governments don’t make confessed killers rich without a reason. By failing to provide one, Trudeau leaves himself open to the suspicion that he privately sides with those credulous Khadr sympathizers who accept his most lurid allegations of mistreatment while dismissing the inconvenient facts of his conviction, confession and apparently sincere apology to Sgt. Speer’s widow.
More - http://nationalpost.com/g00/opinion/howard-anglin-trudeau-is-making-omar-khadr-rich-and-he-still-hasnt-told-us-why/

sltoronto
07-06-2017, 11:11 AM
The reason?

May be they want him to be their star candidate for MP or Senator position?

If newly imported "immigrants" are more devoted to Canada than born Canadians as per our Hosiery Selfie HiShe

why not to allege that he being so grateful to Canada for his riches will be a better servant to Canada (or to LPC)? than anybody else ..

CLW .45
07-06-2017, 11:21 AM
While the lawyer is upset about the details being made public, many are upset that his client wasn't executed for treason.

Understanding that might give him a little perspective.

Doug_M
07-06-2017, 11:56 AM
There are a few petitions (some seem just like email harvesting). Saw this one already has 50,000 signatures and is by the Canadian Taxpayers Foundation.

https://www.taxpayer.com/resource-centre/petitions/petition?tpContentId=162

soulchaser
07-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Guess he wanted the cheque cleared and the money in his account before the people ultimately footing the bill, we taxpayers, were made aware of it.

soulchaser
07-06-2017, 12:00 PM

Team Trudeau losing control of the message because of the bureaucracy leaking it less than 2 years into his first term.

That's very bad news for Trudeau.

FALover
07-06-2017, 12:45 PM
Makes one wonder how many clandestine, backdoor deals are made that we never hear about.:vmad

RangeBob
07-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Makes one wonder how many clandestine, backdoor deals are made that we never hear about.

[numeric humor]

Two?

Two clandestine, backdoor deals were made that we never heard about.

Lee Enfield
07-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Not quite. She won a judgement for $134M, but it's not enforced. Khadr had/has no assets. With this $10M settlement however, there is hope that the judgement can be enforced so that Speers can some of that settlement.

I realized that, the point was she did win a judgement for 134 million so Khadr if he ever gets any money his widow can go after it/

Lee Enfield
07-06-2017, 02:24 PM

Team Trudeau losing control of the message because of the bureaucracy leaking it less than 2 years into his first term.

That's very bad news for Trudeau.

I would have to surmise someone within is not very happy with the settlement and couldn't divulge the circumstances fast enough, good for them.

Lee Enfield
07-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Guess he wanted the cheque cleared and the money in his account before the people ultimately footing the bill, we taxpayers, were made aware of it.

I wonder what Canadian bank will want the money? Most Canadian banks have a affiliate in the US and that amount of money is chicken feed and could cause nothing but grief for any Canadian bank.

labradort
07-06-2017, 02:34 PM
I fail to see why Canada is responsible.

If it had not happened in Afghanistan, he would have committed murder as a juvenile. That would have likely netted him the prison time he had in the detention camp for a first time and young person. So that is par. To be pardoned, is beyond par. To be paid for his hardship or whatver, is far beyond reasonable.

SIR VEYOR
07-06-2017, 02:40 PM
I wonder what Canadian bank will want the money? Most Canadian banks have a affiliate in the US and that amount of money is chicken feed and could cause nothing but grief for any Canadian bank.

Credit unions, ATB, many many more have at best interaction in electronic processing agreements. The transactional components of inter country banking aren't affected. Also, most international banks have separate institutions in each country, even if the name is shared a bit.

awndray
07-06-2017, 02:46 PM

The argument is that Canada didn't try to protect him when when CSIS agents in Gitmo learned of the torture, and then shared info with the US.

awndray
07-06-2017, 03:33 PM
There are a few petitions (some seem just like email harvesting). Saw this one already has 50,000 signatures and is by the Canadian Taxpayers Foundation.

https://www.taxpayer.com/resource-centre/petitions/petition?tpContentId=162
http://globalnews.ca/news/3579434/omar-khadr-payout-canadian-taxpayers-federation/

It's now at over 65K signatures.

Sodburner
07-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Unbelievable --- Dude is a self proclaimed terrorist. This is bat shit crazy

Waterloomike
07-06-2017, 04:01 PM

It is,

He kills one unarmed man, blinds another, gets $10.5 mill.

We have to be legally blemish free, get background checked daily and a minor infraction can cost us our guns, our home and the privilege of owning firearms.

That is the definition of insanely stupid.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2-4cAKBiPVg/maxresdefault.jpg

That's the picture.

Lee Enfield
07-06-2017, 04:21 PM
http://globalnews.ca/news/3579434/omar-khadr-payout-canadian-taxpayers-federation/

It's now at over 65K signatures.

I signed about 10 minutes ago when my son told me about it.

Doug_M
07-06-2017, 04:21 PM
15k in a couple hours, not bad!

awndray
07-06-2017, 05:14 PM
Oh boy...a petition FOR Khadr:

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-934

Doug_M
07-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Oh boy...a petition FOR Khadr:

just under 2700 signatures. Will have to keep an eye on that out of morbid curiosity.

Plinker 777
07-06-2017, 06:10 PM

If it had not happened in Afghanistan, he would have committed murder as a juvenile. That would have likely netted him the prison time he had in the detention camp for a first time and young person. So that is par. To be pardoned, is beyond par. To be paid for his hardship or whatver, is far beyond reasonable.

"Soldiers/detainee's" who are taken prisoner are not charged as criminals. https://www.icrc.org/eng/war-and-law/protected-persons/prisoners-war/overview-detainees-protected-persons.htm
Canada and the U.S.A. (as well as other states) signed this Convention. When Canada failed to recognize its obligations, it became liable.

Lee Enfield
07-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Now over 85,000 signatures.

Plinker 777
07-06-2017, 06:22 PM

He isn't.
He confessed to crimes under the threat of torture, he was refused counsel, he was considered a criminal without benefit of a trial, all before his 16th birthday.
As you watch these, understand that the 'Canadian Diplomats' who are interviewing him are in fact CSIS agents who are also interrogating him as they dismiss his complaints of treatment at the hands of the Americans.

https://youtu.be/aQHFFbD_-Pg?t=1

https://youtu.be/yNCyrFV2G_0?t=2

https://youtu.be/hhzSRZfnXTA?t=4

Rory McCanuck
07-06-2017, 07:57 PM
So, is it an acid flashback or something, but wasn't Khadr carrying a shopping bag full of hands?
Or is that another incident.
DuckDuckGo and Google it seems have both been scrubbed of anything relating to it.

Coke
07-06-2017, 08:05 PM
So, is it an acid flashback or something, but wasn't Khadr carrying a shopping bag full of hands?
Or is that another incident.
DuckDuckGo and Google it seems have both been scrubbed of anything relating to it.

I found this

Rory McCanuck
07-06-2017, 08:08 PM
That's the pic I'm thinking of.
Google-Fu is weak today.

That's the piece of shit all the apologists are parading around for their virtue signalling circle-jerk.
Maybe next time he'll hang that shooping bag on one of their doorknobs for them to find.

Plinker 777
07-06-2017, 08:13 PM
That's the pic I'm thinking of.
Google-Fu is weak today.

That's the piece of shit all the apologists are parading around for their virtue signalling circle-jerk.
Maybe next time he'll hang that shooping bag on one of their doorknobs for them to find.

That's not Khadr...feelin' bright yet?

awndray
07-06-2017, 08:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that isn't him.

Waterloomike
07-06-2017, 08:23 PM
That's not Khadr...feelin' bright yet?

The marxist virtue signal, how foul, classless and 2 watt bulb like.

Plinker 777
07-06-2017, 08:37 PM
The marxist virtue signal, how foul, classless and 2 watt bulb like.

? Ah, good Einstein chimes in. Thank you for your enlightened opinion. Please explain in as many grunts as you wish, how my pointing out that a picture attributed to be Omar Khadr is in fact known not to be him as being a) Marxist, b) foul/classless, and I'm left to infer (because as we've already established your control of the language you call mother is weak)...c) dim witted?

boeing299
07-06-2017, 09:01 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/make-no-mistake-canada-doesnt-owe-omar-khadr-an-apology-opinion/ar-BBDU0ZU?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout

awndray
07-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Can we ease up on the baiting? Thanks.

RangeBob
07-06-2017, 09:14 PM
I want to puke everytime I hear that piece of crap lawyer speak. It's inappropriate that information leaked he said but he had no issue with things being leaked that was and not true about poor little Omar when he was in custody.

I was wondering ...

Had the justin-to-lawyer negotiation were kept secret for a few months, the lawyer might have gotten $3 million (guess), before Khadr got the remaining $7 million. Then the USA lady would only get Khadr's $7 million. She'd try to get the lawyer's $3 million as well, but it would be a hugely harder fight.
But if the USA lady manages to get the money garnished at the source, the lawyer might not get anything.
So, "Khadr lawyer upset by settlement reports"

Canada_Phil
07-06-2017, 09:29 PM
WELL IT'S DONE!!

The CBC just reported in the last few minutes that Kadr and his lawyer RECEIVED the money Wednesday evening!

This is disgusting. It appears the Gov. was deliberately attempting to thwart the widows attempts to secure the payment.

hawk-i
07-06-2017, 10:33 PM
How does a non confidence vote work in government?

Plinker 777
07-06-2017, 10:43 PM
Now over 85,000 signatures.

Not that I think for a moment that one of them care...but this is probably the most misdirected petition I've come across in 2017.

This was a mediated settlement to resolve a legal suit for $20,000,000.00 Cnd.

Don't like refugee's? Stop making refugee's?

Don't like paying out mitigating monies to resolve suits? Don't put yourself into a liable situation?

Blaming the current administration for saving tax payers $10,000,000.00 Cnd, is pants on head, ridiculous.

soulchaser
07-06-2017, 10:52 PM
How does a non confidence vote work in government?

When the HOC is sitting, they are on summer break until mid September, the opposition introduce a motion of non confidence.

The House would vote.

The Liberals with their majority would win said vote. I know there are SEVERAL Liberals shall we say, uncomfortable with this deal. But if they are upset enough to consider supporting the vote on non confidence they'd be whipped to vote against the motion. If by some chance the motion was successful, the government would fall, and the GG would dissolve parliament sending the country into an election. Or he/she may ask the Official opposition to take a crack at governing but that is usually only in minority governments or if the last election was very recent.

Financial bills like the budget are automatic matters of confidence.

soulchaser
07-06-2017, 10:59 PM
Blaming the current administration for saving tax payers $10,000,000.00 Cnd, is pants on head, ridiculous.

1) the $20,000,000 was what he was suing the government for. It was not what he was awarded by the courts. It hasn't, and now won't make it to the courts.

2) There was no guarantee the court would have awarded him what he was asking for. Theoretically, the courts could have awarded him some, all, more, or none of the $20,000,000 he was seeking. We'll never know. So your assertion the Liberals have save taxpayers $10,000,000 is unfounded.

3) Plenty of Liberals are upset at this settlement.

4) A lot of people, including lawyer and Liberal schill Warren Kinsella think Khadr won't see a penny of this and it will all go to Speers wife and the other soldier the grenade blast blinded.

TheHydrant
07-06-2017, 11:09 PM
:mad:

Sodburner
07-06-2017, 11:50 PM
Why was he in Afghanistan again???

Doug_M
07-07-2017, 04:44 AM
Interesting take from my new favourite CBC writer (she recently has shown to be far more balanced than the whole of CBC combined).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/omar-khadr-settlement-1.4193516

Opinion | Omar Khadr might be entitled to a settlement, but it's wrong to say he 'deserves' it: Robyn Urback

There are plenty of good reasons why making Khadr a millionaire makes many Canadians deeply uncomfortable
By Robyn Urback, CBC News Posted: Jul 07, 2017 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 07, 2017 5:00 AM ET

How does one look at the case of Omar Khadr — who admitted killing an American soldier, but was also a child; who confessed to war crimes, but was also likely under duress; who built bombs, but was also abandoned by his country while probably being tortured at Guantanamo Bay — and decide that the situation is unambiguous, black and white? That Khadr is either a deranged terrorist or an indoctrinated former child soldier, who either disgraces Canada by receiving a $10.5 million settlement, or redeems it for its failures?

Khadr might indeed be entitled to that money, or some money (the Supreme Court, in its 2008 and 2010 decisions on the government's breach of Khadr's charter rights, never set out any financial compensation, and the Trudeau government has yet to explain how it settled on $10.5 million), but he certainly doesn't "deserve" it in any colloquial sense of the term.

Someone who fought against Canada's allies and left two children fatherless is not worthy of a multimillion-dollar windfall, no matter how atrocious his subsequent treatment. But Canada stupidly abdicated its responsibilities to one of its citizens (like it or not, even accused terrorists have rights), so it is now paying a price.

In a recent CBC column, Jonathan Kay made an empathetic case for Khadr, arguing that at 15 years old, he was basically a pawn controlled by his deranged jihadist father. "Canadian-born Omar was enlisted as an al-Qaeda errand boy when he was still a tween," Kay wrote. "No one reading this can say, with certainty, that his or her life would have turned out different from Omar Khadr's if he or she was raised as he was."

Kay's quite right. Khadr was a child when he threw the grenade that (probably — we don't know for sure) killed Sgt. Christopher Speer; surely that should, to some degree, mitigate the extent to which we hold him responsible. But at the same time, the "I was just following orders" excuse has historically proven to be insufficient to exonerate a person for his or her actions, though the bar is surely lower for teenagers.

This is all to say, when it comes to Khadr, there has not, and will not, be any justice. Awarding him $10.5 million is a tragedy — for the Speer family, for taxpayers, for our collective understanding of what is right and good — but it also would have been a tragedy to keep him locked up for the rest of his life for being a child who failed to resist the violent pressures around him.

This nuance is lost on the Conservatives, however, who are aghast that the government would award millions of dollars to a hardened terrorist, conveniently ignoring the years and many dollars the Harper government spent exacerbating the saga by trying to keep him out of Canada — by using him as a wedge issue and claiming somehow that Khadr had not "suffered any loss or damage as a result of the acts of Canadian officials."

In the National Post, Conservative MP Michelle Rempel went so far as to suggest that Canada should continue to fight Khadr's civil suit — even if it costs millions of dollars — because "it's impossible to say, at this stage, whether the civil suit would have necessarily led to a larger payout."

Though she didn't state it outright, Rempel's implication seemed to be that the symbolism of fighting terrorism is more important than money. And in many cases, she would be right. Except in Khadr's civil suit, Canada would essentially be fighting against a Supreme Court ruling that found it in violation of its own principles of justice, not fighting against terrorism. Canada would be continuing to defend its decision to abdicate its consular responsibilities. That is not worth fighting for.

There are plenty of good reasons why making Khadr a millionaire makes many Canadians deeply uncomfortable. There are also many good reasons why some Canadians see this settlement as long overdue. This is an outcome, but not necessarily a good or bad one. No one is righteous here.

awndray
07-07-2017, 04:59 AM
I understand the words. I understand both sides of the story. But I wish the legal system wasn't set up this way. There is no justice in this case.

Doug_M
07-07-2017, 05:17 AM
I understand the words. I understand both sides of the story. But I wish the legal system wasn't set up this way. There is no justice in this case.

The issue, for Canada, could have been solved with revocation of citizenship long before Khadr threw that grenade. In fact many of these issues could be avoided if Canada refused to allow dual citizenship for all but a few countries (i.e. Common-wealth and USA).

Billythreefeathers
07-07-2017, 05:47 AM
1) the $20,000,000 was what he was suing the government for. It was not what he was awarded by the courts. It hasn't, and now won't make it to the courts.

2) There was no guarantee the court would have awarded him what he was asking for. Theoretically, the courts could have awarded him some, all, more, or none of the $20,000,000 he was seeking. We'll never know. So your assertion the Liberals have save taxpayers $10,000,000 is unfounded.

4) A lot of people, including lawyer and Liberal schill Warren Kinsella think Khadr won't see a penny of this and it will all go to Speers wife and the other soldier the grenade blast blinded.

It's now being reported that the payment has been made

http://globalnews.ca/news/3581350/canadian-government-has-paid-omar-khadr-10-5m-source/

triq
07-07-2017, 05:56 AM

http://globalnews.ca/news/3581350/canadian-government-has-paid-omar-khadr-10-5m-source/
Undoubtedly into his hand for a second, turned to cashable funds and transferred into the underground money transfer system used by terrorists the world over in trust.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

RangeBob
07-07-2017, 06:41 AM
It will be interesting to see where the money ends up, although we probably never will.

The lawyer will take his cut, probably before Khadr's creditors.
If he assumes he's not going to keep any of it, then he might just give it all away to the Muslim Brotherhood.
If he gives it all to the US widow this week, then that'll be a statement that he is indeed 'sorry', an affirmation of his previous 'sorry' statement.
Alternatively he might give the muslim charity amount (or muslim tax, or zakah/zakat) to the Muslim Brotherhood, and try to keep the rest.
The lawyer might turn it over to the underground money transfer system, and have it re-appear in his hands in US cash on his next trip to Iceland -- just because he's on a US no fly list doesn't necessarily mean he will be on a Canadian/Iceland one.
etc

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 06:42 AM

Yeah, I heard it reported on the local news that the government had rushed the payment directly to Khadr specifically to avoid any delay and also prevent payment to the US court ordered civil suit claim against it!

triq
07-07-2017, 06:51 AM
Yeah, I heard it reported on the local news that the government had rushed the payment directly to Khadr specifically to avoid any delay and also prevent payment to the US court ordered civil suit claim against it!
Chez 106.1 I bet.

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 06:54 AM
WELL IT'S DONE!!

The CBC just reported in the last few minutes that Kadr and his lawyer RECEIVED the money Wednesday evening!

This is disgusting. It appears the Gov. was deliberately attempting to thwart the widows attempts to secure the payment.

Yeah, that's how I heard it was being reported too!

Apparently the Lieberals really wanted to make sure he got the money directly so rushed payment to him before anybody could stop the payment with a legal request!

Steveo9mm
07-07-2017, 07:07 AM
it appears that crime does pay

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Here is a picture of the medic, SFC Christopher Speer who Khadr killed -

http://michellemalkin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Screen-Shot-2015-05-08-at-4.35.15-AM-266x300.png

What really pisses me off in all of this is the POS Canadian lawyer (Dennis Edney) from Alberta, who apparently pushed for and first filed a $20 million wrongful imprisonment lawsuit against the Canadian government who had given this git citizenship after he immigrated here from the UK!

He also had called Steven Harper who was PM at the time a bigot! And now spends most of his time attending conferences and on the talk circuit living off his new found notoriety as a defender of terrorists!

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/news/world/2015/05/07/what-omar-khadrs-lawyer-said-mr-harper-is-a-bigot/edney7.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

http://projects.thestar.com/omar-khadr-in-his-own-words/img/khadr-Edney-close-crop.jpg

http://globalnews.ca/video/1985617/omar-khadrs-lawyer-calls-pm-harper-a-bigot

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 07:25 AM
Chez 106.1 I bet.

Actually, it might have been that station as I heard it while driving and that is one of the bunch of stations I often switch between listening to!

awndray
07-07-2017, 07:58 AM
I heard it on 88.5.

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 08:19 AM

This will make it look even worse for Trudeau.

As more media started reporting Speers wife was going to go after the money, the government quietly rushes the payout.

Trudeau bends over backward to help the convicted terrorist.

Terrible optics on a terrible decision.

RangeBob
07-07-2017, 08:23 AM

Spurning an American military widow, probably won't help with negotiations this year or next, in both
- a trade partner we need, and
- a military partner we need

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 08:29 AM
Several sources now saying the reason Trudeau refused to answer questions about this when he was in Ireland Wednesday citing "there is a judicial process underway" was because PMO hand't given him talking points.

Senior government official met in Ottawa quickly after Trudeau's answer to "develop a media strategy".

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Spurning an American military widow, probably won't help with negotiations this year or next, in both
- a trade partner we need, and
- a military partner we need

I have heard that this latest news is not going down well in the USA as it is getting out there!

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 09:02 AM
This will make it look even worse for Trudeau.

As more media started reporting Speers wife was going to go after the money, the government quietly rushes the payout.

Terrible optics on a terrible decision.

I wonder how Canadians here reading about this gutless Lieberal provided $10.5 million taxpayer payout and apology on their behalf feel now!

Does it feel good that the Lieberals are giving this treasonous terrorist traitor a apology on their behalf plus a multi million dollar payout from their hard earned taxes!

RangeBob
07-07-2017, 09:26 AM
PMO hand't given him talking points.

I assume the talking points would be
- It was a miscarriage of justice
- We followed the advice of the Supreme Court Of Canada
- The settlement is the same amount as the case of David Milgaard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overturned_convictions_in_Canada).
- he was a child solder, ruined by his father, who was also abused by U.S. and Canadian authorities.

Citing “an official familiar with the deal,” The Canadian Press reported that Khadr’s legal team and the Canadian government negotiated the deal last month. The Canadian government will also “apologize” to Khadr for unspecified reasons.
-- July 4 2017, http://www.dailywire.com/news/18254/canadian-government-pay-islamic-terrorist-105-robert-kraychik

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 09:39 AM
Statement of apology to Mr. Omar Khadr

OTTAWA, July 7, 2017 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and the Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, issued the following statement:

"Today, we are announcing that the Government of Canada has reached a settlement with Mr. Omar Khadr, bringing this civil case to a close.

On behalf of the Government of Canada, we wish to apologize to Mr. Khadr for any role Canadian officials may have played in relation to his ordeal abroad and any resulting harm.

We hope that this expression, and the negotiated settlement reached with the Government, will assist him in his efforts to begin a new and hopeful chapter in his life with his fellow Canadians.

The details of the settlement are confidential between Mr. Khadr and the Government."

Follow Public Safety Canada (@Safety_Canada) on Twitter.

For more information, please visit the website www.publicsafety.gc.ca.

triq
07-07-2017, 10:16 AM
I don't wish any of this happening to our women and men who serve to protect our country. I can't help but wonder what if he had killed a Canadian soldier / medic instead of an American one. What would have been the theme of the MSM then.

Weekend Gunslingers
07-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Statement of apology to Mr. Omar Khadr

OTTAWA, July 7, 2017 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and the Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, issued the following statement:

"Today, we are announcing that the Government of Canada has reached a settlement with Mr. Omar Khadr, bringing this civil case to a close.

On behalf of the Government of Canada, we wish to apologize to Mr. Khadr for any role Canadian officials may have played in relation to his ordeal abroad and any resulting harm.

We hope that this expression, and the negotiated settlement reached with the Government, will assist him in his efforts to begin a new and hopeful chapter in his life with his fellow Canadians.

The details of the settlement are confidential between Mr. Khadr and the Government."

Follow Public Safety Canada (@Safety_Canada) on Twitter.

For more information, please visit the website www.publicsafety.gc.ca.

https://m.popkey.co/0c34a2/LWYby_f-thumbnail-100-0_s-600x0.jpg

Swingerguy
07-07-2017, 10:39 AM
It upsets me to no end that our own government can claim that "The details of the settlement are confidential between Mr. Khadr and the government", when the settlement is being paid with our own money.
Transparent my a$$.

Weekend Gunslingers
07-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Video from Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/thenational/videos/10154791281202686/

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 10:54 AM
It upsets me to no end that our own government can claim that "The details of the settlement are confidential between Mr. Khadr and the government", when the settlement is being paid with our own money.
Transparent my a$$.

As has been the case for a long time in Canada, once any level of government (especially so with Lieberals and Dippers) gets their grubby little hands on your hard earned money it now magically becomes their money and to be spent or wasted as they see fit!

glockfan
07-07-2017, 10:55 AM
another infamy on the liberals's steaming pile brought to us by the most cocky and insulting liberal GVT ever seen on the hill. if there was a true opposition in the parliament the turd and co. would be much more afraid than they're right now. all the non sens that is happening right now doesn't hit on any solid and voiced resistance !!

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 11:01 AM
Video from Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/thenational/videos/10154791281202686/

You can tell how uncomfortable he feels (Goodale) sprouting this obvious load of BS and blatant lies to us the sheeple that he will not look the camera square on and is constantly flirting his eyes away and keeps looking away while mainly keeping a heads down posture! And the two guys standing behind him look very uncomfortable being there backing him up too!

Look at his head movements in the video, he is a human bobble-head!

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Goodale also claims that they spent $5 million in taxpayers funded legal fees covering Khadr's settlement claim!

labradort
07-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Not only that, but the guy has better teeth than I do. How did he have such hardship in detention and come out with teeth worthy of hosting a prime time afternoon TV show?

This story proves there is too much kool-aid being drunk among politicians about wonderful immigrants, noble and reformable Muslims, and Canada being a land where the refugee or terrorist can become a cabinet minister or multi-millionaire. Not that immigrants can't be wonderful, and refugees shouldn't be cabinet ministers, but my point is the kool-aid! When there is a steady diet of this kool-aid about immigrants, we can stop seeing them for what they are. In reality, there is nothing special about an immigrant - they breathe, eat, can work hard, or not, can be honest, or not, etc. just like the rest of us.

Khadr should get the same justice as any non-famous Canadian in the same situation, not a lottery win. Giving him this money, and seeing the winning smile sends the message there is nothing wrong with what he did, but the end game is all that counts. That is just wrong in the biggest way.

I would not blame Khadr for this outcome. The ones to detest over this story are the politicians who drove this reward to happen.

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 11:50 AM
I assume the talking points would be
- It was a miscarriage of justice
- We followed the advice of the Supreme Court Of Canada
- The settlement is the same amount as the case of David Milgaard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overturned_convictions_in_Canada).
- he was a child solder, ruined by his father, who was also abused by U.S. and Canadian authorities.

Citing “an official familiar with the deal,” The Canadian Press reported that Khadr’s legal team and the Canadian government negotiated the deal last month. The Canadian government will also “apologize” to Khadr for unspecified reasons.
-- July 4 2017, http://www.dailywire.com/news/18254/canadian-government-pay-islamic-terrorist-105-robert-kraychik

Milgard was convicted of a crime he DIDN'T commit.

Khadr threw the grenade and pled guilty

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 11:54 AM
You can tell how uncomfortable he feels (Goodale) sprouting this obvious load of BS and blatant lies to us the sheeple that he will not look the camera square on and is constantly flirting his eyes away and keeps looking away while mainly keeping a heads down posture! And the two guys standing behind him look very uncomfortable being there backing him up too!

Look at his head movements in the video, he is a human bobble-head!

Freeland is the human bobble head. Goodale is the human turtle.

I'll be shocked if Goodale has the balls to run for re-election in 2019.

Weekend Gunslingers
07-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Its amazing how all the liberal comments ( and there is usually 3 or 4 people posting over and over again on other people's comments) are all saying its not JT's fault , its the courts. The courts never mentioned $10Mil. Thatwas a deal made by JT and his cronies outside the courtroom.

Billythreefeathers
07-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Its amazing how all the liberal comments ( and there is usually 3 or 4 people posting over and over again on other people's comments) are all saying its not JT's fault , its the courts. The courts never mentioned $10Mil. Thatwas a deal made by JT and his cronies outside the courtroom.

and the apologist on FB are even worse

never in my live have I been branded as a RASIST, ILSLAMOPOBE,, BIGOT,, until I got on FB

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 11:57 AM

Given the LIBERALS were in power when Khadr was sent to Gitmo and when his rights were allegedly violated, the money should be coming out of the Liberal Party of Canada's pockets.

Doug_M
07-07-2017, 11:59 AM
I would not blame Khadr for this outcome. The ones to detest over this story are the politicians who drove this reward to happen.

And his SJW lawyer (Edney) and his greedy lawyer (Phillips).

Weekend Gunslingers
07-07-2017, 12:02 PM
https://www.facebook.com/CBCPolitics/videos/1725135820848579/

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Just now heard the $10.5 million was handed over yesterday evening as there was a strong possibility that if they took the normal payment process time the US courts would have put a effective hold on it before they could transfer it fully to Khadr and the Lieberals and Khadr's lawyer did not want this to happen.

Also the latest kicker is that it is all tax free!

I expect it has already by now been moved offshore!

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 12:28 PM
BTW, has Omar Khadr denounced publicly terrorism in the name of Islam and Al Qaeda or does he and his family still support them and Islamic terrorism?

I remember reading a news article about him recently and this is what I took from it.

No one asks if Khadr felt making explosives and IED's that were used to kill and maim was a bad thing to do, what he thought about his role in the war, or whether he felt uneasy helping and fighting with what were clearly Islamic Jihadis.

It’s a further disappointment to see that Khadr won’t outright denounce the comments his family made in 2004 following his detention in Guantanamo Bay, when they disparaged Canada and glorified “Jihad.”

“After Sept. 11 we were on the run,” Khadr's mother says, without explaining why exactly that would be the case. Omar also described his father, convicted terrorist Ahmed Said Khadr, as being dedicated to the war in Afghanistan, while whitewashing the family’s ties to terrorism and implying the Khadrs aren’t guilty of any wrongdoing whatsoever as they were fighting for Islam!

awndray
07-07-2017, 12:43 PM
And a lovely family they are: http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?40866-Son-of-Al-Qaeda&p=500592

SeirX
07-07-2017, 12:50 PM
...So.. when does the Canada-wide class-action suit against the Liberal Party - additionally/separately and specifically Notley, Wynne and Trudeau - for misappropriation of funds, general incompetence and treason begin?
[siding with, and supporting, war criminals and known terrorists is still treason, isn't it?]

awndray
07-07-2017, 12:56 PM
It doesn't work that way.

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 01:21 PM
"This settlement and apology help me to restore my reputation a little bit"

No. No they don't.

You're a scumbag terrorist and murderer who should have been left to die in the field in Afghanistan.

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 01:22 PM
And a lovely family they are: http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?40866-Son-of-Al-Qaeda&p=500592

Can we finally kick the rest of his terrorist family off welfare now?

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 01:27 PM
"This nuance is lost on the Conservatives, however, who are aghast that the government would award millions of dollars to a hardened terrorist, conveniently ignoring the years and many dollars the Harper government spent exacerbating the saga by trying to keep him out of Canada — by using him as a wedge issue and claiming somehow that Khadr had not "suffered any loss or damage as a result of the acts of Canadian officials."

Calling massive bulls--t here.

The Supreme Court ruled the issue of repatriation was a matter of foreign relations/policy and as such the Harper government was well within their rights to not bring him back.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/khadr-repatriation-overturned-by-top-court-1.893059

hawk-i
07-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Will there ya go ladies and gentlemen.
Scheer supports what most on this site have been saying. ...IMHO it shows who the liberal trolls are on this forum.

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 01:42 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cabinet-explain-omar-khadr-settlement-1.4194467

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said it was "disgusting" for the government to concoct a "secret deal" and*hand over millions to a convicted terrorist. "This payout is a slap in the face to men and women in uniform who face incredible danger every day to keep us safe."

Scheer said he believes the Harper government's decision to repatriate Khadr in 2012 was a sufficient response to the Supreme Court's ruling that Khadr's rights were violated.*"The fact that [Khadr]*is in Canada today is the remedy, that is the compensation," he said. "I would have refused to agree to this settlement."

Scheer said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is trying to shirk responsibility for the actions of previous Liberal governments by placing the blame on Harper.

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 01:43 PM
More:
"Let's be clear, this whole ordeal started under Liberal governments," he said, noting Canadian officials at Foreign Affairs and CSIS*questioned Khadr at Guantanamo Bay in 2003 and 2004, when former prime minister Paul Martin was in power.

Scheer, speaking to reporters in Calgary ahead of the Stampede, said secretly wiring the money before Speer could make her claim was "not just wrong, but disgusting ... contempt for the widow of a war hero. This shows such a mean-spirited attitude towards the true victims of his whole ordeal," he said, adding Khadr should hand over his settlement to the families of the U.S. servicemembers.

Doug_M
07-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Good for him. I hope he makes it front and center when the House sits again after the summer.

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 01:52 PM
CBC trying pathetically justify this by trying to equate this to the Maher Arar case, which oddly enough also happened when the Liberals were in government.

There is ZERO comparison. Arar did nothing wrong. Khadr admitted his guilt.

killer kane
07-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Not until the treasonous lieb islamofacist sympathisers are kicked out of office.

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 02:38 PM
The shady business of paying Omar Khadr

Khadr deserves to get on with his life, but Ottawa did everything wrong with his $10.5 million payout. This is going to leave a mark.

Terry Glavin

July 7, 2017

Well. That was quick.

Only five days into a national bedlam of opprobrium and sanctimony that began with rumours that Ottawa intended to say sorry and shell out $10.5 million to make amends for ignoring the constitutional rights of the famous Gitmo boy-terrorist Omar Khadr, and all of a sudden, the deal is already done, the cheque’s already been cut, and Khadr’s already cashed it.

Public Safety Minister Minister Ralph Goodale expended a great deal of effort on Friday to the purpose of appearing righteous and proper, and went so far as to lay blame on the former Conservative government of Stephen Harper: “The Harper government could have repatriated Mr. Khadr or otherwise resolved the matter,” Goodale said. “They didn’t.”

That is going to leave a mark. But not on the Conservatives.

The misdeeds Goodale was insisting we should all atone for—the specific trespasses upon Khadr’s constitutional rights that Goodale cited to justify the government’s sudden sorry-saying and cash payout—were committed in 2002 and 2003, before Harper’s government was in power. At the time, Goodale himself was a member of Paul Martin’s Liberal cabinet.

If the intention of the deal was as Goodale said—to cut Canada’s losses in the $20 million civil litigation Khadr’s lawyers initiated in 2004, and help Khadr escape his notoriety and get on with his life at last, which he does deserve—this is not how it’s done.

In his lawsuit, Khadr contended that Canada conspired with the American military 14 years ago by allowing Canadian intelligence officials to elicit statements from him about the terrorism charges he was facing at Guantanamo Bay, without allowing him any access to a lawyer. Canada effectively collaborated with U.S. military authorities in Khadr’s brutal mistreatment. In sum, he was abused in a way that “offends the most basic Canadian standards about the treatment of detained youth suspects,”as the Supreme Court of Canada described it, in a 2010 decision.

A loss-cutting settlement might make eminent sense, but the whirlwind was allowed to clatter along all week without so much as a proper media briefing, an official statement, a formal explanation or even a single honest and candid answer—not even when the question was put directly to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during a press conference in Ireland. Absurdly, neither the payout amount nor the wording of the apology were mentioned Friday, owing to the deal’s confidentiality provisos.

Donald Trump’s White House had been “pre-informed” about the settlement, but all week Canadians have been obliged to rely on assumptions, unnamed sources and conjecture, drawing from all the usual reservoirs of prejudice and partisan bias in speculation about the political considerations that went into the deal and the political embarrassments it was intended to avoid.

After 13 years, suddenly a deal is cut, only three weeks after a faint-hope U.S. Anti-Terrorism Act injunction application to block any payout to Khadr was filed in Ontario Superior Court on behalf of Tabitha Speer, the widow of Delta Force Sergeant Christopher Speer, who was killed in Afghanistan in 2002 by a hand grenade that Khadr may or may not have thrown.

Khadr was only 15 when he was taken into custody after being horribly wounded in a Taliban firefight with U.S. Special Forces. He pleaded guilty to the charge of murdering Speer, then later claimed he’d copped a plea only to get transferred to a Canadian prison, and has since claimed he does not trust his own memory of throwing the grenade. Now 30, Khadr was released on bail two years ago, pending his appeal of his several dubious military-court convictions in Guantanamo, and lives in Edmonton.

Tabitha Speer and Layne Morris, a since-retired U.S. Special Forces officer wounded in the 2002 firefight when Khadr was captured, were seeking to block any federal payout to Khadr. They were relying on the strength of a 2006 Utah District Court default award of $134 million for Sergeant’s Speer’s wrongful death and Morris’ loss of the sight in his right eye.

On Friday, lawyers acting for Speer and Morris were in Ontario Superior Court seeking a date for an “urgent” hearing. The whole effort looks moot now, but lawyer David Winer told reporters he may seek an interim preservation order, which would have the effect of freezing Khadr’s assets.

The strange rush to settle has left the Trudeau government facing the prospect of having to explain why Omar Khadr deserves justice, but the widow of an American soldier who died in a battle when Omar Khadr was a fighter on the other side, does not.

It is also worse than awkward that we’ve all been left to surmise that the Khadr deal takes its precedent from the 2007 settlement in the quite dissimilar case of Maher Arar.

Arar was awarded $10 million and a fulsome apology in 2007 after a judicial inquiry determined that misleading information from the RCMP may have played a part in a decision by American authorities to trundle Arar off to Bashar al-Assad’s torture dungeons in Syria. The inquiry concluded that Arar was in no way linked to terrorism.

At the time, Prime Minister Stephen Harper described the Arar affair as “a tremendous injustice.” The apology to Arar came by way of a both an official government statement and a unanimous House of Commons resolution.

In contrast, Omar Khadr was raised in an infamous Egyptian-Palestinian “al Qaeda family” whose many members spent years in Osama bin Laden’s inner circle in Taliban-held regions of Afghanistan and in Pakistan’s jihadist badlands. Omar’s teenage skill set included proficiency in the assembly of sophisticated improvised explosive devices.

An all-party apology would seem unlikely in Khadr’s case, especially in the way developments have unfolded this week. Opposition leader Andrew Scheer’s Conservatives are not in a very forgiving or apologetic mood. Not every MP in the Liberal caucus is happy about the way this has come together, either.

This is not the sort of thing that just blows over and fades away.

http://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-shady-business-of-paying-omar-khadr/

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 02:40 PM
From Liberal rag MacLean's no less.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to feel had this made it to the courts, some very embarrassing/damaging information about the Liberals would have come to light in testimony and they decided to buy Kadhr's silence.

Weekend Gunslingers
07-07-2017, 02:46 PM

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to feel had this made it to the courts, some very embarrassing/damaging information about the Liberals would have come to light in testimony and they decided to buy Kadhr's silence.

You may be on to something.

Billythreefeathers
07-07-2017, 03:15 PM

same reason Crenten shut down the Somalia inquiry,, some very embracing information about the political meddling by the liberals

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 04:13 PM

Mediation is about mitigation on both ends. There is a potential that the suit would have been awarded ($20,000,000.00). There is a potential that the courts would have dismissed the case (negative -$).
The Government were not about to risk having the courts deliberate on the damages that ought to be awarded to a citizen who the state allowed to be tortured, and Khadr's legal team was not 100% confident that the court would award in their favour either. Both parties made concessions from their positions to resolve the matter. Lets please also not forget that there has been a legal precedent set here that the parties seem to acknowledge. Maher Arar (read it, the connection to Khadr is interesting, the way the governments act is interesting.)

The precedent. The courts are sending a message to the government. "You cannot select which citizen has rights and which does not." This is a wise message imho.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maher_Arar

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Mehar Arar was tortured.

By all accounts the worst that happened to Khadr was sleep deprevation.

awndray
07-07-2017, 04:21 PM

By all accounts made public. It shiuld be obvious to everyone hy now rhat the settlement is a result of details that are not made public.

awndray
07-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Khadr admitted his guilt.

There's a difference between admition and plea bargain.

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 04:48 PM
There's a difference between admition and plea bargain.

Not really.

Personally, I would never plead guilty to something I didn't do.

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 04:50 PM
By all accounts made public. It shiuld be obvious to everyone hy now rhat the settlement is a result of details that are not made public.

Or did the Liberals rush to settle to prevent damaging/embarrassing information about them from becoming public.

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Milgard was convicted of a crime he DIDN'T commit.

Khadr threw the grenade and pled guilty

This is the Grenade that Khadr is accused of throwing, and the same that he has pled guilty to throwing that killed the Delta member medic and wounding another. Note the fragmentation effect on the weapon (large chunks/plates of shrapnel)
http://www.hadtortenet.hu/sites/default/files/f-1c.jpgv_.jpg

This is the Grenade that Delta members were throwing when they took casualties from what they say was a Russian grenade thrown by Khadr. Note the fragmentation effect of the American M67 (much, much smaller. The inside texture you see is fragmented into multitudes of very small projectiles)
http://www.big-ordnance.com/grenades/Gren4/CutawayM67.jpg

Now, a picture of the surviving Delta member...you tell me what you think hit him? A 300 grain panel from the Russian or a several 8 grain pieces from the M67?(I'm estimating the weights of projectiles)
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/WORLD/americas/02/09/gitmo.omar.khadr/art.laynemorris.jpg

The US Troops accidentally fragged their own medic and wounded another when they were throwing hand grenades about on finding movement in the bombed out compound...the 15 yr old (what was expected to be mortally wounded) Khadr was a convenient scapegoat for their own f**k up.
http://projects.thestar.com/omar-khadr-in-his-own-words/img/Khadr-Battlefield.jpg

Forbes/Hutton
07-07-2017, 04:55 PM
The Lieberal new drunk driving law with the groundless breathalyzer test on demand won't hold up (despite their lies that it will) to a charter challenge. 20 million drivers in the country, give or take, at 10.5 million dollars each = 200,000,000,000,000. Now that'll be a deficit to make a lieberal proud.

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 04:56 PM
and the apologist on FB are even worse

never in my live have I been branded as a RASIST, ILSLAMOPOBE,, BIGOT,, until I got on FB

:popcorn:

Forbes/Hutton
07-07-2017, 05:03 PM

A leader with balls would have passed a law barring any payment to him or any of his family, including welfare, stripping the whole family of citizenship and ordering their immediate deportation. Wait for the courts to rush to defend the war criminal's rights and drop the "not withstanding" hammer. Bye Bye!

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Mehar Arar was tortured.

So, now we're going to argue a spectrum of torture? You are intentionally dismissing the legal perspectives here...or, well. Lets stay with you're being intentional.

Forbes/Hutton
07-07-2017, 05:15 PM
So, now we're going to argue a spectrum of torture? You are intentionally dismissing the legal perspectives here...or, well. Lets stay with you're being intentional.

The legal perspective is that he was a un-uniformed combatant. That means he has ZERO protection and rights under the laws of war.

The number of nazis convicted of war crimes for executing French resistance: Zero.
The number of nazis convicted of war crimes for torturing French resistance: Zero.
Because, not of what they did, but who they did it to made it perfectly legal.

triq
07-07-2017, 05:17 PM
This is the Grenade that Khadr is accused of throwing, and the same that he has pled guilty to throwing that killed the Delta member medic and wounding another. Note the fragmentation effect on the weapon (large chunks/plates of shrapnel)
http://www.hadtortenet.hu/sites/default/files/f-1c.jpgv_.jpg

This is the Grenade that Delta members were throwing when they took casualties from what they say was a Russian grenade thrown by Khadr. Note the fragmentation effect of the American M67 (much, much smaller. The inside texture you see is fragmented into multitudes of very small projectiles)
http://www.big-ordnance.com/grenades/Gren4/CutawayM67.jpg

Now, a picture of the surviving Delta member...you tell me what you think hit him? A 300 grain panel from the Russian or a several 8 grain pieces from the M67?(I'm estimating the weights of projectiles)
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/WORLD/americas/02/09/gitmo.omar.khadr/art.laynemorris.jpg

The US Troops accidentally fragged their own medic and wounded another when they were throwing hand grenades about on finding movement in the bombed out compound...the 15 yr old (what was expected to be mortally wounded) Khadr was a convenient scapegoat for their own f**k up.
http://projects.thestar.com/omar-khadr-in-his-own-words/img/Khadr-Battlefield.jpg

So you're a CSI now! from what 15,000 kms and 13 years away! Impressive! Not.

How long have you been working for the Liberals?

I just realised i am going to regret posting this. I foresee multiple responses in my future. Sorry everyone.

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 05:20 PM
A leader with balls would have passed a law barring any payment to him or any of his family, including welfare, stripping the whole family of citizenship and ordering their immediate deportation. Wait for the courts to rush to defend the war criminal's rights and drop the "not withstanding" hammer. Bye Bye!

YEA! Finally someone with stones! Hey I gotta Bible, who's got the rope!? (Uh, oh) So, hang on. Are we going to be giving the same treatment of those involved with the IRA (supporters/sympathizers?), How about FLQ? (That'll clear out just less than half of Quebec?)...what about our Canadian brothers of Armenian, Kurd, Israeli they're going over seas to fight as well. Their friends and families will be financially supporting causes outside our boarders as well?
I have a solution...we'll train thought police and have them go around interviewing Canadians to ensure their virtues match ours? Yea, that'll work...there may even be a discount on the cost of outfitting them?
http://newstodaypk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/saudi-police.jpg
We have trade agreements with the Saudi's don't we? ;D

(It's a very slippery slope when we treat one citizen different than another. Criminals {if found guilty} are detained, but to kick people out of the Country and strip them of citizenship just because they're a$$holes, ought not pass the test of law.)

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 05:25 PM
The legal perspective is that he was a un-uniformed combatant. That means he has ZERO protection and rights under the laws of war.

The number of nazis convicted of war crimes for executing French resistance: Zero.
The number of nazis convicted of war crimes for torturing French resistance: Zero.
Because, not of what they did, but who they did it to made it perfectly legal.

See Bold: That's simply not true. https://www.icrc.org/eng/war-and-law/protected-persons/prisoners-war/overview-detainees-protected-persons.htm

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 05:28 PM

How long have you been working for the Liberals?

I just realised i am going to regret posting this. I foresee multiple responses in my future. Sorry everyone.

Hardly, my statements are well documented positions taken by some of Khadr's guards at Gitmo, and have long been his lawyers position and part of the $20,000,000.00 suit filed against the Canadian government.

Incidentally, the wounds you see on Omar in the pic are exit wounds. He was shot through the back. When he was found, he was found unconscious/ barely conscious lying face down buried under debris from the bombing.

awndray
07-07-2017, 05:34 PM
How old are you?

That information was all presented in court by American military investigators.

awndray
07-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Not really.

Personally, I would never plead guilty to something I didn't do.
At the risk of remainjng imprisoned in a foreign country? Perhaps you don't understand the term plea bargain.

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 05:39 PM
How old are you?

That information was all presented in court by American military investigators.

I was on the verge of pointing out to him the necessity of understanding all sides of an issue prior to taking a position...thought I might get accused of 'baiting'. (I'm not baiting, I'm pointing to facts.)

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 05:43 PM
The anger is valid. It is also misdirected. This situation (the 3rd? similar) ought to be a lesson not to be forgotten or repeated.

Canada is not to engage in, condone, or assist in the stripping of the rights of its citizenry...ever...no matter...:canada:

shortandlong
07-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Yup .. no
Doubt

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 05:57 PM
You may be on to something.

He's not. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maher_Arar

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 06:11 PM
I would very much like to see Omar give $33,000 tax free to every family of the 158 Canadians who were killed/died in Afghanistan. Omar's rights were denied him. He was imprisoned for a significant portion of his life and even with $10.5 million will have a hard time in Canada on a go forward. I understand legal precedent, I therefore understand that he is entitled to that sum for the stripping of his rights, however I would like to see him of his own free will, acknowledge the sacrifice of other Canadians who's lives also ended in Afghanistan

M1917 Enfield
07-07-2017, 06:11 PM
The anger is valid. It is also misdirected. This situation (the 3rd? similar) ought to be a lesson not to be forgotten or repeated.

Canada is not to engage in, condone, or assist in the stripping of the rights of its citizenry...ever...no matter...:canada:

While this is a nice thought and position, unfortunately legal and law abiding firearm owners and users in Canada are all too familiar with Canadian governments engaging in and condoning the stripping of their rights and freedoms!

But nobody in Canada, besides other firearm owners seem to care about that fact!

awndray
07-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Perhaps. But it can and should revoke citizenships. This would have solved the Khadr problem, long ago. Alas, "a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian."

RangeBob
07-07-2017, 06:43 PM
The overall good reputation Canadians have on the international landscape is taking a nose dive.
-- Dietz

Interesting that none of the usual liberal apologists have been making excuses for this BS. Everyone can see this is wrong.
-- jethunter

------------------

http://americangg.net/veterans-reveal-10-pictures/

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 06:45 PM
He's not. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maher_Arar

There is absolutely no comparison between Arar and Khadr, no matter how strenuously you twist yourself into a pretzel trying to square that circle.

Arar was actually tortured and was completely innocent.

Khadr was subjected to sleep deprevation and pled guilty to charges against him.

Forbes/Hutton
07-07-2017, 06:45 PM
YEA! Finally someone with stones! Hey I gotta Bible, who's got the rope!? (Uh, oh) So, hang on. Are we going to be giving the same treatment of those involved with the IRA (supporters/sympathizers?), How about FLQ? (That'll clear out just less than half of Quebec?)...what about our Canadian brothers of Armenian, Kurd, Israeli they're going over seas to fight as well. Their friends and families will be financially supporting causes outside our boarders as well?
I have a solution...we'll train thought police and have them go around interviewing Canadians to ensure their virtues match ours? Yea, that'll work...there may even be a discount on the cost of outfitting them?
http://newstodaypk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/saudi-police.jpg
We have trade agreements with the Saudi's don't we? ;D

(It's a very slippery slope when we treat one citizen different than another. Criminals {if found guilty} are detained, but to kick people out of the Country and strip them of citizenship just because they're a$$holes, ought not pass the test of law.)

But it does pass the test of law. Former nazis in Canada have been stripped of their citizenship and deported to face trial, and that's only based on accusations. Arar is a convicted and admitted war criminal, so that's not a mere accusation, that's a finding of fact by a court, so why would he be treated any differently from other war criminals in Canada? He should be allowed to remain simply because he was born here? Well, now who's creating a two tier system?

I'm sure if the budget were raised to 1.5 billion the CBC would gladly start conducting the interviews, after all they are already in business of telling everyone which party approved thoughts they may have. BTW I suggest you try another channel once in a while.
As for the IRA, FLQ, etc, they were involved in a civil war, not an international one. But since you brought it up, as some, who, as a young baby, shared a ferry with an IRA bomb, and as someone whose cousin lost an arm to another IRA bomb, and as a countryman to the FLQ's only victim, I would have no problem putting any of them against the wall.

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 06:46 PM
There is absolutely no comparison between Arar and Khadr, no matter how strenuously you twist yourself into a pretzel trying to square that circle.

Arar was actually tortured and was completely innocent.

Khadr was subjected to sleep deprevation and pled guilty to charges against him.

:popcorn: That's nice.

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 06:48 PM
:popcorn:

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Perhaps. But it can and should revoke citizenships. This would have solved the Khadr problem, long ago. Alas, "a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian."

If Chretien hadn't gone to Pakistan to secure Khadr SR.'s release from prison then allowed him and his family to return to Canada we wouldn't be in this mess.

kennymo
07-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Please post everything Omar Khadr to this thread. Bringing them all together because it's getting kind of nuts in here....

lone-wolf
07-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Please post everything Omar Khadr to this thread. Bringing them all together because it's getting kind of nuts in here....

the resulting merge was pretty trippy

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 07:17 PM
But it does pass the test of law. Former nazis in Canada have been stripped of their citizenship and deported to face trial, and that's only based on accusations. Arar is a convicted and admitted war criminal, so that's not a mere accusation, that's a finding of fact by a court, so why would he be treated any differently from other war criminals in Canada? He should be allowed to remain simply because he was born here? Well, now who's creating a two tier system?

I'm sure if the budget were raised to 1.5 billion the CBC would gladly start conducting the interviews, after all they are already in business of telling everyone which party approved thoughts they may have. BTW I suggest you try another channel once in a while.
As for the IRA, FLQ, etc, they were involved in a civil war, not an international one. But since you brought it up, as some, who, as a young baby, shared a ferry with an IRA bomb, and as someone whose cousin lost an arm to another IRA bomb, and as a countryman to the FLQ's only victim, I would have no problem putting any of them against the wall.

Sorry bud, I can't freely respond here any longer, the thought police have determined that my statements are counter productive to the site. Like Khadr, no trial, no advocate, no redress, no justice...I'm not going to hold my breath for an apology let alone $10.5 M. ;D

soulchaser
07-07-2017, 07:19 PM

The US troops could have thrown the grenade, and Khadr could have picked ti up and threw it back before it exploded. Or the al queda fighters could have stolen US munutions.

See, I can pull unfounded theories out of my ass just like you.

RangeBob
07-07-2017, 07:20 PM
I wonder how justin feels about rights at airports.
Can I get $10 million when they decrypt my laptop, or search my children, etc.
If two countries away (Canada > USA > Cuba) has Canadian Constitution apply, how about on Canadian soil?

Or to put it another way
we have to follow the Constitution for terrorists,
but we have to disallow the Constitution for citizens because of terrorists.

kennymo
07-07-2017, 07:26 PM
the resulting merge was pretty trippy

Yeah, in retrospect we shoulda just locked a bunch of them down.... Oh well...

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 07:30 PM
The US troops could have thrown the grenade, and Khadr could have picked ti up and threw it back before it exploded. Or the al queda fighters could have stolen US munutions.

See, I can pull unfounded theories out of my ass just like you.

I can't respond bud. I'll be accused of trolling or baiting.

Rory McCanuck
07-07-2017, 07:35 PM
If you are capable of making a reasoned response without resorting to calling everyone that disagrees with you names, feel free to respond.
If you want to storm around the kitchen holding your breath until you turn blue, you can go to bed without any supper.

harbl_the_cat
07-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Anyone else have the thought that just maybe the Americans won't be taking prisoners if they're in a coalition with the Canadians from now on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvlxpdwojnQ

Rory McCanuck
07-07-2017, 07:51 PM
http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=2935&d=1499478600

Swampdonkey
07-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Yeah, in retrospect we shoulda just locked a bunch of them down.... Oh well...

You guys are doing great.

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 08:44 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BTo-72aKTIw/hqdefault.jpg

Forbes/Hutton
07-07-2017, 08:47 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BTo-72aKTIw/hqdefault.jpg

and they said Turdo wasn't going to the Stampede this year...

Plinker 777
07-07-2017, 08:56 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6d/f1/22/6df12269c211eced11597317d4e243ef.jpg

Eddy not Turdo.

CLW .45
07-07-2017, 08:58 PM
Remember, it was Harper who let him serve out his sentence in Canada.

speedloader
07-07-2017, 09:19 PM
would Harper be able to overule the libtard judge saying he couldn't go back
to Boston to face terrorist charges though?
which was a totally stupid ruling considering the facts of his family past

ilikemoose
07-08-2017, 01:06 AM
Remember, it was Harper who let him serve out his sentence in Canada.

Harpers government fought everthing that the activist courts did in regards to terrorist Omar.

Trudeau, Liz May and you might try and pass the buck here, but you are all wrong.

SeirX
07-08-2017, 08:15 AM
The posting date was yesterday[7th], but it cropped up today:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/government-already-paid-omar-khadr-035347855.html
************************************************** *****************************
OTTAWA — The federal government apologized Friday to Omar Khadr, sparking fresh public debate about the former Guantanamo Bay inmate and a new round of political finger-pointing in a long-running drama that has left Canadians deeply divided.

After the apology to the Toronto-born Khadr was released on paper, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale emerged to confirm the two sides had reached a settlement — and to acknowledge that it would not please everyone.

"The debate will no doubt continue passionately on all sides," Goodale told a news conference on Parliament Hill. "It is a complex saga."

Khadr wound up in U.S. custody at Guantanamo at age 15 for allegedly throwing a grenade that killed American soldier Christopher Speer in Afghanistan in 2002. He pleaded guilty to five war crimes — including killing Speer — before a military commission, a process that has since been widely condemned.

The Supreme Court ruled in 2010 that the Canadian government's participation in the "then-illegal military regime" at Guantanamo breached Khadr's guarantee of fundamental justice under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Khadr, now 30, says his captors repeatedly threatened him with rape, isolated him and on one occasion used him as a human mop to wipe up urine.

Records show they deprived Khadr of sleep by moving him from cell to cell, a practice known as the "frequent flyer program" designed to break down resistance to interrogation.

In February and September 2003, officials from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and Foreign Affairs questioned Khadr at Guantanamo and shared the results of their interrogations with the Americans.

A Foreign Affairs official interviewed him again in March 2004, knowing he had been subjected to the "frequent flyer" treatment. This time, Khadr refused to answer questions.

The Supreme Court said the interrogations offended "the most basic Canadian standards" about the treatment of young detainees.

Khadr was transferred to a Canadian prison in 2012.

The federal apology, delivered Friday in a terse statement, did not mention financial compensation, but followed reports of a controversial $10.5-million settlement of Khadr's long-standing lawsuit.

"On behalf of the government of Canada, we wish to apologize to Mr. Khadr for any role Canadian officials may have played in relation to his ordeal abroad and any resulting harm," the statement reads.

"We hope that this expression, and the negotiated settlement reached with the government, will assist him in his efforts to begin a new and hopeful chapter in his life with his fellow Canadians.

"The details of the settlement are confidential between Mr. Khadr and the government."

Word this week that the government was planning to pay Khadr and issue an apology sparked anger among many Canadians who consider him an unrepentant terrorist who is now profiting from his crimes, at the expense of taxpayers.

Goodale and Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould repeatedly drove home the point that regardless of the truth of what happened on the Afghan battlefield, the settlement dealt exclusively with the fact Khadr's charter rights were violated.

"Reaching a settlement was the only sensible course," said Goodale. "In the pursuit of justice and national security, governments must respect human rights and charter rights and the rule of law."

Goodale also laid the blame for the settlement squarely at the feet of Stephen Harper's former Conservative government, which refused to repatriate Khadr or otherwise resolve the matter, notwithstanding the Supreme Court ruling.

"They could have," he said, "but they didn't."

Court proceedings with respect to Khadr had already cost taxpayers close to $5 million in legal expenses, and not settling the case would have left them on the hook for millions more, Goodale said.

Added Wilson-Raybould: "A Canadian citizen's charter rights were violated; as a result, the government of Canada was required to provide a remedy."

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer called the settlement "disgusting," saying Khadr's return to Canada should have been remedy enough.

"Justin Trudeau should never have agreed to a secret deal that gave a convicted terrorist millions of dollars," he said Friday. "As prime minister, I would have fought against this payout in court."

Harper issued issued a statement late Friday also condemning the settlement.

"The government today attempted to lay blame elsewhere for their decision to conclude a secret deal with Omar Khadr. The decision to enter into this deal is theirs, and theirs alone, and it is simply wrong," Harper said in the statement posted on his Facebook page.

"Canadians deserve better than this, he added."

NDP justice critic Alistair MacGregor blamed both the Liberals and the Tories in equal measure.

"Successive Liberal and Conservative governments failed to uphold Omar Khadr's rights under Canadian law and instead were complicit in the violation of Mr. Khadr's constitutional rights," he said.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a source familiar with the situation told The Canadian Press that the government wanted to make the financial payment to Khadr promptly to get ahead of a massive U.S. court award against him.

"The money has been paid," the source said.

Two years ago, Speer's widow Tabitha and Layne Morris, another U.S. soldier who was injured in the battle, won a US$134.1-million default judgment against Khadr in court in Utah.

Cameron Ahmad, a spokesman for the prime minister, denied the timing of the settlement had anything to do with U.S. proceedings, issuing a statement late Friday to "provide further clarity."

"For anyone to suggest that a payment was rushed to avoid the Speers’ legal claim is wrong and offensive," Ahmad said in the emailed statement. "The payment was made in accordance with the court-assisted mediation scheduled months ago. A settlement was reached, and settlement funds were paid."

Supporters have also long pointed to the fact that Khadr was just 15 when he committed the acts he confessed to — and therefore he should have been treated as a child soldier in need of protection, not prosecution.

In a statement issued shortly after the apology was released, Khadr's lawyer, Dennis Edney, savaged the way his client was treated by the Harper government.

"Omar Khadr was abandoned in a hellish place called Guantanamo Bay, for 10 years, a place internationally condemned as a torture chamber," said Edney.

Officials in the Conservative government, he continued, "chose not to face the truth, preferring to trade in bigotry and divisiveness."

Goodale said the government informed Trump administration officials of the settlement before it was announced.

— With additional reporting from Colin Perkel in Toronto

Jim Bronskill , The Canadian Press

I'm gonna point out 2 things:
1 - I failed Rule-1 of The Internet....I read the comments. Of the 813 Reactions [comments] ...now, I didn't go through every one, but of the 60 or so I did go through I didn't see a single person claiming this was a good idea or how proud they were of our government for wasting tax payer dollars.

2 - "Goodale and Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould repeatedly drove home the point that regardless of the truth of what happened on the Afghan battlefield, the settlement dealt exclusively with the fact Khadr's charter rights were violated."

....how awesome to have people in power who openly admit they ignore the truth of matters and focus on things that really, utterly and almost-completely have nothing to do with Canada, its government, or the taxpayers so they can fleece the taxpayers even more.

Harper may have let him serve his sentence here in Canada... but he certainly didn't get all bleeding-heart money-spendy on the goof.
According to the article, Harper spoke out about/against this on his facebook page.

Forbes/Hutton
07-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Well,
at least the letter is an apology "on behalf of the Canadian government", if it had been Turdo's usual "on behalf of all Canadians" I would have lost my poo. I'm not sorry, not in the least, I think the government should be apologizing for letting a murderer, terrorist and war criminal loose on the streets. The reality is the Canadians/Americans should have held him for a year or two it took to get the puppet government up and running and then turned him over to the Afghan government to stand trial for crimes committed in Afghanistan. I'll bet they would have executed him before he turned 18.

Billythreefeathers
07-08-2017, 08:34 AM
Omar Khadr and the Trudeau government’s $10.5-million payout enrages new Conservative leader Scheer

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/07/07/omar-khadr-and-the-trudeau-governments-105-million-payout-enrages-new-conservative-leader-scheer

Andrew Scheer, the new federal Conservative leader, walks into a small meeting room in a downtown Calgary hotel, five blocks from all the hoopla of the Stampede parade.

He planned to be at the parade. Then his plans changed.

Scheer is in a dark suit. He looks all business. He is here to speak about Omar Khadr and his $10.5-million cheque from Canadian taxpayers.

Scheer calls it “a $10.5-million secret payout to the terrorist who killed U.S. Army Sgt. Christopher Speer in Afghanistan.”

Cutting the cheque was a choice Prime Minister Trudeau made.

Scheer says the Liberals rushed the millions out the door and now Speer’s widow will almost certainly not have the opportunity to have her claim heard.

This is “outrageous” and “reprehensible.”

The Liberals insist the timing had nothing to do with that claim from the dead American soldier’s family.

The Tory leader says the Khadr deal is “a slap in the face” to the military, to those who fought in Afghanistan, to all those who lost their lives on the battlefield.

It sends “a terrible message.”

“It’s not just wrong. It’s disgusting. Canadians are rightly outraged,” says Scheer.

Yes, there was no fanfare for this arrangement.

We only heard about the payment through a leak to the press.

Trudeau has not explained his actions. He has not faced the music. It is an ugly tune.

The House of Commons is out for the summer. Trudeau is out of the country.

You couldn’t help but think what would have been the reception if Trudeau had shown up for the Stampede on the day when his government was saying sorry to Khadr while confirming the cheque but not the amount.

As for all that dough, Scheer thinks if Khadr is really sorry he could give the cash to Speer’s family.

Right. The Conservative leader has enough knowledge of The Good Book to know hell is not about to freeze over anytime soon.

Scheer says if he was prime minister, and it’s a job he wants, the government of Canada would fight for the principle “that we don’t pay convicted terrorists compensation.”

Meanwhile, the Liberals sell this as being a sort of bargain for taxpayers. It could have us cost more. Khadr was suing for $20 million. Then there’s the legal bills.

We should be grateful our benevolent government cut our losses.

It is true the Supreme Court ruled Canadian officials were offside in the treatment of Khadr under interrogation, violating his rights.

But, as Scheer points out, the learned justices did not suggest a payout.

Scheer says being brought back to Canada and living here is the payout. That’s it, that’s all. Story should have been over.

But Khadr was only 15 when Speer was killed. Wasn’t he a child soldier?

This is a question often raised. It was asked again in Calgary.

Scheer points out in many cases, young offenders who commit horrible crimes are often treated as adults.

Earlier, at the Stampede parade, newshounds ask Veterans Affairs Minister and Calgary Liberal MP Kent Hehr about the Khadr deal.

One thing about Hehr. More often than not he’s a hell of a good talker.

Not this time. He wraps himself up in a string of empty phrases for just under two minutes until he says: “We’re done, guys.”

It is painful and Hehr knows it.

Later, an official statement appears saying the Conservatives used Khadr “as a wedge issue to score political points — and they still are today.”

“If Conservatives had their way, the government would still be wasting tax dollars on legal fees fighting a losing case.”

The words echo from the masters of spin in Ottawa. This is not their best effort.

Originally, this column was to be about the Notley NDP once again not facing financial reality.

It was even going to quote Premier Notley saying her government was “making life better for Albertans” while a ratings agency slammed the province.

But then a politician from out of town got real serious and switched his Stampede cowboy clothes for a suit.

Billythreefeathers
I really hope Andrew cleans justin up in 2019

Waterloomike
The tribunal process and the Canadian process begins with plea bargaining.

The Canadian justifiability of the Charter Rights begins and ends with being deserved only if you deserve them.

Joining and fighting in a terrorist gang doesn't appear to be protected in the charter and most certainly doesn't get a $10.5 mill reward.

This is hideous and can only happen in a society that is upside down and inside out.