PDA

View Full Version : Angus Ried: 71% disagree with Trudeau government's payout to Omar Khadr

soulchaser
07-10-2017, 08:11 PM
http://angusreid.org/omar-khadr-compensation/

July 10, 2017 – The vast majority of Canadians say the federal government made the wrong decision in settling a lawsuit with former child soldier Omar Khadr and instead apologizing and paying him $10.5 million in compensation for his treatment as a prisoner in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

A new survey from the Angus Reid Institute indicates more than seven-in-ten (71%) are of the opinion the Trudeau government should have fought the case and left it to the courts to decide whether Khadr was wrongfully imprisoned.

Further, most Canadians reject the notion that government officials had “no choice” but to settle – but money appears to be the main source of opposition to the deal. Canadians are slightly more inclined to have said sorry to Khadr than offer compensation, had the decision been in their own hands.

soulchaser
07-10-2017, 08:12 PM
91% of CPC voters, 61% of Liberal voters and 64% of NDP voters disagree with the payout.

Other findings:

When asked if Omar Khadr has ultimately been treated fairly or unfairly, Canadians most commonly answer that they are unsure (42%); slightly more are inclined to say he’s had fair treatment (34%) than unfair (24%)

Two-thirds (65%) reject the notion the Trudeau government had “no choice” but to settle and offer Omar Khadr an apology and compensation

The same number (64%) also agree that Khadr remains a “potential radicalized threat” now living in Canada

Carguy2550
07-10-2017, 08:14 PM
71%, I'm surprised and slightly disappointed it's that low.

soulchaser
07-10-2017, 08:14 PM
It should also be noted Trudeau's Iran/Cuba dips--t brother Sacha lobbied Justin hard on behalf ot Khadr.

Swampdonkey
07-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Canadians are missing the point.

Between Canadian foreign aid going to the Clinton Foundation, Ahmed Said Khadr's social web, the Aga Khan, Syrian migrants being imported faster than they want to come, and legislated favouritism to Islam, the greater truth is that Canada has a government of double agents. We are a banana republic.

Waterloomike
07-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Canadians are missing the point.

Between Canadian foreign aid going to the Clinton Foundation, Ahmed Said Khadr's social web, the Aga Khan, Syrian migrants being imported faster than they want to come, and legislated favouritism to Islam, the greater truth is that Canada has a government of double agents. We are a banana republic.

By the time the turd has picked our bones and given it all to some corruption or other, being a banana republic will look pretty good.

Forbes/Hutton
07-10-2017, 09:28 PM
Brian Lilly was on Talk 1010 (Toronto) this morning. He was talking about the same question asked by a TV and a radio station in Ottawa, the viewers/listeners were 91% and 82% against the deal. What I found interesting is that a big chunk of those viewers and listeners are going to be government employees and normally love their lieberal overlords. I think (hope) that this will be an issue that really open the eyes of those that voted while sleepwalking last time, and that everything the Prime Moron gets the close examination it deserves instead of just assuming someone with hair that good couldn't be bad.

Lee Enfield
07-11-2017, 12:01 AM
I am embarrassed to say I am a Canadian at this time in my life.

The problem is Moonbeam with change to a different pair of socks and the village idiots will forgive him for his stupidity.

Doug_M
07-11-2017, 04:53 AM
71%, I'm surprised and slightly disappointed it's that low.

I was pleasantly surprised it was so high. If the CBC were to be believed before this survey you'd think opinion was 50/50.

FallisCowboy
07-11-2017, 07:17 AM
I was pleasantly surprised it was so high. If the CBC were to be believed before this survey you'd think opinion was 50/50.

What was just so wrong about this.

Doug_M
07-11-2017, 07:56 AM
What was just so wrong about this.

lol

Billythreefeathers
07-11-2017, 08:25 AM
WE have to make sure Turdo eats this shitty end first

make sure to remind everyone about this until he is gone in 2019

Lee Enfield
07-11-2017, 09:16 AM
WE have to make sure Turdo eats this shitty end first

make sure to remind everyone about this until he is gone in 2019

This is the key to success, never forget what Moonbeam and his ILK have done. We Canadians are known to be too forgiving with short memories.

Keeping this story alive could lead to the defeat of Moonbeam in 2019 and rest assured the LIEberals never thought it would end up like it has. You can bet the backroom chatter is out of control attempting to figure out how to paint the money to Khadr as a good deal.

We know countess lefties will want to forgive him and refocus on his socks, we have to do our best to make sure this doesn't happen.

Mark-II
07-11-2017, 11:54 AM
I would have been happier to see 50 million wasted on lawyers fighting this, while Omar and whomever is backing him gets their savings whittled away.

Justin talks out the side of his face even better than uncle Jean did.

Canada won't negotiate with terrorists, eh?

VooDoo
07-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Interesting observations by the next PM - Rex Murphy.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-i-suspect-mr-trudeau-will-skip-the-theme-socks-for-the-omar-khadr-apology/wcm/05aa6ed9-bbe2-4976-bedc-219efac565df

Three things mark the Khadr announcement.
The government didn’t want in any visible way to be associated with it.
They wanted it done swiftly and with maximum distraction.
And they didn’t want Trudeau on the same continent when the news broke.

Trudeau was slippery when he talked of “anticipating” the “judicial process is coming to its conclusion.” No such thing.
He had amputated the judicial process when he made those remarks. Took it out of the courts and straight to lavish settlement.
Premier Brad Wall made the point as well as any: “… there ought never be an offer to ‘settle.’ Some things are worth the legal fight … right to the end.”

sltoronto
07-11-2017, 01:41 PM
It's time to have a special investigation into dealings of Liberal Party and it's leaders - past and present - into connections between them and the Khadr family ...

also, all these shady family foundations' dealings must be included into investigation ...

I am sure that there's much more to find there than in all this BS about Trump's collusion with Russia ...

wolver
07-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Would it had mattered if 99% disagreed? Trudeau's gov't will do as it pleases. Canadians are too wimpified to stand up and be heard.

Swampdonkey
07-11-2017, 07:12 PM
By the time the turd has picked our bones and given it all to some corruption or other, being a banana republic will look pretty good.

The Liberal Party is grooming us to be slaves for Islamic owners. How else does it add up?

FALover
07-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Never asked me or anyone else I know in my neighbourhood. (conservative blue Barrie-Innisfil) When the next election rolls around I will donate cash for a billboard that should picture Trudeau+Kadr= $10,500,000.00 Dollars of Honest Canadian Taxpayers Money.

JustBen
07-11-2017, 09:52 PM
I won't be surprised if and when Khadr donates to the liberals for the next election run. Or runs himself.

Buster
07-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Never asked me or anyone else I know in my neighbourhood. (conservative blue Barrie-Innisfil) When the next election rolls around I will donate cash for a billboard that should picture Trudeau+Kadr= $10,500,000.00 Dollars of Honest Canadian Taxpayers Money.

This right here will win the election. That's 71% who won't vote him back in.

RangeBob
07-11-2017, 10:59 PM
6,930,136 people voted Liberal in the 2015 federal election.
-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_Canadian_federal_election,_2015

blacksmithden
07-13-2017, 03:03 PM

Just took this picture of the back page of my passport. I couldnt find the part where it says you get multimillion dollar payouts for commiting terrorist acts.

blacksmithden
07-13-2017, 03:04 PM

Just took this picture of the back page of my passport. I noted the part about no immunity. I couldnt find the part where it says you get multimillion dollar payouts for commiting terrorist acts.

awndray
07-13-2017, 04:36 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/khadr-trudeau-court-cost-1.4203498

I have it on good authority that the $40M figure is an exaggeration. There was very little wiggle room for the sum total of the settlement and legal fees.

Without getting into details, what I can say (because it's public) is that the legal costs were $5M.

RangeBob
07-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Without getting into details, what I can say (because it's public) is that the legal costs were $5M.

I thought
- before this payout, the federal government already paid $5 million in legal fees to government lawyers, and
- provincial governments had paid for judges and buildings to hold the trials and hearings in, and
- within this $10.5 million payout, $6 million went to Khadr, and $4.5 went to his lawyer Dennis Edney, and
- Dennis Edney may have also received donations from non-government sources (mosques across the world) 2007-2017.

soulchaser
07-13-2017, 05:16 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/khadr-trudeau-court-cost-1.4203498

From the above:

""If we had continued to fight this, not only would we have inevitably lost, but estimates ranged from $30 to $40 million that it would have ended up costing the government," he said. "So this was the responsible path to take."

I'll have to find it online but IIRC Lorrie Goldstein had an article in the Toronto Sun where a lawyer familiar with these kinds of cases put forward three arguments the government could have used against Khadr in court and got any damages significantly lower than the $10.5 million Trudeau paid.

Chief among them: Khadr was the author of his own misfortune.

EDIT: Found it

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/07/12/liberals-could-have-defended-khadr-case

Liberals could have defended Khadr case

Lorrie Goldstein, Toronto Sun
First posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 05:07 PM EDT

The Trudeau Liberals insist they had little choice but to settle with Omar Khadr for $10.5 million.

This in light of Khadr’s $20 million civil suit against them and because the Supreme Court found in 2010 that the Jean Chretien and Paul Martin Liberal governments violated Khadr’s Charter rights to life, liberty and security of the person in 2003 and 2004.

That was when they sent CSIS and foreign affairs interrogators to question Khadr in Guantanamo, and shared the information they obtained with his American captors, knowing he had been sleep deprived.

The Supreme Court ruled subjecting Khadr to this as a youth, while questioning him without access to legal counsel, violated his rights.

None of that, however, means the Trudeau government couldn’t have defended the Khadr suit, nor that it would automatically have had to pay $10.5 million or more.

A veteran lawyer I spoke with said the amount awarded by the court could have been much less, given that the Liberal government could have mounted a credible defence, based on several factors.

First, the 2010 court decision did not require the federal government to try and repatriate Khadr, who was nonetheless repatriated just two years later, under the Stephen Harper government.

Second, plaintiffs routinely ask for much more than they expect to be awarded if they win, so there was nothing written in stone about Khadr’s $20 million claim.

Third, while it’s likely (though not automatic) the government would have been found liable for damages, given the 2010 court ruling, it could have argued those damages should be well short of $10.5 million.

For example, by noting the major violator of Khadr’s rights was the U.S., not Canada, and that Canada isn’t responsible for what the U.S. did.

Then there’s the issue of to what extent Khadr was the author of his own misfortune, known legally as volenti non fit injuria,

Here, the lawyer said, the Trudeau government could have argued Khadr caused the situation he was in -- by participating in a firefight against U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan in 2002, that led to the death of Sgt. Christopher Speer and the blinding of Sgt. Layne Morris in one eye.

In a car accident, for example, damages to a plaintiff can be eliminated or reduced if it’s found he was speeding and/or not wearing a seat belt.

In the Khadr case, the court would have had to decide to what extent Khadr acted under his own free will at 15 years of age, and to what extent he was under the influence of his terrorist father, Ahmed Said Khadr, who sent him to terrorist training camps operated by the Taliban and Osama bin Laden.

Given these arguments, the lawyer said, the court could have awarded damages substantially less than $10.5 million, or the $11.5 million, with an apology, that Maher Arar settled for in 2007 with the Harper government.

That was another case, caused by the Chretien government, in which Arar, who was innocent, was deported by the Americans to Syria in 2002 and tortured, after the RCMP gave the U.S. false information about his supposed ties to terrorists.

In other words, the Chretien government’s actions were far worse than with Khadr.

Simply put, the Trudeau government, which claimed the Khadr case has already cost almost $5 million -- which the lawyer said sounds extraordinarily high -- could have defended itself had it wanted to. It didn’t.

Candychikita
07-15-2017, 10:32 AM
Not to mention it is not a foregone conclusion that costs are awarded to the winning party, and there are rules about how much of the claimed costs are actually paid. The awarding of costs is sometimes a completely separate case.

awndray
07-19-2017, 11:55 AM
From Taxpayer.com

In the first nine days, more than 133,000 Canadians signed the petition. Excluding the middle of the night, that’s 1,000 Canadians per hour.

To put this into context, the most successful e-petition (http://taxpayer.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=e436226d501953d6bf1068db8&id=be1e22c3fd&e=1d08752d30) tabled in the House of Commons was around 130,000 and that took four months. We beat that in nine days!

We wanted to let you know that we delivered your petition directly to the Prime Minister’s Office last Thursday. If you want to watch the video of our federal director Aaron Wudrick delivering your petition, you can watch it here: https://www.facebook.com/TaxpayerDOTcom/videos/10155560794498910/ (http://taxpayer.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e436226d501953d6bf1068db8&id=b2faf361e5&e=1d08752d30)

We’ve heard from a bunch of Canadians who didn’t know of the petition until last week's delivery, so we’re keeping the petition going here: https://www.taxpayer.com/resource-centre/petitions/petition?tpContentId=162?tpContentId=162 (http://taxpayer.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e436226d501953d6bf1068db8&id=5df37407b3&e=1d08752d30)
If enough people keep signing, we will do another delivery.

The petition delivery got a lot of attention from the media. Here are a few media clips:
CTV (http://taxpayer.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e436226d501953d6bf1068db8&id=f8502040be&e=1d08752d30)
Global (http://taxpayer.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e436226d501953d6bf1068db8&id=6b8881e3fa&e=1d08752d30)
Huffington Post (http://taxpayer.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e436226d501953d6bf1068db8&id=61c816d5b4&e=1d08752d30)
The Tasha Kheiriddin Show (http://taxpayer.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=e436226d501953d6bf1068db8&id=f5843ad4da&e=1d08752d30)
Toronto Star (http://taxpayer.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e436226d501953d6bf1068db8&id=af977912a6&e=1d08752d30)

We might not have been able to stop this payment, but getting organized made an impact. There’s no doubt that the Prime Minister heard loud and clear that Canadians are upset. Hopefully that will cause him to reconsider next time he’s faced with a similar decision.