PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Gitmo detainee praises Canada's deal with Khadr as setting the bar

soulchaser
07-11-2017, 07:55 PM
TORONTO – A British man compensated by the U.K. government for his torture and years of detention at Guantanamo Bay expressed dismay on Tuesday at the public and political furor in Canada over Ottawa’s settlement with Omar Khadr.

Speaking from his home in Birmingham in the U.K., Moazzam Begg said Canadians instead should be proud of the federal government for the payment and apology to Khadr for breaching his rights.

“The nation shouldn’t be upset about issuing an apology for something that’s right,” Begg told The Canadian Press. “If people are getting upset about that, I think they need to revisit what their morals and values are about.”

Begg is one of 16 former Guantanamo detainees who settled lawsuits against the British government in 2010. The deal, while decried by some, aroused little of the anger seen in Canada over the Khadr settlement, announced last week, which sources said was worth $10.5 million.

soulchaser
07-11-2017, 07:56 PM
MORE:
For one thing, Begg said, Khadr’s payment was far in excess of anything the Britons received – reportedly a total of about $30 million. For another, the allegations that he killed an American soldier in Afghanistan, were more serious.

Nevertheless, he said, Canada has led the way globally in how it has settled with Khadr and previously with others such as Maher Arar, who was sent by the Americans to torture in Syria.

“Canada has set the bar,” Begg said. “It isn’t about the amounts, though the amounts … are far, far greater. It’s about the apology.”

Now 49, Begg was kidnapped in Pakistan where he was living in early 2002, and turned over to American forces. They imprisoned him at Bagram in Afghanistan, where a horribly wounded 15-year-old Khadr was taken after U.S. soldiers captured him in July of that year.

soulchaser
07-11-2017, 07:57 PM
MORE:
Given the extent of Khadr’s injuries, Begg said he could scarcely believe the Canadian teenager survived the battle in which Sgt. Chris Speer was killed and fellow Delta Force soldier Layne Morris was blinded in one eye.

In the ensuing months, Begg said he witnessed the mistreatment the Americans meted out to the “young child,” despite his juvenile status.

“I was shocked at his treatment by a lot of soldiers,” Begg said. “They would scream at him and drag him around. He was quiet and very patient. He never complained. I never saw nor heard a word of complaint from him – ever.”

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/07/11/ex-gitmo-detainee-praises-canadas-deal-with-khadr-as-setting-the-bar/

soulchaser
07-11-2017, 07:57 PM
And the media's attempt to sanitize Trudeau's deal with Khadr continues...

Waterloomike
07-11-2017, 08:08 PM
MORE:
For one thing, Begg said, Khadr’s payment was far in excess of anything the Britons received – reportedly a total of about $30 million. For another, the allegations that he killed an American soldier in Afghanistan, were more serious.

Nevertheless, he said, Canada has led the way globally in how it has settled with Khadr and previously with others such as Maher Arar, who was sent by the Americans to torture in Syria.

“Canada has set the bar,” Begg said. “It isn’t about the amounts, though the amounts … are far, far greater. It’s about the apology.”

Now 49, Begg was kidnapped in Pakistan where he was living in early 2002, and turned over to American forces. They imprisoned him at Bagram in Afghanistan, where a horribly wounded 15-year-old Khadr was taken after U.S. soldiers captured him in July of that year.

OR he could have said it this way: Canada has greased the wheels for global terrorism.

Forbes/Hutton
07-11-2017, 08:24 PM
Too bad the Americans didn't decide to have the prisoners attempt a mass escape and shoot them all in the back.

daus
07-12-2017, 12:57 AM
Too bad the Americans didn't decide to have the prisoners attempt a mass escape and shoot them all in the back.

Or treat them humanely and not have this snitstorm to deal with.

Swingerguy
07-12-2017, 03:05 AM

Yeah!! Humanely, like the Muslim extremist / gitmo residents want to treat all of us "unbelievers.

firemachine69
07-12-2017, 03:29 AM
MORE:
Given the extent of Khadr’s injuries, Begg said he could scarcely believe the Canadian teenager survived the battle in which Sgt. Chris Speer was killed and fellow Delta Force soldier Layne Morris was blinded in one eye.

In the ensuing months, Begg said he witnessed the mistreatment the Americans meted out to the “young child,” despite his juvenile status.

“I was shocked at his treatment by a lot of soldiers,” Begg said. “They would scream at him and drag him around. He was quiet and very patient. He never complained. I never saw nor heard a word of complaint from him – ever.”

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/07/11/ex-gitmo-detainee-praises-canadas-deal-with-khadr-as-setting-the-bar/

According to Islam, he was not a child. Sorry, no convenience card for you to play!

Shedding even just one tear is a waste for these third-world animals.

Doug_M
07-12-2017, 04:49 AM
Yeah!! Humanely, like the Muslim extremist / gitmo residents want to treat all of us "unbelievers.

I loathe Khadr and abhor the payout to him, but let's be honest here, Gitmo was created to skirt the rules surrounding prisoners of war as well as the laws of the US itself.

Canada_Phil
07-12-2017, 05:01 AM
Schhhhhhhh!.... Quiet everyone and gather around.....

Moe-Ahh-Shazzam is talkin.

Waterloomike
07-12-2017, 05:22 AM
What rules does isis have? They make videos of beheadings and mass executions. They have slaves and sell slaves.

Quite a sick bunch they are.

daus
07-13-2017, 05:01 PM

Still no excuse to stoop to their level. And I'm sure prisoner's treatment at Gitmo made them question why they didn't like the west. /s

Shedding even just one tear is a waste for these third-world animals.

They are still humans with rights, and I'm sure in their twisted paradigm they're sure they're doing the right thing.
No love lost, but let's be honourable about it and not skirt the law to deal with them.

Waterloomike
07-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Still no excuse to stoop to their level. And I'm sure prisoner's treatment at Gitmo made them question why they didn't like the west. /s

They are still humans with rights, and I'm sure in their twisted paradigm they're sure they're doing the right thing.
No love lost, but let's be honourable about it and not skirt the law to deal with them.

When khadr was repatriated he was treated humanely. That's all Canada is responsible for.

A $10.5 million payout for a decision he made to join the other side is ridiculously inhumane to taxpayers.

firemachine69
07-14-2017, 04:18 AM

THERE IS NO LAW.

Seriously, this is not complicated. Non-uniformed combatant = spy = do as you please to them.

Canadian Charter ALSO does not apply outside our borders.

daus
07-14-2017, 03:02 PM
When khadr was repatriated he was treated humanely. That's all Canada is responsible for.

A $10.5 million payout for a decision he made to join the other side is ridiculously inhumane to taxpayers.

To that i agree.

If you read the case it's not so cut and dried. It's the Canadian government sending down people to interrogate him, as well as not demanding his repatriation that is somehow made it a settlement issue. would you rather it be dragged through the courts and end up with the trial costing $10.5, and then on top of that still have the risk of a bigger payout? It sucks, but this was the best way to do it from what I've read.

What complicates it further is he was legally a child at the time.

daus
07-14-2017, 03:09 PM
THERE IS NO LAW.

Seriously, this is not complicated. Non-uniformed combatant = spy = do as you please to them.

Canadian Charter ALSO does not apply outside our borders.

Oh good to know. Remember that if you ever get stuck in some third world prison with unga bunga as your guard. The government can leave you there regardless of if you did what you've been accused of. No bigs, it happened outside of Canada, your treatment is not their problem. And you'd better not get any reparations if it turns out it can't be proven or your government abandons you.

Kadr was still a Canadian, and the government has a responsibility to ensure humane treatment of its citizens to a degree. That's what the problem was. Sure, try him for treason and string him up if he's guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. But do it right, none of this kangaroo court bs.

Strewth
07-14-2017, 03:23 PM
Oh good to know. Remember that if you ever get stuck in some third world prison with unga bunga as your guard. The government can leave you there regardless of if you did what you've been accused of. No bigs, it happened outside of Canada, your treatment is not their problem. And you'd better not get any reparations if it turns out it can't be proven or your government abandons you.
I have a clever way to avoid this. I will not take up arms against Canadian soldiers or Canada's allies.

Kadr was still a Canadian, and the government has a responsibility to ensure humane treatment of its citizens to a degree. That's what the problem was. Sure, try him for treason and string him up if he's guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. But do it right, none of this kangaroo court bs.
Good idea, we should have a trial...oh wait we can't. The Liberals said it would cost too much. The Supreme Court recommended an apology, and the Liberals doubled down on idiotic feel-good UN suck-up measures and paid off a person that allegedly took up arms against us.

Run 'n' Gun
07-14-2017, 03:27 PM
5 gets you 10 he skips bail and goes back to Afghanistan, our tax dollars financing his new life

Forbes/Hutton
07-14-2017, 03:34 PM
5 gets you 10 he skips bail and goes back to Afghanistan, our tax dollars financing his new life

Good. Then you get CSIS and the CIA to start holding press conferences hinting that every bit of information came from him. "Thanks to khadr's efforts and connections, we were able to locate the base and drop so smart bombs on it". "Cruel and unusual" is how his Tabiban bubbies will end up dealing with him, hopefully on video so that the SCC can be forced to watch so they'll have a good frame of reference for the future.

firemachine69
07-14-2017, 07:07 PM

Actually, yes, that's my fault for getting there. The government owes me NOTHING. It's not like they forced me to go there, right?

The amount of closet Marxists in this country is terrifying, because they don't even realize it.