PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Regulatory Agency Tells Alcohol Retailers, Distributors To Stop Selling Some Israeli Wines

RangeBob
07-12-2017, 11:36 PM
July 12, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario

The LCBO, Ontario’s quasi-monopoly retailer and distributor of alcohol (with a few exceptions for wine and beer), announced that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is forcing LCBO and all other wine vendors to cease the sale and importation of wine from two Israeli wines, Psagot Winery and Shiloh Winery.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is a regulatory agency that was formed in 1997 for the purpose of insuring the well-being of Canadians by regulating their food, plants and animals.

The regulatory agency is banning Israeli wines in Canada because the “Government of Canada does not recognize Israel’s sovereignty over the territories occupied in 1967 (Golan Heights, West Bank, East Jerusalem, Gaza Strip).”

A letter from the LCBO sent to wine vendors on July 11 (full letter below) explained the CFIA's rationale for banning some Israeli brands (emphasis added):

The CFIA clarified that “Product of Israel” would not be an acceptable country of origin declaration for wine products that have been made from grapes that are grown, fermented, processed, blended and finished in the West Bank.

CFIA further advised that the government of Canada does not recognize Israel’s sovereignty over the territories occupied in 1967 (The Golan Heights, The West Bank, East Jerusalem and The Gaza Strip). As such, wine products from these regions that are labeled as “Products of Israel” would not be acceptable and would be misleading as per subsection 5(1) of the Food and Drugs Act.

The letter cites subsection 5(1) of the Food and Drugs Act, which reads:

No person shall label, package, treat, process, sell or advertise any food in a manner that is false, misleading or deceptive or is likely to create an erroneous impression regarding its character, value, quantity, composition, merit or safety.

I never thought that we would reach the point where a food, plant and animal regulation agency in Canada would take a political stance on the Arab-Israeli conflict while superfluously using whatever power they have to advance their anti-Zionist agenda.

What exactly this ban has to do with maintaining the health and well-being of Canadians (the supposed dedication of the CFIA), I do not know. Unfortunately, I don’t think that the CFIA knows either. The Daily Wire reached out to CFIA’s Media Relations department, but they refused to comment.

hxxp://www.dailywire.com/news/18540/canadian-regulatory-agency-tells-alcohol-retailers-josh-eisen
(Original letter at link)

Dewey Cox
07-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Wow.

cyph3r
07-13-2017, 12:03 AM
I think that's great.

Doug_M
07-13-2017, 05:22 AM
I think that's great.

Of course you do. Hamas has been quite successful with their propaganda in the West. Most people have no clue about the history of the region and their opinions are formed based on what they've "learned" in the past decade or less. BDS has been very successful.

SpenceyHR
07-13-2017, 06:50 AM
Ok, how many Muslims are in this agency? And why would you let Muslims on an agency that regulates alcohol?

Mark-II
07-13-2017, 06:55 AM
If the product is produced under the umbrella of Israeli law and regulations, then explain to me slowly how it is, for all intents, not a product of Israel.

soulchaser
07-13-2017, 07:52 AM
By that logic, since whitey stole the land from natives down in the US, no American wines should be allowed for sale at the LCBO.

lone-wolf
07-13-2017, 08:08 AM
The Golan Heights

Israeli tanks own that spot from everything I've seen on the history/military channel(greatest tank battles)

Canada_Phil
07-13-2017, 09:10 AM
This suddenly makes we want to go out and try some ISRAELI wine!!

Just like how when the apologists came out in force to attack Scarlett Johansen for becoming the spokesperson for SodaStream....

and just like how Hamas and the like came out to BAN Wonder Woman cuz it starred not only a woman but an ISRAELI Woman!!

And you know what?..

It's great POP !!...

It's a great MOVIE !!...

and I bet the WINE is great too!!

F.U to all that are at the root of this.

Billythreefeathers
07-13-2017, 09:13 AM
that fits the liberal agenda,, so it's all good

Waterloomike
07-13-2017, 09:50 AM
This is why government should never have control of any kind of enterprising business.

My gawd, it's business, not politics.

Homemade is looking better everyday.

lone-wolf
07-13-2017, 09:58 AM
You're right, the real question is "Why is the government involved in the liquor business at all?"
Prohibition isn't dead. The government has made it profitable for themselves.

Waterloomike
07-13-2017, 10:07 AM
You're right, the real question is "Why is the government involved in the liquor business at all?"
Prohibition isn't dead. The government has made it profitable for themselves.

Whatever they're involved with, guns are involved and they're not aimed at themselves.

FlyingHigh
07-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Canada is pretty much dead.

Canada_Phil
07-13-2017, 09:56 PM
Oh lookie here now.... A complete REVERSAL!
Looks like some bureaucrat with an anti-Israel agenda didn't do his homework! (probably was a Drama major)
-----

CFIA reverses decision to remove West Bank wines labelled 'Product of Israel'
CFIA confirmed the products in question can be sold as currently labelled

Brennan Doherty · The Canadian Press
3 Hours Ago
psagot winery
The agency initially asked the LCBO to stop selling wines from the Psagot and Shiloh wineries. (psagotwines.com)
0 shares
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is reversing an earlier decision that said wines from the West Bank labelled "Product of Israel" could no longer be sold in Canada.

The agency initially asked the Liquor Control Board of Ontario — which in turn asked liquor vendors — to stop selling and importing wines from the Psagot and Shiloh wineries labelled "Product of Israel."

The agency had said the label would not be an acceptable country of origin declaration for wine products that have been made from grapes in the West Bank occupied territory, which Ottawa does not officially recognize as a legitimate part of Israel.

kosher wine
The Canadian-Israel Free Trade Agreement was not fully considered when dealing with this matter, the CFIA said. (B'nai Brith Canada handout)
The decision drew condemnation from Jewish groups in Canada, as well as the Israeli embassy in Ottawa.

The CFIA said this afternoon that it had not fully considered the Canada-Israel Free Trade Agreement when dealing with the matter.

Under the agreement, Israel refers to any territory where the country's customs laws are applied.

The CFIA also says it regretted the outcome of the wine labelling assessment, and confirmed the products in question can be sold as currently labelled.

SpenceyHR
07-13-2017, 10:00 PM
Oh lookie here now.... A complete REVERSAL!
Looks like some bureaucrat with an anti-Israel agenda didn't do his homework! (probably was a Drama major)

My money's on diversity hire.

JustBen
07-14-2017, 05:09 AM
I've never understood people's hate for the Jewish people.

firemachine69
07-14-2017, 05:46 AM

Almost every bankster is Jewish.

Two For Sure
07-14-2017, 06:09 AM
I don't understand people's hate for the Jewish people either.

But what I do understand is hate for Jewish wine. It is vile.

RangeBob
07-14-2017, 08:52 AM

Ezra Levant (The Rebel) says that every city justin goes to he visits all the mosques, but none of the synagogues.
He suggests it's because there are more Muslim voters.
[The purpose of government is to defend the rights of minorities]

The Ugly Truth About Justin Trudeau | Ezra Levant and Stefan Molyneux
Apr 29, 2017, 70 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Kj-R4Ja08

lone-wolf
07-14-2017, 09:00 AM
[The purpose of government is to defend the rights of minorities]

The smallest minority is the individual, they should start there.

Canada_Phil
07-14-2017, 09:18 AM
My money's on diversity hire.

Ding!..Ding!... Ding!
:D

Waterloomike
07-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Almost every bankster is Jewish.

In europe, during the middle ages, banking was the only business or job they were allowed. So it became custom.

Swampdonkey
07-14-2017, 09:49 AM

They have a long history of being Jewish first, which for most of history, meant they were much less loyal and stable than the general populace. That's irrelevant now, but in former times it meant a fair bit.

Contractor vs employee, leased vs owned, fear vs respect, neighbour vs family.

They were essentially the first citizens of convenience.