PDA

View Full Version : Judge dismisses request from soldier’s widow to freeze Omar Khadr’s assets

Billythreefeathers
07-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Judge dismisses request from soldier’s widow to freeze Omar Khadr’s assets

Tabitha Speer, the widow of U.S. Sgt. Chris Speer, had asked an Ontario court to enforce a $134-million (U.S.) wrongful-death judgment against Khadr handed down in Utah.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/07/13/judge-denies-us-soldiers-widows-motion-to-freeze-omar-khadrs-money.html

TORONTO—A judge in Toronto has dismissed a request to freeze Omar Khadr’s assets.

The request for an injunction came from the widow of an American soldier killed in Afghanistan.

The widow, Tabitha Speer, will be asking a Canadian court to enforce a $134-million (U.S.) wrongful-death judgment against Khadr handed down in Utah.

The judge hearing today’s case had said the request to freeze Khadr’s assets pending a trial was “extraordinary.”

Speer’s husband, , was killed in Afghanistan in July 2002. Khadr admitted to throwing the killer grenade, but later recanted, saying it was only so he could get away from American custody in Guantanamo Bay.

Billythreefeathers
07-13-2017, 10:10 AM
“extraordinary.”

really?

FALover
07-13-2017, 10:38 AM
“extraordinary.”

really?

It's extraordinary when the public ask for that. It's commonplace when the government demands it.

Swingerguy
07-13-2017, 10:56 AM
This country is going to liberal in a hand basket.

Waterloomike
07-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Killing an unarmed soldier and getting $10.5 mill is everyday.

Doug_M
07-13-2017, 11:18 AM
This country is going to liberal in a hand basket.

Even 61% of Liberal voters are against the Khadr settlement.

blacksmithden
07-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Why are they asking an Ontario judge anything ? Last I heard the terrorist was living at his lawyers place in Edmonton. Where is he now ?

RangeBob
07-13-2017, 12:31 PM
[I'm not sure]

Last I heard the terrorist was living at his lawyers place in Edmonton.
I'm pretty sure that's over. Bail condition requiring that was ended.

Where is he now ?
Isn't he in the Greater Toronto Area somewhere with his extended family ?

GonZo
07-13-2017, 12:41 PM
[I'm not sure]

I'm pretty sure that's over. Bail condition requiring that was ended.

Isn't he in the Greater Toronto Area somewhere with his extended family ?
All the news reports still say edmonton. Speers lawyer for canada is in toronto, thats why the ontario judge.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

blacksmithden
07-13-2017, 02:05 PM
The one thing to remember is that most judges are lawyers. If this judge upheld the US ruling, hed be relieving a fellow lawyer of his fee/percentage. Dont for one instant think that didnt come into the thought process.

Steveo9mm
07-13-2017, 03:00 PM
so we have a terrorist for hire lurking around our city? peachy.

Reeferman
07-13-2017, 04:15 PM
That judge either is or will be connected to the liberals. Would be interesting to know his/her history.

Billythreefeathers
07-13-2017, 04:31 PM
That judge either is or will be connected to the liberals. Would be interesting to know his/her history.

The Honourable Justice Edward Belobaba

Superior Court of Justice Ontario

JUSTICE EDWARD BELOBABA is with the Superior Court of Justice. He was educated atthe University of Waterloo; Osgoode Hall Law School (Gold Medalist), and OxfordUniversity (Viscount Bennett Scholarship). He clerked with Chief Justice BoraLaskin, Supreme Court of Canada. Justice Belobaba taught law as an AssociateProfessor and Associate Dean at Osgoode Hall Law School with York University.He previously practised law as a partner at Gowlings (litigation and internationalbusiness law) and was a principal of the Law Office of Edward Belobaba(opinions and appeals). He was co-founder and former editor-in-chief of theSupreme Court Law Review and has been involved with numerous publications. Hewas appointed to the Superior Court of Justice on May 5, 2005.

speedloader
07-13-2017, 06:49 PM
so hes a libtard then , who else would deny a military family and protect a criminal
from paying what he owes in the US UMM.... a Libtard thats who .....Turdeau and this dick head
but wait he saved us 40 mil he says ...... you just can't make this sh*t up I swear

RangeBob
07-13-2017, 07:49 PM
All the news reports still say edmonton.

Right. He's still living on the avails of his girlfriend, and she's in Edmonton.

JustBen
07-13-2017, 10:10 PM
I guess he won't ever be able to go to the states.

I suspect he will change his name and fade into anonymity if he doesn't pick up politics.

firemachine69
07-14-2017, 03:41 AM
The Crown was a freaking idiot. The basis for flight was Kahdr's lawyer was going to immediately receive 4 mil he didn't rightfully earn, and that scumbag Kahdr would never again in his life ever get even close to making that kind of money.

goosesniper
07-14-2017, 04:14 AM
Right. He's still living on the avails of his girlfriend, and she's in Edmonton.

I read she's a radical. Not sure if there is truth to that or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RangeBob
07-14-2017, 08:56 AM
that scumbag Kahdr would never again in his life ever get even close to making that kind of money.

In the CBC interview, Khadr said he'd applied for a couple of jobs and been told the next day that the company couldn't hire him because of his notoriety.
That he wanted to be a paramedic but discovered that wasn't for him, so he's learning how to be a nurse.
He said he's been doing volunteer work, but didn't specify where or at what.

Omar Khadr responds to $10.5M settlement and government apology
Jul 7, 2017. 10 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64FLd8p3Nh4

Lee Enfield
07-14-2017, 10:06 AM

Who is she???

Lee Enfield
07-14-2017, 10:08 AM
I guess he won't ever be able to go to the states.

I suspect he will change his name and fade into anonymity if he doesn't pick up politics.

I doubt anyone will forget his face.

RangeBob
07-14-2017, 10:12 AM
I doubt anyone will forget his face.

He said the same thing in his CBC interview.
The interviewer asked "Will you be getting your name changed?"
and Khadr answered "I'd still have the same face."
(paraphrased)

RangeBob
07-14-2017, 10:15 AM
Who is she???

April 18, 2016
Edmonton, Alberta

Longtime supporter Muna Abougoush wrote and visited the former Guantanamo Bay inmate while he was incarcerated in Canada

Former Guantanamo Bay inmate Omar Khadr, out on bail in Edmonton since last year, is getting married.

Postmedia News has confirmed the 29-year-old former child soldier will marry Edmonton human-rights activist Muna Abougoush, a longtime supporter who wrote and visited Khadr in prison during his time in Canadian custody.

Facebook posts congratulating the couple have quickly spread online.

“I am so happy to think you will be sharing your future together after so many years of shared past,” reads one message.

Abougoush is one of several women who started an international campaign for Khadr’s freedom. She helped launched a website to keep his story in the news and later began corresponding with and visiting him behind bars.

Abougoush told the Toronto Star in 2013 that she was nervous before her first meeting with Khadr: “This case that everyone had been talking about for over a decade was about to become a real person.”

She told the same paper a few years later that Khadr was maintaining a positive outlook despite his challenges.

“Omar is very forward-looking, concentrating on his future. He doesn’t hold grudges. He knows if he hangs on to the negativity of the past he can’t move forward,” she said in May, 2015.

Khadr was released on bail last year after spending more than a decade behind bars in both U.S. and Canadian custody, including eight years at the Guantanamo Bay detention centre in Cuba.

Since then he has been living in the west Edmonton home of his lawyer, Dennis Edney, as he studies to become an emergency medical responder and reintegrates into Canadian life.

The U.S. military captured a badly wounded Khadr after a firefight in Afghanistan in 2002 when he was 15 years old. He was quickly sent to Guantanamo Bay, where he was tried for war crimes by a military court.

Khadr eventually pleaded guilty in October 2010 to five war crimes, including the murder of a U.S. soldier, but later said he entered the plea only to escape the notorious prison, which has come under intense international scrutiny for its trial treatment of detainees.

He was given an eight-year sentence after his plea and was transferred to an Alberta prison in 2012 under an international treaty.

Khadr is appealing his U.S. war-crimes convictions. He was granted bail in May by the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, which ruled he posed no threat to the community.

Since then his bail conditions have been relaxed further to allow Khadr to leave the house after midnight for employment or educational commitments.

hxxp://nationalpost.com/news/canada/omar-khadr-marrying-edmonton-human-rights-activist-who-helped-him-gain-his-freedom/

-------------------

Khadr is engaged to Muna Abougoush, an Edmonton-based human-rights advocate who helped launch an international campaign to free him and who corresponded with him while he was in prison
-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khadr