PDA

View Full Version : Trudeau Suggests He Won't Intervene In Troubled Inquiry Into Missing, Murdered Indigenous Women

Billythreefeathers
07-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Trudeau Suggests He Won't Intervene In Troubled Inquiry Into Missing, Murdered Indigenous Women

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/07/13/trudeau-suggests-he-wont-intervene-in-troubled-inquiry-into-mis_a_23028854/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

OTTAWA Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is giving no indication he is willing to intervene to calm rising frustrations around the independent inquiry his government launched to examine the issue of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.

The two-year process designed to examine systemic causes of prevalent violence has been heavily scrutinized, especially this week, after one of five commissioners decided to call it quits. Some families are now calling for a complete reboot of the process.

But during a news conference Thursday, Trudeau said his government will engage with the existing commission to ensure it is responding to concerns of families.

"I have had the privilege of sitting down with families in various ceremonies across the country over the past years where we've cried and shared stories and looked for hope and healing," he said.

"I think everyone recognizes the tremendously difficult task that any national public inquiry into this was going to face."

Marilyn Poitras, a Metis professor from Saskatchewan, said she felt regret and a "heavy heart" as she made her decision to resign, saying she strongly feels the terms of reference for the inquiry "have not been met."

'The time has come to restart this top-down inquiry'

While the commission has tried to assure the public it will move ahead despite Poitras' resignation and the departure of other staff members, a coalition of frustrated families think it's time to start over.

Some of their concerns include a lack of information about how the inquiry's hearings will work and fears they will retraumatize vulnerable survivors and loved ones.

They also wonder why the commission held only a single hearing in Whitehorse in the span of almost a year.

"We are asking you, prime minister, to live by your words to build nation-to-nation relationships," the group said in a letter to Trudeau circulated Thursday. "The time has come to restart this top-down inquiry and rebuild it from the ground up."
X

Members of a national advisory circle a group asked by the commission to provide feedback and advice issued their own statement Thursday urging other families to "lift each other up" during the inquiry.

"The commissioners had to start the national inquiry from nothing and they are learning as they go as we all are," they said.

"The process is not perfect but nothing ever is ... it is imperative that the national inquiry continues with its work plans."

The Liberal government has earmarked $53.8 million for the commission. An interim report is expected in November.

Chief commissioner Marion Buller has said more time and funding will be required but she cannot say when a formal request will be made to Ottawa.

'We are just unhappy'

On Tuesday, the four remaining commissioners had met with about a dozen family members in at a Toronto hotel, where they received an earful about how the current study is going. Indigenous Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett also had a separate meeting with families.

Bridget Tolley, who has spent 16 years searching for answers in the death of her mother Gladys, was in the room and said the commission needs to demonstrate it is willing to respect everyone's concerns.

"We are not critics," Tolley said.

"We are just unhappy family members with the way it's going ... I'm hurting, I don't know what else to do, I don't know where to go. What do we do?"

Billythreefeathers
07-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Trudeau Suggests He hasn't got a clue

FlyingHigh
07-14-2017, 08:04 AM
Such a waste of time. I can't blame the semi-trained retarded monkey for not intervening. There's nothing to intervene into. Contrary to how badly the indians want it to be true, this isn't a case of white men killing indians. It's primarily indian on indian violence.

I'm about done with their crap. Time to shut if all down and spend money on better stuff. $53.8 million dollars being flushed down the toilet. Canada has a population of 35.85 million (2015 stat). Why doesn't the government cut every person in the country a $1,000,000 check? It'd be a hell of a better use of money and it'd save us almost $18 million dollars.

kennymo
07-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Such a waste of time. I can't blame the semi-trained retarded monkey for not intervening. There's nothing to intervene into. Contrary to how badly the indians want it to be true, this isn't a case of white men killing indians. It's primarily indian on indian violence.

I'm about done with their crap. Time to shut if all down and spend money on better stuff. $53.8 million dollars being flushed down the toilet. Canada has a population of 35.85 million (2015 stat). Why doesn't the government cut every person in the country a $1,000,000 check? It'd be a hell of a better use of money and it'd save us almost $18 million dollars.

I think you need another cup of coffee for them math skills to kick in....

Mark-II
07-14-2017, 08:31 AM
I have ever understood exactly what this was supposed to discover that a study of police case files couldn't tell you.

Government make-work project that began with a conclusion and was to work back from it to make the story fit, was my take on it. Social justice wankery.

FlyingHigh
07-14-2017, 08:55 AM
I think you need another cup of coffee for them math skills to kick in....

58.8 (the money pissed away) divided by 35.85 (population of Canada) = 1.500

Round down to a nice even number, 1. This way we can save the taxpayers money.

35.85 (population) x 1 million (dollars per person) = 35.85 million

53.8 (money pissed away) - 35.85 (money given to Canadians) = 17.95 (money left over)

I therefore conclude that rather than pissing away 53.8 million, the gov could instead pay each Canadian $1 million and have a surplus of nearly $18 million.

Pretty sure my math is right. But I will happily follow your suggestion and have another cup of coffee

RangeBob
07-14-2017, 09:27 AM
I have ever understood exactly what this was supposed to discover that a study of police case files couldn't tell you.

They use different techniques to locate missing likely murdered aboriginal women.

The police have people who go to every community for each & every individual case. They interview everyone, sometimes quite forcefully, who seems remotely related to the case. Relatives, acquaintances, people who were nearby (as shown by other witnesses, human and electronic). They seek out people who didn't like the victim. They also look into the victim's personal information, in case the 'victim' isn't so much a victim as some flavour of runaway. They look into a myriad of other possibilities that I haven't mentioned, as the evidence leads them. They try to do all this within hours, because according to the TV show if it takes longer than 48 hours that it's less likely to solve, because people have forgotten and the trail has gone cold and even dogs can't pick up the scent. They look logically, and emotionally, at every rock -- spending up to a million dollars for each murder investigating. They enlist the assistance of tribal elders to instigate their own methods of assistance, along with a number of informants. They educate themselves by keeping abreast of the all, be they the best or the worst or anything in between, the investigative techniques from their peers across the world. Proud of their hard fought tradition of "The Mounties always get their man!"

Whereas

justin hired five 'Good Liberals and True', gave them a mandate to 'look into missing likely murdered aboriginal women' and prevent such from happening again while respecting the will of the chiefs, and that they should meet in hotel rooms and talk to anyone who cared to visit. That the single most important people to interview where those who didn't know what was going on, had no evidence to share, no clues to offer, no information, but were upset about their lack of knowing what was going on, upset that they had no evidence, and upset that they had no clues. He gave the five the power to compel witnesses to appear and testify, within the limits of being "informal and trauma-informed, respecting the individuals". Because these were the parameters justin had promised during the election, the techniques that had served him well his entire life, and it never occurred to him that it wouldn't work. At least not until he was told that he should have thought that "everyone recognizes the tremendously difficult task that any national public inquiry into this was going to face" given these limitations put upon them.

Here's their mandate
https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1470140972428/1470141043933

Here's their authority, "Inquiries Act (1985)"
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-11/page-1.html

As opposed to,
2004–2006 – Commission of Inquiry into the Sponsorship Program and Advertising Activities (The Gomery Commission), which was headed by a Justice (John Gomery).
-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_Royal_Commissions

or

The job of a professionally conducted enquiry is to unearth a great mass of no evidence.
-- Sir Humphrey Appleby, "Yes Minister"

- The enquiry gives us some time.
- So does a time-bomb!
- Couldn't we get the independent enquiry to exonerate us?
- Do you mean rig it?
- No, no, no, no! ... Well... yes.
-- "Yes Minster"

At the Ministry Sir Humphrey is outraged that Jim Hacker agreed to a full independent inquiry. They both agree that this inquiry is not in their best interest and the inquiry should exonerate the department. Appointing Sir Maurice Williams as chairman of the inquiry should achieve this, since he is looking for a peerage.
-- The Compassionate Society, "Yes Minister"

Billythreefeathers
07-14-2017, 09:34 AM
waste of tax payers money,, there's the report;

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/aboriginal-autochtone/mmaw-fada-eng.htm

joe6167
07-14-2017, 09:43 AM
58.8 (the money pissed away) divided by 35.85 (population of Canada) = 1.500

Round down to a nice even number, 1. This way we can save the taxpayers money.

35.85 (population) x 1 million (dollars per person) = 35.85 million

53.8 (money pissed away) - 35.85 (money given to Canadians) = 17.95 (money left over)

I therefore conclude that rather than pissing away 53.8 million, the gov could instead pay each Canadian $1 million and have a surplus of nearly $18 million.

Pretty sure my math is right. But I will happily follow your suggestion and have another cup of coffee

There are slightly more than "35.85" people in Canada... probably closer to 35,850,000, so it's:

35,850,000 x $1,000,000 = $35,850,000,000,000, in other words 35.85 TRILLION dollars....

Unless you want to cut everyone a cheque for $1.64 ($53,800,000/35,800,000=$1.64)

RangeBob
07-14-2017, 09:52 AM
waste of tax payers money,, there's the report;

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/aboriginal-autochtone/mmaw-fada-eng.htm

Going back a little further, there's
1991–1996 – Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples
and of course the ever present
Ministry of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada.

Lee Enfield
07-14-2017, 09:57 AM
We all know Moonbeam promised this for votes.

FlyingHigh
07-14-2017, 01:07 PM
There are slightly more than "35.85" people in Canada... probably closer to 35,850,000, so it's:

35,850,000 x $1,000,000 = $35,850,000,000,000, in other words 35.85 TRILLION dollars....

Unless you want to cut everyone a cheque for $1.64 ($53,800,000/35,800,000=$1.64)

Damn. You're right. I disregarded the million in my calculations. Holy crap...it's not my day today. Ok...time for a FOURTH cup of coffee apparently. I'll sit down and shut up now. LOL.

I'd still rather get a cheque for $1.64 than spend $53.8 million looking for a problem that isn't there though...