PDA

View Full Version : Siemens closes wind turbine plant in Tillsonburg — 340 green energy jobs gone

soulchaser
07-18-2017, 10:05 PM
Siemens closes wind turbine plant in Tillsonburg — 340 green energy jobs gone

Postmedia News
July 18, 2017
12:16 PM EDT
By London Free Press staff

The closing raises new questions about the fallout from Ontario’s controversial green-energy policy

TILLSONBURG — Siemens Canada is closing its wind-turbine plant here, slashing more than 340 jobs and shuttering one of the town’s largest employers.

The closing, announced by the company Tuesday, comes after weeks of nervous speculation and one day of public debate over the factory, which was locked to employees Sunday night.

Its 340 employees were called to a meeting with the company Tuesday.

“This was a very difficult decision that was taken only after assessing all the options,” said David Hickey, head of Siemens Gamesa Business in Canada. “We have a great team of employees at the plant who have produced quality work for the last six years, and we sincerely appreciate their efforts.”

The closing raises new questions about the fallout from Ontario’s controversial green-energy policy. Siemens was one of four green-energy plants lured to Ontario under a controversial multibillion-dollar provincial deal with Korean industrial giant Samsung.

Outside the factory Tuesday, one employee talked about the frustration felt by he and his colleagues.

“There was quite a bit of anger in there because they shut the place down the other night and never really told anybody about it,” said Rick, who asked his last name not be published. “It was bang, everything was locked down.”

A four-year Siemens employee said workers who called the plant’s sick line during the weekend were told there was no production Monday and were to attend a morning meeting Tuesday at the town’s community centre.

“It was the joke around there that they were just going to lock the doors, but we didn’t think it was going to happen,” said the man, who did not want to give his name.

Ontario – where electricity prices have basically doubled over the last decade, and where the energy file has become hugely political heading into next year’s election – had started the process to contract for an additional 600 megawatts of wind energy, requiring construction of about a dozen new wind farms.

But amid rising criticism and reports indicated that Ontario will have enough generation capacity for at least a decade, the Liberal government suspended plans for new projects in September.

Projects already in development weren’t affected.

“Clearly, the Liberal government should be working to build and promote our manufacturing sector — not set up situations where we’re losing these jobs,” said MPP Peter Tabuns, the NDP energy critic at Queen’s Park.

“There seems to be a growing disinterest on the part of the Liberals to actually invest in green energy. I think that may well lock us out of where the rest of the world is going in terms of energy technology,” said the Toronto MPP.

Conservative energy critic Todd Smith, the MPP for Prince Edward Hastings, couldn’t be reached for comment.

The Canadian Wind Energy Association, an industry umbrella group, says the market remains healthy in Ontario, regardless of the news from Siemens.

Despite the province’s decision last fall to suspend new projects, there are orders to fill in Ontario and bids for projects in Alberta and Saskatchewan, said Brandy Giannetta, CanWea’s Ontario regional director.

“The outlook is positive,” Giannetta said, declining to comment on the Siemens situation specifically.

In 2010, four plants to make parts for wind and energy farms were set up under the Samsung deal between the company and the province to generate power for Ontario and create manufacturing jobs in green energy.

The four plants were to create about 900 jobs.

In exchange, Ontario agreed to buy heavily subsidized power from Samsung wind and solar projects and guarantee the company space on the province’s crowded electricity transmission grid.

The Liberal government, sharply criticized over the cost of the agreement, later renegotiated it after the company missed some deadlines, slashing by more than one-third the nearly $10 billion in power it had agreed to buy and reducing to $5 billion from $7 billion Samsung’s investment commitment.

While wind energy has its supporters, fierce opposition in rural communities – especially in Southwestern Ontario, home to the largest number of wind turbines in Ontario and the largest wind farms – remains and helped defeat two prominent Liberal cabinet ministers in the region in the 2011 election.

Much of the opposition has focused on the loss of local control, taken away by the province, over where the mega-projects can be built.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/siemens-closes-wind-turbine-plant-in-tillsonburg-340-green-energy-jobs-gone/wcm/42c49f01-d7a0-4a98-8339-e0c2478fbc9e

soulchaser
07-18-2017, 10:06 PM
Gubment subsidies must have run out.

SeirX
07-18-2017, 10:14 PM
Not sure if I believe "Rick LastNameWithheld".. my [ex]girlfriend's dad worked the Siemens' plant in Hamilton for decades, and they shut down ...2015? 2016? It took them a full year to shunt work to other plants and shut the place down, over 1,000 employees now [then] unemployed. Siemens is/was unionized - nothing gets done `bang, overnight`.
While I can't speak for the Tillsonburg location, I'm told the Hamilton one was shut down to be headed to the US.

Still.. Tillsonburg is no mecca of industry and economic power, IIRC[I spent too much time in Woodstock], it's still mostly farms in the area.
My major curiosity in this whole thing is..when will the government realize that Ontario is not a sustainable/reliable place for `wind energy`??
Out on the coast, or perhaps the prairies, where wind can run strong and unimpeded and crank out the juice. [I am aware of some...structural issues... with current turbine designs for strong winds, though]

RyoTHC
07-18-2017, 10:18 PM
I used to live in that town... almost ashamed to admit that.... but anyone who was too simple to realize that plant was only building windmills for the peninsula in SW Ontario deserved a wakeup call... they obviously aren't going to ship those giant blades over large distances so what did they think was going to happen as they kept pumping them out? I remember when they were all excited to start up a second shift.... only meant the finite number of blades needed was met 2x as fast and they would all be out of work at that same pace. ...

It's a shame most folk don't look at the bigger picture, ever.

blacksmithden
07-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Gubment subsidies must have run out.

It's not such a big secret that the "green energy movement" as a whole is an incredible drain on government coffers, and it can't survive in a non-welfare business economy....aka: the real world.

firemachine69
07-19-2017, 03:41 AM
I used to live in that town... almost ashamed to admit that.... but anyone who was too simple to realize that plant was only building windmills for the peninsula in SW Ontario deserved a wakeup call... they obviously aren't going to ship those giant blades over large distances so what did they think was going to happen as they kept pumping them out? I remember when they were all excited to start up a second shift.... only meant the finite number of blades needed was met 2x as fast and they would all be out of work at that same pace. ...

It's a shame most folk don't look at the bigger picture, ever.

Ontario voters tend to not be very deep thinkers.

Waterloomike
07-19-2017, 05:46 AM
Beware westerners. Bad ideas from Ontario liberals coming west. Bad ideas from stupid people.

My gawd libs at the helm of anything at all, is a ship that will sink. With the captain walking away well off.

FallisCowboy
07-19-2017, 06:50 AM
My gawd libs at the helm of anything at all, is a ship that will sink. With the captain walking away well off.

I have always believed that our government representatives should be paid out of the surplus each year, ie.run a deficit...no pay. Unfortunately nowadays, they are the first to get their outrageous salaries and pensions; as well as the first to bailout ,with no downside to their obvious incompetence in office.

Waterloomike
07-19-2017, 07:36 AM
I like the idea and think it's a good one.

Having said that, the crooked bastards will find a way to run huge surpluses with woefully enormous unnecessary taxation and split it among themselves.

Trudeau likes china's government. They execute crooks. See how well he likes that.

M1917 Enfield
07-19-2017, 10:55 AM
If anyone is interested in the real time by generation type electricity production figures for Ontario go here - http://www.ieso.ca/power-data

It is a shock to see how little is produced for such a huge cost of taxpayers and ratepayers money!

Example - Lieberals using taxpayers money while subsidizing "green" electricity prices to the tune of $24 billion, which will likely eventually cost Ontarians up to $93 billion, according to Ontario Financial Accountability Officer Stephen LeClair in his 15 page report!

"The Liberal government’s “Fair Hydro Plan,” which lowers electricity bills by 25 per cent, will ultimately zap Ontarians to the tune of $21 billion over the next three decades, the province’s budget watchdog has found.

In a 15-page report released Wednesday, Financial Accountability Officer Stephen LeClair said the scheme will cost the province $45 billion over the next 29 years while saving ratepayers $24 billion for a $21-billion net expense.

But LeClair warned his estimates are only applicable if “the province is able to achieve and maintain a balanced budget over 29 years.” The cost of the subsidy could balloon to between $69 billion and $93 billion if the government has to borrow to pay for it."

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/05/24/hydro-rate-cut-will-ultimately-cost-21b-watchdog-warns.html

https://financialpostbusiness.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/energy-reality.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&w=716

https://cna.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Energy-cost-per-kWh-2017.png

https://cna.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/nuclear-expense-michelle-01-1024x788.png

http://environmentaldefence.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ElectricityRates_FBLinkShare_v2b.png

http://storage.lfpress.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1341707729313_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x&stmp=1370033677761

http://www.alliantenergykids.com/wcm/groups/wcm_internet/documents/digitalmedia/mdaw/mdmx/~edisp/031241.jpg

http://www.fatihhaber.com/resimler/images/enerji4.jpg

RangeBob
07-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Ontario Hydro is 3 semi-crown corporations
1) Hydro One (transmission), revenue $6.538 billion per year (2015)
2) Ontario Power Generation, revenue $4.73 billion per year (2012)
3) Independent Electricity System Operator and Ontario Power Authority, revenue $436 million (2016)
Total: $11.7 billion
Ontario population: 13.6 million
$860 per person (man, woman, child) per year.

-------------------

Whatever greenhouse gas emissions were saved by Ontario, were lost by Alberta, 2005 vs 2013.

Chart #3 at
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/ontario-budget-cheat-sheet-seven-charts-you-should-readfirst/article28833955/

blacksmithden
07-19-2017, 12:23 PM
The chain reaction failure of Ontario's economy is happening right here and now, right before our eyes. History will look back and quote this run of liberal rule as the time when the debt genie was let out of the bottle. This is the point when the pin has been pulled and it cant be stopped. Sadly, when the government is finally forced to declare the provinces debt as insolvent, the entire country will be forced to service it.

Strewth
07-19-2017, 03:11 PM
. Sadly, when the government is finally forced to declare the provinces debt as insolvent, the entire country will be forced to service it.

Oh good! Extra transfer payments! Should be right in time for the next uptick in oil prices when the oil sands get back on line.

dogzilla
07-19-2017, 03:37 PM
Well at least those trucks hauling the blades won't be clogging up the intersections anymore. Its interesting to watch the first time. I live fairly close to tburg and I use to deliver to the plant. I'm sorry some people are out of work, but nobody wanted these things in their backyard to start with.

FALover
07-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Do I feel sorry for the common folks losing their jobs? Almost. Did they not realize that their occupation was based on workfare? Subsidized company paying employees with subsidized wages and then forcing taxpayers to purchase the end product (electricity) at hyper-inflated rate? Should have tanked a long time ago but kickbacks and cronyism kept it going.

Carguy2550
07-19-2017, 05:34 PM
The chain reaction failure of Ontario's economy is happening right here and now, right before our eyes. History will look back and quote this run of liberal rule as the time when the debt genie was let out of the bottle. This is the point when the pin has been pulled and it cant be stopped. Sadly, when the government is finally forced to declare the provinces debt as insolvent, the entire country will be forced to service it.

As long as us grown ups in western Canada are put in charge there will be no problem. Ontario must not be allowed to have any further said in confederation. Declare them bankrupt and let the rest of us deal with the receivership.

VooDoo
07-19-2017, 08:32 PM
http://morningmail.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/green-energy-300x203.jpg