PDA

View Full Version : PMO has no comment on Julie Payette's expunged 2011 assault charge

soulchaser
07-18-2017, 10:55 PM
PMO has no comment on Julie Payette's expunged 2011 assault charge

Governor General Designate Julie Payette was charged with second-degree assault while living in Maryland in 2011 — a charge she calls ‘unfounded’ and which she has since had expunged — and about which the Prime Minister’s Office is refusing to confirm it had prior knowledge.

“We’ve got no comment on this,” Kate Purchase, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s director of communications, said in an email. She would not confirm whether Trudeau had been aware of the almost six-year-old criminal charge relating to an alleged assault — a charge that was ultimately dropped — before he announced that Payette would replace David Johnston as Canada’s new governor-general.

Late yesterday, Payette acknowledged the arrest and charges, but strongly stated her innocence.

“‎For family and personal reasons, I will not comment on these unfounded charges, of which I was immediately and completely cleared many years ago, and I hope that people will respect my private life,” she said in a statement provided to iPolitics.

In a routine background check, iPolitics found the record of the assault charge. The record shows Payette was arrested and charged under Section 3-203 of the Maryland Code with second-degree assault, which can carry a jail term of up to 10 years and fines up to $2,500. The charge was dropped two weeks later.

The alleged offence for which she was charged took place on November 24, 2011 in Piney Point, Maryland, where Payette was living with her then-husband, retired RCAF pilot William “Billie” Flynn. According to a source, Flynn was the victim of the alleged assault, but that has not been confirmed. Efforts to reach Flynn for comment over the weekend went unanswered.

Flynn spent 23 years with the Royal Canadian Air Force before becoming a test pilot for Lockheed-Martin in 2003 and an outspoken advocate of the F-35 fighter jet.

Payette and Flynn split shortly after the November 2011 incident and Maryland’s St. Mary’s County Circuit Court records show two family court cases filed on May 22, 2013 and June 26, 2013 — both of which are now closed.

The records include court documents related to “Custody or Visitation Issues” (Payette is the mother of a 14-year-old son) and a “Motion for Earnings Withholding Order for Child Support” that was filed on Payette’s behalf on March 10, 2017.

Payette requested to withdraw that motion on June 13. It was only dismissed without prejudice on June 28, 2017, just a little more than two weeks before she was officially announced as Johnston’s successor.

A second-degree assault charge is most commonly applied when someone is accused of having caused “physical injury” to another person. It can also be applied when the accused made someone “fearful of harm.”

The background search record shows that on December 8, 2011 the assault case was entered nolle prosequi, meaning the prosecutor opted to not proceed with the charges. This most commonly occurs in domestic disputes because the victim refuses to press charges, witnesses recant, or the district attorney sees little chance of conviction. There’s no explanation in the background records obtained by iPolitics of what transpired or why the charge was dropped.

Under Maryland law, an individual can file a petition for expungement based on a nolle prosequi after three years — or within three years if the individual files a “General Waiver and Release of all legal claims”.

If an expungement is granted, the public is no longer able to view the record. The Maryland Judiciary Case Search doesn’t reveal one.

According to a Maryland Judiciary background document on removing criminal records from public access, however, even after a record has been expunged, it may continue to be visible to individuals performing background checks.

“Some companies and agencies download case information and retain it for a long period of time. If they have access to older data, they may find the information which has since been expunged,” the document says. “If you are asked about expunged information, you may need to provide a copy of the court order to prove the record has been expunged.”

Based on the background record obtained by iPolitics, Michael H. Gardiner, a lieutenant in St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office said, “it appears the case may have been expunged.”

A 53-year-old Montrealer who worked as an astronaut from 1992 to 2013 and flew two missions in space, Payette brings an impressive CV to Rideau Hall that includes 27 honorary doctorates in addition to her bachelor of electrical engineering from McGill University and master’s in computer engineering from the University of Toronto.

Last Thursday, Trudeau called her a role model.

“Ms. Payette’s life has been one dedicated to discovery, to dreaming big and to always staying focused on the things that matter most. These truly Canadian traits, along with her years of public service, make her unquestionably qualified for this high office.”

She’s expected to assume the position, which comes with a $290,660 annual salary, in the fall.

From 2011 to 2013, according to her biographical notes on the prime minister’s website, she worked as a scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, D.C., and was appointed scientific authority for Quebec in the United States.

She is a Knight of the Ordre national du Québec and an Officer of the Order of Canada and serves on a variety of boards.

“Many of you probably remember watching Ms. Payette and seven other prominent Canadians as they carried the Olympic flag during the opening ceremonies in Vancouver in 2010,” Trudeau said last week when he introduced her.

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/07/18/pmo-has-no-comment-on-julie-payettes-expunged-2011-assault-charge/

soulchaser
07-18-2017, 10:55 PM
“We’ve got no comment on this,” Kate Purchase, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s director of communications, said in an email. She would not confirm whether Trudeau had been aware of the almost six-year-old criminal charge relating to an alleged assault — a charge that was ultimately dropped — before he announced that Payette would replace David Johnston as Canada’s new governor-general."

More Trudeau government transparency I see...

If they did a security background check, this should have come up.

And if the new GG appointee was a man and this had come to light, even expunged domestic assault charges would have him no longer the GG appointee.

Swingerguy
07-19-2017, 12:20 AM
“Ms. Payette’s life has been one dedicated to discovery, to dreaming big and to always staying focused on the things that matter most. These truly Canadian traits, along with her years of public service, make her unquestionably qualified for this high office.”

I was under the impression that we Canadians had no traits.?

triq
07-19-2017, 07:10 AM
Justine better not elbow her in the t!ts. She's likely to kick his a$$!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

sltoronto
07-19-2017, 07:30 AM
“‎For family and personal reasons, I will not comment on these unfounded charges, of which I was immediately and completely cleared many years ago, and I hope that people will respect my private life,” she said in a statement provided to iPolitics.

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/07/18/pmo-has-no-comment-on-julie-payettes-expunged-2011-assault-charge/

She wants to be the GG and has expectations of "private life" ?

So, when did she stop beating up her current/former partners/husbands?

Dismissed charge is not an acquittal ...

Canada_Phil
07-19-2017, 07:35 AM
It could be worse....

It's not like she drove non-stop across multiple States wearing a diaper on her way to murder her rival in an astronaut love triangle.

She just knocked her husband around a little. Must be a quirky Francophone thing.

Diversity!!

Waterloomike
07-19-2017, 07:38 AM
Lots of drama among astronauts. Garneau's wife committed suicide.

Maybe he had it coming.

glockfan
07-19-2017, 07:49 AM
seriously, this story is bullcrapp. who cares!! husband probably got an eye and a paw on another female astronaut and julie went mad lol .

as badly as i want to see the turd and co getting rolled over by a truck , i think this little insignifiant stain on Julie 's record is sweet bustin nothing , payette holds on a CV that only a few can display.

soulchaser
07-19-2017, 08:35 AM
seriously, this story is bullcrapp. who cares!!

Not the point.

I posted the story for the Liberal reaction. How hard would it have been to say "Yes we were aware and investigated the alleged incident fully and are satisfied there is nothing there"

Instead we get "We aren't going to comment".

And ask youself what the Liberal and media reaction would be if this was a Conservative appointee? They, and EVERY media outlet would be demanding the appointment be recinded.

Take Rob Ford fo example. His wife filed domestic assault charges against him. The Crown dropped all charges because of "serious inconsistencies" in her story (she was drunk off her ass when she made the claim) But the media and liberals forever branded him a wife beater.

glockfan
07-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Not the point.

I posted the story for the Liberal reaction. How hard would it have been to say "Yes we were aware and investigated the alleged incident fully and are satisfied there is nothing there"

And ask youself what the Liberal and media reaction would be if this was a Conservative appointee? They, and EVERY media outlet would be demanding the appointment be recinded.

Take Rob Ford fo example. His wife filed domestic assault charges against him. The Crown dropped all charges because of "serious inconsistencies" in her story (she was drunk off her ass when she made the claim) But the media and liberals forever branded him a wife beater.

^^^^
the liberal reaction was fully expected.

liberals can't do wrong.

and when they do, either they don't say a word which to me is an admission (like the anti gun crowd when you lock them under a pile of evidences and stats ; tears is then the only exit ) ,OR they offer a ridiculously infantile explanation nobody believes, but wtf, the extreme left UN paid medias are there to cover their butthole (from where the words are coming out.) since liberals across the planet are their best first line tools ; as corrupted as they are , always willing to work at finding new ways to fool and stole people hard earned money ..

typically lieberal of the last 4 decades.

Yogi05
07-19-2017, 10:50 AM
she worked as a scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington

Same org Rona Ambrose went to? (Just saying)

soulchaser
07-19-2017, 10:38 PM
Hmm...

Hearing the Maryland incident was actually Payette stabbing her now ex-husband. Maybe that's why Trudeau is refusing to answer any questions about this.

More dirt may be coming on Payette.

Rory McCanuck
07-19-2017, 11:22 PM
Lol, everything Dreamy McVaccuous touches just turns to shit.
Maybe he'll do what's best for the country and simply stop doing anything until he gets thrown out.

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

Swampdonkey
07-19-2017, 11:45 PM
Lol, everything Dreamy McVaccuous touches just turns to shit.
Maybe he'll do what's best for the country and simply stop doing anything until he gets thrown out.

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

I think that's why people vote Liberal - failed, messed-up lifestyles are what they know, and JT is the man they identify with. Stephen Harper was better than them, and it made them angry.

blacksmithden
07-20-2017, 12:05 AM
It sounds like our new GG might have a bit of a hidden temper issue. One way or the other, like Soulchaser said....the liberal reaction is just one more pathetic example of them screwing up, and then dealing with it by not dealing with it. Standard practice for those who have no business being in the positions they're in.

Doug_M
07-20-2017, 04:09 AM
Not the point.

Seems the only descent reporter at CBC agrees.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/trudeau-payette-charge-1.4212817

Trudeau's silence on Payette's expunged assault charge shows double standard: Robyn Urback
Trudeau was forthright in the past about unproven allegations concerning his MPs. Why so quiet now?

By*Robyn Urback, CBC News Posted: Jul 20, 2017 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 20, 2017 5:00 AM ET

Until artificial intelligence progresses to the point where intelligent machines*take over our Westminster system (yes, I'm scared, too), we will continue to appoint flawed humans to important government posts.

Some of these people will come with pasts more fraught than others, but show me a closet without a skeleton and chances are there's a rug nearby with an ugly lump.

That's why I look at the expunged assault charge for governor general-designate Julie Payette, as reported Tuesday by iPolitics, with little more than a shrug.

It is newsworthy, certainly: there is hardly a compelling reason why the news that Canada's next governor general once faced a second-degree assault charge ought to be kept from Canadians, other than perhaps for Payette's personal privacy, though that's generally forfeited when assuming as high profile a role as representative of the Queen.

If we take Payette at her word that the 2011 charge*was "unfounded," then it should constitute a mere line or two in her biography, and certainly*not*disqualify*her from her soon-to-be-assumed role. The charge was*laid, quickly dropped and subsequently expunged, according to reports.*See "flawed humans," above.*

What makes the story exceptional, however, is the prime minister's reluctance to address the report with anything beyond a cursory "no comment." Indeed, when pressed by iPolitics, Kate Purchase, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's director of communications, said simply: "We've got no comment on this." She also would not confirm whether the prime minister was aware of the charge before appointing Payette*(though it's difficult to imagine he wasn't, considering*the way candidates*for the post are vetted).

In a thoughtful column for iPolitics, Susan Delacourt posited that Trudeau's response might not have been so nonchalant had reports surfaced of a male governor general-designate with an expunged assault charge in his history.

"It brings up a thought-provoking question," she wrote. "Could the PMO simply say 'no comment' in response to reports about an assault charge involving a male appointee?"

"Probably not," she answers. "Let's all cast our minds back to Trudeau's delivery of swift justice against two former Liberal MPs accused of pressing unwelcome advances against two female New Democrat MPs."

Delacourt ends the discussion there, but I think it merits a more detailed comparison.

In the case of those two former Liberal MPs — Scott Andrews and Massimo Pacetti — there were no actual charges levelled against them when the news broke*back in November 2014. In fact, the internal investigation of the matter came only*after Trudeau*announced that the pair would be suspended from caucus because of "allegations of serious misconduct."

At the time, the MPs hadn't even been informed of the specific allegations against them. Nevertheless, Trudeau stood before cameras to declare that he would "give the benefit of the doubt to those who come forward."
Months went by and one of the original accusers gave a detailed account of a sexual encounter with Pacetti to Huffington Post Canada, while a Toronto human rights lawyer hired by Trudeau*conducted an independent investigation into the allegations.

Finally, in March, Pacetti and Andrews were informed — via media leaks, not from their party, and before they had a chance to look at the final report from the external investigator*— that they would be permanently booted from the Liberals. Trudeau confirmed the news shortly thereafter.

There are obvious differences between the Payette case and that of Pacetti and Andrews, the most significant of which being that the allegations against the latter two concern their conduct while in office, not six years prior.*But the chief point here is that when Trudeau made that first public statement back in November 2014, the allegations against them were unproven.

Yet instead of quietly investigating the matter before going public, Trudeau opted for*what was likely the more politically expedient move: he talked about them publicly — remarking on*the importance of individuals coming forward, and about*power dynamics, and about safe workplaces — even if it helped prematurely convict the MPs in the court of public opinion.
It's not a perfect comparison, but the difference in approach is striking: a couple of men were treated as guilty before we knew the facts, and Trudeau*jumped in front of the microphone at seemingly the first available opportunity. But now, with a woman at the centre of the controversy, he's totally mum. It's all the more bizarre considering that, in the eyes of the law, Payette's case is settled.**

It's not far-fetched to think*that if it was discovered that a male governor general had an assault charge in his past, Trudeau would seize the opportunity to evangelize about male aggression and domestic violence. Then again, I don't think Trudeau would appoint a male governor general with a past assault charge —*even one that had been dropped and expunged —*in the first place.

Payette's*past shouldn't disqualify her from the role of governor general, but it shouldn't be ignored by the prime minister, either. Trudeau*was eager to get his comments in before; he hardly has a good reason for staying quiet now.*

sltoronto
07-20-2017, 06:10 AM
"Dropped and expunged" is not the same as acquitted and/or innocent ...

it means unproven being possible by many reasons - the husband decided not to press charges, political interference, etc

Billythreefeathers
07-20-2017, 06:40 AM
ahhh,,, summer time, you'd think he'd be keeping a lower profile,, but nope the shit just keeps piling on :)

awndray
07-20-2017, 06:58 AM
I honestly don't see what the problem is. A charge is not a conviction.

Is any of it really our business?

* Edit *

Now reading Doug's latest post. Makes sense. Kinda like going public with the fact that one smoked weed even if it was illegal, I suppose. If you're okay divulging that, then why not tell us the story of something you're not guilty of?

soulchaser
07-20-2017, 08:17 AM
More dirt may be coming on Payette.

Future Governor General Julie Payette involved in fatal collision months before assault charge in Maryland

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/07/19/future-gg-involved-in-fatal-accident-months-before-assault-charge-in-maryland.html

Seems she was cleared of any fault in the death of the woman, but still, the media now smell blood in the water. Let's see what else they find....

soulchaser
07-20-2017, 08:20 AM
"In a thoughtful column for iPolitics, Susan Delacourt posited that Trudeau's response might not have been so nonchalant had reports surfaced of a male governor general-designate with an expunged assault charge in his history.

"It brings up a thought-provoking question," she wrote. "Could the PMO simply say 'no comment' in response to reports about an assault charge involving a male appointee?"

Susan Delacourt is being critical of Trudeau? SUSAN DELACOURT!!! Never thought I'd see that.

TheHydrant
07-20-2017, 08:27 AM
So the husband and wife had a fight. She likely threw something at him like her shoe or a vase (or a knife). Cops were called, he dropped the charges but divorced her ass instead.
I totally get it. Couples fight sometimes.
Next candidate, please!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

soulchaser
07-20-2017, 09:01 AM
So the husband and wife had a fight. She likely threw something at him like her shoe or a vase (or a knife). Cops were called, he dropped the charges but divorced her ass instead.
I totally get it. Couples fight sometimes.
Next candidate, please!

Again, bigger picture:

Trudeau's hypocrisy, lack of transparency and double standard for dealing with men and women.

Two female NDP staffers went to Trudeau to inform him two of his male MP's made unwanted sexual advances towards them. They made it clear they wanted it kept quiet. Trudeau ran to the media to score cheap political points and booted the male MP's from caucus and destroyed their reputations all without even giving them a chance to defend themselves.

Compare that to the Payette assault case with his repeated "no comment" and refusing to even acknowledge if he was aware of the assault case before offering her the GG position.

"no comment" = Media dig deeper.

FallisCowboy
07-20-2017, 09:05 AM
Starting to look like selfie the clown's Teflon coating with the MSM is wearing off. The s__t is beginning to stick. Once they(MSM) figure that they can sell papers by doing this, they will bring out the full blown manure spreaders (I hope).

TheHydrant
07-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Again, bigger picture:

Trudeau's hypocrisy, lack of transparency and double standard for dealing with men and women.

Two female NDP staffers went to Trudeau to inform him two of his male MP's made unwanted sexual advances towards them. They made it clear they wanted it kept quiet. Trudeau ran to the media to score cheap political points and booted the male MP's from caucus and destroyed their reputations all without even giving them a chance to defend themselves.

Compare that to the Payette assault case with his repeated "no comment" and refusing to even acknowledge if he was aware of the assault case before offering her the GG position.

"no comment" = Media dig deeper.
Absolutely.
I wasn't very clear but I was mocking the PMO and urging them to find another candidate

Zinilin
07-20-2017, 12:31 PM
I honestly don't see what the problem is. A charge is not a conviction....
.. and a coverup is not a trial.

Zinilin
07-20-2017, 12:32 PM
We know that Liberals have a history of making charges 'go away' Justin said so himself about the charges against his brother.

So what's the story.

awndray
07-20-2017, 12:45 PM
.. and a coverup is not a trial.

Go on. Why would there be a trial if the charges were dropped? This sort of thing happens all the time to all sorts of people.

Zinilin
07-20-2017, 12:55 PM
Go on. Why would there be a trial if the charges were dropped? This sort of thing happens all the time to all sorts of people.

If it was a stabbing. If one person stabs another then either the stabber was acting in self defence in which case the stabbed person must have been (at a minimum) perpetrating an assault and if the stabber was not acting in self defence then the stabber is (at a minimum) perpetrating an assault.

Either way their is a charge a hearing and a disposition; or there is a cover up, perhaps, because a female astronaut from Quebec is as untouchable as the son of a sitting Liberal Prime Minster.

awndray
07-20-2017, 01:50 PM
So you're saying they would have covered it up years ago, just in case she were to be asked to become Governor General? Sure. That sounds likely.

Zinilin
07-20-2017, 01:58 PM
So you're saying they would have covered it up years ago, just in case she were to be asked to become Governor General? Sure. That sounds likely.

I never wrote or suggested what you are arguing against (you need to work on your Liberal strawman redirection incantations, your redirect-fu is poor)

What I wrote was: "..because a female astronaut from Quebec is as untouchable as the son of a sitting Liberal Prime Minster. "

awndray
07-20-2017, 02:03 PM
But you insist on a cover up - a cover up that would have happened years ago. Please, explain.

Zinilin
07-20-2017, 02:04 PM
But you insist on a cover up - a cover up that would have happened years ago. Please, explain.
"..because a female astronaut from Quebec is as untouchable as the son of a sitting Liberal Prime Minster. "

Strewth
07-20-2017, 02:05 PM

Covered up because he was a proponent of the F-35, and she'd justifiably had enough of him prattling on about how it was the next transformational kinetic warfighter for defenestrating the battlespace.

I would like to hear more, you don't get picked for GG out of the blue, you would be connected at some level for most of your life to a particular political party.

soulchaser
07-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Covered up because he was a proponent of the F-35, and she'd justifiably had enough of him prattling on about how it was the next transformational kinetic warfighter for defenestrating the battlespace.

I would like to hear more, you don't get picked for GG out of the blue, you would be connected at some level for most of your life to a particular political party.

Don't think the current GG David Johnston was connected to the CPC when Harper appointed him was he?

Zinilin
07-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Now CBC is saying "...she struck and killed a pedestrian and was once the subject of a criminal probe for assault"

Trudeau said the vetting process "raised absolutely no issues," and his talks with the future head of state didn't focus on her past.

soulchaser
07-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Now CBC is saying "...she struck and killed a pedestrian and was once the subject of a criminal probe for assault"

Seriously, no comment from Liberals.

She has a deeper history of domestic assault.

And Trudeau's "no comment" is going to push the media to keep digging so they just might find about that...... and more.

Investigative reporter Kevin Donovan at the Toronto Star (he broke the Rob Ford crack story) broke the killing a pedestrian story this morning.

Zinilin
07-20-2017, 02:16 PM
She has a deeper history of domestic assault.

And Trudeau's "no comment" is going to push the media to keep digging so they just might find about that...... and more.

Investigative reporter Kevin Donovan at the Toronto Star (he broke the Rob Ford crack story) broke the killing a pedestrian story this morning.

I just hope they don't find any terrorism in her background, Canadian taxpayers could not afford the requisite Liberal salary increase.

awndray
07-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Don't think the current GG David Johnston was connected to the CPC when Harper appointed him was he?

He worked for both sides, but nobody seems to be able to point to any one reason Harper would have chosen him. In fact, it's said that he didn't have much of a say in the matter. He assembled a team to do their research and come up with a GG for him.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2010/07/08/academic_david_johnston_set_to_be_next_governor_ge neral.html
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/that-david-johnston-scandal-in-full/

TheCenturion
07-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Dismissed charge is not an acquittal ...

And technically, found 'not guilty' isn't proof of innocence. I don't know about you, but I happen to believe that a person is innocent until proven guilty with due process in a court of law.

Forbes/Hutton
07-20-2017, 03:45 PM
If all this "slipped" past their background check for the highest job in the country, it only proves what I've said (and we all know) about the "thorough background checks" performed on the moron's Syrian immigrants...

SIR VEYOR
07-21-2017, 03:02 PM

In another country as well....

sltoronto
07-21-2017, 05:39 PM
And technically, found 'not guilty' isn't proof of innocence. I don't know about you, but I happen to believe that a person is innocent until proven guilty with due process in a court of law.

Did I say she's guilty?

What I said there were NO DUE PROCESS IN A COURT of LAW and there could be MANY reasons why this didn't happen ...

and as she was not Joan Simple even in the USA, not necessarily all these reasons would be white, soft and furry

awndray
07-21-2017, 05:48 PM
There's no need for your fancy due process in a court of law when the charges are dropped.

Maybe you should drop it too, before you have a coronary.