PDA

View Full Version : It took the Liberal 5 MONTHS of planning to send one tweet.

soulchaser
07-20-2017, 06:25 PM
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/this-is-how-the-federal-government-made-a-star-wars-tweet-go-viral/

It took five months of planning, a bunch of nerdy public servants and approvals all the way up the chain, but Transport Canada achieved the nearly impossible earlier this year: a government tweet gone viral.

It all started so bureaucratically. “Our resident nerd has come up with a fantastic message [promoting] our recall database,” wrote a departmental communications assistant on Dec. 1, 2016. “We intend to post this message to coincide with the release of the newest Star Wars movie,” which hit Canadian screens two weeks later. The bureaucrats missed that deadline, but they struck Twitter gold a few months later.

Documents obtained via the Access to Information Act explain how the government hoped a harmless hoax could help spread the word about its Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database, which lists all recalls between 1970 and the present day (for example, here’s a list of Toyota recalls).

soulchaser
07-20-2017, 06:26 PM
MORE:
One departmental official cited a recent presentation by Honda that claimed Millennials were “the hardest to reach in relation to recalls.” So they set out to reach a new audience.

The plan was to post online a temporary recall for All-Terrain Armoured Transports, a four-legged vehicle manufactured by Kuat Drive Yards and deployed by the Empire in its fight against the Rebel Alliance. The recall claimed that the AT-AT’s central hydraulic system “could fail in extreme temperatures, such as on planet Hoth or Northern Canada,” which “could impair laser cannon tracking, and affect the walker’s ability to maintain balance.” The recall “affected” 10,000 models.

In a perfectly mundane flourish 48 hours out from the big day, Transport’s head of recalls signalled to his superior that the draft posts “have been reviewed by our Star Wars experts and approved as being factual and funny.” Finally, on Star Wars Day—when #MayThe4thBeWithYou jokes are once again fashionable for 24 hours—Transport unleashed the tweet.

soulchaser
07-20-2017, 06:27 PM
5 months of planning for a star wars tweet.

They didn't put that much effort into the f--king budget.

M1917 Enfield
07-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Sounds to me like they idle staff with nothing better to do and have way too much free time on their hands during taxpayer funded work hours!

Forbes/Hutton
07-20-2017, 07:08 PM
I prefered the first 4.99 months when they said nothing.

Joshua13
07-20-2017, 07:15 PM
And how many tax dollars we're spent during this thing?

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

lone-wolf
07-20-2017, 07:17 PM
I'm told things are scary at transport canada, this is probably the less damaging they've done, so it's cool

RangeBob
07-20-2017, 09:44 PM
And here it is, discovered May the 4th (be with ye), right here on GoC by awndray and his buddy:

Transport Canada Recall # 2017242
http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?39309-Transport-Canada-Recall-2017242

Dewey Cox
07-20-2017, 11:37 PM
Ha ha. Funny.
If you own your own biz, and you decide to spend your time coming up with funny tweets, cool.
But if you work for me, and that's how you spend your time, we'll be having a chat.
Are we ok with paying someone for this?

speedloader
07-21-2017, 07:13 AM
hell no but what choice do we have ?....Libtards are in charge wasting your tax dollars
is an actual goverment job ,they can't add or count and think credit is cash .......so just keep on working guys
and they will keep finding new things to tax while they run the debt up for your grandchildren's grandchildren

all the while doing nothing for the country at all .....Sorry I remember that last time they were in charge
too bad most other voters didn't ....the more things change the more they stay the same

Grey_Wolf
07-21-2017, 07:25 AM
hell no but what choice do we have ?....Libtards are in charge wasting your tax dollars
is an actual goverment job ,they can't add or count and think credit is cash .......so just keep on working guys
and they will keep finding new things to tax while they run the debt up for your grandchildren's grandchildren

all the while doing nothing for the country at all .....Sorry I remember that last time they were in charge
too bad most other voters didn't ....the more things change the more they stay the same

Yeah I too remember the last time they were in charge, and the time before that... what baffles me is not only how many people forget that but how many people are so easily bought off with their own money. The one that promises the most hand outs is the one to get elected. Where do they think the government gets it's money - the money tree?

Swingerguy
07-21-2017, 08:27 AM
I dislike the current government as much the next guy, but it was clever, and a bit funny.
These are also unelected government employees and if they are spending time doing this, it leaves less time for inventing useless arbitrary rules used to punish hard working truckers who just want to earn a living.

M1917 Enfield
07-21-2017, 09:04 AM
I should try to get a government job! it sounds like a real fun place to show up for work or goof off, with good taxpayer funded pay and benefits to boot!

Besides, most people in Canada seem fine with paying high taxes and racking up massive debt for their kids to worry about so those that are supposed to work for the taxpayer can goof off!