PDA

View Full Version : New Scope Time

JustBen
07-21-2017, 11:07 AM
So I am upgrading the scope on my hunting rifle. I haven't decided which hunting rifle will get the new one, but either way it will be a lighter weight rifle in a magnum caliber - weatherby ultralightweight in 300 Wby or Kimber Montana in 270 WSM

I sold the Vortex Diamondback HP that was on the Kimber. But I'm thinking about moving my Bushnell 4200 from the Weatherby to the Kimber and getting a new scope for the Weatherby.

Right now my top contenders are:
Leupold VX-3i
Swarovski Z3
Trijicon Accupoint

I'm looking to stick with something in a 3-10 power or so. I really like the Leupold, but I'm also trying to figure out if the other options would make better hunting scopes, especially considering the price difference.

Thoughts?

Strewth
07-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Love my Accupoint, great eye relief and clear glass but I've never looked through their 3-9. All three of those are great options....according to the interwebs:).

Swampdonkey
07-21-2017, 05:48 PM
I'm a big Zeiss fan, having a couple of Conquests.

Parallax adjustments helps me greatly, and I like the rezeroable turrets. I still favour the duplex reticle.

If there's one thing not go go cheap on, it's glass.

JustBen
07-21-2017, 09:45 PM
I'm a big Zeiss fan, having a couple of Conquests.

Parallax adjustments helps me greatly, and I like the rezeroable turrets. I still favour the duplex reticle.

If there's one thing not go go cheap on, it's glass.

The conquest is another option that would probably exceed my needs.

Swampdonkey
07-21-2017, 10:25 PM
Naturally, I don't have great eyes, so I might be fussier, but with my stigmatism the parallax adjustment, focus, and eye relief help greatly, especially at 10x magnification.

What's your budget? What was wrong with the Vortex?

JustBen
07-22-2017, 06:09 AM
Really, nothing was wrong with the Vortex. It was a bit heavy and not super in low light situations. But I'm ready to grab better glass.

I don't really have a budget, but if I have to put a number, it'd be $1200 max.

JustBen
07-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Well, I decided to "settle" on the Leupold. I can literally buy two for the price of my other options. And they are a great scope for the money.

Swampdonkey
07-22-2017, 11:03 PM
Such moderation. Congratulations!