PDA

View Full Version : mounting PU scope on a mosin

dogzilla
07-23-2017, 12:01 PM
So I broke down and ordered a scope and mount from westrifle to put on a mosin I have that already has the bent bolt. How hard is it going to be to mount?

linung
07-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Depending on your set up.

My rifle was tapped.
http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=3013&d=1500839623
So I just remove the screws and screw in the mounts.
http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=3011&d=1500839319
Easy as pie.

If it needs to be drilled should take it to a gun smith.

Rory McCanuck
07-23-2017, 04:11 PM
A Mosin isn't drilled or tapped, so it isn't going to be that easy.
Which mount did you get?
Is it one that mounts on the side?
One that's pinned in from the rear sight?

dogzilla
07-23-2017, 06:48 PM
The side mount. repop of the original. I realize it's going to need drilling and tapping. I have drills and taps but have never tackled a project like this. I'd like to do it myself. I just wonder about going too deep or somehow screwing it up...

Rory McCanuck
07-23-2017, 08:11 PM
Ah, ok.
In that case, don't worry about drilling too deep, as you can drill right through the side of the receiver, just make sure you don't hit the interruptor.
When you drill through and thread it, a bit of metal will mushroom up from the hole, you may need to smooth that down so that things will slide freely in there again. I haven't held a Mosin in quite some time, I forget where the ways are.
You'll need to make a notch in the stock for the base to fit, even a hacksaw and file would do a decent enough job.

Billythreefeathers
07-24-2017, 06:30 AM
The side mount. repop of the original. I realize it's going to need drilling and tapping. I have drills and taps but have never tackled a project like this. I'd like to do it myself. I just wonder about going too deep or somehow screwing it up...

easy to drill and tap,, you need a vice and a drill press,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDl0X1NQd_I&t=71s

M39
07-24-2017, 10:17 AM
I used an ex sniper already has the hole locations. I would just buy a sniper from one of the dealers about $800

dogzilla
07-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Ah, ok.
In that case, don't worry about drilling too deep, as you can drill right through the side of the receiver, just make sure you don't hit the interruptor.
When you drill through and thread it, a bit of metal will mushroom up from the hole, you may need to smooth that down so that things will slide freely in there again. I haven't held a Mosin in quite some time, I forget where the ways are.
You'll need to make a notch in the stock for the base to fit, even a hacksaw and file would do a decent enough job.

Good to know I don't have to worry about depth. I have a dremel that will work great for the stock and cleaning up any mushroomed metal. Thank you!

dogzilla
07-24-2017, 10:37 AM
I used an ex sniper already has the hole locations. I would just buy a sniper from one of the dealers about $800

I considered this , but I already have a bent bolt 91/30. Do the ex snipers still have the holes , or are they filled? Anyways the mount and reproduction scope was just over $300, so I guess that means I tell the wife I saved $500 and I should buy something else too....lol

Mark-II
07-25-2017, 08:42 AM
The ex snipers would have the receiver holes plugged and the stocks either fixed or replaced when they were refurbed.

Remember that the sniper rifles were rifles culled from the production lines as guns that had the potential for greater accuracy than the bog standard infantry rifle

That being said, the one that I shoot the most has repro glass and mount, put together by who knows, and I can't recall whether the receiver has the markings that a sniping rifle would have. And I'm happy with its performance, though I don't take it past 100yards. I can't see well enough to be better than minute of gong after that, and I can do that with an infantry rifle anyway.

M39
08-10-2017, 11:36 AM
The holes are filled in but you can see where they were for easy lining up of the holes on the mount.