PDA

View Full Version : Canada's Pot Growers Won't Be Able To Keep Up When It's Legalized, Exec Warns

Billythreefeathers
07-26-2017, 06:38 AM
Canada's Pot Growers Won't Be Able To Keep Up When It's Legalized, Exec Warns

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/07/24/canadas-pot-growers-wont-be-able-to-keep-up-when-its-legalize_a_23045854/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

MONTREAL An official with a large producer of medical cannabis doubts Canada's licensed companies will be able to adequately supply consumers come next July.

Cam Battley, executive vice-president of Aurora Cannabis Inc., says the existing capacity and what is envisioned will not be sufficient to meet the needs of the adult consumer market.

He made the comment today after Aurora began trading common shares on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

The Trudeau government is sticking with its deadline to legalize recreational marijuana by July 2018, despite provincial fears there's not enough time to address the legal, social and health challenges of ending Canada's pot prohibition.

Battley says Canada is demonstrating leadership around the world with respect to medical cannabis because of its well-developed and successful medical cannabis system.

Aurora is building what it describes as the world's largest cannabis production facility at Edmonton International Airport.

The company is one of several producers now listed on the TSX.

Billythreefeathers
07-26-2017, 06:40 AM
fire this guy,,

gangs will not be giving up any of their drug turf to any corner store or super market pot seller,,

I predict street prices will drop by at least 50%

Booletsnotreactwell
07-26-2017, 07:04 AM
That's the one things that's always got me with legalized weed, the angle they never really seem to think through.

Weed costs five bucks, it's pretty much always five bucks anywhere, anytime and has been like that for at least two decades.

Five bucks at the final end user level is all somebody has to pay and that supports an entire illegal economy. So illegal hidden grow ops, illegal transportation, potentially even illegal cross border international smuggling, 5-10 steps in the food chain from grower to final customer, etc...

Generally things being illegal makes something cost more as it's more of a pain in the ass to do, you're not selling lemonade here after all, yet five bucks supports all of that overhead.

I wouldn't be surprised if illegal weed becomes $3 a gram after weed is legalized/regulated. How do these legit companies even begin to compete against that, the tax alone that would be built in would be more. It might be some craft beer level good shit but it won't be x15 the price better.

Think of the cigarette smoking industry, now instead of having generations that bought smokes at the store, they always had to buy them at the reserve whether it's illegal cross border smokes or no duties paid. Basically that's what the current weed industry is, everybody who has ever done it has 10 numbers in their phone on where to get it, anybody who is gonna potentially buy it legally already has a lifetime of experience and connections to get it illegally... For cheaper.

Why would anybody ever buy the overpriced government controlled weed?

awndray
07-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Why would anybody ever buy the overpriced government controlled weed?

The only ones who would, are those with prescriptions and whose insurance might cover it. Perhaps also those folks who don't want to deal with a street level dealer for fear or not knowing what they're getting.

But as you said, the morons up top just don't get it. They claim legalizing weed is going to help keep it out of kids' hands and off the street. I'd really like to know how they think that's going to happen.

glockfan
07-26-2017, 07:21 AM
fire this guy,,

gangs will not be giving up any of their drug turf to any corner store or super market pot seller,,

that is exactly what is happening right now.

street prices are going down already.

gangs are already at it ; the word spreads that the GVT pot will be low quality and that the legal producers will never be able to match the price of the black market nor the quality of the product . gangs have 0 overall,and they can sell a product of much higher quality at very low prices still making money.

RangeBob
07-26-2017, 07:38 AM
the morons up top just don't get it. They claim legalizing weed is going to help keep it out of kids' hands and off the street. I'd really like to know how they think that's going to happen.

With the penalties for small amounts disappearing, more kids are going to be carrying, and more kids will be smoking weed instead of smoking tobacco in the bleachers between classes.

If the adult illegal market dries up, the drug dealers will shift to harder drugs, or will shift their customer base to those that still can't get it -- and given children make less than adults that means they'll have to sell to more children than the size of their adult customer base was.

Legal adults who need money but not weed, will buy/have the max allowed and sell to anyone who can pay.

Legal adults with children, will have their children snip from the plants or their parents stash, and sell to their friends at school.

Once the kids are familiar with pot, they'll want higher potency which the drug dealers sell. And the drug dealers will some portion of the time continue to lace the pot with who knows what.

Is there a scenario where the kids get less ?

SeirX
07-26-2017, 07:44 AM
Building the 'the world's largest' weed production site at Edmonton International Airport?

Anyone else think they're `producing` more than just weed, with a simple hop into the airport for quick, unregulated export?

I don't smoke dope or hang around people who do, and I don't have numbers of people I could call... yet even I know people I could contact who could contact their friends or dealers and get some if I wanted to. I think the government missed the boat on this [they shoulda done it in the 60s or 70s], but the big thing for people is the 'decriminalization' of possession.

Awndray makes a good point - how is legalizing it gonna keep it out of kids' hands? When we were teens [assuming an age-range of 30-50 here], how hard was it to give a guy some cash to have him walk out of the beer store with an extra case of beer that disappeared from the back of his truck? Same thing with smokes. I remember being sent to the store to get my old man a pack of smokes 'an something for yourself'.

There's already stories of tweens getting into "edibles" and winding up at the hospital.
The more conspiracy-theory side of my thinking is pretty sure this is just another step into the Dumbening of The People so they have to rely further on the gov't.
Booze, smokes, dope...wondering why they didn't legalize prostitution yet? doesn't sex usually come before drugs in the for-sale-and-taxed plans?
Rely on the government for ALL of your Good Time Needs and you'll never vote for anyone who wants to do better by you

awndray
07-26-2017, 07:45 AM
Is there a scenario where the kids get less ?

Only the one where the parents steal the kids' pot.

Billythreefeathers
07-26-2017, 08:05 AM
I really hope Justin and all his liberal friends invest heavily in Aurora Cannabis Inc.

Waterloomike
07-26-2017, 08:51 AM
Pot growers kept up pretty well until government got involved and then we have the automatic scarcity.

The market don't lie.

Steveo9mm
07-26-2017, 09:03 AM
fire this guy,,

they already have. a guy i know gets it now for $12 for 3 grams

blacksmithden
07-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Theyre assuming people wont grow their own.

FALover
07-26-2017, 10:13 AM

Or brew their own beer, wine or alcohol. I don't smoke but within short drive I can find the best weed going at current prices or a carton of decent smokes for $22.00. The government is going to find out fast that our First Nations folks will be able to keep up with demand and without any pesky taxes or TSC limits. That cloud of smoke on the horizon is the coming shytestorm called free enterprise.

Now where is a joint smoking emoji when needed?

awndray
07-26-2017, 10:20 AM

Not at all. In fact, they're allowing people to grow up to four plants per household, limited to 100 centimetres high.

FALover
07-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Not at all. In fact, they're allowing people to grow up to four plants per household, limited to 100 centimetres high.

I have asked a question regarding this. My MiL lives in a condo complex for retirement aged folks. I would guess 120+ units. Now if the board of directors allowed a roof top garden or dedicated part of the underground parking for growing four plants per 'household' that would be 500 plants total. The right strain of weed and you can get in six crops a year. 3000 plants at 50% of current street value could gross $1,500,000.00! Imagine now that they had a way to sell the excess. No more condo fees! Great Wednesday night get togethers and one hell of a new years eve party.

Strewth
07-26-2017, 10:39 AM
I think we'll be able to keep it away from kids one way, the same way it's always worked, regardless of the "law" of the land: societal pressure. When I was in high school, it was the beginning of the end for the cool kids to smoke behind the school, my son thinks cigarettes are the devil incarnate, and I fully support his attitude on this legalised drug. Ditto drunk driving (although in this case tightening up the laws helped). It was not uncommon at all a generation ago to drink and drive, now it's quickly becoming verboten...just ask the pub owners.
But then I'm in the "legalise it all, and let Darwin sort them out" camp. Short term societal pain, for long term gain.

FALover
07-26-2017, 10:45 AM
I think we'll be able to keep it away from kids one way, the same way it's always worked, regardless of the "law" of the land: societal pressure. When I was in high school, it was the beginning of the end for the cool kids to smoke behind the school, my son thinks cigarettes are the devil incarnate, and I fully support his attitude on this legalised drug. Ditto drunk driving (although in this case tightening up the laws helped). It was not uncommon at all a generation ago to drink and drive, now it's quickly becoming verboten...just ask the pub owners.
But then I'm in the "legalise it all, and let Darwin sort them out" camp. Short term societal pain, for long term gain.

You have an exceptional son. I drive by the local high school during lunch and there are hundreds of kids across the street puffing away. (cant smoke on school property) The scent of skunkweed is also present as smoking weed before heading back to class is cool for more than enough to effect grade averages.

Strewth
07-26-2017, 10:48 AM
You have an exceptional son. I drive by the local high school during lunch and there are hundreds of kids across the street puffing away. (cant smoke on school property) The scent of skunkweed is also present as smoking weed before heading back to class is cool for more than enough to effect grade averages.

Grade 4, all his friends agree with him...at least to my face:).

ilikemoose
07-26-2017, 11:02 AM
Medical marijuana is already as cheap as $5.50 retail.

Canopy Growth, Aurora and the other industry players are prepared to scale up, and cut cost to serve the recreational market.

When adults can go into a boutique, choose from a selection of products and walk out without any concern about dealing with cops, drug dealers and all the sketchy stuff.

There will be a market for that.

Zinilin
07-26-2017, 11:10 AM
Once ALL of the laws are passed and ALL of the regulations are defined and in place then big tobacco in cooperation with the agrichemical industry will step in an resolve any issues related to insufficient supply. They will also, in cooperation with Madison Avenue significantly reduce the number of recognizable suppliers; and due to economies of scale eliminate all but the most financially effective production lines.

Boutique grow ops will exist and be as profitable and as well knows are the hobbyists that make dandelion wine.

Once the rules are all in place the money that helped write the rules, will rule.

soulchaser
07-26-2017, 11:16 AM
Perhapse the headline should read LICENSED growers won't be able to keep up.

There will ALWAYS be black market growers to provide more than enough weed.

Steveo9mm
07-26-2017, 11:20 AM
I have asked a question regarding this. My MiL lives in a condo complex for retirement aged folks. I would guess 120+ units. Now if the board of directors allowed a roof top garden or dedicated part of the underground parking for growing four plants per 'household' that would be 500 plants total. The right strain of weed and you can get in six crops a year. 3000 plants at 50% of current street value could gross $1,500,000.00! Imagine now that they had a way to sell the excess. No more condo fees! Great Wednesday night get togethers and one hell of a new years eve party.

sorry pal, you wont be getting high yeild off a 1 meter plant. if your buds are even redy to harvest once it reaches the hight limit. and no, supercropping wont help

they have the science of this worked out nicley.

you will be able to grow a plant to 1 foot before you have to start the flowering stage. the flowering stage doubles the growth rate. it will be 3 feet before you know it. and youll have teeny little buds on a few stems and thats it.

http://www.breedbay.co.uk/gallery/data/500/SpQ3_-_080307_-_1.JPG

theres a reason they vegitate marijuana for 3 months and flower for 8 weeks average.

awndray
07-26-2017, 11:21 AM
Or, one could take 2 minutes to read the article instead of just the headline. And if it's in the very first line of the article, it's far less than 2 minutes. :P

An official with a large producer of medical cannabis doubts Canada's licensed companies will be able to adequately supply consumers come next July.

FALover
07-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Or, one could take 2 minutes to read the article instead of just the headline. And if it's in the very first line of the article, it's far less than 2 minutes. :P

If that is a concern, then why are they not issuing more licenses? Is this a more complex issue than I can see? Or is it the government wants to take care of liberal campaign donors who may have got in early and want no 'legal' competition.

blacksmithden
07-26-2017, 12:09 PM

Pfhttttt. They're going to "allow" 4 plants. Bahahahahaha !!!!! Once its legal, Im going to order a bunch of seeds...then Im heading out to every municipal owned park, garden, planter, and flower pot I can find....and I cant even smoke the stuff. Lol !!! Just my own personal little F-U to Trudeau. :)

awndray
07-26-2017, 12:09 PM
It's about control and revenue. More licensees means more of them to keep a tight leash on. That spells trouble.

Contrary to popular liberal thinking, legalizing weed is not going to help minimize the efforts and cost of the war on drugs. It'll exacerbate it.

awndray
07-26-2017, 12:11 PM
Pfhttttt. They're going to "allow" 4 plants. Bahahahahaha !!!!! Once its legal, Im going to order a bunch of seeds...then Im heading out to every municipal owned garden, planter, and flower pot I can find. Lol

So is everyone else. With any luck, cannabis will be the new dandelion.

Strewth
07-26-2017, 12:18 PM
So is everyone else. With any luck, cannabis will be the new dandelion.

It better not invade my yard like the curse-ed yellow plague we call dandelions. Would make mowing the lawn very stinky, and my shoes would end up looking like large muppet feet after all the stickiness stuck to them.

ilikemoose
07-26-2017, 12:25 PM
If that is a concern, then why are they not issuing more licenses? Is this a more complex issue than I can see? Or is it the government wants to take care of liberal campaign donors who may have got in early and want no 'legal' competition.

I dont think its a concern.

This guys company just jumped to the TSX, and he wants to let investors know that his company has huge growth potential and that they should invest in Aurora.

Thats the point of the article.

Swampdonkey
07-26-2017, 12:34 PM
I dont think its a concern.

This guys company just jumped to the TSX, and he wants to let investors know that his company has huge growth potential and that they should invest in Aurora.

Thats the point of the article.

Fake News propaganda.

FALover
07-26-2017, 02:18 PM
It better not invade my yard like the curse-ed yellow plague we call dandelions. Would make mowing the lawn very stinky, and my shoes would end up looking like large muppet feet after all the stickiness stuck to them.e
If you have a pet they will appreciate the chew toy shoes.

t_glover
07-26-2017, 07:16 PM
I strongly believe that the liberal legalization plan is all smoke and mirrors.
They used cannabis legalization to buy votes to help win the election.
And they will use it to try and buy votes in the next election.
Canada's commitment to 3 drug conventions with the UN are going to be a
stumbling block to any form of legalization.
I bet legalization will look like its almost going to happen right before the
next federal election as long as the liberals get reelected.

Canada can withdraw from the 3 UN treaties but they have to give one years notice.
If the government was serious about legalizing cannabis by July 1st 2018 they would
have already given the UN notice that they were withdrawing before July 1st of this year.

I will believe it when I see it.

Terry

JustBen
07-26-2017, 07:33 PM
I don't believe that weed stocks are going to be the next big thing. The fundamentals show the stock well overpriced at its current price. Articles like this really should be read with some suspicion to the authors motives. Pump and dump, anyone?

crfx
07-26-2017, 08:47 PM
I strongly believe that the liberal legalization plan is all smoke and mirrors.
They used cannabis legalization to buy votes to help win the election.
And they will use it to try and buy votes in the next election.
Canada's commitment to 3 drug conventions with the UN are going to be a
stumbling block to any form of legalization.
I bet legalization will look like its almost going to happen right before the
next federal election as long as the liberals get reelected.

Canada can withdraw from the 3 UN treaties but they have to give one years notice.
If the government was serious about legalizing cannabis by July 1st 2018 they would
have already given the UN notice that they were withdrawing before July 1st of this year.

I will believe it when I see it.

Terry

This.....This right here
Just a carrot in front of a donkey

Zinilin
07-26-2017, 08:53 PM
...If the government was serious about legalizing cannabis by July 1st 2018 they would
have already given the UN notice that they were withdrawing before July 1st of this year....Terry

They are not legalizing it, not by any stretch of the imagination, they are more broadly regulating it.
It will still be illegal unless <regulations>, just like firearms.

Carguy2550
07-27-2017, 01:31 AM
Has anyone called Ricky and Julian to help deal with the potential supply problem?

SeirX
07-27-2017, 08:22 AM
I think we'll be able to keep it away from kids one way, the same way it's always worked, regardless of the "law" of the land: societal pressure.

....If you haven't noticed, "pot culture" has been on the rise and indoctrinating people through movies and tv about how *everyone* uses pot and it's OK and hell, even expected at this point. Societal pressure will have you lighting up before butting out - your immediate peers [if they don't smoke and hold the same general beliefs on topic as you do] may be one of the only bulwarks against the intentional retardation of the nation, if widespread enough.

awndray
07-27-2017, 10:06 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/glmRyiSI3v5E4/giphy.gif

ilikemoose
07-27-2017, 11:18 AM
I don't believe that weed stocks are going to be the next big thing. The fundamentals show the stock well overpriced at its current price. Articles like this really should be read with some suspicion to the authors motives. Pump and dump, anyone?

You are very correct.

A cynic would say that Canadian Marijuana stocks are extremely overvalued given the current market.

A more bullish investor would say that they have invested capital in creating production capacity so that they can be placed to serve the huge recreational market when it comes on line next year.

Regardless, reading these articles with suspicion is a wise and prudent approach.

blacksmithden
07-28-2017, 09:12 AM
So, Im curious. Once pot is legal, does that mean hash and hash oil will be legal too ?

lone-wolf
07-28-2017, 09:17 AM
I'm gonna grow my own

oh yea, grow it when it's legal, yes.

Steveo9mm
07-28-2017, 10:46 AM
So, Im curious. Once pot is legal, does that mean hash and hash oil will be legal too ?

how about all those new fangled edible treats they come up with these days. busted for a cookie.

RangeBob
07-28-2017, 12:29 PM
how about all those new fangled edible treats they come up with these days. busted for a cookie.

You just have to work within the law.

I'm not really up on my proposed pot laws, but perhaps the below might be legal, assuming you can grow more than you can possess in a public place.

Let's say you want to take your pot laced cookies to a family picnic with 200 people.
So you start baking using your 4 fully grown pot plants, that have somehow managed to mature despite that being really really hard to do when they're under 1 meter tall.
You get 5 more soccer moms to gather up 7 kids each and you do the same, for 6 vans with 1 soccer mom and 7 kids each.
You hand out 5 cookies to each woman and child, because that's the legal possession limit, and you all drive to the picnic, and you instruct everyone to hand out 1 or 2 cookies to each adult.
This will be 100% successful, because all soccer moms will be required by law to keep all the children from eating a cookie enroute.

justin has thought all this stuff through. This just in, "Trust the justin".