PDA

View Full Version : Trudeau announces $35 M for diversity gardens at Assinboine Park

soulchaser
07-29-2017, 05:50 PM
Trudeau announces $35 M for diversity gardens at Assinboine Park

The Manitoba and federal governments will spend $50 million on Canada's Diversity Gardens, an Assiniboine Park Conservancy project set for completion by the end of 2019.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his daughter were on hand at the park Saturday morning for a brief tour of the construction site, along with Winnipeg Mayor Brian Bowman and Manitoba's deputy premier Heather Stefanson. The federal government is contributing $35 million to the initiative, while the provincial government is spending $15 million.

The gardens will highlight a number of different plants from across the globe and charge $10 for admission.

A reporter pressed the prime minister as to the value of the initiative, wondering whether the money was not better spent on Winnipeg's numerous needs, notably roads and infrastructure.

"One of the things that I take very seriously is the repsonsbility that a federal government has to work with local partners not to decide from Ottawa what the need or the plan or the approach that a particular community has, but to be supportive of local priorities," Trudeau responded.

He said his support for the gardens stems from the mayor's leadership on the project, as well as the support the initiative has received from private donors and philanthropists, in addition to how "the community has gotten behind this extraordinary park."

However, some city councillors have criticized the project because only bureaucrats have seen its business plan. The city said last week the plans remain confidential, as the park competes with other tourist attractions.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/trudeau-announces-35-m-for-diversity-gardens-at-assinboine-park-437377433.html

soulchaser
07-29-2017, 05:50 PM
Diversity garden.

F--k me.

Indigenous people without clean drinking water? F--k em. We're buying plants from around the world. How's that gonna work? Tropical plants gonna survive in an OUTDOOR garden in a Winnipeg winter.

FallisCowboy
07-29-2017, 06:29 PM
Rainbows, Unicorn farts, and photo ops with his daughter. All for a mere $35,000,000, what a deal for us plebes! We should all feel just so grateful!

Swampdonkey
07-29-2017, 06:54 PM
a number of different plants from across the globe

Invasive plants to match the invasive Communists? They better be halal.

Swampdonkey
07-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Diversity garden.

F--k me.

Indigenous people without clean drinking water? F--k em. We're buying plants from around the world. How's that gonna work? Tropical plants gonna survive in an OUTDOOR garden in a Winnipeg winter.

Who needs water when there are so many other beverages?

R&R Rancher
07-29-2017, 07:15 PM
By far most Winnipegers would rather see the money spent on something usefull, like road repair.

LB303
07-29-2017, 07:16 PM
You can call me a bigot, but I just spent the afternoon eliminating diversity in my garden.

Mark-II
07-29-2017, 07:21 PM
By far most Winnipegers would rather see the money spent on something usefull, like road repair.

I was just going to say.

Bloody progressives and red Tories... Crumbling roads and closing ERs and they're buying flowers..

Forbes/Hutton
07-29-2017, 07:59 PM
Plants: smarter than Turdo and his voters.

Rory McCanuck
07-29-2017, 08:17 PM
What the actual F?
$35 million on flowers... rather than Assiniboine Park, how about Higgins and Main :rolleyes:
Really kinda pissed I didn't know he was going to be in Winnipeg, as I just got home from there a couple hours ago.
On a completely, absolutely unrelated note, I forgot to scoop dog poop at the Ma-in-Law's house before I left.

linung
07-29-2017, 08:18 PM
Come winter... Everything dies... So you need the money to buy new plants and keep planting them.

The diversity part will come in the form of hiring diverse gardeners to do the planting!
:smash:

Dewey Cox
07-29-2017, 08:21 PM
This has kind of a "let them eat cake" feel to it.

SpenceyHR
07-29-2017, 10:52 PM
I'm not even surprised by this kind of sh*t anymore.

RangeBob
07-29-2017, 10:57 PM
For $50 million I assume there will be a building of some sort.

I wonder if the counselors and neighbours will approve it.

Swingerguy
07-30-2017, 04:52 AM
On a completely, absolutely unrelated note, I forgot to scoop dog poop at the Ma-in-Law's house before I left.

Unrelated, ha ha. It's funny because it's true.

chuckbuster
07-30-2017, 07:41 AM
Is there no end to the circus that is Justin Trudeau?? Please, God...

Steveo9mm
07-30-2017, 08:02 AM
Is there no end to the circus that is Justin Trudeau?? Please, God...

there is no god to save you

speedloader
07-30-2017, 09:39 AM
If its like some of the parks here he'd have to kick out the homeless first
which is ironic since some of them were working tax payers until he and his communist friends the NDP came along
and started spending our money on stupid things ,,,,,,,oh wait

soulchaser
07-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Come winter... Everything dies... So you need the money to buy new plants and keep planting them.

The diversity part will come in the form of hiring diverse gardeners to do the planting!
:smash:

Perennials don't "die".

They come back every year.

soulchaser
07-30-2017, 10:07 AM
For $50 million I assume there will be a building of some sort.

I wonder if the counselors and neighbours will approve it.

You assume too much. We're talking about the government after all.

Remember the Toronto 8 step staircase that City of Toronto official estimated would cost $65,000 - $150,000 and the old guy built out of wood for $550?

Incidentally, when the city pulled those wood steps out, it took 4 city of Toronto vehicles and 7 workers to take out what a 70 year old man and a homeless guy he paid to help him built.

FallisCowboy
07-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Incidentally, when the city pulled those wood steps out, it took 4 city of Toronto vehicles and 7 workers to take out what a 70 year old man and a homeless guy he paid to help him built.

Sorry for the slight derail, but did they actually replace it or just pull it out?

RangeBob
07-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Sorry for the slight derail, but did they actually replace it or just pull it out?

Last I heard was Post #27 in the thread (below link) -- that they'd just pulled it out, and were back to the drawing board about how to replace it due to the Mayor's comment about how much it was going to cost.
http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?41107-Toronto-man-builds-park-stairs-for-550/page3&p=504875#post504875

soulchaser
07-30-2017, 02:31 PM

They replaced them. Pic here:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toronto-park-s-new-stairs-will-cost-more-than-10k-city-councillor-1.3523946

The Mayor said it would cost $10,000.

Lefty councillor Shelly Carroll said it would be well over $10,000 because that figure didn't include labour.

Um, WTF?

Forbes/Hutton
07-30-2017, 02:33 PM
Well at least Turdo puts the ass in Assiniboine.

coastal
07-30-2017, 02:51 PM
I'm glad they can blow another 35 million on a park while our province is burning to the ground.

Forbes/Hutton
07-30-2017, 03:09 PM
I'm glad they can blow another 35 million on a park while our province is burning to the ground.

Just wait until you get the carbon tax bill for all those trees...

coastal
07-30-2017, 04:24 PM
Just wait until you get the carbon tax bill for all those trees...

Hahahahah

Kwaugh
07-30-2017, 07:25 PM
I am saddened. This could help at least three terrorists recover from their bad feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waterloomike
07-30-2017, 07:46 PM
This is what's going on here:

http://www.tvthrong.co.uk/files/u1520/triffids.jpg

awndray
07-31-2017, 11:22 AM
Food for thought:

The 80-year-old rock garden at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton has just undergone a major rejuvenation with funds from federal and provincial governments adding up to $21 million dollars.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/royal-botanical-garden-s-rock-garden-gets-a-makeover-1.3565997

Garden tourism is the largest tourism sector in North America. The botanical gardens of the U.S. generate more revenues than the entire U.S. gaming industry. Ten percent of all tourists visit the local botanical garden when they travel. Two percent of all tourists travel specifically to visit a botanical garden. Multiply 2% of Toronto’s tourists times the average length of stay and average daily spending and the number comes to over $250 million in tourism dollars per year attributable to Toronto’s future botanical garden. And that means about $57 million in new tax revenue to the three levels of government. It’s no wonder that elsewhere cities support their botanical gardens.

During my interview with Harry he waxes about his commitment to the new vision for the Toronto Botanical Garden. “For those of us who believe in conserving nature and making the world a better place, there is no better place to start. People come to visit botanical gardens mainly for the beauty, but they leave having learned something about plants and healthy ecosystems.

New York City has five botanical gardens; Montreal spends over twenty million dollars a year on its botanical garden; Toronto spends $25,000.
http://www.ngnews.ca/community/2015/1/16/botanical-gardens-good-for-tourism-4010572.html

RangeBob
08-03-2017, 12:05 AM
July 29, 2017
Winnipeg, Manitoba

The federal and provincial governments, along with the city of Winnipeg, will provide $60 million to build Canada’s Diversity Gardens in Assiniboine Park.

The Gardens will be built in the southeast corner of Assiniboine Park and are meant to celebrate the world’s cultural and bio-diversity.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Ottawa will contribute $35 million to the project at a news conference in the park on Saturday.

The province will commit $15 million while the city will provide $10 million.

Private sector donations totaling $10 million will also go towards the project.

“Today marks a true milestone in the redevelopment of Assiniboine Park. It’s through the critical support from all three levels of government that we are able to proceed with building Canada’s Diversity Gardens. We can’t thank them enough for their support of this magnificent project,” said Margaret Redmond, Assiniboine Park Conservancy President & CEO, in a news release.

The Gardens are meant to be a tourist attraction and will host students for environmental education programs.

hxxp://globalnews.ca/news/3634102/governments-pour-60-million-into-diversity-gardens-project-at-assiniboine-park/

Swampdonkey
08-03-2017, 12:22 AM
Awndray, there are private gardens that charge admission and do well. Why does the government need to compete with them, with their funds?

Waterloomike
08-03-2017, 03:52 AM
Also, where's their proof that those profits actually happened? How is that determined? How do they know this?

Government and numbers can have a wide margin of tolerance.

They are always motivated to claim their ideas work. Most of them don't.

awndray
08-03-2017, 05:17 AM
Who days they're competing?

speedloader
08-03-2017, 05:46 AM
why not through some more of our money away
diversity alright, weve never been more divided in this country thanks to him