PDA

View Full Version : Trudeau says Canada not looking to decriminalize harder drugs, experts call that ‘irresponsible’

Billythreefeathers
08-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Trudeau says Canada not looking to decriminalize harder drugs, experts call that ‘irresponsible’

http://globalnews.ca/news/3642299/trudeau-says-canada-not-looking-to-decriminalize-harder-drugs-experts-call-that-irresponsible/

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his government would not consider legalizing harder drugs, like heroin, to combat the overdose epidemic that has killed thousands of Canadians.

“There’s a lot of things we’ve done. But we are not looking at decriminalization or legalization of any other drugs other than what we are doing with marijuana,” Trudeau told Global BC’s The Morning Show on Tuesday. “We are going to focus on getting the control and regulation of marijuana regime right. And that is quite a handful right now and we are not looking at any other steps.”

Trudeau defended his government’s efforts in the battle against the growing opioid crisis, including making it easier to open safe injection sites, expanded access to naloxone, and allowing the importation of prescription heroin to treat severe addiction. The RCMP and China’s Ministry of Public Security have also agreed to share intelligence aimed at curbing the flow of fentanyl and other illicit synthetic opioids into Canada.

“I’ve been working with and meeting with frontline responders and community workers in [Vancouver’s] Downtown Eastside and indeed across the country,” Trudeau said.

“We are going to continue to work very hard to put an end to this terrible crisis.”

But one expert who has studied and witnessed the deadly scourge of illicit fentanyl called Trudeau’s comments “short-sighted” and said that without considering all policy tools in the fight against opioids more people will continue to die in communities across the country.

“It’s a crisis that is largely related to a toxic illegal drug supply. So taking options off the table to remove the poisons that are killing thousands and thousands of Canadians every year is frankly irresponsible,” said Dan Werb, director of the Toronto-based International Centre for Science in Drug Policy.

“We are beyond the point of crisis.”
Werb says that while there is no single solution to the epidemic, a regulated system would help improve access to lower dose opioids, make drugs more stable and prevent deaths, while also disrupting and disincentivizing the illegal and often deadly market for drugs like fentanyl.

“We basically have a regulated system for heroin,” he said. “On a very, very strict basis, people are allowed access to pharmaceutical grade heroin to manage their substance use disorder or opioid use disorder.”

“Why won’t they talk about expanding that set of policies?” he said. “Just to refuse to think about it smacks of politics.”

Canada’s Public Health Agency estimated that more than 2,450 people died from opioid-related overdoses in 2016, with many deaths associated with fentanyl. Statistics from provincial health agencies show the deadly trend has accelerated this year with fentanyl contributing to the deaths of four people on average every day in B.C. and Alberta.

Billythreefeathers
08-02-2017, 03:21 PM
smoke a bunch of joints and your a drug crises expert,,,

why not expand legal heroin or any other drug to be used under supervision???

Sinbad
08-02-2017, 03:27 PM
I can't stand the Turd. That being said I can understand him not considering legalizing harder drugs. Just look what it did to his mom He living proof drugs cause brain damage to the unborn fetus

soulchaser
08-02-2017, 03:54 PM
"“We are going to focus on getting the control and regulation of marijuana regime right. And that is quite a handful right now....."

Too late, champ.

It's still at least a year away and you've already f--ked it up

Billythreefeathers
08-02-2017, 04:00 PM
"“We are going to focus on getting the control and regulation of marijuana regime right. And that is quite a handful right now....."

Too late, champ.

It's still at least a year away and you've already f--ked it up

and in the mean time over 755 deaths in BC alone (2016) and it looks like we will break that in 2017

soulchaser
08-02-2017, 04:21 PM
and in the mean time over 755 deaths in BC alone (2016) and it looks like we will break that in 2017

There were at least 24 OD's and 5 deaths in Toronto over a 3 day period last week. All suspected opioid/fentanyl

Hillbillyreefer
08-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Nothing wrong with criminals taking themselves out. Free fentanyl for all of them if I was running the show.

I have zero compassion for shitrats, killing themselves or other scumbags. None. I'm tired of the theft and other crap that is associated with these dirtbags.

LB303
08-02-2017, 10:08 PM
Turdo sez... I'd better make some tea before clicking on that/ Tea calms me

Swampdonkey
08-03-2017, 12:59 AM
I don't see the need for intervention on drug enthusiasts. They should be free to consume drugs, and can be free to live and die as a consequence. I respect their freedom entirely; their choices are none of my business. Unless they choose to steal my stuff, or abuse me. Then disabling them is my first priority. And demanding that I pay for their medical care, that's a bit much.

Waterloomike
08-03-2017, 04:03 AM
Being free means people are going to do things you don't like.

How many people have been helped by going to prison? How many are recidivists?

Mark-II
08-03-2017, 08:38 AM
Nannys gotta nanny

Waterloomike
08-03-2017, 08:46 AM
Well, we only need to look at any prohibition ever imposed. Any prohibition.

We need to sort out which ones are necessary, such as the initiation of force against individuals and impose them harshly. Minimise what government must do.

tdod101
08-03-2017, 04:55 PM
Apparently Portugal legalized drugs and they're overdose & addiction cases went down. I guess some things just aren't as fun when it's legal.

Billythreefeathers
08-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Apparently Portugal legalized drugs and they're overdose & addiction cases went down. I guess some things just aren't as fun when it's legal.

well that and it's now pharm grade drugs not heroin cut with elephant tranquilizers

Waterloomike
08-03-2017, 05:42 PM
well that and it's now pharm grade drugs not heroin cut with elephant tranquilizers

i would give more common knowledge some credit.

tdod101
08-03-2017, 06:19 PM
it's now pharm grade drugs

Are you sure you don't mean small town Ontario?

Tecumseh
08-03-2017, 06:30 PM
I have a hard time believing legalising these drugs would stop the overdose epidemic. Many people are unfortunately already addicted, and legalising them will not magically make them "not addicted".

What is really needed is better rehab centres, and more power to sentence people into rehabilitation.

The way I see it, the people who are addicted are one's which need help. The dealers - the people who push and profit off of these drugs and addicted individuals are the scum of the earth, and there should be harsh consequences for these individual scumbags.

RangeBob
08-03-2017, 06:38 PM
It's not a question if marijuana is safe -- it's not.
It's not a question if marijuana is safer than cigarettes which are clearly bad -- it's worse than cigarettes.
It's not a question if it's medicinal for some people and has significant side effects -- many honestly report relief.
It's simply that criminalizing it caused more harm than good, wrecking of families of this generation and the fatherless next.

Tecumseh
08-03-2017, 06:46 PM
It's not a question if marijuana is safe -- it's not.
It's not a question if marijuana is safer than cigarettes which are clearly bad -- it's worse than cigarettes.
It's not a question if it's medicinal for some people and has significant side effects -- many honestly report relief.
It's simply that criminalizing it caused more harm than good, wrecking of families of this generation and the fatherless next.

I have no wish to indulge in Marijuana myself, but I think if people handle it reasonably, like most do alcohol, they can use it if they wish.

I think it's ridiculous to charge people for smoking a joint or a bong within their own home, harming no one.

If they go out drive while high, and cause damage - charge them for impaired driving, same goes for operating firearms or heavy machinery I'd guess.

Point is, don't punish people who smoke it, punish people who smoke it and are irresponsible about it, like we do with alcohol.

What I don't understand though, is the sort of religiously fanatical following Marijuana has with some people.

Back in my college days, people used to get all enraged at me because I told them they were stupid for smoking Marijuana.

I explained to them that while I am for legalisation, it is still illegal and it seems a little silly to risk a fine, or whatever, and a criminal record for something as minimal as weed. Obviously to these people weed was not "minimal", it was rather centrally important, as they were willing to risk fines, and a record for a plant.

Waterloomike
08-03-2017, 07:00 PM
I have a hard time believing legalising these drugs would stop the overdose epidemic. Many people are unfortunately already addicted, and legalising them will not magically make them "not addicted".

What is really needed is better rehab centres, and more power to sentence people into rehabilitation.

The way I see it, the people who are addicted are one's which need help. The dealers - the people who push and profit off of these drugs and addicted individuals are the scum of the earth, and there should be harsh consequences for these individual scumbags.

Many of these enablers are corporate employees and the drugs are already legal.

killer kane
08-03-2017, 07:17 PM
And it's not going to stop them from trying to break into my house to get stuff to steal for their fix. I guess that's what the dogs and whatever i need to protect myself and my family is for.

blacksmithden
08-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Nothing wrong with criminals taking themselves out. Free fentanyl for all of them if I was running the show.

I have zero compassion for shitrats, killing themselves or other scumbags. None. I'm tired of the theft and other crap that is associated with these dirtbags.

Beat me to it. This problem will solve itself if we just let nature take its course.

BruceW
08-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Funny how the left is all about darwin over religion and (without realizing it as they don't actually read anything of value) natural selection, but whenever natural selection comes into play it's somehow a, "travesty" and people, "must be, "saved"".

I like the meme about taking the warning labels off everything and let nature take it's course.....damn few liberal voters left after a couple yrs I'd wager.

FallisCowboy
08-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Beat me to it. This problem will solve itself if we just let nature take its course.

But then, all the bleeding heart, "progressives" won't be able to feel good about themselves..........all while dipping into the taxpayers (our) pockets. I personally like the soylent green solution, use it to feed all the welfare bums, it's like recycling the stupid.

Waterloomike
08-07-2017, 05:33 PM
But then, all the bleeding heart, "progressives" won't be able to feel good about themselves..........all while dipping into the taxpayers (our) pockets. I personally like the soylent green solution, use it to feed all the welfare bums, it's like recycling the stupid.

They won't be able to feel good, but they will give them safe houses where they can hit up and meet dealers.

And at the same time, tell tax payers that they have to fund prisons to put offenders in, let them out so they can reoffend. Prisons have dope, too.

It does nothing to prohibit things that people do to themselves.

Waterloomike
08-07-2017, 07:55 PM
They won't be able to feel good, but they will give them safe houses where they can hit up and meet dealers.

And at the same time, tell tax payers that they have to fund prisons to put offenders in, let them out so they can reoffend. Prisons have dope, too.

It does nothing to prohibit things that people do to themselves.

Oh yeah, another thing is that when Harper was PM, we used to hear about prison incidents and prison drug use. A lot of other things as well, because the msm could use it to rail against conservatives.

But now that his nibs is pm, silence, crickets, nada, zip.

That's just how bad the msm is, The fix is in.

It's not worth reading or watching.

Hillbillyreefer
08-08-2017, 08:00 AM

If we used dead junkies, would the drugs from the OD carry over to be used by the next junkie? Think of the savings!

Waterloomike
08-08-2017, 08:47 AM
If we used dead junkies, would the drugs from the OD carry over to be used by the next junkie? Think of the savings!

It will be like any other welfare scheme. The more money you spend, all the more will show up.

If dead is the requirement, they'll all be saying they're dead. But you can't believe anything a junkie says.

Rory McCanuck
08-08-2017, 10:38 AM
http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=3119&d=1502210255

RangeBob
08-08-2017, 12:03 PM
August 8, 2017
California

Here's a story that's bound to drive the environmentalist Left crazy: marijuana growers are ruining California's forests.

According to Reuters, illegal weed growers have been using banned pesticides and fertilizers to the point where there are now "731,000 pounds of solid fertilizer, 491,000 ounces of concentrated liquid fertilizer and 200,000 ounces of toxic pesticides" on federal land.

"If much of the pesticide and fertilizer were released into a single stream rather than scattered around the state in leaky containers, the volume would exceed the amount of chemicals spilled in 2014 into the Elk River in West Virginia, which left 300,000 residents without access to potable water," the report notes.

Reuters also highlights the fact that the cleanup from such toxic chemicals costs taxpayers $100 million and there is "a backlog of 639 illegal marijuana farms awaiting restoration in California." Even after there's a cleanup, as much as half of those toxic chemicals remain on the site.

To understand just how toxic these chemicals are, there are examples of people, including those in law enforcement, having to be hospitalized due to "skin rashes, respiratory problems and other symptoms" stemming from being exposed to those chemicals. Additionally, these chemicals were also detrimental to natural wildlife.

Weed legalization doesn't seem to be the answer to this pollution problem, as the report points out that a black market for marijuana will continue to exist in order to avoid the bureaucratic red tape and taxes.

In fact, weed legalization could actually be even more harmful to the environment (via Phys.org):

...William Vizuete, associate professor of environment sciences and engineering at UNC's Gillings School of Global Public health and Kirsti Ashworth, research fellow at Lancaster University's Lancaster Environment Centre say that this expanded cultivation carries with it serious environmental effects.

Their article points out that cannabis is an especially needy crop requiring high temperatures (25-30 °C for indoor operations), strong light, highly fertile soil and large volumes of water - around twice that of wine grapes. In addition, the authors state that the few available studies of marijuana cultivation have uncovered potentially significant environmental impacts due to excessive water and energy demands and local contamination of water, air, and soil.

For example, a study of illegal outdoor grow operations in northern California found that rates of water extraction from streams threatened aquatic ecosystems. High levels of growth nutrients, as well as pesticides, herbicides and fungicides, also found their way back into the local environment, further damaging aquatic wildlife.

These are certainly serious issues that states like California, which recently legalized weed, will have to figure out soon. In the meantime, sit back, relax and take pleasure in watching hippies twist themselves into a pretzel trying to reconcile their love for weed with love for the environment.

hxxp://www.dailywire.com/news/19453/heavy-dude-pot-growers-ruining-forests-california-aaron-bandler

wolver
08-08-2017, 05:42 PM

Very few people wake up one morning and make the conscious decision to become a fentanyl abusing scumbag for he rest of their short lives.

infidel29
08-08-2017, 07:44 PM
There were at least 24 OD's and 5 deaths in Toronto over a 3 day period last week. All suspected opioid/fentanyl

What I feel bad for are the six or so Alberta prison guards that came into accidental contact with this stuff while doing mail search and ODed on it, I think it was in the course of last week alone if I recall the article correctly! Hope they live. Maybe they should stop accepting mail for criminals in jail?

Suputin
08-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Very few people wake up one morning and make the conscious decision to become a fentanyl abusing scumbag for he rest of their short lives.

Very few people seem to have any clue that a potential negative outcome of taking these drugs is addiction and possible overdose. Even though we have all been bombarded with tv, movies and news stories for years about how opiate drugs are highly addictive. You'd have to be a complete MORON to not be aware of this issue. I have ZERO compassion for people who don't use their heads and prevent themselves from becoming addicted.

Eight years ago I ended up on all kinds of opiate drugs after breaking my femur and hip in a motorcycle accident. I was popping the pills every day until I began to recognize the symptoms of addiction in myself, at which point, I decided that no little white pill was gonna run my life. So I reduced the amount I was taking daily and eventually stopped taking them at all after a few days. Its a pretty easy thing to do .... if you aren't a total wuss.

I know all about what it is like to be in pain but I'd rather accept the pain than end up a fricken pathetic junkie. The problem with most people is they are weak .... weak willed and weak minded and they can't tolerate a little adversity.

Forbes/Hutton
08-08-2017, 11:19 PM
Very few people seem to have any clue that a potential negative outcome of taking these drugs is addiction and possible overdose. Even though we have all been bombarded with tv, movies and news stories for years about how opiate drugs are highly addictive. You'd have to be a complete MORON to not be aware of this issue. I have ZERO compassion for people who don't use their heads and prevent themselves from becoming addicted.

Eight years ago I ended up on all kinds of opiate drugs after breaking my femur and hip in a motorcycle accident. I was popping the pills every day until I began to recognize the symptoms of addiction in myself, at which point, I decided that no little white pill was gonna run my life. So I reduced the amount I was taking daily and eventually stopped taking them at all after a few days. Its a pretty easy thing to do .... if you aren't a total wuss.

I know all about what it is like to be in pain but I'd rather accept the pain than end up a fricken pathetic junkie. The problem with most people is they are weak .... weak willed and weak minded and they can't tolerate a little adversity.

I couple of years ago I herniated the C4-C5 lumbar disk. Sciatica went down my right leg like a lightening bolt and from the waist down the right leg was one giant cramp. I was seeing a sports doctor, and he was messing about with lightweight stuff when the sciatica jumped a notch and left me face down on the ground unable to move. I was taken to the ER where they had me on a morphine drip for a couple of hours and sent me out the door with a script for oxycontin. The prescription was for 2 pills every 4 hours and that left me feeling high and happy. That wasn't the job for the oxy, it was meant for pain and I could see that staying at that level for months waiting for surgery would lead to bad things. Switch to 1 pill every 4 hours and the pain became noticeable, but I could (just) live with it. The sports doctor was not happy to hear that I had dropped, and got a script for oxy as a result but was happy that I had cut back on my own. Months later I had a last oxy at 8am and the surgery at 1pm. Woke up in recovery at 3pm, stood up, got dressed (with having to lean on a wall for the first time in a year) and left. Spent a couple of days on ibuprofen to deal with the pain/swelling from the surgery but never touched the oxy again. Three days later I was bored and shovelled the snow off the driveway, despite 4" worth of stitches right along the spine...
I could have been willfully ignorant and spent several months taking too much oxy, and probably had a addiction as a result, or I could have done what I did, realize that the dose was more than I needed to make the pain livable, not go away and make me dopey. There are too many people that want instant and complete relief and a little bit more too. My back was buggered, I wasn't supposed to be happy and carefree, I fact I was in pain and very depressed, which is the way it should be with a major injury. All is good again, my only addictions are the old ones: nicotine and caffeine.

killer kane
08-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Had my hip replaced June 2nd, was completely off the oxy by the end of the next week.

Billythreefeathers
08-10-2017, 10:32 AM
I guess as I've grown older I'm become a little more compassionate to my fellow man/woman.
It doesn't matter who drive the car to where we are today, the matter is we're here and people are dying,
needlessly.

If you are addicted to anything we should be able to help you and all the tools should be
available to properly trained medical staff,,

yep there are those who want no help, to them I will give a garbage bag of bottles and cans,,,