PDA

View Full Version : Marriage decline is bad for our children, economy

Swampdonkey
08-10-2017, 03:34 PM
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrea-mrozek-and-peter-jon-mitchell-marriage-decline-is-bad-for-our-children-economy/wcm/3cf46712-3eca-4f0b-9aeb-d8158c827ab2

You could sugarcoat the newly released 16 Census data on families, households, and marital status by applauding the rise of family diversity in Canada. Yet family diversity is so often a euphemism for family breakdown, which is something thatís generally painful. A more honest take on the data is that Canadaís 40-plus-year decline in marriage rates continues, signifying a cultural shift that hurts our children, culture, and economy. Worse still, itís not what Canadians want.

In 2001, married couples made up 84 per cent of all couples. Today, that number is 78.7 per cent. As marriage has declined, more couples are choosing to live together outside of marriage. ďShacking up,Ē as it was once known, described the living arrangements of 16.4 per cent of all couples in 2001, and has risen to 21 per cent of all couples today.

Family stability and marriage go together like a horse and carriage. Sociologists writing in the Journal of Marriage and Family note that, ďa lack of marriage and the growth in cohabitation, alongside the growing trend of single parenting, portends growth in family instability.Ē In World Family Map 2017 sociologists Brad Wilcox and Laurie DeRose report that American children in cohabiting families are 15 to 31 per cent more likely to experience a parental split by age 12 than children growing up in families with married parents (depending on their motherís education level). The resulting instability may mean children have to move frequently, or adjust to a parentís new partner living in the home. Stick-handling parentsí squabbles can become a time consuming hobby for the children of divorce.

Growing up in an intact married home increases the likelihood of children getting good grades and graduating from high school and college, even when accounting for socioeconomic factors. Having married parents is also correlated with a lower likelihood of children participating in risky behaviours, like drug abuse or early sexual initiation. Happily, many great kids from non-married parent homes become successful adults. But this doesnít change the fact that adult relationship decisions affect children.

Many will counter that marriage isnít all that stable. Donít half of them end in divorce? Not quite. The most recent data on divorce suggests that the rate was closer to 38 per cent in 2008. Marriage isnít perfect, itís just a safer family form in which to raise children, and we know that healthy marriages have measurable, positive outcomes for adults.

Numerous studies indicate that people in high-quality marriages tend to be at lower risk of suffering a heart attack, and better odds of surviving one. The happily married are also more likely to recover from illness, including cancer, and lead healthier lives.

This doesnít mean marriage is a panacea for social problems. However, stable marriages are

a public good. When marriages dissolve, there are emotional and financial implications for family members that can reverberate through the wider community. One estimate by Andrea Mrozek and researcher Rebecca Walberg suggests

that the public cost of family breakdown is about $7 billion annually. Thatís the equivalent of hosting the Vancouver winter Olympics every year.

The diminishing marriage numbers confirm a well-known cultural shift. When couples wed 40 years ago, they were typically starting out in life together. Marriage served as a foundation on which other experiences, such as careers, homeownership, and children rested. Today marriage is one option among many. On average, we marry later in life, often after living together first. More of us are having children or purchasing a home before tying the knot. The same trends are evident across the globe.

Even so, last year Nanos Research still found 78 per cent of Canadians view marriage as a positive aspect of family life. We just donít seem to know how to get there.

Given that a healthy marriage contributes to family stability, thereís a need for recovery of the institution. Marriage has declined in Western countries for many economic and social reasons, making it difficult to reverse the trends. We know marriage tends to thrive in communities where couplesí relationships serve as a model for the next generation, and receives support from other institutions and networks. The more healthy marriages young Canadians see and experience, the better. And it would also help to make a deliberate and clear distinction between marriage and cohabitation in popular culture Ė maybe even in tax policy.

We should pay attention to family stability. We need to recognize the contribution that a healthy marriage culture makes to building thriving societies, so that we can work to reverse some of our failing family trends.

National Post

Andrea Mrozek is program director of Cardus Family. Peter Jon Mitchell is senior researcher at Cardus, www.cardus.ca/family.

Swampdonkey
08-10-2017, 04:03 PM
The best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.

And

Before a woman can be a good mother, she must be a good wife.

RangeBob
08-10-2017, 04:51 PM

And

Kay Arthur wrote a book "A Marriage Without Regrets (2000)", which has two chapters pg 55-101
- What is expected of the Husband
- I'm a woman! (What is expected of the Wife)
which I think are really good.

It starts with the idea that their first loyalty is to each other, husband to the wife, wife to the husband, above all others. Above their children. Above their extended family. Above the Law. They are one body, so to hurt the other is to hurt themselves. To benefit the other is to benefit themself.

The second loyalty is to their close family, namely their children.

And she runs through many examples and details from both recent events and her interpretation of the bible's advice, both of which have a ring of truth. Not necessarily easy, but definitely workable.

-----------------

In choosing a wife, think of the children.
If a man is attracted because she's beautiful and fun, while ignoring that she's not kind and not smart and hates kids, he's choosing unwisely and will end up depressed or divorced or both.

Petamocto
08-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Is this even up for debate?

Ask the black community in large cities how the single parent downward spiral is working out for them. Dad's in jail = fatherless kids = teens in trouble = dad's in jail = fatherless kids = teens in trouble...

I don't care how leftist someone is, I would love for them to try to explain how someone coming from a single parent household has an advantage of any kind.

Recent stats even show a MASSIVE fraction of child abuse can be narrowed down to the single factor of a step parent being involved in the equation. Not a slight boost, not a percentage increase, but a multiple-fold increase of 100x, not 100%.

Swampdonkey
08-11-2017, 12:14 AM
https://youtu.be/TnhhZ0LVNPU

Who remembers this? I do.

firemachine69
08-11-2017, 05:42 AM

And

Patiently awaiting the inevitable SJW feminists to come attack your opinion and destroy your reputation.

Swampdonkey
08-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Is this even up for debate?.

It was debated after an activist judge instituted no-fault divorce. When sperm banks received public funding. When single adults could adopt. When activist judges decided that marriage between a man and a woman was discriminatory. Government-subsidized daycare.

Assert that the basic social structure is the family - consisting of one husband and one wife for life, and the children of that marriage - and you'll be derided as a a hateful sexist fascist social conservative with no place in modern society. But as the truth shows us whenever we look, a traditional family (real family) is the foundation of a functional community.

How is this up for debate? I don't know. Ironic that the debate is suppressed by those who deny the obvious.

Swampdonkey
08-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Petamocto, why use the black community as your example? Canadian Indians are just as pervasive, and more relevant to us. See the murdered missing aboriginal women inquiry. The obvious failure of that subculture is the failure to form and maintain families. Fathers should spend their time and money with their families instead of alcohol. Women should breed with a loving husband, not some jerk at a party.

What's the usual difference between White Trash and White Privelege? It's that the parents are married, or not married.

awndray
08-11-2017, 12:36 PM
You don't need marriage to raise children properly.

Female-headed, single-parent families have more than doubled in numbers and as a proportion of all families with children in the United States since 1970. They are a major component of the “feminization of poverty” and of child poverty, and they are at the heart of the welfare conundrum. These demographic trends are shared with West Europe, but the societal responses have been, for the most part, extremely different. As we struggle to develop our own policy responses, it will be instructive to see what European countries have done.
Full PDF article - https://www.nationalaffairs.com/storage/app/uploads/public/58e/1a4/dec/58e1a4dec77e9657728143.pdf

But you do need a healthy relationship between the parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--0C-xslUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1gydUfd7Sg

t_glover
08-12-2017, 04:11 AM
I did the lions share of raising 3 children as a single parent. Years ago my wife packed up and left
me with 2 daughters 7 and 8 years old and a son who was 12 years old.
Looking back I think I did a good job. They all all in their thirties now and functioning adults
working at decent paying jobs in long term relationships and raising children. Most of all
they are happy with their lives.

Why did the children of my single parent family not turn out to be dysfunctional?
There was a male parent in the family? Having a trade I always had a decent paycheck coming in.
When My children had a problem with the way I felt our household should be run I would tell them
"You could always move in with your mother" That usually ended the discussion. She is bipolar
and her life was a disaster.

I believe that children growing up in poverty with no hope for a future is the real problem.

Terry

Butters Stotch
08-12-2017, 02:10 PM
https://youtu.be/TnhhZ0LVNPU

Who remembers this? I do.

A mediocre tv show from the late 80's early 90's? I remember quite a few of those.

Lee Enfield
08-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Stats don't shock me! Countless guys want nothing to do with marriage as the courts are skewed to favour females. Why risk the chance knowing 50% of first, 67% of second and 74% of third end in divorce, you have better odds playing Russian roulette and it is less painful.

Swampdonkey
08-12-2017, 11:34 PM
Patiently awaiting the inevitable SJW feminists to come attack your opinion and destroy your reputation.

The fact that they can't pick (or be) responsible, respectful spouses testifies to how well they judge character. I welcome any mudslinging my way.

I am actually quite close with a couple of failed spouses/parents. While both have lived very poorly in the past, now they're honest, humble, and mature about their lifestyles and choices. Like AA says, the first step to recovery is getting past denial.

I think it's plausible to frame the decline of families nowadays in terms of cowardice. It takes courage to get married, raise children. It takes sacrifice, risk, responsibility, laying down one's life for another whom might not necessarily deserve it. Most westerners aren't up to it, hence few families are formed and fewer are maintained. Our culture is comitting suicide for the same reasons individuals commit suicide - they can't bear to keep going on as they are, and aren't willing to make the painful changes either, so they opt out of life itself.

Swampdonkey
08-14-2017, 10:12 AM
https://youtu.be/Rc_NNjV0s1o

Carguy2550
08-15-2017, 08:39 PM
Our culture is comitting suicide for the same reasons individuals commit suicide - they can't bear to keep going on as they are, and aren't willing to make the painful changes either, so they opt out of life itself.

...because society, government, and the overall culture choose not to recognize, teach, support, and validate what it takes to build and sustain a prosperous and decent society.

Swampdonkey
08-17-2017, 02:51 PM
https://youtu.be/HFW0z0Y5TR4

Swampdonkey
08-17-2017, 02:52 PM
...because society, government, and the overall culture choose not to recognize, teach, support, and validate what it takes to build and sustain a prosperous and decent society.

It's a hard reality to face up to. It makes a real family that much more of an accomplishment.

I've started introducing Mrs Swampdonkey as my Satutory Wife, just to be clear we're actually married.

RangeBob
08-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Someone commented the other day that it used to be that a man could earn enough to support his family, but today both parents have to work.
Some of that is because we've got more stuff in our homes than we used to, and a lot of it lasts 5 years and not 50 years,
but the biggie is obvious but not mentioned very often. And that is when women entered the workforce the number of workers doubled. The law of supply and demand dictates that when that happens the value of each individual worker is halved, and thus pay is now half what it would otherwise be.
I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing because there are other issues involved -- not the least of which is international competition including child labour -- it just is.

speedloader
08-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Quite honestly I feel bad for the young couples they have no chance
and MR Selphie the clown has added to that and will keep adding to it more and more
with his bullshit climatard tax and tax on everything else he can get away with
and don't forget the cities and provinces and their money scams on every aspect of your life

I know how hard we struggled when things were less than half the cost they are now
and we both worked full time can't imagine the debt it would take on a new home now
not to mention a functioning family with hobbies
do I blame the decline on goverment scams and bullshit hell yes
its all relative and none of these idiots can see the connection between functioning families and a strong economy
Harper did........ but that wasn't good enough

Swampdonkey
08-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Quite honestly I feel bad for the young couples they have no chance
and MR Selphie the clown has added to that and will keep adding to it more and more
with his bullshit climatard tax and tax on everything else he can get away with
and don't forget the cities and provinces and their money scams on every aspect of your life

I know how hard we struggled when things were less than half the cost they are now
and we both worked full time can't imagine the debt it would take on a new home now
not to mention a functioning family with hobbies
do I blame the decline on goverment scams and bullshit hell yes
its all relative and none of these idiots can see the connection between functioning families and a strong economy
Harper did........ but that wasn't good enough

On one hand, fair enough. On the other . . .

"To expect life to treat you good is foolish as hoping a bull won't hit you because you're vegetarian" - Roseanne Barr

Nothing will change that fact that real families are essential to functioning societies. If we don't have what it takes, Canada is done. It might not be fair, but it is true.

BruceW
08-19-2017, 06:59 AM
Simple fact is without monogamous heterosexual marriages there is no society. No reason for there to be. Without the afformentioned there is no reason to give a damn about the future or support the values that come out of the above.

awndray
08-21-2017, 06:18 AM
Simple-minded fact, perhaps.

Doug_M
08-21-2017, 06:46 AM

Well no. That isn't to say there aren't great single parents who do a great job raising their kids who in turn become great people. But one simply has to look at inner city african americans to see what happens when the family unit is forsaken. The ugly truth there is high levels of absent fathers has resulted in high levels of societal decay. The question is what percentage of a society can be single parents and the society still sustain itself, 5%, 15%, 50% etc? Single parenthood is not something to aspire to, to admire or to celebrate. It is something to avoid.

awndray
08-21-2017, 06:55 AM
There is no reason society can't exist without marriage. That's what we're discussing here. So, yes.

Doug_M
08-21-2017, 07:29 AM
There is no reason society can't exist without marriage. That's what we're discussing here. So, yes.

Depends on your definition of marriage. A man and woman who raise their children together while co-habitating in a relationship where they are dedicated to not just their children but each other is essential to society. Where that ceases to exist in significant numbers you always find a decayed society. Always.

BruceW
08-24-2017, 07:05 AM

Ahh yes, there's the left wing response to reality, would you like to directly call me a name you leftists think means you win the discussion too?

awndray
08-24-2017, 07:39 AM
Is there proof of this "always" claim?

There's no need to redefine it. There is also no absolute need for co-habitation.

And no, there is no need for name calling. I'm saying the so-called fact is simple-minded. Seems you're the one doing the name calling.

Doug_M
08-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Is there proof of this "always" claim?

There's no need to redefine it. There is also no absolute need for co-habitation.

Yes there is. As I pointed out earlier, looking at inner cities with large african american populations where there are large numbers of "non-co-habitation" (how's that for a made up word) where kids are raised by just the mum, there one finds the highest crime rates. Studies have also shown that regardless of where one lives (i.e. inner city vs rural) or what one's economic background is, those who grow up with a mum and dad together at home are far more likely to be successful in life than those who don't.

Doug_M
08-24-2017, 08:31 AM
http://www.yourazlawfirm.com/40-facts-two-parent-families/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2930824/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/83670-effects-single-parent-home-childs/

There's a ton of these from gov, edu and psychology associations. The general points are what I stated before, that while some single parents can do a good job, most kids have a better life (as an adult) having being raised by two parents who co-habitate. As with anything there are exceptions of course. Bad marriages where there is lots of conflict is one of them. In those cases the child tends to fare the same as those raised by single parents.

Swampdonkey
08-25-2017, 10:09 PM
Awndray, would you like to share about your bad childhood experiences with family?

I'm part of a failed family too, and I know it can be confusing and traumatic.

awndray
08-25-2017, 11:31 PM
You're making assumptions.

firemachine69
08-26-2017, 04:00 AM
You're making assumptions.

I've got a few friends who were raised by single moms - some won't admit it, but most are pretty messed up and have become liberal beta cuck males. They were raised without those male "cues" that boys really need.

Swampdonkey
08-29-2017, 09:08 AM
I've got a few friends who were raised by single moms - some won't admit it, but most are pretty messed up and have become liberal beta cuck males. They were raised without those male "cues" that boys really need.

It's hard to be a normal, respectful but competent man with feminism destroying the fairer sex. First they tried reversing gender roles, now it's gender identity. It took me a long time to find a family-oriented wife, and even so we clash over family conduct.

Run 'n' Gun
08-29-2017, 10:02 AM
My dad died when I was 6, my mom raised 3 boys (I'm the youngest) making a crap wage. We all learned to stick up for each other, be self reliant, if you want something, you have to go and work for it because no one will just give you shit. We all had our first job in our early teens, are married, 2 of 3 are tradesmen making a good wage, 1 is in business for himself (and he didn't finish HS), and we all vote to the right.
Some of the BS I just read is just that, BS, I don't care what background a person comes from. All a kid needs is a strong moral shove in the right direction (drugs, fighting, don't rip people off, etc.) , a good work ethic, and love. You can get that from either parent, both is just more.

Billythreefeathers
08-29-2017, 10:07 AM
a family friend is bring her nephew, 19, to my back yard for the labour day weekend. Raised by single mom, He's a liberal beta cuck male, just met him briefly last week, but that pretty much sums it up. He'll be getting a big does of real male guidance this weekend, LOL time to put my Sargent Major hat on ;D

and OOhh look, 12 post from 5K

firemachine69
08-30-2017, 10:32 AM
My dad died when I was 6, my mom raised 3 boys (I'm the youngest) making a crap wage. We all learned to stick up for each other, be self reliant, if you want something, you have to go and work for it because no one will just give you shit. We all had our first job in our early teens, are married, 2 of 3 are tradesmen making a good wage, 1 is in business for himself (and he didn't finish HS), and we all vote to the right.
Some of the BS I just read is just that, BS, I don't care what background a person comes from. All a kid needs is a strong moral shove in the right direction (drugs, fighting, don't rip people off, etc.) , a good work ethic, and love. You can get that from either parent, both is just more.

That's great. Except it doesn't invalidate the statistics. Look at Detroit if you want a real-time example of the reality of fatherless children. Then again, you said your father died. Much different than being abandoned by him...

Swampdonkey
08-30-2017, 03:38 PM
George Burns dying at 102 doesn't mean smoking and drinking are a health benefit.

Anecdotal evidence isn't good evidence, not to mention there are many factors in childhood development and diverse influences which often mitigate bad parenting.

Candychikita
08-30-2017, 07:47 PM
http://www.yourazlawfirm.com/40-facts-two-parent-families/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2930824/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/83670-effects-single-parent-home-childs/

There's a ton of these from gov, edu and psychology associations. The general points are what I stated before, that while some single parents can do a good job, most kids have a better life (as an adult) having being raised by two parents who co-habitate. As with anything there are exceptions of course. Bad marriages where there is lots of conflict is one of them. In those cases the child tends to fare the same as those raised by single parents.

High conflict relationships, families with abuse present or have narcissistic parents are some of the places where children do poorly without additional guidance. Having a single parent who exhibits these characteristics gives kids no place to turn whereas two parents in the equation helps to dilute the effects. That said, why would someone want to remain with a partner who has these characteristics?

I think some attention needs to be paid to why family units are dissolving. Why are these poor partners in existence (that no one will stay in a relationship with them)? Why are these negative enrgies focussed ON the family and not used FOR the family? Is there something that is influencing this behaviour that can be reduced to produce better partnerships? Is there a "cure"?

Having kids as a single person is not an easy life for anyone. If it was a choice, it had to have been better than the alternative...

Waterloomike
08-30-2017, 07:57 PM
My Grandparents raised me. They were born in the 1880s and 1890s.

A better value system was and is not available.

I owe everything to them, for all that is good in my life, that my wife is not responsible for.

Doug_M
08-31-2017, 05:45 AM
Having kids as a single person is not an easy life for anyone. If it was a choice, it had to have been better than the alternative...

Various studies (including some of the articles I quoted) stated that single parenthood can be better for children than high conflict relationships. I don't think anyone is arguing that. Nor is anyone arguing that all single parents are bad or not doing their best etc. Just that statistically two parents are better and as such society should not encourage single parenthood as a choice apart from circumstance. No, that doesn't mean every existing single parent should rush out and get married or that every single parent who was married (or partnered) and left made the wrong choice. Rather society should endeavour to foster two-parent cohabitating families.

sltoronto
08-31-2017, 08:27 AM
That's great. Except it doesn't invalidate the statistics. Look at Detroit if you want a real-time example of the reality of fatherless children. Then again, you said your father died. Much different than being abandoned by him...

This because Democratic Party rulers there continuing their slave plantation policies and methods and keeping inner-cities as city plantations ...
this allows to keep the people there to be dependent on them and keep voting for them ...

a rope instead of a ladder ...

Swampdonkey
09-01-2017, 03:42 PM
This because Democratic Party rulers there continuing their slave plantation policies and methods and keeping inner-cities as city plantations ...
this allows to keep the people there to be dependent on them and keep voting for them ...

a rope instead of a ladder ...

Sounds like Canada's Indian Reserve system.

Waterloomike
09-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Sounds like Canada's Indian Reserve system.

This is the welfare state. More welfare, more state.

RimfireFans
09-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Simple fact is without monogamous heterosexual marriages there is no society.

Incorrect. Marriage is not required for procreation, nor to form a society.

Society: the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.

Waterloomike
09-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Incorrect. Marriage is not required for procreation, nor to form a society.

What kind of order would you have in a society where marriage wasn't practiced for procreation?

firemachine69
09-02-2017, 08:35 AM
What kind of order would you have in a society where marriage wasn't practiced for procreation?

Actually, marriage was created for societal order.

Waterloomike
09-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Actually, marriage was created for societal order.

That well may be.

I believe in marriage, but I don't believe the government should be involved.

Everything they touch turns to $#!+ and costs far more than it's worth or would cost anyone else doing the same thing.

I think good people make things work. Many of the fine people I know are married.

lone-wolf
09-02-2017, 09:15 AM
I believe in marriage, but I don't believe the government should be involved.
Without government what you believe, and what I believe, how we live - doesn't really affect each other.

Involve government in it, and it does go to s***, suddenly we're trying to out weaponize the government against each other.

Waterloomike
09-02-2017, 09:29 AM
Without government what you believe, and what I believe, how we live - doesn't really affect each other.

Involve government in it, and it does go to s***, suddenly we're trying to out weaponize the government against each other.

Govt has a very narrow sphere where they should function and possibly be not as terrible as they are at everything they try.

Govt must be ruled with an iron fist: get out of line and smash that to smithereens.

They do a terrible job of holding themselves to account and cannot in any way be trusted to do so.

How much proof do people need?

RangeBob
09-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Govt has a very narrow sphere where they should function and possibly be not as terrible as they are at everything they try.

constitutional duties of government:

Constitution Act, 1867 sets out the division of powers:

Exclusive Federal Jurisdiction
- Peace, order and good government
- Any form of taxation
- International/interprovincial trade and commerce, communications & transportation
- Banking and currency
- Foreign affairs (treaties)
- Militia and defense
- Criminal law and penitentiaries
- Naturalization
- Weights, measures, copyrights, patents
- First Nations
- Residual powers
- Declaratory power
- Disallowance and reservation
- Unemployment insurance and old age pensions

Joint Federal & Provincial Powers
- Immigration
- Agriculture
- Pensions

Exclusive Provincial Jurisdiction
- Anything local or private in nature
- Direct taxation
- Crown lands and natural resources
- Hospitals (health sector)
- Education
- Welfare
- Municipalities
- Local works
- Intraprovincial transportation and business
- Administration of justice
- Property and civil rights, such as firearms
- Cooperatives and savings banks

-- http://www.mapleleafweb.com/features/federal-government-canada-organization-institutions-issues.html

Waterloomike
09-02-2017, 04:03 PM
constitutional duties of government:

Constitution Act, 1867 sets out the division of powers:

Exclusive Federal Jurisdiction
- Peace, order and good government
- Any form of taxation
- International/interprovincial trade and commerce, communications & transportation
- Banking and currency
- Foreign affairs (treaties)
- Militia and defense
- Criminal law and penitentiaries
- Naturalization
- Weights, measures, copyrights, patents
- First Nations
- Residual powers
- Declaratory power
- Disallowance and reservation
- Unemployment insurance and old age pensions

Joint Federal & Provincial Powers
- Immigration
- Agriculture
- Pensions

Exclusive Provincial Jurisdiction
- Anything local or private in nature
- Direct taxation
- Crown lands and natural resources
- Hospitals (health sector)
- Education
- Welfare
- Municipalities
- Local works
- Intraprovincial transportation and business
- Administration of justice
- Property and civil rights, such as firearms
- Cooperatives and savings banks

-- http://www.mapleleafweb.com/features/federal-government-canada-organization-institutions-issues.html

They haven't managed the very first one. And everything else, they screwed up magnificently.

Thanks for that Bob. You're a walking encyclopedia, but much better.

I know their official scope is larger than i would like and their success rate is low.

Swampdonkey
09-08-2017, 04:05 PM

There comes a point, however, that how I live does affect you. Everything we share needs to be shared on common terms: that is part of the social contract.

If we share language, then we need to agree on established pronouns. If we share roads, we need to agree on universal terms of use. If we share currency, then we need to agree not to abuse it by defaulting on debt or devaluing currency for other users.

We have Canadians wanting to benefit from the country's assets, but not wanting to contribute to their upkeep or even abide by their terms of use. At some point, there won't be a recognizable order or even a common understanding of what that order should be, at which point Canadians are just barbarians.

Family is the most basic social order. It predates money, property, industry, warfare, or any other hierarchy. We're losing our humanity here.