PDA

View Full Version : Real manly man's thread of manliness... and ponies

harbl_the_cat
10-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Holy Buck!

This has been a pretty rough MLP off season. It sure has felt like forever since the Royal Wedding finale.

At long last my fellow Bronies, there's some indication of when our beloved show is starting up again... sometime in November

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CtZqyZ-WywE/UGnZVc3v8mI/AAAAAAAAAY0/zBppYyfVm6s/s400/Screen-shot-2012-10-01-at-12.40.02-PM.png

Sunshine, sunshine, lady-bugs awake. Clap your hooves and do a little shake!

This calls for a Scratch Attack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsHDfeje0nE

/)

JustBen
10-01-2012, 01:05 PM
I still don't get the my little pony thing.

sDot
10-01-2012, 01:16 PM

It's probably like being gay but without the commitment. You just watch girls TV shows until you get it out of your system..

It's like trying to quit smoking and chewing tobacco instead to get your fix.

jonanddad
10-01-2012, 01:23 PM

I agree...

jwirecom109
10-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Again with this?...

harbl_the_cat
10-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Again with this?...

A lot of folks (self included) have been waiting with much anticipation for the 3rd season :)

RobSmith
10-01-2012, 03:45 PM
If anything it changes the typical image of a gun owner ;)

hillbillyr
10-01-2012, 04:07 PM
If anything it changes the typical image of a gun owner ;)

From crazy to creepy not much of a step IMHO lol

zulu
10-01-2012, 08:03 PM

Plus one more to what ben said

sDot
10-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Lol

harbl_the_cat
10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
The show is just really good. It's targetted for little girls, but the producers put in subtle, tongue in cheek humour, witty dialogue, very deep philosophical questions, nerdy Easter eggs, and subtle but ironic (and hilarious) pop culture references. It has some really catchy music (along with fan made remixes that give the songs a lot of longevity), and a lot of the fan made comics and animations are really funny too.

It's funny because there are the elements for 2 - 17 year old little girls, but they worked in a LOT of content that a 20-40 year old man could appreciate, like lines and imagery from classic films and TV shows - my favourites include very obvious extractions from Apocalypse Now, Aliens, Star Trek, and Jaws to name a few.

Unlike most things you find in main stream culture as well, it's completely devoid of selfish, narcissistic cynicism - which is why I think it's so popular - because in addition to feeling entertained, you feel happy and, as most importanly as a man, called to a higher purpose and to be a better person than you are.

FlyingHigh
10-01-2012, 09:47 PM
because in addition to feeling entertained, you feel happy and, as most importanly as a man, called to a higher purpose and to be a better person than you are.

that's why they made Saving Private Ryan...

jfred
10-02-2012, 01:15 AM
And Band of Brothers. And basically every war movie ever...

50calshooter
10-02-2012, 09:59 AM
This thread makes me feel nervous... lol

jwirecom109
10-02-2012, 10:16 AM
I will give it to harbl on a couple of accounts being a father myself.

Sitting down and watching a tv show regardless of what it is builds a bond with your child, hell i even get into a couple of the shows my son watches, mind you there shows for boys, but i have boys.

Also he did point out that when he does his youth shoots and has in attendance, young ladies that are shooting they see the patch and they kinda go cool, so it builds a relationship with younger shooters, and I am all for that. (he posted this on another site)

What I don't get any I guess I am not along as to why beyond that someone would watch as a grown man, a show based for young girls.

as for the comment
as most importantly as a man, called to a higher purpose and to be a better person than you are

I'll say thats what volunteering, donating, and helping out your fellow man is for, that gives you a higher purpose.

Watching a show based for little girls does not make sense to how it would better most grown men.

Frankly I hope this topic doesn't appear on the forum again, unless the My little pony topic directly relates to firearms, shooting etc.

The military news article about the relation between the show and the military was interesting, but still out to left park.

Canuck
10-02-2012, 11:28 AM
that's why they made Saving Private Ryan...

And Band of Brothers. And basically every war movie ever...

Really. Harbl, your post belongs anywhere but here- even if it's in the Hideout. It reminds me of skipping school in Gr. 12 to go to a friends place to watch Sesame Street. It was amusing and good for a laugh- ONCE!

Just my opinion, no big deal I guess but like .50 Cal said- makes me nervous!

JustBen
10-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Alright, let me clarify.

I said I didn't understand the whole MLP thing, BUT I'll be honest that there is nothing wrong with it. It's just not my cup of tea. I don't think harping on Harbl about his choice of TV show is right or even justified. We are supposed to be a community of inclusion.

Canuck
10-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Alright, let me clarify.

I said I didn't understand the whole MLP thing, BUT I'll be honest that there is nothing wrong with it. It's just not my cup of tea. I don't think harping on Harbl about his choice of TV show is right or even justified. We are supposed to be a community of inclusion.

I don't think anyone was maliciously harping on Harbl. I enjoy a lot of his posts. However, if you are going to post your opinion on a little girl's show in a gun forum you are going to get a lot of differing opinions. Harbl must have known that when he posted it. So some of us included our opinions with his. That is my definition of "inclusion". :) And I don't think that anyone went against any of the tenets of GOC, which I really respect.

Personally, I am still trying to figure out if Harbl is messing with us. Did you pwn us with that post, Harbl? Was that your real intent? LOL Carry on, everyone. Me and Grover are going to go and load some 6.8 SPC for my new build now.

sDot
10-02-2012, 01:57 PM
I think everyone is just having a little fun and you know how guys are, we like to poke fun and screw around with our friends.

harbl_the_cat
10-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Well - I figured there has to be other bronys out there on GOC (and other places).

It's pretty big news that season 3 starts, I don't think there was ever any doubt that it would be aired - just a lot of the fans (self included) were getting a bit impatient and are rather excited at the news.

The coolest part about being a Brony though, is how often you bump into other bronies (of all age), and how there's an instant connection. With adults, it's a neat way to kick off conversations. I was a range officer at a club shoot over the weekend, and one of the non-gun owner adult guests who was there also was a brony who I think really got turned on to shooting because of my instruction and pony shirt.

Likewise, with the youth ministry I'm started volunteering with at my church, probably 3/4's of the kids there are girls - and when I went there the first time with my bronyism in the closet, most of them seemed intimidated by me. After sporting a Fluttershy shirt at one of our meetings, they were a lot more receptive to me.

That's over, above and beyond just the show though, which honestly, is I can't emphasize enough, is just really entertaining to watch.

Probably the most important themes though about MLP, which again, I think is the reason it is wildly popular, is because of it's emphasis on relational living - that being, the life best lived is the life spent pursuing positive relationships (friendships) with other people. I think a growing pervasive mood in western society is cynicism, pessimism, narcissism, materialism, and nihilism.

MLP is the complete opposite of these things, and it's very refreshing.

harbl_the_cat
10-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Ahhh yeah :)

Discord (John De Lancie of Star Trek TNG - "Q" fame) is confirmed returning.

Shining Armor, Twilight Sparkle's older brother - Captain of the Royal Guard.

Singing Spike.

November 10th. I usually don't look forward to Remembrance Day - but this year is shaping up to be an exception.

http://family-room.ew.com/2012/10/18/my-little-pony-season-3-premiere/

Guess who’s back in the saddle?
EW can exclusively reveal that all-new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic — the colorful kid’s series that became an Internet phenomenon — will premiere on The Hub at 10 a.m. on Saturday, November 10. The show’s third season is kicking off with an epic, hour-long two-parter centered on a whole new corner of Equestria: the Crystal Empire, an ancient, cursed place that mysteriously reemerges after a thousand-year absence.

The episode will be followed by the premiere of The Hub’s newest series, Littlest Pet Shop — an animated comedy that features the vocal talents of Ashleigh Ball, Tabitha St. German, and Nicole Oliver, all of whom also star on My Little Pony (as Rainbow Dash/Applejack, Rarity, and Princess Celestia, respectively.)

Pony head writer Meghan McCarthy tells EW that season 3 will focus on main pony Twilight Sparkle as she advances in her magical studies: “She’s been in Ponyville for awhile now, and so her journey is going a little bit further,” McCarthy says. It’ll also feature “very catchy and very, very cute” new songs, “the usual pop culture references,” and the reemergence of a certain unnamed fan favorite villain — who McCarthy says will return “in a very, very awesome way.”

Fans should also watch out for an upcoming installment that deals with a very topical issue: bullying. “[It] explores how you should handle a bully, and sometimes what the source of bullying is,” McCarthy explains. But don’t expect an awkward Very Special Episode: “It’s wrapped in a story that’s really fun and funny, and has music, and doesn’t feel heavy-handed.”
Still hungry for more unbridled pony scoop? Check out this exclusive picture of the Crystal Empire and a clip from the premiere, which features Spike the Dragon’s singing debut:

sDot
10-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Fans should also watch out for an upcoming installment that deals with a very topical issue: bullying. “[It] explores how you should handle a bully, and sometimes what the source of bullying is,” McCarthy explains. But don’t expect an awkward Very Special Episode: “It’s wrapped in a story that’s really fun and funny, and has music, and doesn’t feel heavy-handed.”

It seems that all this anti-bully stuff is either anti-alpha or trying to make people who set themselves up as targets not feel so bad about their poor judgement.

I'm really starting to hate the way the world is going..

superbrad
10-18-2012, 11:54 AM
OK... so if I read this correct My little Pony season starts soon.... what caliber should I use?

Canuck
10-18-2012, 01:01 PM
OK... so if I read this correct My little Pony season starts soon.... what caliber should I use?

And now I have to explain to my co-workers why Coke is spewed all over my computer screen. Give a guy a head's up when you're going to do that, eh?

superbrad
10-18-2012, 01:22 PM
And now I have to explain to my co-workers why Coke is spewed all over my computer screen. Give a guy a head's up when you're going to do that, eh?

Sorry bud... seriously though... .338 Lapua mag?

harbl_the_cat
10-18-2012, 01:23 PM
It seems that all this anti-bully stuff is either anti-alpha or trying to make people who set themselves up as targets not feel so bad about their poor judgement.

I'm really starting to hate the way the world is going..

They've touched on the subject of bullying at least 4-5 times in the series, and each time they do, the message is one I wholeheartedly approve of.

1. Don't shy away and hide from a bully. Be confident in yourself, embrace your own individuality, confront them, and if need be, whoop their butts. (Episodes: "Call of the Cutie Mark," "The Cutie Mark Chronicles," "Family Appreciation Day" , "The Cutie Pox", "Putting your Hoof Down")
2. After doing 1. reconcile with and befriend them if possible. Sometimes it's not - in those cases - cut them off completely - by turning them to stone or permanently banishing them from your land with an ultra powerful forcefield spell (The Return of Harmony, A Canterlot Wedding)
3. Don't let past bullying prevent you from accomplishing things and living beneath your potential. (Hurricane Fluttershy)
4. Fall back on your friends and family for help to deal with bullies if needed, not teachers, cops, or the government (who don't care about you) (all the above mentioned).

At this stage in the game, if they wuss it up with the bullying message, I wouldn't really mind. They've set a pretty good precedent already about how to handle bullies - the RIGHT way.

harbl_the_cat
10-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Sorry bud... seriously though... .338 Lapua mag?

You do realise:
-Rainbow Dash can fly at Mach 5 speeds, make instant 90 degree and hairpin turns, and collide with structures with sufficient energy to trigger a nuclear explosion,
-Twilight Sparkle can conjure up impregnable forcefields, instantly teleport, perform mass telekinesis, shoot magic, high powered energy bolts fully automatic, and time travel,
-Fluttershy can break a brown bears neck,
-Pinkie Pie can defy all the laws of physics,
-Applejack has super-pony strength, and
-Rarity... well come to think of it - she's a bit of a wuss... I guess she's just got amazing, lady like charm and knows how to whine just right to get men/dogs to do her bidding.

Just saying ;)

But in a fair fight - I think a .50 cal Barrett M82 is in order:

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/groups/1/6/5666/thumb_620x2000/rainbow_dash_sniper.jpg

westislandrifle
10-18-2012, 01:50 PM
:confused::Bang head:

superbrad
10-18-2012, 01:55 PM
-Fluttershy can break a brown bears neck,

I don't watch children's cartoons but when they re-air this episode please let me know......

But in a fair fight - I think a .50 cal Barrett M82 is in order

Who said anything about fightin' fair?... I just want a freezer full of magical pony meat....

sDot
10-18-2012, 02:08 PM

.22LR

sDot
10-18-2012, 02:10 PM
They've touched on the subject of bullying at least 4-5 times in the series, and each time they do, the message is one I wholeheartedly approve of.

1. Don't shy away and hide from a bully. Be confident in yourself, embrace your own individuality, confront them, and if need be, whoop their butts. (Episodes: "Call of the Cutie Mark," "The Cutie Mark Chronicles," "Family Appreciation Day" , "The Cutie Pox", "Putting your Hoof Down")
2. After doing 1. reconcile with and befriend them if possible. Sometimes it's not - in those cases - cut them off completely - by turning them to stone or permanently banishing them from your land with an ultra powerful forcefield spell (The Return of Harmony, A Canterlot Wedding)
3. Don't let past bullying prevent you from accomplishing things and living beneath your potential. (Hurricane Fluttershy)
4. Fall back on your friends and family for help to deal with bullies if needed, not teachers, cops, or the government (who don't care about you) (all the above mentioned).

At this stage in the game, if they wuss it up with the bullying message, I wouldn't really mind. They've set a pretty good precedent already about how to handle bullies - the RIGHT way.

They should give those bullied ponies knives. Learn them bullies a lesson.

Canuck
10-18-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't watch children's cartoons but when they re-air this episode please let me know......

Who said anything about fightin' fair?... I just want a freezer full of magical pony meat....

From what I gather, it isn't about firepower, it's about stealth. Decoys? Recommended bait or lure? Are they nocturnal? NV goggles?

superbrad
10-18-2012, 02:14 PM
.22LR

I asked what the best is for MLP hunting... not MLP defence... get it together man!

superbrad
10-18-2012, 02:17 PM
From what I gather, it isn't about firepower, it's about stealth. Decoys? Recommended bait or lure? Are they nocturnal? NV goggles?

Okay... I will go to Walmart and get some of those 4 inch pony decoys they sell in the toy section... I am thinking mini marshmallows for bait which I will sprinkle in front of my trail cam and see what happens... I will look for pony horn rubs on trees and signs of rainbow coloured pony scat.... still going with the Lapua though....

harbl_the_cat
10-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81uLTl0y5YM

harbl_the_cat
10-18-2012, 03:08 PM
They should give those bullied ponies knives. Learn them bullies a lesson.

Who needs knives when you have the Elements of Harmony that shoot energy bolts that turn Chimera's into stone or city sized, magical force fields that can blasts an army of Changelings into the stratosphere?

Haywire1
10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
they have those dangerous weapons? then they need to be registered, and we need to come up with a goofy list of laws for them to follow, so that poor criminals don't get injured...

harbl_the_cat
10-18-2012, 03:35 PM
they have those dangerous weapons? then they need to be registered, and we need to come up with a goofy list of laws for them to follow, so that poor criminals don't get injured...

As far as I can tell, there are virtually no laws or regulations in Equestria, other than the golden rule (do for others as you do for yourself).

The national and municipal governments don't even collect taxes - everything government related seems to be funded through free will donations and every exchange of goods and services are done through the free market transactions.

superbrad
10-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81uLTl0y5YM

OK.... that was pretty cool... I give you that....

jwirecom109
10-18-2012, 03:42 PM
LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Lesson Zero, she appears to be attacking a bear, but is actually giving it a rigorous massage to ease the tension in one of its shoulders.

Strewth
10-18-2012, 03:50 PM

I just keep store bought in the cupboard-I thought 300WSM was expensive, until I priced out a snare virgin.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t424/smellype/imagesCAZJMNJ7.jpg

Although if you do manage to get one

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t424/smellype/imagesCAJZIXT4-1.jpg

harbl_the_cat
10-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Well - I'm sure the show's producers couldn't get away with Fluttershy actually killing a bear. When I first saw that episode, for a few seconds I was seriously going "WTF?" until they showed the massage part.

Here's the entire sequence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7iJFMUMv0M&feature=related

They do that a lot in the show - which is one reason it's so awesome.

harbl_the_cat
10-18-2012, 03:53 PM
I just keep store bought in the cupboard-I thought 300WSM was expensive, until I priced out a snare virgin.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t424/smellype/imagesCAZJMNJ7.jpg

Although if you do manage to get one

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t424/smellype/imagesCAJZIXT4-1.jpg

What about Pegasus meat?

Strewth
10-18-2012, 04:00 PM
What about Pegasus meat?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0MiQ-s7EpMg/UBOS9Hobz7I/AAAAAAAAAJM/RWq49Wu90e0/s1600/Discount_Coupon_blog.jpg

Haywire1
10-18-2012, 04:28 PM
What about Pegasus meat?

tastes a lot like chicken...

Canuck
10-18-2012, 04:49 PM

They do that a lot in the show - which is one reason it's so awesome.

Do your kids know they lie a lot? Or will you tell them when they are older- about the same time you tell them about Santa Claus?

jwirecom109
10-18-2012, 10:08 PM
http://cdn.leasticoulddo.com/comics/20121019.gif

Canuck
10-18-2012, 10:13 PM

BINGO!!

harbl_the_cat
10-18-2012, 10:33 PM
BINGO!!

I don't fall into that category. I'm a dude who watches it with his daughter

JustBen
10-19-2012, 06:27 AM
tastes a lot like chicken...

Or does chicken taste like Pegasus meat?

road kill
10-19-2012, 08:22 AM
We may have to start a "best calibre for defence" thread regarding MLP`s. ;) My vote would be the old style of phaser that was outlawed on Star Trek because it caused to much suffering before death.

Skeetgunner
11-05-2012, 05:10 PM

Ryan and Lar are funnier when they are channeling Richard. Come to think of it, given his affinity for bunnies and cougars, Richard is probably a MLP fan. :evil:

*fwoosh!*

M0FuK1Dy
11-07-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't fall into that category. I'm a dude who watches it with his daughter

Do you braid her hair while she playes with LEGO?

harbl_the_cat
11-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Well - it looks like this will be the new Pony thread, after I killed the one I was actively posting in on CGN.

I suppose it will look an awful lot like this for a little while (only no Rainbow Dash will be able to pull me back).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHy3ZhY9VKs

Garetsu
11-29-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm sorry, I have to:

http://i.imgur.com/qIWir.jpg

awndray
11-30-2012, 08:13 AM
I had no idea what the hell this was all about. I had to Google it.

http://youtu.be/Est3UNs-LIk

I get it...but I don't. Wow!

I do like Scratch Attack though.

JustBen
11-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Another reason I don't have cable...

harbl_the_cat
11-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Another reason I don't have cable...

I don't have cable either...

The entire series is on Youtube, and Hasbro doesn't aggressively police copy right infringement or distribution of it's intellectual property.

They get free publicity by letting it go viral and not clamping down on what would otherwise be blatant copy right infringement, and pony-consumers gets a near endless stream of content to fill their insatiable MLP appetite (capitalism wins again at making everyone happy!)

harbl_the_cat
11-30-2012, 11:06 AM
I had no idea what the hell this was all about. I had to Google it.

I get it...but I don't. Wow!

I do like Scratch Attack though.

I think this fan made commercial embodies the Brony movement quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN-FM-j8FA0

Also, if you like music, the really neat thing about the Brony community is daily at least half a dozen new songs of almost every genre of music - remixes or original songs. It's pretty crazy.

I like a lot of the electronic, dubstep, trance, and house songs - but there's a few good hip hop, rock, and orchestral songs as well that I like.

This one I'm really grooving too. It's a remix of a pretty popular original song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADi_JX12Gw

My pony music library is about 400 songs and growing everyday :)

harbl_the_cat
11-30-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm sorry, I have to:

http://i.imgur.com/qIWir.jpg

http://arch.413chan.net/TS_space_marine-(n1301313927345).jpg

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/070/2/7/applejack_marine_by_ghettomole-d3bfhbh.jpg

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/203/287/87338%20-%20artist%253Alaaseensld%20balloon%20cutie_mark%20 flamethrower%20highres%20parody%20pinkie_pie%20pon ified%20space_marine%20warhammer_40k%20weapon.jpg

boomboy
11-30-2012, 04:09 PM
http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad327/boom_boy/whaaaa.gif

Strewth
11-30-2012, 08:10 PM
http://imgur.com/MuktU.gif

Garetsu
11-30-2012, 08:15 PM

I can't stop laughing at this!

Strewth
11-30-2012, 08:22 PM
^Nathan Fillion is hugely underrated IMO. Bring back Firefly!

Prairie Dog
11-30-2012, 08:32 PM

I'm sniping that one.....have an immediate use for it.

harbl_the_cat
11-30-2012, 10:05 PM
One day there WILL be a Firefly reference in My Little Pony and you will all rue the day!

Strewth
11-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Wow. There are a lot of cat memes that say rue the day!

This is from the Rue the Day blog, so sort of on topic?:

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2011/11/2011-11-30-firefly_malvin.jpg

Haywire1
12-01-2012, 08:58 AM
One day there WILL be a Firefly reference in My Little Pony and you will all rue the day!

If there is, MLP will be a little bit more manly :p

harbl_the_cat
12-02-2012, 08:41 AM
This weeks epsidoe, among the fandom, was one of the most anticipated episodes of the series... and it delivered the goods.

Spoilers below

Twilight Sparkle, having shown off the boastful and arrogant unicorn, The Great and Powerful Trixie, midway through the first season is challanged by Trixie to a magic duel. Powered by a magic enhancing amulet that turns her evil, Trixie soundidly defeats Twilight and banishes her from Ponyville.

With the Princess visiting Saddle Arabia, Twilight consults the Zecora the Zebra to devise a plan to overthrow Trixie using wit, team work, and friendship... and her and the Mane-6 succeed.

It's funny because this episode at times was VERY dark. One of the really interesting things about MLP:FIM is just how dark and twisted it comes, while still staying in the domain of being kid friendly. Besides the Saddle Arabia, there was a really obvious Star Wars:Empire Strikes Back reference, as Twilight receives magic training from Zecora in a fashion VERY similiar to Luke Skywalker receiving training from Yoda.

All in all... a very good episode.

harbl_the_cat
12-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Just found this HILARIOUS video from Ghost Radio (formerly True Capitalists Radio and True Conservative Radio).

I never followed this guy - but caught a few of his shows and somewhat agreed with his stance on things (and found his freakouts hilarious).

Just for clarification - Gabe Newell is one of the co-founders and managing director from Valve software - one of the biggest (and best) video game companies out there. An amazingly respected individual in the tech world.

Evidently he's a billionaire and is the 854th wealthiest man on the planet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabe_Newell

Also, one of the biggest brony communities is the Team Fortress 2 community (Team Fortress being one of the most hilarious FPS shooter games ever, released by Valve)

WARNING: HARSH LANGUAGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-vvS7Q1pSd4#!

One of the best TF2 trailers:

WARNING: Video game violence and gore
youtube.com/watch?v=36lSzUMBJnc

awndray
02-27-2013, 07:52 AM
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Dave/bulliesbullyingbullies1.png

sk8r
02-27-2013, 08:08 AM
I have grand-nieces who watch this show, so I have actually seen it a couple of times....

Don't mean to offend anyone, but I have to say, I wouldn't have watched that stuff when I was a little girl - I was too busy with my real pony (and my .22....;))

Kinda moot, though, coz we didn't have a television......:)

Asphalt Cowboy
03-01-2013, 12:00 AM
I have grand-nieces who watch this show, so I have actually seen it a couple of times....

Don't mean to offend anyone, but I have to say, I wouldn't have watched that stuff when I was a little girl - I was too busy with my real pony (and my .22....;))

Kinda moot, though, coz we didn't have a television......:)

kudos for digging deep on this one LOL

YukonLeftie
03-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Im not a fan of the show.

My little sister, on the other hand, is. At one time, she had a mobile home, within it, three walls were LINED with ponies.

Six. THOUSAND. Ponies. Each and every one of them carefully positioned so that when one walked into the room, ALL of them were staring at you, with that creepy cheerful smile of theirs.

She's since thinned that herd; but.... disturrrrbing.

I will, however, leave a link for her custom pony work she's done. Look at your own risk (Yes its SFW).

http://www.artinsanity.com/index.php/ponies

enerflex
03-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Cant believe I read this whole thread... kinda like watching a car crash :confused1:

I guess I screwed up raising my 3 girls... I taught them to shoot, drive trucks, build things and play in the woods and "missed out" on the "new age"

Think I will go shave and have a beer just to feel better :Beer time:

Strewth
03-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Cant believe I read this whole thread... kinda like watching a car crash :confused1:

I manetain there's nothing to see hair, this thread is pommeling a dead horse, I get no value off et,lock it?:) <--Kidding, don't lock it, it's a free country; although I may pick, hoof's to say there's nothing of value here?

...oh man, my head is full of horse puns: snaffle, bits, horn, whip, dressage, canter, frog, foal, hands, Kimblewick, conformation...I think I absorbed some of my wife's horsey stuff despite my best intentions. I need beer too.

Good on you shooter 67 for keeping your girls away from ponies! Keeping a real horse is easy: take all your money, borrow lots, burn all that, sell your cars for a beater truck and a brand new 3 horse angle haul with living quarters, then rub all the surfaces in your house with horse hair and canola oil. Now smack yourself repeatedly in the back and hips with a bat. Taa-daa! You're a horse person!

Sorry harbl, I just see My Little Pony as a gateway toy.

harbl_the_cat
02-26-2016, 09:55 AM
Someone hire this man.

His awesome resume aside, this man's technical skill make him un-unemployable. I should make a resume like that.

If he graduated in 2012, odds are he's a Millennial too :)

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--HEHpeGTF--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/18z8vr7foa7xsjpg.jpg

GonZo
02-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Uuummmmmmmhhhhhh!!!!

Lets just leave it at that.

blacksmithden
02-26-2016, 10:34 AM
What the.......I'd pin his resume to my office wall so everyone could see it. Nobody would believe me if I tried to describe it.

RobertMcC
02-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Honestly if a grown arse man is trying to find a job using a MLP resume. I would seriously tell him to not waste my time and to grow up.

JustBen
02-26-2016, 10:41 AM
Someone hire this man.

His awesome resume aside, this man's technical skill make him un-unemployable. I should make a resume like that.

If he graduated in 2012, odds are he's a Millennial too :)

What kind of fudging pageantry is that?

No, I would not hire him.

FlyingHigh
02-26-2016, 12:01 PM
That's better than the one i got when i was managing a fishing/hunting store. It was scrawled in crayon on a piece of construction paper .

harbl_the_cat
02-26-2016, 12:08 PM
I'd hire him and I screen resumes and interview candidates.

With his credentials, he'll have no problem finding work at some of the top software companies in the world. The man did an internship playing with nuclear reactors!

With his personality, he'd be a good fit too.

jwirecom109
02-26-2016, 12:24 PM
3 years.... 3 years we almost made it 3 years without this thread being posted in....

murph83
02-26-2016, 12:25 PM
I'm a dude who watches it with his daughter

Agreed, I'm in this situation as well. As are most of my other friends that have daughters under the age of 10.

Mark-II
02-26-2016, 12:30 PM
Honestly if a grown arse man is trying to find a job using a MLP resume. I would seriously tell him to not waste my time and to grow up.

I find his disturbing lack of professional decorum...creepy.

RobertMcC
02-26-2016, 12:36 PM
Agreed, I'm in this situation as well. As are most of my other friends that have daughters under the age of 10.

Cool you watch it with your daughter. But there where it should end.

Making posts about it, changing avatar, having threads about MLP. Yeah that's a little far from just watching it with your daughter.

jwirecom109
02-26-2016, 12:41 PM
Cool you watch it with your daughter. But there where it should end.

Making posts about it, changing avatar, having threads about MLP. Yeah that's a little far from just watching it with your daughter.

I don't watch or get involved in it, but honestly if your offended by it, please find another thread to be involved with.

Be Like Bill

http://cdn.dubaimemes.com/uploads/posts/big/2016/01/x126-10496-bill-is-on-the-internet-bill-sees-something-that-offends-him-bill-moves-on.png.pagespeed.ic.hbefJ9_fsc.png

JustBen
02-26-2016, 12:44 PM
I'd hire him and I screen resumes and interview candidates.

With his credentials, he'll have no problem finding work at some of the top software companies in the world. The man did an internship playing with nuclear reactors!

With his personality, he'd be a good fit too.

Credentials?! He has none! A degree in computer science with very little post grad experience. After graduation, he took a job as a radio DJ - a far cry from his school work.

If he was any good, the internship with IBM would have landed him full time post grad employment, not a job spinning records and designing websites on the side.

RobertMcC
02-26-2016, 12:53 PM
I don't watch or get involved in it, but honestly if your offended by it, please find another thread to be involved with.

Be Like Bill

http://cdn.dubaimemes.com/uploads/posts/big/2016/01/x126-10496-bill-is-on-the-internet-bill-sees-something-that-offends-him-bill-moves-on.png.pagespeed.ic.hbefJ9_fsc.png

Its a thread about manliness but I don't see any men.

harbl_the_cat
02-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Credentials?! He has none! A degree in computer science with very little post grad experience. After graduation, he took a job as a radio DJ - a far cry from his school work.

If he was any good, the internship with IBM would have landed him full time post grad employment, not a job spinning records and designing websites on the side.

Computer science new grads don't exactly grow on trees (especially ones with 4.0 GPAs) and software development is going to be one of the hottest industries in the coming years.

I put a call out on my network (including my post here) and no one I know is unemployed intentionally.

Despite the downturn in O&G, almost everyone I know is working for a company looking for people. I personally have recruiters cold calling me with job offers almost every other day.

That's how chronically short the industry is of skilled IT professionals. In the US, that guy would have no problem getting a job with an industry leader like Google, Amazon, Valve, Blizzard, etc.

He certainly would have his pick of high paying jobs here in Calgary.

It's kind of endearing actually to be in an industry where you as an employee/contractor have enormous leverage over employers/clients - including to the point where you can make an awesome resume like that one and get snatched up in a heartbeat.

I suppose this is what it was like in the O&G industry over the past 10-15 years (I wouldn't know - I never worked in the industry).

Really though, companies looking for talent are going to have to come to terms that they have very little leverage to attract it. That's highly symptomatic of the times we live in. When you don't have enough young people, finding skilled young talent is a HUGE struggle.

Especially when such labour practically has the ability, as I say, "to fire the company they work for."

I'd expect more examples of this in the coming years, as the old rules of labour simply don't apply.

Also, I worked with a web developer who was self taught and a DJ on the side (he started out DJ'ing in fact).

He was one of the most talented individuals I met and as far as I know, has had no problem finding work.

harbl_the_cat
02-26-2016, 01:19 PM
Kind of funny, a few days ago, a guy I worked with referred me to a job where the hiring manager said finding an automation specialist is "like finding a unicorn."

Hence why he referred me, being an automation specialists who is a brony.

Calibre
02-26-2016, 01:21 PM
It's a brilliant resume. Does YOUR resume come anywhere near warranting threads spanning years on online forums you know nothing about?

I'd look at it and think "that's a bold move, Joseph." But I'd look at it and that's half the battle.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

RobertMcC
02-26-2016, 01:29 PM
It's a brilliant resume. Does YOUR resume come anywhere near warranting threads spanning years on online forums you know nothing about?

I'd look at it and think "that's a bold move, Joseph." But I'd look at it and that's half the battle.

Does it say Mechanic? Than no. I highly doubt someone would hire based on that resume. Its not even professional. It would go on the list of this is what NOT to do.

harbl_the_cat
02-26-2016, 01:34 PM

Resume? What resume? As I said, I get cold called and offered jobs randomly out of the blue.

Now that I think about it, I think this is a shining example of things to come, especially in much of Canada.

Attracting young, skilled talent is going to be the biggest challenge Canadian companies are going to have - to the point that resumes like this are going to be the norm.

Especially in the Calgary corporate culture, where because oil prices were so high most capital budgets were geared towards upstream, midstream, and downstream operations. As a result, a lot of companies didn't bother implementing capital systems geared towards improving efficiency in their corporate head offices - they just hired low-skilled workers to do monkey work, since that usually falls under opex.

Now that the gravy train of high profits is gone and companies are forced to deal with simultaneous cuts to capex and opex as well as facing mass labour shortage, demand for IT solutions that improve corporate operations is going to skyrocket.

Doing more with less is going to become a society wide mantra - and I fully expect Ottawa to catch on way to late to front run the trend.

Albertans, however, are going through the pain of realizing this now, which though painful, is actually a good thing.

lone-wolf
02-26-2016, 01:37 PM
I should warn my boss that mom's dropping off resumes for their adult children won't be the odd joke anymore, but the norm.

Calibre
02-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Does it say Mechanic? Than no. I highly doubt someone would hire based on that resume. Its not even professional. It would go on the list of this is what NOT to do.

Different jobs are going to attract different people. The attitude, decorum, and resume that gets a mechanic hired isn't going to be the same as a guy looking to work at Google.

harbl_the_cat
02-26-2016, 02:18 PM
I should warn my boss that mom's dropping off resumes for their adult children won't be the odd joke anymore, but the norm.

In my office, to my left are 4 nerf guns we break out for random office Nerf gun wars.

In front of me is a wall mounted decorative Tyrannosaur head with a Batman wing-suit our ops team awards to the previous week's "Awesomeness" team member.

To my right is a wall full of sci-fi and anime DVD's, with a Dr. Who Tardis shelf holder, surrounded by lava lamps.

If you walk around the office, you see various children's toys, action figures, and various nick-knacks (including the odd My Little Pony ones - sadly, not on my desk... yet).

We build and operate an application that provides a service worth tens of millions of dollars. Most software applications are built in work environments like this.

Checkout the Google office in Waterloo:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/08/this-google-office-has-a-real-firemans-pole-slide-cattle-walkway-and-more-gallery/

They have a slide to their lobby (I bet those folks their walking with are from marketing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5slLueyXKk

Hebrew Hammer
02-26-2016, 02:23 PM
IT work was the first kind of "real work" I did, though I ended up liking it a lot less than I expected I would. I eventually went back to school for something else and am happier for it. But that's just me, YMMV, etc. I could do IT work again if I really wanted to; prospects for work in the field are usually quite good.

Hebrew Hammer
02-26-2016, 02:28 PM
My little brony

lone-wolf
02-26-2016, 02:41 PM
In my office, to my left are 4 nerf guns we break out for random office Nerf gun wars.

In front of me is a wall mounted decorative Tyrannosaur head with a Batman wing-suit our ops team awards to the previous week's "Awesomeness" team member.

To my right is a wall full of sci-fi and anime DVD's, with a Dr. Who Tardis shelf holder, surrounded by lava lamps.

If you walk around the office, you see various children's toys, action figures, and various nick-knacks (including the odd My Little Pony ones - sadly, not on my desk... yet).

We build and operate an application that provides a service worth tens of millions of dollars. Most software applications are built in work environments like this.
Sounds like hell. My offices... skyjack running led lights(alright, when it's time to crawl around an attic, not so nice)
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx313/redmudpei/work_zpsfblumdzn.jpg

lobster fishing
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx313/redmudpei/20150511_113606_zpseanilkpi.jpg

jwirecom109
02-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Different jobs are going to attract different people. The attitude, decorum, and resume that gets a mechanic hired isn't going to be the same as a guy looking to work at Google.

Pretty good point, about 6 years ago I had a friend that couldn't get a job in the states.
He was educated, smart, hard working, but the job market was crap.
I jokingly suggested change the background from white to a USA Flag, for national pride.
he did it and got 3 job offers the next week.

kennymo
02-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Sounds like hell. My offices... skyjack running led lights(alright, when it's time to crawl around an attic, not so nice)

lobster fishing
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx313/redmudpei/20150511_113606_zpseanilkpi.jpg

Makes me wish I'd taken a photo when I was dangling seven stories above downtown Winnipeg yesterday, standing on a four inch wide strip of steel while trying to wrestle 90 pounds of 6 inch steel pipe through a hole in the wall.... Could've really used a crane.....
Days like that I love my office. When I'm sitting in a dark, dusty corner trying to keep my laptop alive despite the drywall dust and the guy jackhammering through the roof above.....well.....those times I could go for a ball pit, a trampoline and an espresso desk for some mid day Americanos.....

harbl_the_cat
02-26-2016, 05:14 PM

lobster fishing

That does look quite nice - except I get seasick real easy :)

Also, it sure beats being on EI like my brother. That's such a weird statement to make...

lone-wolf
02-26-2016, 05:35 PM
Also, it sure beats being on EI like my brother. That's such a weird statement to make...

I didn't know you have a brother, what does he do(gotta work at some point for ei)?

Kenwp
02-26-2016, 07:52 PM
Took me awhile to even figure out what MLP meant. Guess when your toys all go bang it's hard to think inside the box.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
02-27-2016, 04:33 AM
Makes me wish I'd taken a photo when I was dangling seven stories above downtown Winnipeg yesterday, standing on a four inch wide strip of steel while trying to wrestle 90 pounds of 6 inch steel pipe through a hole in the wall.... Could've really used a crane.....
Days like that I love my office. When I'm sitting in a dark, dusty corner trying to keep my laptop alive despite the drywall dust and the guy jackhammering through the roof above.....well.....those times I could go for a ball pit, a trampoline and an espresso desk for some mid day Americanos.....

Which building? The new apartments near Century St.?