PDA

View Full Version : Addiction Alert - Horseback Archery

Candychikita
08-13-2017, 11:37 PM
Today I tried out jousting at a quintaine, chopping heads off poles with a sword on a pole bending course and learned how to spear a pig with a javelin. (Waiting for my video to be uploaded, I'm pretty pleased with myself HA. I must have some Mongolian blood in my heritage :)) Got to try out a horse bow and learned some tricks about shooting while in motion. I'm in love.

Going back to shooting targets just standing there suddenly has lost all appeal...has anyone out there done shooting (archery or otherwise) on horseback and have some tips to share?

Hello newest addiction, goodbye savings :)

Waterloomike
08-14-2017, 03:28 AM
So......you're learning to be a Mongolian warrior.

Interesting. Sounds like fun.

R&R Rancher
08-14-2017, 05:48 AM
Sounds interesting. Eyewateringly expensive since it involves horses, but fun.

BrotherRockeye
08-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Dang, I like all those things!

That sounds like something I could get caught up in...although my horses are pretty much just lawn mowers these days with me being away most of the time...
I need a lottery win so I can stay home...c'mon lotto win!!!

Grey_Wolf
08-14-2017, 11:22 AM
I've often thought it would be neat to bow hunt from a horse. Got a nice quiet mare, a bow.... just need to learn to ride....

Plinker 777
08-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Perhaps google this fellow Candy, he seems to be the real deal and has training camps in Canada. I believe your learning curve to be a steep and long one, but congratulations for finding something you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/a0opKAKbyJw

ESnel
08-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Try selling the idea to management as a great tool for mediating issues in the workplace :p

Candychikita
08-16-2017, 11:32 PM
It was fun :) Doubt I'd be bloodthirsty enough to be a warrior :)

My kids have been whining about wanting to lease a horse, and while they still need to learn the basics of horsemanship, I've already dabbled in more than the usual horsey offerings for English and Western. Not Olympic caliber by any means but proficient enough. I wanted to be an ostrich jockey growing up so figured I'd go for breadth of training for the offchance I may have the opportunity bahahaha. Right now I'm going to rig up a plastic rain barrel on a frame with castors and they can drag me around while I practice techniques hahahaha. Earn your keep, ya rodents!

Next weekend is a mounted armed combat class. I've also found an archery group that actually "wars" by shooting marshmallow like tipped arrows at each other, and there is broadsword drop in practice at JIBC on Tuesday nights (maybe Thursday too?). The fact this stuff exists in large enough groups to run classes is just fantastic.

Plinker 777
08-18-2017, 08:46 PM
It was fun :) Doubt I'd be bloodthirsty enough to be a warrior :)

My kids have been whining about wanting to lease a horse, and while they still need to learn the basics of horsemanship, I've already dabbled in more than the usual horsey offerings for English and Western. Not Olympic caliber by any means but proficient enough. I wanted to be an ostrich jockey growing up so figured I'd go for breadth of training for the offchance I may have the opportunity bahahaha. Right now I'm going to rig up a plastic rain barrel on a frame with castors and they can drag me around while I practice techniques hahahaha. Earn your keep, ya rodents!

Next weekend is a mounted armed combat class. I've also found an archery group that actually "wars" by shooting marshmallow like tipped arrows at each other, and there is broadsword drop in practice at JIBC on Tuesday nights (maybe Thursday too?). The fact this stuff exists in large enough groups to run classes is just fantastic.

Play safe...or; play like a Viking. ;D Have fun at it! :)