PDA

View Full Version : illegal pot business is going up in smoke

Billythreefeathers
08-15-2017, 08:42 AM
illegal pot business is going up in smoke

There wasn’t much need to smuggle pot into the country when Canadian cannabis connoisseurs liked the homegrown stuff better, experts say.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/08/14/organized-crimes-interest-in-the-illegal-pot-business-is-going-up-in-smoke.html

Once a relatively safe, profitable business for outlaw bikers and mobsters, organized crime is moving away from the marijuana market because legalization and home-grown pot are making any gain not worth the risk, experts say.

The market share in the pot business for organized criminals has already slid as pot-loving “disorganized criminals” perfected their horticultural skills. There wasn’t much need to smuggle pot into the country when Canadian cannabis connoisseurs liked the homegrown stuff better, experts say.

The days when Hells Angels and mobsters enjoyed a strong hand in Canada’s marijuana trade will be just a hazy memory by the time pot is to be legalized next year, according to some experts.

“A pretty small part of the marijuana industry today is what I call organized crime,” said criminologist Neil Boyd of Simon Fraser University — a change from a few decades ago, when big-league criminals thrived in the pot trade.

That’s a major shift from the mid-2000s, when outlaw bikers worked with traditional Mafia groups to move into exporting Canadian marijuana, according to Kash Heed, former B.C. solicitor general, minister of public safety and West Vancouver Police chief. Most of that product was exported to the U.S., Heed said.

Rick Ciarniello, a Canadian spokesperson for the Hells Angels, politely brushed off questions about whether the world’s largest outlaw motorcycle club has a position on legalized marijuana.

“Some are prone to believe all the police hype and propaganda,” Ciarniello said. “If that is to be believed, the Hells Angels must have such a position. The fact is; the hype and propaganda is wrong. As such, the short answer is no.”

The efforts of organized crime to control the pot trade have been undermined for the past three decades by “disorganized crime,” according to Alan Young, an associate professor at the Osgoode Hall law school. Many of these are green-thumbed potheads growing marijuana for friends.

Billythreefeathers
08-15-2017, 08:43 AM
Many of these are green-thumbed potheads growing marijuana for friends

and this will be the same group that sinks the 'corporate growers'

go ahead and invest in the pot business,, I'll be buying seeds for my green house

Mark-II
08-15-2017, 08:56 AM
And until you deal with organized crime itself, it will just find new ways to finance itself.

Anyone who thinks the gangs are going to give up is underestimating the criminal mind and giving far too much credit to the governments ability, or even intent, to deal with the scum of society.

wolver
08-15-2017, 09:05 AM
We need screening for this narcotic to prevent the potheads from obtaining a PAL. There's already enough doups at the range. Can't drink and shoot, so you shouldn't be stoned either.

Eel
08-15-2017, 09:25 AM
We need screening for this narcotic to prevent the potheads from obtaining a PAL. There's already enough doups at the range. Can't drink and shoot, so you shouldn't be stoned either.

By your reasoning here, anyone that drinks shouldn't have a PAL either. What's to stop people from drinking while they shoot?

wolver
08-15-2017, 09:28 AM
By your reasoning here, anyone that drinks shouldn't have a PAL either. What's to stop people from drinking while they shoot?

The RO, at the club. On Crown Land they can do as they wish anywhere I'm not at.

Mark-II
08-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Someone left a 12 of empty beer bottles at the outdoor pistol range once. Neatly boxed by the burn barrels.

Glad the weren't blitzed enough to think it a good idea to shoot them.

Eel
08-15-2017, 09:31 AM
The RO, at the club. On Crown Land they can do as they wish anywhere I'm not at.

Then the RO should be able to enforce the range rules and stop anyone that they think is under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. I'm not endorsing smoking or drinking while shooting here, just throwing out my .02.

wolver
08-15-2017, 09:39 AM
Then the RO should be able to enforce the range rules and stop anyone that they think is under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. I'm not endorsing smoking or drinking while shooting here, just throwing out my .02.

It's hard to show some people are stoned, or just an idiot. Maybe at the trap range where they're 0 for 25. And have yet to fire a single shot at a clay in the air.

Eel
08-15-2017, 09:46 AM
It's hard to show some people are stoned, or just an idiot. Maybe at the trap range where they're 0 for 25. And have yet to fire a single shot at a clay in the air.

Haha, this is true. I have seen a few special people shooting clays. One guy had his finger on the trigger with the shotgun down, said pull, went to pull the gun up and almost blew off his foot. He then denied having his finger on the trigger. Unfortunately you can't fix stupid.

FALover
08-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Pot is mainstream now and if it gets 'legalized' the thrill will me gone for some. Bikers? They are likely three steps ahead of any government intervention regarding their business plans. Fentanyl will be the next drug that gets marketed big time. You think the opioid crisis is bad now, give it a few more years.

soulchaser
08-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Just like legal tobacco killed the illegal cigarette market.

Oh, wait......

This is one of the most blatant Liberal ass kissing the Star has put out in a while.

soulchaser
08-15-2017, 11:40 AM
They only talk of "organized crime" involvement.

Well, there is still going to be a s--tload of illegal weed available for purchase.

Forbes/Hutton
08-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Organized crime will just move onto other (harder) drugs instead. It sounds like one pound of fentanyl could be cut with 100 pounds of baking soda and sold as heroin, the customers (that live) wouldn't know the difference and it's going to be far easier and profitable to get that one pound of fentanyl across the border. Failing that, they go to something that can be made domestically, like meth, and avoid any risk at the border entirely.
The end of prohibition was supposed to be the end of the mafia, but they switched to heroin instead, later, cocaine, so much for that great plan.

Swampdonkey
08-15-2017, 05:57 PM
The real solution is to give Canadians more motivation to live more productive, less idle lives with fewer reasons to take drugs.

Stop excessive taxation and absurd regulation, make law more moral, incentivize people to be responsible and conscientious.

lone-wolf
08-15-2017, 06:17 PM
go ahead and invest in the pot business,, I'll be buying seeds for my green house

Space buckets, don't even need to take up room in the green house.

FallisCowboy
08-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Reminds me of an old joke......"If the government ran it, not even crime would pay".