PDA

View Full Version : Ezra Levant fires Faith Goldy from The Rebel. Gavin McInnes leaves for "competitor".

soulchaser
08-17-2017, 10:29 PM
Rebel Media, the far-right news organization that Ezra Levant built from the remnants of the Sun News Network, appeared in near total meltdown on Thursday, losing more high-profile contributors, facing accusations of financial mismanagement and being shunned by leading conservative politicians as the shock of the Charlottesville neo-Nazi protests reverberated through Canada.

Despite an effort this week by Levant to distance The Rebel from the “alt-right” white nationalist movement that violently marched on the Virginia college town on the weekend, The Rebel’s sympathetic coverage of the movement’s racist provocateurs and their conspiracy theories led many of its best-known contributors to quit this week, including co-founder Brian Lilley and National Post contributors Barbara Kay and John Robson. On Thursday, Vice Media co-founder Gavin McInnes also reportedly departed. In an email to the media news site Canadaland, Levant said The Rebel had “tried to keep (McInnes), but he was lured away by a major competitor that we just couldn’t outbid.” McInnes did not respond to the Post’s request for comment.

Also on Thursday, Levant fired Faith Goldy, the contributor who had covered the weekend’s protests in Charlottesville. Goldy did not respond to the Post’s requests for comment, but confirmed her dismissal in a tweet Thursday night.

I'll miss you, @TheRebelTV — from colleague friends to faraway fans, you remain my extended family. pic.twitter.com/vTuFSucZrD

— ☩ Faith J Goldy ���� (@FaithGoldy) August 18, 2017

As The Rebel grappled with the departures, Norwegian Cruise Lines bent to the pressure of U.K.-based advocacy group Hope Not Hate and cancelled The Rebel’s booking for a Caribbean voyage featuring talks by Rebel personalities, saying the views The Rebel has espoused are “inconsistent” with the cruise line’s own “core values.” Meanwhile, the anonymous online activist group Sleeping Giants reported its long-running efforts to organize an advertising boycott of The Rebel has now resulted in a total of 237 advertisers, including major automotive firms, airlines, retailers and governments, dropping The Rebel from their campaigns.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/politicians-contributors-distance-themselves-as-rebel-medias-meltdown-continues/wcm/23597cc0-4c97-4e64-bea4-999bd870f1f1

lb1234
08-17-2017, 10:42 PM
I think we have reached a tipping point as far as where society is headed. If you lean to the right, you will be brow beat into accepting a messed up world or be shunned. Time to invest in chain link, razor wire and ammo.

Plinker 777
08-17-2017, 10:51 PM
Rebel Media, the far-right news organization that Ezra Levant built from the remnants of the Sun News Network, appeared in near total meltdown on Thursday, losing more high-profile contributors, facing accusations of financial mismanagement and being shunned by leading conservative politicians as the shock of the Charlottesville neo-Nazi protests reverberated through Canada.

Despite an effort this week by Levant to distance The Rebel from the “alt-right” white nationalist movement that violently marched on the Virginia college town on the weekend, The Rebel’s sympathetic coverage of the movement’s racist provocateurs and their conspiracy theories led many of its best-known contributors to quit this week, including co-founder Brian Lilley and National Post contributors Barbara Kay and John Robson. On Thursday, Vice Media co-founder Gavin McInnes also reportedly departed. In an email to the media news site Canadaland, Levant said The Rebel had “tried to keep (McInnes), but he was lured away by a major competitor that we just couldn’t outbid.” McInnes did not respond to the Post’s request for comment.

Also on Thursday, Levant fired Faith Goldy, the contributor who had covered the weekend’s protests in Charlottesville. Goldy did not respond to the Post’s requests for comment, but confirmed her dismissal in a tweet Thursday night.

I'll miss you, @TheRebelTV — from colleague friends to faraway fans, you remain my extended family. pic.twitter.com/vTuFSucZrD

— ☩ Faith J Goldy ���� (@FaithGoldy) August 18, 2017

As The Rebel grappled with the departures, Norwegian Cruise Lines bent to the pressure of U.K.-based advocacy group Hope Not Hate and cancelled The Rebel’s booking for a Caribbean voyage featuring talks by Rebel personalities, saying the views The Rebel has espoused are “inconsistent” with the cruise line’s own “core values.” Meanwhile, the anonymous online activist group Sleeping Giants reported its long-running efforts to organize an advertising boycott of The Rebel has now resulted in a total of 237 advertisers, including major automotive firms, airlines, retailers and governments, dropping The Rebel from their campaigns.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/politicians-contributors-distance-themselves-as-rebel-medias-meltdown-continues/wcm/23597cc0-4c97-4e64-bea4-999bd870f1f1

Anyone with a shred of decency (and or common sense) is distancing themselves from these people, and those who hold their views. Donald Trump still remains defiant and is digging a deeper hole for himself via twitter today apparently.

Swampdonkey
08-17-2017, 10:55 PM
I don't see how white nationalists are any worse than politically active Status Indians or Muslims. Just another identity group wanting a bone thrown their way, protesting in the common manner.

RangeBob
08-17-2017, 10:55 PM
Disassociate yourself from people who do bad things, or be lumped in with them. That's just the way life works.
-- Ben Shapiro UN7ls0lnDr4 @ 7:00

Today's assignment. What are bad things?

lone-wolf
08-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Disassociate yourself from people who do bad things, or be lumped in with them. That's just the way life works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDss0Up7Fko

Swampdonkey
08-17-2017, 11:00 PM

ISIS, Al-Qaeda, Hezbollah, Wahabbism, Taliban, Hamas, PLO . . .

chrisc
08-18-2017, 12:16 AM
what exactly did Faith do that has started such a firestorm?

Billythreefeathers
08-18-2017, 04:32 AM

she dared speak the truth

Doug_M
08-18-2017, 04:50 AM
she dared speak the truth

I stopped watching The Rebel a few months back. It just got too over the top with the "omg the Muslims". And I'm both an original financial donor to The Rebel and essentially anti-Islam.

I preferred Lilley's methods of getting facts (ATIPs) and blatantly pointing them out where the MSM ignored it.

Lilley's summed it up best in his resignation post. The Rebel needs an editor and a coherent direction. It's a mess and is spiralling down the drain.

Gunexpert007
08-18-2017, 05:48 AM

I was wondering that myself . I suspect that she will end up being shunned by the main stream media ; and may have trouble finding work in the media field .

Two For Sure
08-18-2017, 05:53 AM
According to Ezra she went to Charlottesville when he specifically told her not to and was a regular contributor to the Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website.

She crossed the line from commentator to participant and supporter.

mtlgun
08-18-2017, 07:06 AM
" “tried to keep (McInnes) " Why ? Even in the midst of an abandon ship Ezra still doesn't seem to get it. McInnes leaving is a gift. His version of Fight Club for Imbeciles has train wreck written all over it. It's just a matter of time before he does or says something so stupid that he disgraces everyone associated with him.

The Rebel ( stupid name to begin with ) could have been an intelligent outlet for centrist journalism with a bent toward small government/fiscal conservatism. Instead they took the Fox/National Enquirer route with occasional Huffington Post/Mother Jones explosions of stupidity.

Hopefully Brian or some other adult with a few ounces of good judgement gets the ball rolling on something new with a clearer vision. We desperately need an intelligent source of non-leftist/progressive news but The Rebel wasn't and wont ever be it.

firemachine69
08-18-2017, 07:19 AM
According to Ezra she went to Charlottesville when he specifically told her not to and was a regular contributor to the Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website.

Supposed contributor. We don't know for sure.

We do know Ezra tried paying off lots of people all of sudden, almost as if someone with a big check book had given him lots of coin.

The world is not as it seems...

coastal
08-18-2017, 07:49 AM
She got fired for doing a podcast on the daily stormer.

https://youtu.be/Imwl2iwjPwg

coastal
08-18-2017, 07:57 AM
Watch this video and pretend you're married to her and she's starting a fight about leaving the toilet seat up...

No thanks!

https://youtu.be/u8WPz2u1ipA

killer kane
08-18-2017, 08:14 AM

https://youtu.be/Imwl2iwjPwg

I think I'll sit the rest of this one out. There's more going on here and hopefully we'll see it shortly.

killer kane
08-18-2017, 08:18 AM
I stopped watching The Rebel a few months back. It just got too over the top with the "omg the Muslims". And I'm both an original financial donor to The Rebel and essentially anti-Islam.

I preferred Lilley's methods of getting facts (ATIPs) and blatantly pointing them out where the MSM ignored it.

Lilley's summed it up best in his resignation post. The Rebel needs an editor and a coherent direction. It's a mess and is spiralling down the drain.

I agree, but it seems that something else is going on, remember, the Rebel's site has grown to the point that even being over the top as Ezra is, if pressure was, or still is put on the right people then they go quietly into the night and with them goes the opposing view to the msm. Or maybe Ezra's nuts, or crooked, don't know, but at this point someone else should chime in, like Sheila Gunn Reid perhaps.

Mcinnes probably went to CRTV, or Daily Caller. Faith Goldy has a following, so she'll do ok, if she's telling the truth, if not, that'll come out soon enough.

soulchaser
08-18-2017, 08:23 AM

And the fact David Duke praised her after Charlottesville probably didn't help.

Doug_M
08-18-2017, 09:13 AM

There is a difference between debate and being supportive (or appearing to be supportive). According to the NP she was the latter not the former.

In it, she said she “salutes” the white supremacists for showing up to Charlottesville “in hordes,” then she clarified with a laugh: “Not a Roman salute, guys,” a reference to the stiff armed Nazi salute.

The podcast’s live audience erupted in cheers and applause when Goldy predicted that within five years an alt-right politician would run for office.
“Love you or hate you, people would be fools to ignore you,” she said.

Ceska
08-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Watch this video and pretend you're married to her and she's starting a fight about leaving the toilet seat up...

No thanks!

https://youtu.be/u8WPz2u1ipA

As someone who does not watch Faith, this video shows me a strong, well articulated women speaking her mind and being very straightforward.

I personally only like strong women, she seems like a catch to me!

Eddmac
08-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Having never seen or heard any of Faith's reports before - I gotta say I agree with Ceska. I don't see anything wrong with what she said or how she said it - I actually agree with a lot of what she said in the video above.
I think the West in general is in for a torrid time here and unfortunately, the Lefty sheeple don't seem to realise what's going to happen.

RangeBob
08-18-2017, 01:05 PM
This was the interview that resulted in Rebel Media reporter Faith Goldy losing her job. She had attended (as a reporter) the UniteTheRight rally in Charlottesville Virginia on August 12, 2017. Scenes of Faith Goldy reporting on the rally are in this video.
http://y2u.be/GAGh3USykUA

It includes her comment near 9 minutes about "we will have alt-right men and women running for political office" which resulted in applause from the audience.
and "People will be fools to ignore you."

This is Ezra's statement about why
http://y2u.be/zz027kdYCls

shortandlong
08-18-2017, 04:00 PM
Something interesting from my email box from the liberal party YESTERDAY......

liberal
xxxxxx

as justin trudeau said this week, we know that canada is not immune to racist violence and hate. Liberals and all canadians condemn it in all of its forms.

For andrew scheer though, this condemnation has been harder to come by -- with his conservative party maintaining close ties with the far-right rebel media organization.

The canadian press has described the rebel as "an organization increasingly linked with the alt-right, the name most commonly used to represent the white nationalist movement in the u.s. Involved in the incidents in virginia over the weekend."

andrew scheer's campaign manager is listed as one of the rebel's directors. Scheer has given the rebel several interviews, including one just minutes after his victory speech the night he became leader of the conservative party. In fact, more than a quarter of conservative mps have done the same.

All of this despite the rebel media organization's longstanding expression of far-right and hateful positions. One of their hosts has even praised the "well thought-out ideas" of neo-nazi leader richard spencer.

Canadians are deeply concerned that the conservative party and the rebel media are still struggling to part ways. Andrew scheer has still refused to denounce and end all ties with the organization.
Tell the Conservative Party what the rest of Canadians already know: Hate has no place in Canadian politics.

Add your name to call upon Andrew Scheer and the Conservative Party to end all ties with the Rebel Media organization, and to instead help unite our country with leadership that brings Canadians together.

Add your name ➜

Thanks for your support.

Braeden Caley
Senior Director, Communications
Liberal Party of Canada

OH GOLLY LOOK ANOTHER TODAY? NO NOTHING CHOREOGRAPHED HERE

Over 5,000 Canadians have already spoken up and called on the Conservatives to end all ties with the Rebel Media organization.
Add your name now and let's keep the pressure on:

XXXX, add your voice ➜

XXX, hate has no place in Canadian politics.

We know this, you know this, and Justin Trudeau knows this -- that is why the Liberal movement has always worked so hard to unite Canadians behind a common cause: one that stands up for the rights and freedoms of all Canadians, and understands that diversity is one of our deepest sources of strength.

Unfortunately though, the Rebel Media organization has run starkly in the opposite direction -- and has a longstanding and widely-reported record of espousing far-right and hateful positions.

Regrettably, leading Conservatives have long held close ties to the Rebel, but thanks to calls from Canadians like you, many of them (and some of The Rebel's own staff) are just now starting to denounce the Rebel Media organization and its extreme agenda.

But Andrew Scheer's Conservatives are still struggling to do the same.

In fact, many of their MPs are still dragging their feet to denounce an organization that the Canadian Press has described as "increasingly linked with the alt-right, the name most commonly used to represent the white nationalist movement in the U.S."

XXX, add your voice to the nearly 5,000 Canadians who have called upon the Conservatives to end all ties with the Rebel Media organization, and to instead help unite our country with leadership that brings Canadians together.

Add your voice ➜

Thank you,

Liberal Party of Canada

Doug_M
08-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Are the Liberals going to denounce the far left Tyee?

ilikemoose
08-18-2017, 04:09 PM
When she did an interview with Daily Stormer, Faith must have forgotten that Ezra is Jewish.

I can see how that would cause them to part ways.

firemachine69
08-18-2017, 06:23 PM
When she did an interview with Daily Stormer, Faith must have forgotten that Ezra is Jewish.

It's more than that. Beyond that particular podcast, apparently she was an active member on the board, too.

Seriously, WTF was she thinking?

soulchaser
08-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Something interesting from my email box from the liberal party YESTERDAY......

OH GOLLY LOOK ANOTHER TODAY? NO NOTHING CHOREOGRAPHED HERE

5,000 Liberals have signed a Liberal petition calling on Scheer to denounce Rebel huh?

140,000+ Canadians of all political stripes signed a non partisan Canadian Taxpayer Federation petition condemning Trudeau's $10.5 million Kadhr payout.

And notice the second email starts off with OVER 5,000 Canadians have already signed the petition, yet ends by asking you to join the NEARLY 5,000 Canadians who have already signed? Libeals can't keep their bulls--t straight in their own propaganda.

Nevermind the fact Scheer has already said no more Rebel appearances until they change their editorial direction.

shortandlong
08-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Are the Liberals going to denounce the far left Tyee?

Ever commie Needs useful Idiots

RangeBob
08-18-2017, 09:04 PM
Any chance Faith Goldie will go work for Trump?
Lots of job security there.

Two For Sure
08-19-2017, 06:10 AM

She didn't forget. On the podcast there is a brief discussion initiated by the interviewer whether Ezra keeps kosher.

GeofBarrington
08-21-2017, 01:13 AM
The left is radical ..muslims are rdical
But when the right does radical the world freks out .

Doug_M
08-21-2017, 04:54 AM
The left is radical ..muslims are rdical
But when the right does radical the world freks out .

Welcome to GOC!

awndray
08-21-2017, 05:42 AM
LOL! This news makes me laugh.

Swingerguy
08-21-2017, 05:50 AM
Any chance Faith Goldie will go work for Trump?
Lots of job security there.

Lol

IJ22
08-21-2017, 11:49 AM
Nevermind the fact Scheer has already said no more Rebel appearances until they change their editorial direction.

Yeah, when The Rebel embraces Islam and censors all conservative viewpoints Scheer will grace them with his presence.

TJSpeller
08-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Things just got worse:

http://whtc.com/news/articles/2017/aug/21/conservative-canadian-site-the-rebel-disrupted-as-its-loses-domain-provider/
If this is based on their content, it's a pretty big step up in the aggression against right wingers and against freedom of speech. TheRebel.ca is not the Daily Stormer.

My family has already lived through this type of thing under communism in two continents. The next step is being informed upon by friends/family/neighbours for saying the wrong thing. I'm not kidding.

TORONTO (Reuters) - Conservative Canadian website The Rebel said its domain provider cut its internet registration, making the site inaccessible to some users around the world on Monday as the company scrambled to get back online using a second provider.

The move comes after GoDaddy Inc, Alphabet Inc's Google and other technology firms last week pushed the neo-Nazi website Daily Stormer offline by terminating services of the online publication that helped organize the violent rally in Virginia on Aug. 12.

Rebel Media founder Ezra Levant, whose website often rails against Muslims and refugees, did not identify the firm that severed his site's registration, although he said he was given 24 hours' notice and no explanation for the move.

"If this was a political censorship decision, it is terrifying - like a phone company telling you it is cancelling your phone number on 24 hours notice because it doesn’t like your conversations," Levant told Reuters.

He said the site was available in "about half of the world."

awndray
08-21-2017, 01:15 PM
HA! It gets better and better.

awndray
08-21-2017, 01:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3UKAivWrio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTfSgnWeL48

TJSpeller
08-21-2017, 01:38 PM

Don't worry, they'll come for your speech soon enough.

I would have thought a gun owner should know better.

Waterloomike
08-21-2017, 01:40 PM
5,000 Liberals have signed a Liberal petition calling on Scheer to denounce Rebel huh?

140,000+ Canadians of all political stripes signed a non partisan Canadian Taxpayer Federation petition condemning Trudeau's $10.5 million Kadhr payout.

And notice the second email starts off with OVER 5,000 Canadians have already signed the petition, yet ends by asking you to join the NEARLY 5,000 Canadians who have already signed? Libeals can't keep their bulls--t straight in their own propaganda.

But no doubt he will do interviews with cbc and any other lefty outlet. He must approve of their editorial direction.

The world is not just upside down, it's inside out and very twisted.

Rory McCanuck
08-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Yes, because any voice dissenting from the Minitrue's word would be double-plus ungood.

I tried to give The Rebel a chance, but I found almost everything I saw too earnest/strident/sensational/apocalyptic for my tastes.
So I did what most reasonable people would do, I didn't watch.
That doesn't mean I want them to be eradicated, I just don't care to watch.

I had a very brief look at Rabble, just to see what it was.
Very quickly, my head simply hurt, and I left.
I have absolutely no desire to take part, but neither do I wish to take away the rubber room for those people to play in where they won't hurt themselves or others.

I've had occasion to live under censorship and totalitarianism, it ain't great.
I'd really prefer that that particular ideology didn't take hold here.

awndray
08-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Don't worry, they'll come for your speech soon enough.

I would have thought a gun owner should know better.

Spare me the rhetoric.

awndray
08-21-2017, 01:43 PM
But no doubt he will do interviews with cbc and any other lefty outlet.

How else do you expect him to reach out to the other side?

Waterloomike
08-21-2017, 01:45 PM

Clearly i' m referencing the sad contradiction.

Can you not recognise that?

TJSpeller
08-21-2017, 02:35 PM

Do you think there is the slightest chance the other side will reach back?

TJSpeller
08-21-2017, 02:56 PM
Spare me the rhetoric.

It ain't rhetoric. It's the history of my side of the family from Eastern Europe, and my wife's side of the family from communist Vietnam. My grandmother-in-law was put in a circle at her village for her wrong ideas (she owned things), and after being spat upon, stoned, and reviled by the village mob, she hung herself. My grandfather was a leading communist until he dared disagree with something or another the leader ordered, and found himself losing his job, then jailed, and eventually he fled the country.

When ideas and words are increasingly banned because people are upset or offended by them, it's an accelerating path to that kind out outcome. Think it can't happen here? That's called normalcy bias. I don't see a long distance between TheRebel.ca being blocked, and GOC being banned.

Unelected and unaccountable powers are banning/blocking facts and uncomfortable truths. We're half way there.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-21/one-statistics-professor-was-just-banned-google-here-his-story

Plinker 777
08-21-2017, 04:54 PM
It ain't rhetoric. It's the history of my side of the family from Eastern Europe, and my wife's side of the family from communist Vietnam. My grandmother-in-law was put in a circle at her village for her wrong ideas (she owned things), and after being spat upon, stoned, and reviled by the village mob, she hung herself. My grandfather was a leading communist until he dared disagree with something or another the leader ordered, and found himself losing his job, then jailed, and eventually he fled the country.

When ideas and words are increasingly banned because people are upset or offended by them, it's an accelerating path to that kind out outcome. Think it can't happen here? That's called normalcy bias. I don't see a long distance between TheRebel.ca being blocked, and GOC being banned.

Unelected and unaccountable powers are banning/blocking facts and uncomfortable truths. We're half way there.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-21/one-statistics-professor-was-just-banned-google-here-his-story

An old professor once said to me "So what!?" "So what, now what!?" What he's saying is..."What are you going to do about it!?"

Rory McCanuck
08-21-2017, 05:23 PM
An old professor once said to me "So what!?" "So what, now what!?" What he's saying is..."What are you going to do about it!?"
He's speaking out against it happening here.
I would have thought that was pretty self-evident, but we'll spoonfeed it to you regardless.

TJSpeller
08-21-2017, 05:42 PM
What am I doing?

1) I'm active in the CPC, trying to champion a libertarian perspective.

2) I've introduced policy items to that effect, and on one occasion it was nearly adopted into the CPC policy manual. I am trying again this year. As a matter of fact I am presenting it to my EDA this Wednesday.

"The Conservative Party of Canada understands that the Internet is an important tool for freedom of expression and creativity. The CPC will protect Canadians' online privacy and does not support warrant-less monitoring and censorship of social media and other digital communication tools. "

It may not be as strong as I want it to be, but I live in the real world of politics, not in the online echo chamber of wishful thinking, so if I want to have a hope of getting it to the next national policy convention it has to be reasonable to the average person.

3) I donate to worthy causes that protect individual freedoms, most recently the Canadian Constitution Foundation. Look them up (http://theccf.ca/), they do good work.

4) I speak out to friends and family about all the crazy 1984-ish stuff that's happening more and more every day. It's amazing how little they know about this stuff.

5) I support individual journalists and media that have the courage to go against the current mainstream narrative, with actual money.

What about you?

awndray
08-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Unelected and unaccountable powers are banning/blocking facts and uncomfortable truths. We're half way there.One private company is refusing service to another. Do they not have that right?

RangeBob
08-21-2017, 06:42 PM
One private company is refusing service to another. Do they not have that right?

They probably have the right,
but
Lots of companies have been denied the right to deny service (catholic hospitals vs Obamacare, that cake shop that had to make gay worded cakes, segregation of restaurants water-coolers washrooms schools housing busses, etc), why not google as well.

And there's the idea that monopolies aren't good for anyone.
- They broke up Bell years ago,
- Remember the congressional hearing in which a politician asked the audience to raise their hands if they used a Microsoft operating system, everyone raised their hands, and the politician said "And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the definition of a monopoly."
- there have been huge concerns about how few people own US media, and the US reducing ownership limiting legislation
- 1984's warnings about the control of information, only showing one side
- Our court system is designed to allow both sides to debate and present facts including cross examination, shouldn't political ideas which are global in scope and importance, be afforded the same

What if
https://s4.postimg.org/kq7durujx/IMG_6949.jpg
resulted in only the wrong information being shown?
What if a study was done, using google search results as the data source, that showed that 97% disagreed with gun ownership and there was no pro gun science to be found?

Plinker 777
08-21-2017, 06:43 PM
He's speaking out against it happening here.
I would have thought that was pretty self-evident, but we'll spoonfeed it to you regardless.

Are you baiting me? :popcorn:

Plinker 777
08-21-2017, 06:52 PM
What am I doing?

1) I'm active in the CPC, trying to champion a libertarian perspective.

2) I've introduced policy items to that effect, and on one occasion it was nearly adopted into the CPC policy manual. I am trying again this year. As a matter of fact I am presenting it to my EDA this Wednesday.

"The Conservative Party of Canada understands that the Internet is an important tool for freedom of expression and creativity. The CPC will protect Canadians' online privacy and does not support warrant-less monitoring and censorship of social media and other digital communication tools. "

It may not be as strong as I want it to be, but I live in the real world of politics, not in the online echo chamber of wishful thinking, so if I want to have a hope of getting it to the next national policy convention it has to be reasonable to the average person.

3) I donate to worthy causes that protect individual freedoms, most recently the Canadian Constitution Foundation. Look them up (http://theccf.ca/), they do good work.

4) I speak out to friends and family about all the crazy 1984-ish stuff that's happening more and more every day. It's amazing how little they know about this stuff.

5) I support individual journalists and media that have the courage to go against the current mainstream narrative, with actual money.

What about you?

Excellent...I am also politically active (not as involved as you are, for the specified reason that employers can and do discriminate due to political affiliation :slap:, and I like eating, so...:eek1:).
I'm glad that you seem to be divergent from a lot of hot air around here and are actually doing something about it.
Even though I may or may not agree with your positions, I do respect a man who walks the talk.:gun1

Swampdonkey
08-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Are you baiting me? :popcorn:

It verily attests to the impartiality, patience, and integrity of GOC that you can troll a moderator without reprisal. Leadership by example is most natural to follow.

Regards to Rory, Kenny, et al.

TJSpeller
08-21-2017, 07:29 PM
One private company is refusing service to another. Do they not have that right?

It depends. Google is pretty much in utility monopoly territory when it comes to delivery of and access to information. It would not be hard to make a case for breaking up that monopoly.

lone-wolf
08-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Electronic monopolys never seem to last, when was the last time you logged onto myspace using netscape by webcrawling it first?

Rory McCanuck
08-22-2017, 08:52 AM
It depends. Google is pretty much in utility monopoly territory when it comes to delivery of and access to information. It would not be hard to make a case for breaking up that monopoly.

Except they aren't.
I haven't used the Google search engine for about 3 years.
I have a G-mail account, but it has two entries in the inbox.
Youtube, well, I use that quite a bit, but there are certainly other place to watch user uploaded videos, they just aren't as popular.
Maybe if enough people got pissed at Youtube and created content somewhere else, tha somewhere else would be as popular as Youtube is today.

Whatever business model Photobucket was using apperntly wasn't working, but I'm reasonably sure they've hung themselves with this 'pay us or you can't link to pics' nonsense. Their entire reason for being has disappeared.

TJSpeller
08-22-2017, 09:54 AM
Depending on the source quoted, Google searches account for 65 - 90% of search traffic.

And Youtube has even more dominance in mainstream videos.

I'd say that's pretty close to a monopoly.

Doug_M
08-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Youtube, well, I use that quite a bit, but there are certainly other place to watch user uploaded videos, they just aren't as popular.
Maybe if enough people got pissed at Youtube and created content somewhere else, tha somewhere else would be as popular as Youtube is today.

The majority of profitable (for Google) videos on YouTube are gamers and young bubble-heads making stupid videos only the tweens, teens and young adults can appreciate. And they're not being affected by YouTube's crackdown one bit. The only viable solution is for those who've been put in the restricted category to monetize some other way or for a collective of sorts to set up show elsewhere. This is already happening (Full 30, CRTC, Crowder's Mug Club etc) but the little guy can't do that because they don't have a big enough audience to ask for money.

TJSpeller
08-22-2017, 10:31 AM
Well, certainly Google has made it clear that it is the enemy of liberty and freedom. I would think that the 30-40% of Americans (and Canadians) who value freedom and resent domination of the media by the "progressive" crowd should be able to create and make financially viable online tools such as Youtube, Gmail, and Facebook where their opinions are not grounds for banning, or eventually - it's already happening in Europe and the UK - criminal prosecution.

Sinbad
08-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Cancelled my subscription. They have some issues to deal with.

TJSpeller
08-22-2017, 01:31 PM
http://www.christianpost.com/news/youtube-just-demonetized-hundreds-of-our-videos-196268/

https://twitter.com/DiamondandSilk/status/895689503523741696

https://twitter.com/GadSaad?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ct wgr%5Eauthor

It's happening in front of our eyes.

awndray
08-22-2017, 01:48 PM
If people were smart, they would stop using YouTube. They would stop clicking on every link thrown their way. They would log off Facebook. They would stop buying everything advertised.

But they're not.

TJSpeller
08-22-2017, 01:57 PM
On average people are not, unfortunately, inherently smart. They are also, on average, not well versed in history. They are, on average, more concerned with their next paycheque, fun event, or family crisis. They tend not to pay attention to what is going on culturally and societally around them until they are hit directly with the consequences.

However, things are moving with dizzying speed, and accelerating, towards some sort of crisis which will hit everyone in some way, and they will wonder how it go to such a point.

Freedom of speech is really disappearing.

People are being beaten, losing their jobs, and losing their voice, for having the wrong political opinion, even if it is non-violent, evidence based, and was accepted as normal 5 or 10 years ago.

There will be pushbback. There will be violence. At some point the state will intervene, and it will be to "protect public order", and we know what that's going to look like.

This story has been written, and acted out, before. Our society is not special.

Swampdonkey
08-22-2017, 02:22 PM
If people were smart, they would stop using YouTube. They would stop clicking on every link thrown their way. They would log off Facebook. They would stop buying everything advertised.

But they're not.

They wouldn't work for the government, except for the extreme few whom might have the integrity and mental fortuity to reform it from within. Evidently, Ottawa has lost its way for a long time.

It's tough being a double agent, since your own side wants to destroy you. Not for everyone.

Doug_M
08-22-2017, 02:54 PM

But they're not.

I...can't...stop...eating...soilent...green

shootemup604
08-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Hey, I buy everything advertised...on GOC! Is that a problem for anyone other than my wife?

IJ22
08-22-2017, 09:01 PM
However, things are moving with dizzying speed, and accelerating, towards some sort of crisis which will hit everyone in some way, and they will wonder how it go to such a point.

Freedom of speech is really disappearing.

People are being beaten, losing their jobs, and losing their voice, for having the wrong political opinion, even if it is non-violent, evidence based, and was accepted as normal 5 or 10 years ago.

There will be pushbback. There will be violence. At some point the state will intervene, and it will be to "protect public order", and we know what that's going to look like.

This story has been written, and acted out, before. Our society is not special.

I agree with you 100%. Venezuela is a perfect example of what happens when Antifa grows up and becomes a tool of the state. Make no mistake, those who dream of a collectivist paradise are in motion, with purpose.

https://twitter.com/LaGuerreraDJHON/status/897543555383689216

https://twitter.com/LaGuerreraDJHON/status/897542023997259781

https://twitter.com/LaGuerreraDJHON/status/897541253595791360

Doug_M
08-23-2017, 04:09 AM
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/the-rebel-up-for-a-bit-of-reboot-says-outlet-founder-ezra-levant/wcm/a9cd7f43-0841-43ea-afa8-21d557563d5a

I’m a flawed leader’: The Rebel getting a reboot, Ezra Levant says as he admits ‘mistakes’
The founder of the online conservative news site admits its content and management need more oversight in the wake of a string of controversies

OTTAWA — The founder of the online news site The Rebel admits its content and management need more oversight in the wake of a string of controversies.

One reporter was fired, another founder quit and two other contributors resigned last week after the outlet came under intense criticism for its coverage of deadly protests in Virginia.

While some believed the outlet to be on its last legs, Rebel founder Ezra Levant said late Tuesday that’s not the plan.

“I’m a flawed leader who has made mistakes,” he wrote in a post on the conservative news site late Tuesday.

“But as long as you stand with me, I will still stand.”

Levant said he’s going to bring in better management of both the business and editorial side of the operation and hire new journalists.

Levant said he is partially to blame, and can no longer run the whole company.

“Maybe I could when we were just eight people in my living room. But not now, with 45 people in four countries, I can’t do my show, and all our campaigns, and also run the company,” he said.

“I need help.”

Levant said while he thinks The Rebel’s coverage has been great, if even one per cent were “wrong editorially,” it could, and has, embarrassed them.

“I think we need more oversight — not more censorship — just to make sure we’re really being on brand with what we believe, what we stand for,” he wrote.

The Rebel has long found itself on the defensive about its coverage, but criticism soared to new heights last week after reporter Faith Goldy travelled to cover protests by white nationalists in Virginia who went on to clash with counter protesters.

Her coverage was seen as being sympathetic to the causes of the nationalists who were chanting anti-Semitic slurs at the event, drawing condemnation from a host of politicians.

Among them — after several days of questions — was Conservative leader Andrew Scheer, who suggested Goldy had crossed the line between reporting the facts and giving those groups a platform.

He pledged no further interviews with the Rebel until it changed its editorial direction.

Levant had sent out a memo in the aftermath of the Virginia protests seeking to distance The Rebel from the so-called “alt-right,” the name adopted by white nationalist and supremacist groups.

But when it emerged, Goldy had also appeared on a podcast affiliated with white supremacist group The Daily Stormer, Levant fired her.

Goldy has since called that a “poor decision.”

“We’re going to reboot with a new team, new talent, new journalists, new TV shows,” Levant wrote in his post. “Not to prove anything to our haters — I promise you they’ll hate our new reporters as much as they hated the old ones.”

Levant also confirmed Tuesday that contributor Gavin McInnes is leaving the outlet, a move he said has been in the works for awhile.

Among his controversial contributions had been a post about a trip to Israel originally titled “10 things I hate about Jews,” though that was changed after an outcry.

That trip was among those The Rebel paid for by crowdfunding, and Levant is now pledging greater transparency over how much money the Rebel raises and how it gets spent.

That promise comes after two other former contributors levied a string of allegations last week about misuse of donations.

On Tuesday, Levant said in the past fiscal year, The Rebel raised $1.54 million via crowdfunding, with the average gift being $78.

He said that nearly covers the $1.67 million in the outlet’s expenses.

He said charity campaigns run by The Rebel have netted upward of $853,000 for causes including the Fort McMurray wildfires and saving Christians in the Middle East.

In addition to donations, The Rebel asks people to subscribe to their premium online content for $8 a month. Levant did not release figures Tuesday on the number of paid subscribers.

There are currently about 855,000 subscribers to the site’s YouTube channel, down more than 15,000 since last week.

The Rebel was launched in 2015 following the demise of the conservative Sun News Network.

killer kane
08-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Hopefully the Rebel can get past this and we'll still have a voice up here.

lone-wolf
08-23-2017, 10:31 AM
I was never interested in the rebel but that last article really did peak my interest if they follow through with their goals