PDA

View Full Version : United Conservative Party application rejected by Calgary Pride parade

Billythreefeathers
08-19-2017, 06:43 AM
United Conservative Party application rejected by Calgary Pride parade

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-pride-parade-ucp-1.4254092

Without clear policy supporting the LGBTQ community, members of the newly formed United Conservative Party won't be permitted to take part in this year's Calgary Pride parade.

Instead, UCP members are being asked to first complete a three-hour workshop hosted by the Calgary Sexual Health Centre aimed at increasing "the comfort and skill of professionals to talk about sexual health, relationships, gender and sexual diversity," according to a letter sent to party members.

"In the application process, we ask political entries to provide information on how they've worked with our community in the past 12 months," the letter states.

"As your organization does not yet have clear policy in support of the gender and sexually diverse community, we would like to encourage a collaborative learning opportunity, prior to participating as parade entries."

Calgary Pride festival moving to Prince's Island Park
UCP members are invited to participate as spectators.

In an emailed statement, Calgary Pride president and executive producer Jason Kingsley said they look forward to building a relationship with UCP members, "and having them demonstrate their commitment to the gender and sexually diverse community through their new platform and policies over the next year and onward."

UCP communications director Samantha Johnston said the party is working with Pride officials to schedule the workshops, however that won't be done in time for this year's event.

No one from the party was made available for interviews.

The annual event draws upward of 60,000 and this year's parade goes Sept. 3 from noon to 1:30 p.m. along Sixth Avenue S.E., finishing at Prince's Island Park.

David Khan
Liberal leader David Khan is the first openly gay leader of a provincial political party. (CBC)

Liberal leader David Khan the first openly gay leader of a political party in Alberta said he has no problem with the UCP application being rejected until members complete the workshop.

"I think it's a constructive step moving forward," he said. "Many in the UCP caucus have a history of not supporting LGBTQ rights, including the interim leader [Nathan Cooper] so I think it's good to see Calgary Pride is requiring them to show their stance has changed and they do support the LGBTQ right, and education is always a good idea."

Apart from him being the first openly gay leader of a political party in Alberta, Khan said the Liberals have a long history of supporting LGBTQ rights.

"We spearheaded the [Gay-Straight Alliance] bill to have GSAs a requirement in schools," he said.

Khan was elected party leader in June and this will be the first Calgary Pride parade he marches in as head of the provincial Liberals.

Greg Clark
Alberta Party leader Greg Clark says he agrees with UCP members being asked to complete a workshop before being allowed to march in the Pride parade. (James Young/CBC)

Billythreefeathers
08-19-2017, 06:43 AM
you offer an olive branch, and all they want to do is set it on fire

BruceW
08-19-2017, 06:54 AM
How very inclusive of them.

killer kane
08-19-2017, 09:13 AM
But the gay community under the UCP would have the same rights as everyone else in redberta. I do see an indoctrination session was expected before being allowed into the lil club though. I've been through the same sort of courses, my wife's doing one online, as she's employed by our betters, all I can tell you is they do try to brow beat and instill the notion of good old white male priv.

Swampdonkey
08-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Red Tories haven't been sufficiently purged from the UPC.

soulchaser
08-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Calgary Pride best hope the NDP win the nexr provincial election because if they don't I forsee a problem with their application for provincial funding under a UCP government.

Calgary Pride: Hi, here's our application for funding for our gay pride events.

UCP government: What have you done in the last year to work constructively with the straight community.

Calgary Pride: Ummm.........

UCP government: OH, that's too bad. We require you to take a 3 hour workshop to understand straight issues.

speedloader
08-19-2017, 10:43 AM
first dising the police who protect them now biting the hand that will
feed them our money HMMMMM
maybe if you wanna fit in you should act like it instead of causing a divide
every chance you get ....... just saying

lone-wolf
08-19-2017, 10:54 AM
You couldn't pay me enough to step foot near a pride parade. I don't participate in circle jerk virtue signaling to stroke the egos of people with low self esteem.

Rory McCanuck
08-19-2017, 11:14 AM
Will the UCP now don facemasks and black clothes, pick up their bats and shields, and go protest the discriminatory fascists?

firemachine69
08-19-2017, 05:30 PM
I just want to point out, literally three quarters of my wedding attendees who were single were gay, and none want to embarass themselves attending any sort of pride parade...

SeirX
08-19-2017, 06:27 PM
While I'm not for any of this glad-handing circle-jerking self-important nonsense.. it's a thing that gets a lot of media attention..so perhaps the conservatives should send their most-staunchly-conservative individual who can smile through their teeth during Indoctrination Time and make for a nice photo-op while never forgetting what they're really there for - a `nicer``more inclusive` Conservative party that shows even the most vocal of `minorities` are important to them

ilikemoose
08-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Gays and conservatives should not mix.

The gays seem to understand this better than the UCP.

Butters Stotch
08-20-2017, 07:53 AM

Why shouldn't gays and conservatives mix?

firemachine69
08-20-2017, 08:00 AM

When you get the government dictating morality, you end up with the liberal party, in a nutshell.

P-B.
08-20-2017, 08:35 AM
My question is why would the UCP Want to attend such a doings??
Nothing to be gained sucking up to the likes of these.

FALover
08-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Interesting that the alphabet community demands participation in a indoctrination workshop to be allowed entry into a publicly funded event. BUT... our government does not require the members of a government group to take lessons on a particular subject as it may cause hurt feelings and stress. ( turd boy's firearm advisory board). Maybe a lawsuit is in order against Calgary's 'pride' people because their demands make some folks uncomfortable and uneasy?

FallisCowboy
08-20-2017, 11:37 AM
Interesting that the alphabet community demands participation in a indoctrination workshop to be allowed entry into a publicly funded event. BUT... our government does not require the members of a government group to take lessons on a particular subject as it may cause hurt feelings and stress. ( turd boy's firearm advisory board). Maybe a lawsuit is in order against Calgary's 'pride' people because their demands make some folks uncomfortable and uneasy?

Another classic case of applying the rules when it is convenient, but not allowing everyone the benefit of those same rules when it is not. There is way too much of this crap happening today for my liking.

lone-wolf
08-20-2017, 11:55 AM
My question is why would the UCP Want to attend such a doings??
Nothing to be gained sucking up to the likes of these.

SeirX sums it up, but I also have doubts about it making a difference. People are pretty entrenched in their thoughts, ucp attends and it's a heartless play for votes, they don't attend and it's a 'typical homophobic conservative party boogyman'

Actually, the pride parade rejecting them might of been the best outcome. Makes it look like they tried and it's the pride's parade intolerance showing.

killer kane
08-20-2017, 12:29 PM
See juuuust above.

FallisCowboy
08-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Actually, the pride parade rejecting them might of been the best outcome. Makes it look like they tried and it's the pride's parade intolerance showing.

And now we get to the reality of the situation, but just because I am an old white guy, who served this country, I cannot call this for exactly what it is.........intolerant hetrophobia. What a total crock of s__t this country has become. Everyone else gets the right of free speech.....except me, cause I unfortunately speak the truth. It's very sad that I and many others defended them, but now they won't even allow us those very same rights they now enjoy because we defended them. No wonder I'm a grouchy old man.

ilikemoose
08-20-2017, 09:51 PM
The UCP is filled with Wild Rose people, and Wild Rose was pretty open about opposing the gay agenda.

I suspect that the gays know that lots of UCPers still oppose the gay agenda, and doubt the sincerity of the UCP wish to attend a gay pride parade. In fact they probably think it's a dishonest, insincere political move on UCPsome part.

So it's only natural that, in a catty spirit of revanchisim, the gays are going to make the UCPERS grovel and abase themselves before the let them show up at a gay event, it only remains to be seen just how willing the red tories in the UCP are willing to go.

Things being how they are, I suspect Jason Kenny would show up in a rainbow speedo while riding a unicorn if he thought it would get him elected.

RangeBob
08-20-2017, 11:14 PM
while riding a unicorn

I would like to claim aggrieved victim status. My gal has a t-shirt that reads "I am a unicorn!"
Therefore it is my right, as a professed member of the Left, to picket your home town's statues with 1,000 mercenaries* to ...
Oh, wait a minute. That's utterly ridiculous in every point (approximately 10 of them). Never mind.

*18-year-olds of either sex and 35-year-old men-ish, who live in their parent's homes, who request bus fare to arrive. BYOM (bring your own mask)

Yea, you guys are doing a bad job at being close minded hateful conservatives/gun owners/ect

We try.

firemachine69
08-21-2017, 04:10 AM
The UCP is filled with Wild Rose people, and Wild Rose was pretty open about opposing the gay agenda.

I suspect that the gays know that lots of UCPers still oppose the gay agenda, and doubt the sincerity of the UCP wish to attend a gay pride parade. In fact they probably think it's a dishonest, insincere political move on UCPsome part.

So it's only natural that, in a catty spirit of revanchisim, the gays are going to make the UCPERS grovel and abase themselves before the let them show up at a gay event, it only remains to be seen just how willing the red tories in the UCP are willing to go.

Things being how they are, I suspect Jason Kenny would show up in a rainbow speedo while riding a unicorn if he thought it would get him elected.

There's a few WR folks that are going to be shocked to learn that there is a very rapidly growing movement of gay folks opposed to "that" gay movement.

Carguy2550
08-21-2017, 09:00 AM
It's for the best the UCP isn't in the parade. We shouldn't be playing identity politics. I only recognize one special interest group - Albertans.

killer kane
08-21-2017, 10:05 AM

Well, the Wild Rose people I've talked to feel that gays should have equal rights, the agenda of "I need more rights than you, because I'm x, y, or z." not so much.

FallisCowboy
08-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Well, the Wild Rose people I've talked to feel that gays should have equal rights, the agenda of "I need more rights than you, because I'm x, y, or z." not so much.

And they do like to believe that they are more equal than the rest of us.