PDA

View Full Version : How would you describe this bore?

webster
08-27-2017, 11:49 AM
I always see words like frosty, minty, dark, etc. tossed around but have no idea what any of those descriptions are supposed to look like. So I ask you, GOC, how would you describe this bore on my SVT-40? My guess is "dark" but I really don't have any experience with non-shiny bores, even in my milsurps.

My camera insists on autofocusing on the muzzle brake, but I found this picture of a Mosin bore that looks pretty similar. The only difference is my rifle has shiny lands.

https://www.milsurps.com/images/imported/2012/10/9130izhevskpu3dy7-1.jpg

kennymo
08-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Dark, light pitting in grooves?

I'm about to put up a Mosin with a similar bore....

Mark-II
08-27-2017, 03:38 PM
That's more than frosted, IMO. Frosted is when the grooves are dull instead of shiny. Think of a bead blasted stainless finish.

I think Ken has it right, or maybe a touch generous. There's a good bit of pitting in the lands as well.

Rifling looks strong, but it's worn rather than crisp. Still quite shootable.

I think that a milsurp dealer like tradex would sum it up as "dark shootable bore, pitting"

webster
08-28-2017, 12:11 PM
Thanks. That's about what I figured. It's definitely still shootable. Runs reliably and accuracy is about what you'd expect from a Soviet miltary rifle.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Justice
08-28-2017, 12:48 PM
That's pitted on the lands too. So is the crown. Rifling is rounded.
"...what you'd expect from a Soviet..." The Mosin's we had in the shop years ago were bang on target at 200 yards with Norma hunting ammo. Was nothing else then.
"...frosty..." Actually looks like it has icy frost in it. Frost is the beginning of rust.
"...Dark..." Means it's heavily rusted and there is no shine at all.
"...Minty..." That'd be BS marketing. 'Mint' means BNIB as it came out of the factory. There is no 'minty'.

Rory McCanuck
08-28-2017, 01:37 PM
"...what you'd expect from a Soviet..." The Mosin's we had in the shop years ago were bang on target at 200 yards with Norma hunting ammo. Was nothing else then.
"...frosty..." Actually looks like it has icy frost in it. Frost is the beginning of rust.
"...Minty..." That'd be BS marketing. 'Mint' means BNIB as it came out of the factory. There is no 'minty'.
However could you possibly tell that from a picture of the chamber?
The Amazing Kreskin has some serious competition.
Or Carnac the Magnificent at least.

Turtlehead
08-28-2017, 03:38 PM
i'd shoot it, but i like things that go *BANG*....

Mumbles Marble Mouth
08-28-2017, 05:09 PM
However could you possibly tell that from a picture of the chamber?
The Amazing Kreskin has some serious competition.
Or Carnac the Magnificent at least.

That's not from the chamber end. That's from the muzzle brake.

Rory McCanuck
08-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Oops, you're right.
But if what I'm looking at is the muzzle, it doesn't seem very pitted?

Anywho, but to the point, yes, I think 'dark but shootable' would be appropriate.

webster
08-28-2017, 08:05 PM
The muzzle isn't pitted. It's actually quite good, likely owing to being permanently surrounded by the break. The lands are clean but rounded, and the grooves are "dark" as I understand it now.

webster
08-28-2017, 08:10 PM

I should have specified Soviet autoloader when I mentioned accuracy. About 4 MOA with surplus ammo, which is good enough for me.

I do know what mint means in that sense, I just thought that minty might mean not quite frosty, but getting there. Like cool and refreshing. :tounge:

Swampdonkey
08-29-2017, 01:51 AM
Boring!

Bad pun, I know.

MarkR
12-10-2017, 02:16 PM
I should have specified Soviet autoloader when I mentioned accuracy. About 4 MOA with surplus ammo, which is good enough for me.

I do know what mint means in that sense, I just thought that minty might mean not quite frosty, but getting there. Like cool and refreshing. :tounge:

Minty = used, but shiny and very strong rifling.

This bore (good photos BTW) would be strong rifling, dark with light pitting... my opinion.

I too would shoot the hell out of it, and would wager that it would shoot quite well.