PDA

View Full Version : Bottoms out on vertical adjustment.

Spence
08-28-2017, 11:09 AM
My cheap Bushnell Sportsview 4X 15mm bottoms out on vertical adjustment. I mounted it on my Savage .22 and now I'm sighting in. I am adjusting the knob the reverse of UP which gave me a path of impacts in the direction I wanted(down). I'm trying to bring my POI down 10inches to bullseye. It adjusted to a certain extent, now the knob just spins freely. I thought I did something wrong so I turned two full turns in the direction of UP and that turned the impact in the opposite direction. Distance to target is 120ft.

The horiz adjust works fine and I have lined up OK. Should I buy a better scope? Which ones come out of the box ring adjusted?. I don't want to line up the scope. I'll be happy if the scope gives me good magnification in under 200ft. I'll never use a .22 greater than this distance. I'm tempted to put a .5mm shim under the forward scope ring, which should give me the added travel I want downward.

Thanks for the help.

9x19p
08-28-2017, 11:19 AM
What distance are you zeroing?
Is there a chance you haven't adjusted far enough in the "wrong" direction yet?

Think center line, sight over bore, and all that good stuff.

Keep adjusting in the wrong direction and see what happens.

Everydayshooter
08-28-2017, 11:25 AM
I had a bushnell 6-18x50 and when sighting it in I ran out of UP adjustment. I was 6 inches too low at 100 yards. I sent it in to get looked at and they came back saying it was defective. They later sent me a new one. Could send it in to get checked.

blacksmithden
08-28-2017, 11:38 AM
Elevation adjustment....just sayin.... :)

Spence
08-28-2017, 11:51 AM
What distance are you zeroing?
Is there a chance you haven't adjusted far enough in the "wrong" direction yet?

Think center line, sight over bore, and all that good stuff.

Keep adjusting in the wrong direction and see what happens.

According to Bushnell, Up means bring the forward lens down, which in turn brings the muzzle up, which brings the POI upward. So my opposite direction was right, just ran out of travel. I'm new to this stuff so I'm at a loss.

Actually with the number of rounds I expended so far, my wife had a good idea. Sit out at 50', fire, adjust. Sit out at 75',fire, adjust again, and so forth. The advantages is you can never go off target and you expend no more ammo than doing it all at a distance, and you end up scope sighted. Smart aleck Lady. :Argue: ;D

Spence
08-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Yeah, looks like I'm better off with the better scopes. If sighting a squirrel at 200 ft I should have at least a 50 inch view for safety.

Strewth
08-28-2017, 12:10 PM
So...you're 10 inches high at 60 meters? That's...let's see....carry the one...14.5 MOA? Have you used the scope/rings/bases on another rifle? Can you measure the rings to see if they're the same height? Can you do a "box test" at closer range to see if the scope tracks fairly true?
Is the stock pushing on the barrel?
For me, it's a .22, I'd just shim the base or the rings with slices of pop can and carry on.

I've got a Savage .22 that shoots 12" high at 25 yards with the iron sights that I keep meaning to attack with a file, maybe if we squish the two rifles together we'll end up with one that shoots POA:)

Rory McCanuck
08-28-2017, 01:25 PM
My first thought would be that the scope isn't mounted properly.
One of the bases must be cocked, or the scope isn't sitting down right tight in the bottom of the rings.
Loosening all of the screws and wiggling everything until it is all properly settled might be of some benefit.

And yes, sight in close to get on paper, and move the target out once it's centered.
For right up close, have it shoot an inch or so low, because the scope sits up above the barrel.
Out at distance, the bullets will land closer to the bullseye.