PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to Gun Safes in Canada

Calibre
08-28-2017, 01:31 PM
http://calibremag.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/0N2A2275-749x400.jpg

So, every year I go to Ontario and tour some of the places out there... shops, manufacturers, distributors, etc. I set up an appointment last year with this company called Canadian Safe Manufacturing, and I honestly though I'd show up to see a shop re-branding Chinese made safes, because I couldn't figure out how these guys could be legitimately building security gun safes in Canada for less than you can get an offshore safe.

I was suitably impressed by their setup though, and blown away when I saw their stuff; it turns out they're a tiny family-run company that makes most of their money selling very, very well built safes to pharmacies. Then, the OPP bought some narcotics safes off them, and were suitably impressed with the product... impressed enough to custom order some gun safes from them when they needed new firearm storage systems. So, the company thought they may as well put some gun safes on the consumer market, too.

Overall, the tour of their shop was a sort of crash course on gun safes. I thought it was super interesting because I learned that safe manufacturing is one of the few areas where shipping drastically increases the price, so finding a local manufacturer with a nearby steel source (cough *hamilton* cough) can still net savings over an offshore safe made with shitty offshore steel. Since I geek out hard on Canadian manufacturing, I thought that was pretty cool.

http://calibremag.ca/gun-safes-in-canada/

Dewey Cox
08-28-2017, 03:02 PM
If I want shitty offshore steer, I'll get a burger from mcdonalds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calibre
08-28-2017, 03:09 PM
Point taken.

firemachine69
08-28-2017, 03:59 PM
I enjoyed the article immensely. Thanks!

craigdwh
08-28-2017, 07:48 PM
Great post and great timing, I'm in the market for a good safe, I'll check them out.

Dewey Cox
08-28-2017, 08:13 PM
Now that you corrected your spelling mistake, it makes my last post sound insane.

Calibre
08-29-2017, 08:07 AM
Now that you corrected your spelling mistake, it makes my last post sound insane.

What spelling mistake?

:D