PDA

View Full Version : Nakusp to Vernon

Run 'n' Gun
08-29-2017, 11:46 AM
Anyone driven the #6 from Nakusp to Vernon before? Just wondering on the road quality, traffic, etc. Planning a 2300km cruse for next summer, it's one road we haven't tried yet.

Thanks.

BCGUY12
08-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Anyone driven the #6 from Nakusp to Vernon before? Just wondering on the road quality, traffic, etc. Planning a 2300km cruse for next summer, it's one road we haven't tried yet.

Thanks.

Haven't been on this road for years but I think a friend has so will ask, but it would help to know what type of vehicle you would be travelling with? car? 4x4? motorcycles? Note that there were a lot of washouts in this area this spring and many of them have just been given temporary fixes so even some otherwise good roads are still very rough in some spots. With the number of washouts and the fires, road maintenance has been slow. Might be all fixed by next summer but if you are in a car make sure you get very current info before your trip.

Run 'n' Gun
08-29-2017, 12:12 PM
So far we have a couple of newer Camaro, a couple of vette's and a 911

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

DanN
08-29-2017, 01:45 PM
Where will the rest of the cruise take you? Maybe I better finish my car...

Run 'n' Gun
08-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Meet up around Franks Slide, then to Creston (sleep), then Castlegar, up to Nakusp, across to Kelowna, and down to Penticton for the car show (3 days), then back to Cranbrook, up to Radium (sleep), Banff, back home.

2300-2400KM, 7 days, many carbons emitted and rum consumed.

As long as the damn fires don't close highways again.

We did a Penticton/Kelowna run a couple of weeks ago, beautiful drive. Not like the flat lander crap we have.

DanN
08-29-2017, 03:21 PM
Funny enough, the car I'm building (resto-mod) came from the Frank Slide; that would be a fitting maiden voyage. Better get my bolts together.

Run 'n' Gun
08-29-2017, 03:31 PM
Plan is late June, once we get close to booking rooms I can fill in some blanks if you're interested

762shooter
08-29-2017, 03:54 PM
I've ridden it on motorcyle as well as driven it in a car within the last year. The road is fine, its a nice drive.

There are a few tight hairpins to be on the lookout for. You can get stuck behind a slow driver with no opportunity to pass in a few places.

Run 'n' Gun
08-29-2017, 04:59 PM
I've ridden it on motorcyle as well as driven it in a car within the last year. The road is fine, its a nice drive.

There are a few tight hairpins to be on the lookout for. You can get stuck behind a slow driver with no opportunity to pass in a few places.Thanks, we try to keep a "it's not a race" mentality for the trip. Getting stuck just means smoke breaks for the smokers

Lee Enfield
08-29-2017, 08:48 PM
I did it in both directions less than a month ago, will do it again early Sept,

Nice drive, lots of corners thru the mountains west of Arrow Lake, fun drive and rarely a cop but I got a ticket the other day, let me off cheap.

You will enjoy it, I would do the drive over the Salmo Creston to Nelson, then up to Kaslo then west to New Denver then north to Nakusp and then south to the ferry and then to Vernon.

Run 'n' Gun
08-30-2017, 07:48 AM
I did it in both directions less than a month ago, will do it again early Sept,

Nice drive, lots of corners thru the mountains west of Arrow Lake, fun drive and rarely a cop but I got a ticket the other day, let me off cheap.

You will enjoy it, I would do the drive over the Salmo Creston to Nelson, then up to Kaslo then west to New Denver then north to Nakusp and then south to the ferry and then to Vernon.

Thanks, we'll have a look at the lake route.

Lee Enfield
08-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Thanks, we'll have a look at the lake route.

If you don't want to take the Salmo/Creston pass you can go straight north from Creston and take the ferry across the lake, turn right and then up to Kaslo left to New Denver etc.

Nice ferry ride, not too long but the drive up from Creston is nice. You will go by the 'glass house', a old place built out of embalming bottles many decades ago.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g154922-d1554353-Reviews-Glass_Bottle_House-British_Columbia.html

If you make the trip I live in Vernon so let me know and we can meet.

Run 'n' Gun
08-30-2017, 05:13 PM
If you don't want to take the Salmo/Creston pass you can go straight north from Creston and take the ferry across the lake, turn right and then up to Kaslo left to New Denver etc.

Nice ferry ride, not too long but the drive up from Creston is nice. You will go by the 'glass house', a old place built out of embalming bottles many decades ago.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g154922-d1554353-Reviews-Glass_Bottle_House-British_Columbia.html

If you make the trip I live in Vernon so let me know and we can meet.One year I let the wife drive on the way home, ended up in Nelson, took the ferry across and down to Creston, but it was already dark so we could barely see the road. A lot of twisty bits that way as well.

Drillbit
09-11-2017, 12:45 AM
Great pro-touring run thru the monashees.

See lots of nice cars roll thru Lumby.

It's a nice drive.