PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on first Gun Safe purchase

Xeelee
10-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Need help with safe purchase

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to purchase my first gun safe. I live in an apartment so I'm limited by space. I have 7 Long guns (most scoped and a few handguns)...decided that 500 lbs was about as heavy as I can go. My budget is $1200. I have narrowed it down to two choices but can't make up my mind on which one so I'd like to pic your brains to help me decide (One is fire rated for 50 minutes the other is NOT fire-lined)...thanks in advance!

Option 1:

Rhino 56 Series Gun Safe: 20 Gun Safe
Made in the USA
10 Guage steel
50-minute fire test exposed to maximum temperatures of 1200
Exterior: 56"H x 27"W x 18"D
Interior: 51.75"H x 23.5"W x 15"D
Rifle Capacity: 20
Weight: 540 lbs.
Cubic Feet: 16
$1200
http://www.gunsafes.com/Rhino-Series...-Gun-Safe.html

Option 2:

Sturdy Gunsafe Model 2419
Made in the USA
7 Guage steel
Non-fire lined
Exterior: 24"W x 19"D x 60"H
Cubic Feet: 15.5
Weight: 520 lbs.
$1240
http://www.sturdysafe.com/model2419.htm

JustBen
10-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Fire proof is nice, but not a requirement. Insurance will replace everything except the rare ones or the ones that are special to you. The fire safe does have the benefit that you can store papers in it and they should survive.

Consider a model of safe in which you can remove the door. It gets your weight down significantly for moving, but it will take two trips.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either model you've suggested.

jrcbecher
10-05-2012, 11:51 AM
If there is a top shelf make sure you have enough room for 30 inch duck guns or a cut out to let long barrel go behind the shelf and leave room for your hand guns also look into some hand gun cradles they safe a lot of room .I would go with the fire proof safe even though made of lighter gauge metal it doubles your protection from a multiple of threats.

Garetsu
10-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Wow. Haha, your requirements for a first gun safe were a little higher then mine!

I dropped $130 on a Stack-on 8-gun cabinet on sale at Le Baron. :-P

riderrick
10-05-2012, 05:07 PM
spent 2k on a 750lb safe....figured i was puttin 10k worth restricteds and half that in non restricted why go cheap

lone-wolf
10-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Wow. Haha, your requirements for a first gun safe were a little higher then mine!

Mine was a custom made oak(i think) one. $150, used. Some scuffs, but nothing that bugs me. I like seeing my guns, I guess it's a cabinet, not a safe?

Xeelee
10-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Haha..well I have been saving for a bit! Truthfully though I live in a building with a nosy Landlord. Plus It's a new building and as such there are always people needing access to my suite...even when I'm not home. For now I have put a keylock on my storage room and keep everything locked in there but there's probably 10K worth of firearms in there so I want to make sure is as protected as I can afford.

Camo tung
10-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I went with the Stack-on 24 gun models. Sturdy construction, MUCH less $$ that what you're budgeting for. I have yet to see a manufacturer that rates their safes for "xx" number of guns that will actually fit that number without some contact.

RobSmith
10-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Costco sells a pretty good safe for 500$ or so. The keypad will conk out in about a year but then yank the batteries out so the beep beep beep ceases and use the key.

kingdarb
10-17-2012, 10:12 AM
The sturdy safes sure are nice.

Also: It really is worth looking at the used market. Check kijiji on any given day and usually for around 500 bucks you can get a used safe that weighs over 500 lbs that will hold rifles. These usually aren't "gun safes", but instead are much heavier commercial type safes that people are selling for a song. A bit of work outfitting the inside and you will have a much better safe than most commercial "gun safes".

westislandrifle
10-17-2012, 10:15 AM
get one that is affordable, secure and wont warp your floor boards and take a small army to move and try and avoid keys cobo is the way to go

ssea77ca
10-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Go for the firesafe .

lightspeed
10-17-2012, 05:12 PM
I have a Browning Prosteel Limited from Al Falherty's - very happy with it. Go bigger than what you need now because you'll grow into it, that's almost a given.

Grizz
10-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Not sure where you are located but I recently purchased a Red head Midbody for about 1000 from Bass Pro. After some pre-sale research I found out that some of the Red Head safes, like the one I got, are actually made by Browning for a fraction of the price. I was also able to get it integrated with the Browning door system where I am able to store an additional 7 long guns on the door and 5 pistols in custom pockets. In addition, for 100 extra dollars, I had the lock upgraded to a Seargent and Greenleaf digital keypad with a biometric system!! In addition to my pin number, if you do not have my thumb print you don't get in. If someone tries three times and fails, it shuts the entire system down and won't open for 5 hours. You can also program it to require 2 pin numbers or set a specific time it is allowed to open. This will disable the safe while you are at work but will function when you are at home depending on how your schedule works.

JustBen
10-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Not sure where you are located but I recently purchased a Red head Midbody for about 1000 from Bass Pro. After some pre-sale research I found out that some of the Red Head safes, like the one I got, are actually made by Browning for a fraction of the price. I was also able to get it integrated with the Browning door system where I am able to store an additional 7 long guns on the door and 5 pistols in custom pockets. In addition, for 100 extra dollars, I had the lock upgraded to a Seargent and Greenleaf digital keypad with a biometric system!! In addition to my pin number, if you do not have my thumb print you don't get in. If someone tries three times and fails, it shuts the entire system down and won't open for 5 hours. You can also program it to require 2 pin numbers or set a specific time it is allowed to open. This will disable the safe while you are at work but will function when you are at home depending on how your schedule works.

That's exactly what I need for my next safe!

RELOAD
12-28-2012, 07:14 PM
3 YEARS AGO I GOT THE 36 GUN SENTRY SAFE GOT IT FOR THE FIRE RATING NOT BAD FOR A CHEAP SAFE 1100 DOLLARS FROM COSTCO MADE AMMO CABINETS FROM THE 2 STICK ON 8 GUN CABINETS I HAVE BY PUTTING SHEVLES INSIDE WORKS GOOD AND IT IS LOCKABLE

Blindeyes
12-30-2012, 01:17 AM
I got a nice stack on total defence 36 gun safe.supposed to be $1899 i got it on sale for $899. Digital keypad and additional door storage included.

Grain
12-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Costco sells a pretty good safe for 500$ or so. The keypad will conk out in about a year but then yank the batteries out so the beep beep beep ceases and use the key.

I hope that's not a given, I love the keypad.

BuckingFastard
12-30-2012, 07:12 PM
I got a nice stack on total defence 36 gun safe.supposed to be $1899 i got it on sale for $899. Digital keypad and additional door storage included.

There great safes for the money if gotten while on sale, reg 1499 and on for 899. I got two of these for Christmas and really happy with them.

I'd go with rhino personally between those two, just for the fire rating.

df1eye
12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Always buy at least 2X the size you think your going to need. Most everyone I've ever talked to has uttered the infamous line " I wish I had bought something bigger". The rest of them are already on there second or third upgrade/upsize. If you think it was a "pain" moving it in the first time, wait till you have to move it back out and haul in a bigger/second one a few years from now. Just saying

Satain
12-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Oh ya never froget about Costco!
They got some cool ones that go on sale now and then for good prices and good quialty too ;)

freshlybaked123
01-02-2013, 02:21 PM

Same here , my first was a Stack - on from Canadian Tire. I think I paid $100 for mine on sale. I am not a collector and only have a few rifles but bang for my buck it does the trick