PDA

View Full Version : Scope Lens Cap Questions

neos
09-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Hi all. So as a relative newcomer to the whole scope thing on my rimfire, I have 2 silly little questions regarding my scope, and possibly other scopes as well. I am almost positive it is not a manufacturer specific thing, but will mention my scope anyways. It is a Tasco 4x rimfire rifle scope that came with my rifle package. So, the questions are as follows:

1. Is there any particular reason that the scope caps that come with the scope have one yellow lens on one, and a clear lens on the other?

2. Is there a proper direction/orientation for each color. ie. yellow lens on objective, clear on focal, or vise versa? If there is not a 'proper' way, and you have the same caps, which way do you prefer?

Thank you.

p.s. this is cross posted so if you see this elsewhere, please disregard.

linung
09-23-2017, 05:35 PM
I always thought it was tinted so you know it is on and don't try to shoot with it on.

:Bang head:

lone-wolf
09-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Just a cheap way to reduce glare I guess.
I would consider the proper way of using them is to toss them in the trash :p

DBenn
09-23-2017, 06:42 PM
The yellow is supposed to help with contrast. I didn't notice any difference but then I wear glasses to see anyway.
I just put them on to keep dust off the scope lens while transporting or in the case.

linung
09-23-2017, 06:46 PM
I just put them on to keep dust off the scope lens while transporting or in the case.

That's what I thought they were for.

:canada:

neos
09-23-2017, 07:23 PM
Thank you for the replies.

Swampdonkey
09-23-2017, 08:58 PM
Tinting is for glare and contrast, same reason we have amber signal lights, red lights at night in submarines, and blue/purple is avoided except by "heroes" in their modified sake burners. Soft end of the spectrum allows clearer definition.

It'll be more apparent as you age, sorry to say.

blacksmithden
09-23-2017, 11:05 PM
Years ago, everybody just HAD to get a pair of yellow shooting glasses...I think it was late 70's early 80's when they were all the rage. They did everything short of give you x-ray vision. Supposed to reduce glare and brighten everything up. All they ever did for me was make yellow things look white and made the rest of the world look yellow. It's a carry over from that. I'm colour blind, so I might not be the best guy to ask about the effectiveness. Every eye works slightly differently due to color perception being different. They might be a miracle to some, and junk to others. To me, they're scope caps to keep dirt and water/snow off the scope lenses and nothing more.

neos
09-24-2017, 12:14 AM
Again, many thanks. As it is on a cheap rimfire scope, I will more than likely just keep them on for storage and transport. As well, I am mainly target shooting as well.

lone-wolf
09-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Years ago, everybody just HAD to get a pair of yellow shooting glasses...I think it was late 70's early 80's when they were all the rage.

Years ago is 2008 or maybe 2011, you're talking decades ago! Before I was even born! Almost half a century ago...

labradort
09-24-2017, 03:34 PM
I used to downhill ski. Yellow lenses help with the contrast when it is dim and overcast outside. For skiers it was critical to be able to see the shape of the snow and any bumps that would be hidden without amber. It was a trend for awhile with driving glasses. I've yet to encounter a situation like it, but I can imagine it helps to bring out contrast in overcast and dimly lit environment, so it might show game better against a background where it might blend in on a dim day.

lone-wolf
09-24-2017, 03:58 PM

I consider that the main purpose, being see through was so you can make a half arsed shot if you forgot them on.

DBenn
09-24-2017, 09:31 PM
I consider that the main purpose, being see through was so you can make a half arsed shot if you forgot them on.

hehe your right and I have shot with them on and didn't seem to notice anything different other than the yellow.

Fasteddie01
02-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Sorry to bump this over a year later, but in case anyone refers to this thread, Labradort is correct. Contrast is improved. The other comments are BS. https://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/benefits-of-copper-orange-amberyellow-brownbronze-lens-tints/