PDA

View Full Version : RIGID propane heater

SIR VEYOR
09-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the RIGID propane heater? $200ish at Home Depot

Uses a battery or extension cord for ignition, and propane for heat.

Price point doesn't seem bad, but if you don't already run Rigid stuff, is it pricey to get chargers, batts, etc?

But, for portable heat especially without needing a genny, it's interesting. I wouldn't expect Herman Nelson performance, but under a machine, unheated garage, ice shack, etc this seems to have potential.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.18-volt-hybrid-forced-air-heater-tool-only.1001050501.html

lone-wolf
09-23-2017, 12:17 PM
12hrs of low heat from a 20lbs tank and only 7 hours of continuous fan runtime with 5Ah battery(2 pack of which are $170)

That seems expensive to me. I'd look into it more since I use rigid tools and the batteries could be used by me year round, I'd hate to have $200 batteries sitting around half the year unused.

blacksmithden
09-23-2017, 01:26 PM
I bought a Rigid drill....damned expensive.....about 6 years ago. The first battery crapped out after a month. The second after 3 months. Warranty or not, I learned all I needed to know about anything Rigid involving a battery or charger. I dont need a world class warranty. I need shit that works when I need it.......just saying....Been using the same Dewalt drill, impact driver, and batteries ever since.

Dewey Cox
09-23-2017, 01:31 PM
If you want unvented propane heat, just use one of those tank top sunflowers. No power required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lone-wolf
09-23-2017, 01:44 PM
If you want unvented propane heat, just use one of those tank top sunflowers. No power required.

I was going to say that's all my father uses in his boat, but I thought calling it a sunflower would sound dumb!

Rory McCanuck
09-23-2017, 01:47 PM
I picked up one of those old Coleman dome heaters, I haven't seen one since I was a kid.
Something like this, but red.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/066/0/8771224/il_570xN.773164347_qkn6.jpg

I'd forgotten just how much heat comes off of one.

What kind of space are you trying to heat?

kennymo
09-23-2017, 08:47 PM
^^ Buddy's dad has that exact one. She gets pretty warm in the fish shack....

I run Makita, but it seems to me Lithium Ion batteries hate the cold. Might be something to consider.... I've got a corded Mr Heater unit around the same size, gets the uninsulated garage warm enough to work in....

blacksmithden
09-23-2017, 09:18 PM
Ive still got one of those Coleman tent heaters in my camping gear at my dads place. Do NOT roll over on them or let anything touch them. Sleeping bags melt...legs burn....towels get scorched.....but they do warm a small space well.

SpenceyHR
09-24-2017, 01:29 AM
^^ Buddy's dad has that exact one. She gets pretty warm in the fish shack....

I run Makita, but it seems to me Lithium Ion batteries hate the cold. Might be something to consider.... I've got a corded Mr Heater unit around the same size, gets the uninsulated garage warm enough to work in....

Fact. I know guys that tried to stick with NiCa batteries for that exact reason.

SIR VEYOR
09-24-2017, 05:45 AM

They don't seem to move the heat much, more of a hot lamp effect and maybe not as user friendly as I'm looking for.

SIR VEYOR
09-24-2017, 05:46 AM
Ive still got one of those Coleman tent heaters in my camping gear at my dads place. Do NOT roll over on them or let anything touch them. Sleeping bags melt...legs burn....towels get scorched.....but they do warm a small space well.

And this is part of why the battery operated and quasi safety features have some appeal...

SIR VEYOR
09-24-2017, 05:48 AM

Well, as it's generating heat, I thought I could discount that, outside of transport time.

And I was thinking a salamander or Mr Heater. The battery option seemed to offer a little more flexibility, eliminates a generator occasionally, simpler setup, pull battery it's off, etc.

And I wasn't sure on the brand. Mostly Dewalt, Mikita, Hilti, I'm familiar with. Was hoping other brands batteries could swap.

LB303
09-24-2017, 07:59 AM
All I know from personal experience is from using Ridgid pipe cutting tools years ago. Good stuff, made in Ohio.
These days the parent company Emerson may be outsourcing the manufacturing to, shall we say less QC-oriented environs?
Caveat emptor certainly applies. And imagine if all the tool manufacturers agreed on a standard form factor for batteries...

Dewey Cox
09-24-2017, 09:18 AM
Ridgid pipe tools and ridgid power tools are not the same animal.
It's always amazed me that ridgid would risk their name (which is held in the highest regard) by putting it on a line of mediocre power tools.

lone-wolf
09-24-2017, 10:54 AM
I'm quite happy with my rigid drill & impact.

Lithium AA batteries are a must for cold weather, I would of assumed the power tool batteries would be the same.

Stew
09-24-2017, 11:07 AM
wood stove places sell heat powered fans, I have one on top of my kerosene heater, works great