PDA

View Full Version : The official GOC jerky recipes thread - post em up !

blacksmithden
10-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Smoker

Ok...here's how to play. Right up in the top left corner, put either the word "Smoker" or "Dehydrator" or "Oven". That way, if somebody is looking for a recipe for a particular method, they can scan through quickly if this thread actually gets long.

It's hunting season, so it's time to make up a big batch of the other "food of the gods". :D
I'm trying a new recipe today.

3 Cups of soya sauce
1 Cup of Worcestershire sauce
6 Teaspoons of Louisianna hot sauce
6 Teaspoons of garlic powder
3 Teaspoons of onion salt
3 Teaspoons of ground black pepper
3 Cups of brown sugar
6 Inside round steaks cut into 1/4" (ish) strips

Take a large stainless steel bowl and mix up your marinade ingredients and put in the steak strips.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 18 - 20 hours (give or take a bit)
Lay strips out on jerky screens in your smoker and set the smoker to 140 deg F
.....I'll get back to you with the exact "cooking" time/proceedure once it's done.

Edit: Ok...it took 7 hours total, and I opened the smoker 3 times to rotate the racks so I got even drying. As noted in post number 3, don't soak your wood chips, and you might have to crank up the heat for 20 or 30 minutes to get the chips to smoke since the drying temperature might not be high enough to get the element to stay on long enough to heat them up.

Finished product is DELICIOUS !!!! :D This recipe gets the blacksmithden stamp of approval.

So....what do you guys have for other recipes ?

jonanddad
10-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Smoker/Dehydrator

I used Superbrads recipe as a base and just changed afrew things around

Ingredients

4 pounds beef round steak, cut into thin strips
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons liquid smoke ( Not needed if used in a smoker)
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoon meat tenderizer
3 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon onion powder
3 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions

1.Place beef strips in large ziplock freezer bag. Pour soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke (if needed), brown sugar, salt, pepper, meat tenderizer, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper over beef. Mix to assure all the meat is evenly coated. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.

2.Arrange the meat strips on the tray of a dehydrator and dry at your dehydrator's highest setting until done to your liking, at least 4 hours. Store in an airtight container or resealable bags. If you don't have a dehydrator cook directly on oven rack at 160 degrees until done... meat should feel leathery and be pliable, use a cookie sheet on the rack below to catch any drippings. For the smoker, its 140F for about 6 hours.

blacksmithden
10-14-2012, 12:40 PM
3 hrs so far. I just checked the wood chips, and they didn't burn. I guess I shouldn't have soaked them before putting them in. The smoker reached temperature before the element started cycling on and off to just maintain the temperature at 140F. I left the door open for a few minutes to cool it off and bumped the temp up to 195F for about 20 minutes to get the chips to smoke (it worked). I also rotated the racks to make everything come out even. I'll check it again in a few hours.