PDA

View Full Version : ASC 10 Round LAR-15 Pistol Mags in Stock

Marshall
12-02-2017, 10:39 PM
We have 10rd LAR-15 pistol Mags in stock in BC ready to Ship. These are 30 round bodies factory blocked to 10 rounds made for the LAR-15 Pistol.
https://www.aztecharmory.com/ammunition-storage-components-lar15-pistol-magazine-stainless-steel-10rd30-p-41021.html

Mark-II
12-03-2017, 11:13 AM
They don't by chance make a 20 round body at all?

Marshall
12-03-2017, 11:54 AM
We only have the 30rd bodies for now. How many 20rd ones would you want?... and does anyone else want 20rd ones? We can get them on order for the Feb shipment.

Mark-II
12-03-2017, 09:51 PM
My needs are small. It'd amount to 2 or 3, so unless there's general interest, it's probably not worth your while.

ponymusic
12-04-2017, 09:21 PM
They don't by chance make a 20 round body at all?

We only have the 30rd bodies for now. How many 20rd ones would you want?... and does anyone else want 20rd ones? We can get them on order for the Feb shipment.

Price on the twenty round mags?

Lee Enfield
12-04-2017, 10:06 PM
Tagged

W35
12-05-2017, 08:22 AM
I would be interested in 10/20 mags

Marshall
12-05-2017, 02:33 PM
I'll see if we can get them to make some 10/20 ones for us on the next cycle. I think the price will be the same as the 10/30, or possibly a buck or two less. I'll update here once I know more.

Booletsnotreactwell
12-06-2017, 02:05 AM
I always thought there was some kind of legal issue with having LAR-10 mags with full 10rd bodies. Something like how the originals got approved in only 10rd bodies, and 10/30 mags are considered a "modified" 30rd mag and not a 10rd "pistol" LAR mag. I know it sounds stupid but I've seen the idea repeated enough that I always thought 10/30rds wasn't legal. There were a few companies in the past that did it and they were getting called out for it, it probably didn't help that they were pretty sketchy overall.

Thoughts?

Mark-II
12-06-2017, 07:32 AM
It does seem naughty

And there seems to be some confusion from customs as to whether or not they be allowed in, if you follow the thread elsewhere about similar mags being shipped by an Israeli dealer.

But then we also have 10/10 round pistol (in the handgun sense) mags, and 10/18 or 10/30 ones, etc, so.....

Marshall
12-06-2017, 11:42 AM
I always thought there was some kind of legal issue with having LAR-10 mags with full 10rd bodies. Something like how the originals got approved in only 10rd bodies, and 10/30 mags are considered a "modified" 30rd mag and not a 10rd "pistol" LAR mag. I know it sounds stupid but I've seen the idea repeated enough that I always thought 10/30rds wasn't legal. There were a few companies in the past that did it and they were getting called out for it, it probably didn't help that they were pretty sketchy overall.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the insight... from what I was told, if the mags are "made for" the LAR-15 then they are allowable. These mags come from the ASC factory and have not been modified in any way. That said, we definitely do not want to be in contravention of any rules, not matter how senseless they may seem. Have you seen anything in writing that supports your thoughts?

ponymusic
12-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the insight... from what I was told, if the mags are "made for" the LAR-15 then they are allowable. These mags come from the ASC factory and have not been modified in any way. That said, we definitely do not want to be in contravention of any rules, not matter how senseless they may seem. Have you seen anything in writing that supports your thoughts?

I'm sure you are familiar with this Marshall, but here it is anyway:

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=5318&stc=1
It would appear to me, as a layman, that these ASC magazines meet the pistol requirements.

Booletsnotreactwell
12-07-2017, 02:17 AM
Have you seen anything in writing that supports your thoughts?

No I don't, and that's sort of part of the issue. I don't mean to discourage you and your business endeavors but it's one of those things that's a real grey area. Nobody really knows what a "LAR-15" mag is, is it any .223/556 mag stamped "for use in pistols", is there a special modification (because if I take a set of calipers to a legit LAR-15 mag and any other GI mag it's the same), is it because they left the factory with those markings on them and that in itself means it was designed for a pistol, nobody really knows for sure.

The only real for sure thing is that the originals that were approved and the only ones that have any formal documentation issued by the RCMP are the ASC and C-Products manufactured "LAR-15" mags that come in a standard GI style 10rd body, the ones the Questar business originally had a hand in importing/getting approved. Everybody else has basically been piggy backing off that since.

The idea of 10/30's has come up a lot in the community over many years, every time I've seen it the idea gets shot down with a bunch of internet know it alls claiming it wouldn't be allowed because then it would just be considered a "modified" magazine and not a purpose built "pistol magazine". I know, makes no sense but neither do our laws.

This was also before the RCMP came about with their "dual use" ruling, the dual use thing is actually a new "standard" so to speak they have completely invented and are now using. You can't find it anywhere in the official Firearms Act yet they've used the term in a few official publications. One that comes to mind was when a company called Northern Republic Magazine was trying to import E-Lander made 5/30 .50 cal Beowulf magazines. Apparently they were denied because the magazines were "dual use" in that they were simply adapted from an original 30rd .223/556 magazine and not built from the ground up as a .50 Beowulf magazine. I mean if you think about it, even LAR-15 mags in .223 are adopted in design from normal 30rd mags, so that's hypocritical to their previous rulings in a way. I also remember them saying that the magazines in current configuration could take multiple calibers thus they were dual use, this was about a year or so after the cat was out of the hat on the .50 cal mags and word got to the RCMP that guys were buying them to legally stuff 15 .223 rds in. That is also contrary to one of their previous publications they recently took down claiming that whatever caliber anybody stuffs into any magazine that's different from what that magazine was intended to take is irrelevant to it's legal capacity restriction.

I feel like if 10/30's were allowed somebody would have done it by now, I know that doesn't help but that's also been one of my indications as to why there was somehow an issue with them.

Historically 10/30's have never really been commonly available, a handful of businesses like really sketchy looking businesses with text only websites have offered them. Never really heard back and chances are the guys that bought them, if they weren't scammed never showed them in public.

Marshall
12-07-2017, 06:04 PM
I still can't find any reference in the Firearms Act, the Criminal Code or any of the Special Bulletins that indicates that these mags need to be in 10 round bodies only. Again, they are not modified. They are factory mags made for the LAR-15. Also, they are not "dual caliber". They are designed to hold 10 rounds of 5.56x45 ammo only.
The reference to "GI style 10rd body" is questionable as well. To my knowledge the US Government has never issued a 10 round M16 magazine so if we are using the GI standard they would need to either 20 or 30 round bodies.

Marshall
12-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Also, Special Bulletin #72 is still the standard for use of a magazine in a firearm other that what it was designed for. This is, as mentioned, contradictory to the new "dual use" term which our friend Mr. Smith has come up with which requires the .50 Beowulf mags to be blocked to 5rds of 5.56. Even though there is no actual law, CBSA will not allow them to be imported unless they are blocked to 5.56. This includes the Poly80 Beowulf mags which are in fact designed to feed only .50 BW ammo.

To say that it is all ridiculous would be a major understatement, but it is the world we live in... for now... simple solution... Vote!!

DILLIGAF
12-07-2017, 11:48 PM
hey can you bring in the new HEXMAG 10/30 Round Pistol Carbine Magazine please :-) they other dealer is allready sold out.

Got to try them a few weeks ago and they run awesome . Id grab 12 off the bat :bananna:

https://www.bartonsbigcountry.ca/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/p/i/pistolcarbine.jpg

ponymusic
12-08-2017, 12:08 AM
https://www.aztecharmory.com/556x45-223-c-582_147.html?filter_id=47010&sort=2a

DILLIGAF
12-08-2017, 12:13 AM
https://www.aztecharmory.com/556x45-223-c-582_147.html?filter_id=47010&sort=2a

I dont see any specific HEX pistol mags on there.

ponymusic
12-08-2017, 09:21 AM
I dont see any specific HEX pistol mags on there.

You are correct, my apologies I posted too quick.

Take care.

Marshall
12-10-2017, 12:02 PM
hey can you bring in the new HEXMAG 10/30 Round Pistol Carbine Magazine please :-) they other dealer is allready sold out.

Got to try them a few weeks ago and they run awesome . Id grab 12 off the bat :bananna:

https://www.bartonsbigcountry.ca/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/p/i/pistolcarbine.jpg

These may have been an exclusive to another Canadian importer. I don't see them listed with any of our US suppliers and Hexmag doesn't have them on their site. I'll look into more and see what we can do.

Marshall
12-23-2017, 08:54 PM
No update on these Hex mags yet, but I'll follow up with them again after the New Year.

Marshall
02-05-2018, 09:39 PM
So the Hex Mags are a no go. They did an exclusive run for another Canadian dealer and I don't think they will be doing more

Paul_1982
02-06-2018, 12:21 AM
According to their website these seem to be designed for the AR-15 rifle, and remanufactured at your request for the LAR15 pistol. Unfortunately that means they should be pinned to 5.

Zahal just had similar mags deemed prohib (Elander mags stamped like yours) and Irunguns was just told the Hexmags are prohib too.

Be careful here.

Gunexpert007
02-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Tagged for interest .

ponymusic
02-06-2018, 07:46 PM
According to their website these seem to be designed for the AR-15 rifle, and remanufactured at your request for the LAR15 pistol (*). Unfortunately that means they should be pinned to 5.

Zahal just had similar mags deemed prohib (Elander mags stamped like yours) and Irunguns was just told the Hexmags are prohib too.

Be careful here.

Please be so kind as to post a link to this (*) information. Thank you.

Marshall
02-06-2018, 11:19 PM
According to their website these seem to be designed for the AR-15 rifle, and remanufactured at your request for the LAR15 pistol. Unfortunately that means they should be pinned to 5.

Be careful here.

As can be seen in photos in this thread the Hexmags were not properly marked, but I can't speak to the Elander ones, since I've not seen one. Maybe they were not marked correctly either.

According to the letter from the RCMP we have on file they need to be marked correctly and done so at the factory. These are manufactured by ASC as 10rd mags and marked at the factory appropriately according to said letter. Nowhere does it say they need to be in 10rd bodies.

As I've mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I've thoroughly reviewed the firearms act, the criminal code and all of the RCMP special bulletins for businesses and there is no reference to these mags anywhere. That said the RCMP is pretty good about informing us when they make new rules. For example, we have emails on file from them relating the the prohibition of the 80% AR lowers, the adoption of the SP1 standard, and the ruling on the 50 BW/458 mags needing to be limited to 5rds of 5.56, but nothing from them about these mags.

If anyone can provide something to demonstrate that an official determination has been made we would be very grateful.

Paul_1982
02-07-2018, 09:34 AM
This is from the original RCMP decision:

1. The Rock River Arms, LAR-15 Pistol qualifies as a "handgun, commonly available in Canada".

2. The cartridge magazine for this handgun as manufactured by C Products LLC has been deemed to be acceptable as a "handgun magazine" as it meets the following criterion:

a) It is designed and manufactured for use in a handgun commonly available in Canada and has a capacity of not more than ten cartridges of the kind or type for which the magazine was designed.

b) The cartridge magazine for this handgun as manufactured by C Products LLC is not an adaption of a magazine designed and manufactured for use in a semi-automatic rifle.

3. The design that has been found acceptable as a handgun magazine is held by the RCMP, Firearms Support Services, Firearms Reference Table Section as a "pattern". This particular design and NO other design is approved for use as a "handgun magazine for a handgun commonly available in Canada".

4. As an assist to identification, the cartridge magazines which have been deemed acceptable as a "a magazine for use in a handgun commonly available in Canada", bear the following identification markings on the body or magazine case, applied at the time of manufacture by the manufacturer:

RRA MODEL LAR-15 PISTOL MAGAZINE
223 REM/5.56 MM NATO - 10 ROUND CAPACITY

NOTE: - No other ten shot capacity magazines are deemed acceptable as "a magazine for use in a handgun commonly available in Canada" as of 2007-03-12.

https://shopquestar.com/shopping65/shopcontent.asp?type=Mag%20Ruling

There is a reason for 10 years not one magazine with a 30 round body has been widely used with 10 rounds for the LAR15.

Here is a link to Zahals mags: http://www.zahal.org/products/cpd-lar-15-pistol-magazine-10-round-canada-30-rounds?utm_source=canadiangunnutz.com&utm_medium=Picture&utm_campaign=2017%20September%20Special&utm_content=Product[/url]

They, too, were deemed prohibited. Big Bartons has what amounts to an appeal on the Hexmags with the RCMP right now, but I am not holding my breath.

Gunnie2018
06-10-2019, 08:48 PM
What is the situation with these mags? I'd like to order some but dont see any on the website.

Sabio
06-11-2019, 06:40 AM
Been quite a few 30 round body 10 round pistol mags around lately.
I never bought any as I thought only 10 round body was legal

lone-wolf
06-11-2019, 02:07 PM
I'd buy them but they're a bit too pricey