PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 795 drum magazines

blacksmithden
12-20-2017, 07:23 PM
I was going to test all off these before I posted anything, but what the hell. THEY'RE HERE !!!! Drum mags !!! These have a removable neck adapter on them. Right now, the only adapters we have are for the Marlin 795 (no handgun version of that, so they're legal). There are others planned for the future if there is a future for 22 drum mags. Yes, those are actual Marlin 795 magazines that are cast right into the necks, so there shouldn't be any feed issues.

Please read what follows carefully.

I've got exactly TWENTY of these right now. They're the only 20 that exist on the planet. They were made right here in good old Canada, by hand, one at a time. One is mine, and one is my partner Jon's. Who knows what's going to happen with magazine capacities when the liberals table their new bill in the new year. If they slap a broad limit on all 22 mags, any of these in my possession will be going though my band saw. If you own one, and they get banned, it's up to you what you do with them...as I am with all things that aren't hurting anyone, what anyone else does with their own property is none of my damned business. ;)

I'll accept "I want one" pre-orders, but I'm not accepting any money until I've run at least a hand full of rounds through each of them. Jon and I are going out on Saturday to test them. After that, they're on the market, and there won't be anymore until after what we see is in that libtard bill coming in the new year. Please do not add your name to the list if you aren't 100% sure you want one. As long as all goes well on Saturday, when we get back Saturday night, we'll contact everyone who got their name in for the 18 that are available.

With the Marlin 795 adapter on them, they hold 130 rounds...at least the one I counted did. There is no speed loader. These are similar to the GSG ones where you move the rotor wheel with your thumb and drop the rounds in one at a time. The spring in them is plenty strong, so expect to have sore thumbs after shooting off a few of these. They can NOT be taken apart to be cleaned. They have install only screws holding the drum portion together. Opening one up will result in a very bad case of "spring in face" disease, so just don't mess with it.

They're $250 each, tax in + $20 shipping to the provinces if required. Remote areas may be a little more. EMT or cash. AGAIN...DO NOT SEND ME MONEY until we've tested them. I'll give a range report and video once we're back Saturday night.

https://i.imgur.com/FKdpvYM.jpg

blacksmithden
12-20-2017, 07:43 PM
A couple more pics

https://i.imgur.com/q6yoKQz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1SmbpLv.jpg

Deuce-deuce
12-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Cool... very cool.

No I need a 795

kennymo
12-20-2017, 09:00 PM
Cool... very cool.

No I need a 795

You are in luck, they're cheap like borscht, and sturdy as a Ukrainian grandmother....

Not to step on toes, but wouldn't this likely fit the papoose and other Marlin clip fed semis? I seem to recall there's an earlier and later style magazine (this is obviously the newer one), but I can't recall what year they switched over. It was stamped into the package of the last 795 mag I bought, 'all Marlin semi auto manufactured after such and such a date'. Sometime in the 90's I think?

Deuce-deuce
12-20-2017, 09:13 PM
You are in luck, they're cheap like borscht, and sturdy as a Ukrainian grandmother....

Not to step on toes, but wouldn't this likely fit the papoose and other Marlin clip fed semis? I seem to recall there's an earlier and later style magazine (this is obviously the newer one), but I can't recall what year they switched over. It was stamped into the package of the last 795 mag I bought, 'all Marlin semi auto manufactured after such and such a date'. Sometime in the 90's I think?

I was just googling around the same thing... I'm getting conflicting reports if it will work in a papoose. It'd be uber cool if it did.

kennymo
12-20-2017, 09:23 PM
I was just googling around the same thing... I'm getting conflicting reports if it will work in a papoose. It'd be uber cool if it did.

I know the Marlin 7 shot factory magazines are the same for both models.....fits a few others as well.

blacksmithden
12-20-2017, 09:24 PM
I'll be honest and admit that Id never heard of a Papoose before. If it takes the same magazines as the 795, then these should work.

kennymo
12-20-2017, 09:28 PM
I'll be honest and admit that Id never heard of a Papoose before. If it takes the same magazines as the 795, then these should work.

Think takedown 795 in a floating suitcase with a couple of magazines. Basically their take on the survival rifle, I like them better than the Henry due to the stock not being shaped like a football.

Tomorrow's mission should be slipping into WSS one last time to see if the one on the rack survived the onslaught of the last price drop....

blacksmithden
12-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Think takedown 795 in a floating suitcase with a couple of magazines. Basically their take on the survival rifle, I like them better than the Henry due to the stock not being shaped like a football.

Tomorrow's mission should be slipping into WSS one last time to see if the one on the rack survived the onslaught of the last price drop....

Damn....it doesn't look like Cabelas carries them, and WSS is stripped bare. Hummm....damn it you guys...I already have to buy a 795 tomorrow to test these things...now I need ANOTHER gun. It's ALL YOUR FAULT...at least when "she" asks, it's all your fault. :)

Dewey Cox
12-20-2017, 10:26 PM
Business expense.
As all my non business owning friends tell me "Just write it off."
I guess then it's free?

wolver
12-21-2017, 12:34 AM
Any truth to the rumor that Marlin is coming out with a pistol version of the 795?

linung
12-21-2017, 12:52 AM
I think I'll wait for v2 with that crank loading handle so I don't end up with a sore thumb!

:evil1:

IJ22
12-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Any truth to the rumor that Marlin is coming out with a pistol version of the 795?

If they just stamp them with "designed and manufactured for Marlin rifles" you should be ok as long as they don't change the law. I don't think the RCMP wants their "10/22 platform" and "inherently designed" offerings tested in court, since they are so obviously outside of what the law actually says.

lone-wolf
12-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Damn....it doesn't look like Cabelas carries them, and WSS is stripped bare. Hummm....damn it you guys...I already have to buy a 795 tomorrow to test these things...now I need ANOTHER gun. It's ALL YOUR FAULT...at least when "she" asks, it's all your fault. :)

If you're looking to sell the rifles post-testing, I always wanted to try out a 795.

RobertMcC
12-21-2017, 11:30 AM
If you're looking to sell the rifles post-testing, I always wanted to try out a 795.

DO IT.... I love my Marlin 70 HC. Its the pre 795.

blacksmithden
12-21-2017, 04:38 PM
If they just stamp them with "designed and manufactured for Marlin rifles" you should be ok as long as they don't change the law. I don't think the RCMP wants their "10/22 platform" and "inherently designed" offerings tested in court, since they are so obviously outside of what the law actually says.

The drum portion of the magazine isnt stamped with anything. Without the adapter neck, its just a drum full of 22LR that doesnt fit ANY gun. The adapter neck has 795 on it....and theres no pistol version of it, so everything is good. If for some reason they isolate out the 795, just switch the adapter neck...which isnt a magazine on its own either. We do have the design for other rifles already laid out. So...this begs the question...is the drum a magazine ? Is the adapter neck a magazine ?? Im guessing that this will add a whole new batch of WTF headaches to the legal end of things. As long as it doesnt fit a pistol, no laws broken. :)

SIR VEYOR
12-21-2017, 05:02 PM
The drum, no laws broken. :)

RCMP : Challenge accepted! Here, hold the maple syrup!

Deuce-deuce
12-21-2017, 05:08 PM
The drum portion of the magazine isnt stamped with anything. Without the adapter neck, its just a drum full of 22LR that doesnt fit ANY gun. The adapter neck has 795 on it....and theres no pistol version of it, so everything is good. If for some reason they isolate out the 795, just switch the adapter neck...which isnt a magazine on its own either. We do have the design for other rifles already laid out. So...this begs the question...is the drum a magazine ? Is the adapter neck a magazine ?? Im guessing that this will add a whole new batch of WTF headaches to the legal end of things. As long as it doesnt fit a pistol, no laws broken. :)

Careful now... there is Canadian case law that says a magazine body is a prohibited device.

blacksmithden
12-21-2017, 05:10 PM
Careful now... there is Canadian case law that says a magazine body is a prohibited device.

This is true...but it can still fit in a gun, right ? This magazine "body" doesnt fit in any gun, right ?

blacksmithden
12-21-2017, 05:18 PM
RCMP : Challenge accepted! Here, hold the maple syrup!

Lets not call it a challenge. Im sure they will get around to it in their own time....if they can stop sexually harassing each other long enough. Lol. Its more of a new twist that nobody has seen before. Remember...this is the first magazine that 'can' be adapted to fit pretty much any 22lr....IF......we build the adapter neck for it. We already had the 10/22 pretty much ready to go when the mounties decided to save all the all the babies in Canada by banning everything over 10 rounds from us evil plinkes. As is stands right now, they dont have a leg to stand on. No pistol, no problem. If the cssa wins the 10/22 case, add $39.99 to your toy budget because we'll have the adapters for those made up in no time.

Deuce-deuce
12-21-2017, 05:36 PM
This is true...but it can still fit in a gun, right ? This magazine "body" doesnt fit in any gun, right ?

True... but can't hold ammo. How is something that can't hold any rounds an over capacity magazine? Logic, eh.

Anyways. I see no legal issues with your product.

If a papoose pops up I'll be ordering one.

SIR VEYOR
12-21-2017, 06:15 PM

Have you tried mating it to an AR lower yet with duct tape to fire a round?

Deuce-deuce
12-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Have you tried mating it to an AR lower yet with duct tape to fire a round?

You know... with no feed lips it could probably be rigged to just puke out all the rounds. Full auto, like.

If a fellow was to rig up a trigger to said device and it puked out all the rounds with a single pull....
I'm not sure what you'd need to do this... perhaps a shoe lace, Popsicle stick, paper staple, maybe chewing gum and a port hole to BSD's brain would be helpful

blacksmithden
12-21-2017, 06:38 PM
If you take the adapter neck and follower bits and pieces off, you 'can' fill them...and if you let go of the rotor, it does go full auto....live, unfired 22 cartridges EVERYWHERE. My best guess at velocity would be 50 fps...and its full slam fire...no trigger pull required....or even a gun for that matter. :)

lone-wolf
12-21-2017, 06:45 PM
If you take the adapter neck and follower bits and pieces off, you 'can' fill them...and if you let go of the rotor, it does go full auto....live, unfired 22 cartridges EVERYWHERE.

Sounds like you have first hand knowledge? lol

blacksmithden
12-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Sounds like you have first hand knowledge? lol

I was warned. LOL. :)

Deuce-deuce
12-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Atodaso

blacksmithden
12-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Not good news. They need some reworking. Due to the height of the stack, the cartriges want to catch the front of the mag too often....not really nose diving, but not clearing the edge of the mag everytime either. Once again, this project is on hold until we come up with a fix. This is why they dont put people on the first build of rockets. Lol. The good news is that the drums themselves function flawlessly. This is just a setback, not the end. :)

lone-wolf
12-23-2017, 02:42 PM
Maybe you should talk to dlask about matching one to their tuff22 receiver.

blacksmithden
12-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Just had a thought on them. My brain is still stuck in Ruger 10/22 design mode. We're still at the range...need to try a little modification. Will get back to you on this in a bit.

Deuce-deuce
12-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Not good news. They need some reworking. Due to the height of the stack, the cartriges want to catch the front of the mag too often....not really nose diving, but not clearing the edge of the mag everytime either. Once again, this project is on hold until we come up with a fix. This is why they dont put people on the first build of rockets. Lol. The good news is that the drums themselves function flawlessly. This is just a setback, not the end. :)
Sounds like it's the angle of the dangle... perhaps the weight of the loaded drum.
I hope it works out. I'm keen on your project

SIR VEYOR
12-23-2017, 04:49 PM
Just had a thought on them. My brain is still stuck in Ruger 10/22 design mode. We're still at the range...need to try a little modification. Will get back to you on this in a bit.

No rush. Been 7+ yrs from first rumours, what's a few hours, days, months now? Final turnover is always longer than expected.

blacksmithden
12-23-2017, 04:58 PM
No joy. I was wondering if I could file a tiny round grove out of the front of the mag adapter but it wont work. The feed ramp is literally dead even with the leading edge of the adapter. Doing anything with it would actually make it worse. What we really need for this is an adapter with a banana shape. Unfortunately, I think we're a little short on a set of stamping dies and a stamping press. Never fear...the Wright brothers didnt get it right on the first try either. Never give up ! :)

Grizz Axxemann
12-24-2017, 01:32 PM
While you're dicking around with that drum, Den... see if you can come up with an idea for a 25 round mag for the Cooey/Lakefield/Savage 64. I'd say do up an adapter for the drum, but it'll be way too big and clunky for a 7 year old. I can front you a mag for design and testing if you need one.

Kingjenky
09-16-2018, 05:13 PM
hows it going with this project .....im very interested!!!

SIR VEYOR
09-16-2018, 08:08 PM
hows it going with this project .....im very interested!!!

Since you’re obviously 22 drum hunting, anything not currently in retail is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.

Please google grizzly drum mag for the 12GA version and it should be sufficient foreshadowing for you...

Kingjenky
09-16-2018, 08:49 PM
Since you’re obviously 22 drum hunting, anything not currently in retail is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.

Please google grizzly drum mag for the 12GA version and it should be sufficient foreshadowing for you...

I’m always looking for drum mags. And just stumbled across this thread after stumbling across tundra Supply after reading some of the blacksmiths posts.....I’ll google your suggestion but wtf is foreshadowing lol!!!
GSG drum mags are still available through IRG.....pinned of course!

blacksmithden
09-16-2018, 09:39 PM
Sorry guys. Life has been getting in the way of this project for the past few months. I'm hoping to work on it after the store opens.

SIR VEYOR
09-17-2018, 05:37 AM
Sorry guys. Life has been getting in the way of this project for the past few months. I'm hoping to work on it after the store opens.

No rush. Been 7+ yrs from first rumours, what's a few hours, days, months now? Final turnover is always longer than expected.

8,9,10+ years, be still pulling for it. Just not going with the “happily surprised” should it ever kick.